Interesting debate on AOTC

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Interesting debate on AOTC

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I had over at SB
http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showt ... adid=33444

What do you people think of this and why the Acclamators didn't just destroy the cloneships or the Coreships didn't blow away the army and so on?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Maybe the Acclamators did destroy some ships offscreen. As for the Trade Fed coreships, weren't they just taking off? Maybe they didn't have enough time to power up their shields and weapons.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Jim Raynor wrote:Maybe the Acclamators did destroy some ships offscreen. As for the Trade Fed coreships, weren't they just taking off? Maybe they didn't have enough time to power up their shields and weapons.
They didn't have the time, as evidenced by the fact that the SPHAT fire was able to cut directly into the hull.

There was a cut scene of Jedi attempting to disable some Core ships. Perhaps the Acclamators were reluctant to kill them?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Perhaps the acclamators didn't shoot down any because with those 6 mt ground support weapons and those 200 gt medium :twisted: turbolasers you can't take down a battleship with decent shielding.
Supermod
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

maybe the acclamators waited for them to get clear so that collateral damage from destroying them wouldn't take out most of the clone army.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Perhaps Palpy wanted the sepertist to escape. That way, they could warn other systems of what happened. Also, since they got away, the other systems would believe that they too could resist. If all the seperatist on Geonosis had been wiped out, other systems might be too scared to leave the Republic. Sidious was probably walking a fine line between giving them a reason to leave, but not making them too scared to leave.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

USAF Ace wrote:Perhaps Palpy wanted the sepertist to escape. That way, they could warn other systems of what happened. Also, since they got away, the other systems would believe that they too could resist. If all the seperatist on Geonosis had been wiped out, other systems might be too scared to leave the Republic. Sidious was probably walking a fine line between giving them a reason to leave, but not making them too scared to leave.
Why bother with 'walking a line'? Seperatist or Republic, he is in control, as Dooku is his apprentice. It's all just one big puppet game, and any system that defects is still in his indirect control...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

SirNitram wrote:It's all just one big puppet game, and any system that defects is still in his indirect control...
Yes, but only relatively few systems have left the Republic. The more that leave, the greater the threat is to the Republic, and the more power Sidious will be allowed to get. If the Clone Troopers had killed everyone on Geonosis, less neutral systems will leave because of fear of being equally wiped out. He has to use enough force for the systems to want to leave, but not enough to scare them into staying. Count Dooku can lobby all he wants, but actions speak louder than words.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

USAF Ace wrote:Perhaps Palpy wanted the sepertist to escape. That way, they could warn other systems of what happened. Also, since they got away, the other systems would believe that they too could resist. If all the seperatist on Geonosis had been wiped out, other systems might be too scared to leave the Republic. Sidious was probably walking a fine line between giving them a reason to leave, but not making them too scared to leave.
The problem with this argument is that Palpatine could have had no direct control over the battle. Most, (if not all) of the battle was ultimately controlled by Master Yoda, and might I add he did a tremendous job. Master Yoda certainly took none of Palpatines direct commands during battle. Palpatine is sitting comfortably back on Coruscant waiting for good old Dooku to bring him the Death Star plans.
Boycott France
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Post by The Episiarch »

I'll go with the theory that the Accalmators don't want collateral damage on its own clone army.
I'd imagine it'll be more than a bit hard to lend fire support with 6 mt yield guns.
But then, there's the issue of power setting...
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Perhaps Palpy wanted the sepertist to escape. That way, they could warn other systems of what happened. Also, since they got away, the other systems would believe that they too could resist. If all the seperatist on Geonosis had been wiped out, other systems might be too scared to leave the Republic. Sidious was probably walking a fine line between giving them a reason to leave, but not making them too scared to leave.
This would have to be for my money the best explaination, I mean had the Acclamators, just destroyed all the sepratists on planet, and allowed none to escape, then where does that leave him? I mean he has just been granted emergency powers by the senate, had the crisis actually been resolved right there and then, he would have to relinquish that power since it's doubtful he would have had the support base to remain in control..

However one might also point out that in order to gain as much information from the battle as possible bombing them from orbit wouldn't have exactly gone to great lengths to help that situation. I mean in SW it does generally seem that there is no 'paper trail' just data, so it's in Palpy's interest twice to not unleashe 200 gigatons of power on them.

Similarly, he needed his apprentice to get out of there alive with the Death Star plans, so that also rules out just bombing them. I know that a lot of people might say that they would have only bombed the sepratists ground troops and not their facilities, however I must point out that the only reason that the ground troops were deployed was in order to counter the clone troopers, so no troopers on the ground, battle bots stay in the facilities and make it even harder for the Republic to get the info, giving them time to insure that it is destroyed...

Did I make any sence above their at all?[/quote]
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

This would have to be for my money the best explaination, I mean had the Acclamators, just destroyed all the sepratists on planet, and allowed none to escape, then where does that leave him? I mean he has just been granted emergency powers by the senate, had the crisis actually been resolved right there and then, he would have to relinquish that power since it's doubtful he would have had the support base to remain in control..

However one might also point out that in order to gain as much information from the battle as possible bombing them from orbit wouldn't have exactly gone to great lengths to help that situation. I mean in SW it does generally seem that there is no 'paper trail' just data, so it's in Palpy's interest twice to not unleashe 200 gigatons of power on them.

Similarly, he needed his apprentice to get out of there alive with the Death Star plans, so that also rules out just bombing them. I know that a lot of people might say that they would have only bombed the sepratists ground troops and not their facilities, however I must point out that the only reason that the ground troops were deployed was in order to counter the clone troopers, so no troopers on the ground, battle bots stay in the facilities and make it even harder for the Republic to get the info, giving them time to insure that it is destroyed...

Did I make any sence above their at all?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Subnormal
Padawan Learner
Location: Third Orbital of the Sol System, North American Continent, USA, Pennsylvania,

Post by Subnormal »

Well if we all think about it, the movies aren't made by highly intelligent people or Jar Jar wouldn't exist. It makes sense that the Acclamators didn't blow the TF spheres up, imagine what a massive explosion from a massive ship would do to the ground forces which included Jedi which are very priceless. Seeing as the Clones need more than one SPHAT to take out the ship, they may of thought it a better Idea to disable and then use gravity to destroy it, instead of blowing it into a massive ball of flying metal and extreme heat, possibly causing a chain reaction blowing up all other Speratist ships, and whatever was around them, including the clone army which only consisted of 200k units, which would be needed for later conflict. Plus you don't have to destroy an army to defeat a seperatist movement, you just need to destroy it's leaders.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I agree with Dooku, here. The purpose of the mission to Geonosis was to rescue as many Jedi as possible. Destroying the planet from orbit probably would have killed them all. Yoda, IMO, was sacrificing many of the clone troopers in order to save the Jedi, and his mission would have been fruitless had he just bombarded the planet from space. Once the TF spheres were spaceborne, it is possible that they outgunned even the Acclamators in their numbers. Remember that we did not see very many Acclamators on Geonosis. It is possible that the rest of them were not ready until after the battle was already over, or it might be that all of the Acclamators were landing in order to dispatch their troops. Remember that the LAATs are not space-capable. They cannot be launched from space down to the planet, but must be carried down to a low altitude by the Acclamators first. It is possible that they were either still deploying their forces when the TF ships took off, or that they had not yet lifted off again because they were waiting for their troops to re-embark.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

well the attack of the clone cross section book

Post by omegaLancer »

In the SWICS book for AOTC, it state that the Republic blockage was broken by the Genioan figther crafts, allowing the Trade federation ships to escape. It very likily that any engagement in the Atmoshpere of the planet would have resulted in the death of the Jedi, the clone troopers and most of the life forms on the planet... Just look at the effect the destruction of one ship had..

The Republic's Ship most have attempt an intercept either in obrit or the space beyond and found a screen of fighters between them and the tradeship. All the fighters had a dozen of tractor/pressor beams, which either was used to hold the Acclamtors in place and or block any missile fire directed at the fleeing Federation ships..

The Republic had no fighter report, and even thought the seperatist fighters cold not harm them, they must have provide enought of an distraction to allow the Larger federation ships to escape...
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Bringing out the 200GT HTLs would be a dangerous escalation of hostilities, like using tactical nukes in real combat. The Republic, with propraganda and public relations in mind, was just using Jedi and conventional weaponry.