"Count Dooku's "solar sail" is nothing of the

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Edam
Padawan Learner

"Count Dooku's "solar sail" is nothing of the

Post by Lord Edam »

Or maybe it is...

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc ... 20809.html

They are solar sails. NASA has been experimenting with this idea for decades. It's a concept based on real science. The idea is that the solar wind energy from a star could be caught by large sails to push spacecraft through interstellar space.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It is a real tech being investigated, but the reason the alternate explanations are being made is the sail's surface area is too small for it's observed acceleration.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

SirNitram wrote:It is a real tech being investigated, but the reason the alternate explanations are being made is the sail's surface area is too small for it's observed acceleration.
Actually, never in AOTC do you see Dooku's ship accelerate with the sail open. When he takes off from Geonosis, his sail is not deployed. He doesn't deploy it until he is in orbit near the TF vessels, and is at what appears to be a constant velocity. The ICS makes very clear that the sail is ornimental, or somehow related to the hyperdrive. It does not drive the ship at sublight.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Lord Edam
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Edam »

ICS speculates about what it does without saying it is not a normal solar sail. many people(including our own Darth Wong) insist it can't possibly be a solar sail, but the ship's designer says it catches light from the sun to move the ship.

who do we believe?
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Lord Edam wrote:but the ship's designer says it catches light from the sun to move the ship.
What ship designers? Where are you getting this info?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I prefer to believe the Star Wars Jedi Council. If they insist that the solar sail draws energy from stars, then I'm assuming thats the truth. This would help "pull" them into hyperspace I'm guessing.
Boycott France
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I'd believe the ICS. It's impossible for a normal solar sail to get to go transgalactic.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

Thrawn, Im not saying the sails power alone will get them across the galaxy. The sail probably helps them enterhyperspace by drawing power from a start, thus "pulling" it into hyperspace.
Boycott France
Subnormal
Padawan Learner
Location: Third Orbital of the Sol System, North American Continent, USA, Pennsylvania,

Post by Subnormal »

Here should be the answer for the "Official source of the Force." Starwars.com: AOTC Databank: Genosion Solar Sailor: Epanded Universe.

Count Dooku's solar sailer is a hybrid of obscure technologies, its core body being a modified Punworcca 116-class sloop while the sail was provided by the Count himself. Geonosian engineers, who have long had a history of designing atmospheric sailing vessels, had no problem merging the two into the finished craft.

The term solar sail is a misnomer, since Count Dooku's interstellar sloop uses an as-yet unknown brand of energetic propulsion far more exotic than stellar radiation. Dooku acquired the delicate and ancient sail from mysterious Gree artisans, who developed a technology that harnesses supralight emissions for interstellar travel.

The solar sailer, like other Geonosian ships, uses a sophisticated array of narrow tractor/repulsor beams as offensive grapples and steering aids when in flight, affording the vessel an impressive maneuverability.
The power for it's propulsion is unknown.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

I read somewhere that Saxton plans to, or already has, gone into further post-ICS detail regarding the Solar Sailer. (Space limitations in the ICS preventing his thoughts from being printed in that regard) I think that it uses the sails only for auxilliary or 'pleasure cruise' purposes. The real punch comes from forgotten Gree technologies. This reconciles both Saxton's official commentary and the intent of the modelmaker.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I was thinking that the sail is just for show, and in the ICS, it says it has "no detectable support system", so I was thinking that it's systems are hidden somewhere in the ship.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Subnormal
Padawan Learner
Location: Third Orbital of the Sol System, North American Continent, USA, Pennsylvania,

Post by Subnormal »

Whats more Canon the Official Starwars Website or a lucas film liscensed ICS.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Doomriser wrote:I read somewhere that Saxton plans to, or already has, gone into further post-ICS detail regarding the Solar Sailer. (Space limitations in the ICS preventing his thoughts from being printed in that regard) I think that it uses the sails only for auxilliary or 'pleasure cruise' purposes. The real punch comes from forgotten Gree technologies. This reconciles both Saxton's official commentary and the intent of the modelmaker.
He has commented on this recent sw.com posting, but only in private e-mail. It was very humorous, and also a bit sad. Whether he will address this in public or not, I don't know.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

countdooku wrote:Whats more Canon the Official Starwars Website or a lucas film liscensed ICS.
Star Wars Fan Question: Does Darth Vader disappear at the end of Rotj
Jedi Council: Yes.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Lord Edam wrote:ICS speculates about what it does without saying it is not a normal solar sail. many people(including our own Darth Wong) insist it can't possibly be a solar sail, but the ship's designer says it catches light from the sun to move the ship.

who do we believe?
ICS is official (in the LFL meaning of the term). What it posted on starwars.com is not.

Incidentally, it cannot be a true solar sailor. The surface area of the ship's sail is just not big enough. Science and logic overrides quotes that have nothing to do with any EU material. In fact, while a brilliant designer, Chang has no authority to say anything about the ships he designs for the movies. He should never have been talking about that in the first place.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Subnormal
Padawan Learner

Post by Subnormal »

Ossus did you just say www.starwars.com is not official compared to the books, ouch. I believe it has been stated especially on TPM VHS which clearly states in bright bold yellow letters Starwars.com as being the "Official Source of the Force." Seeing as this should have some Canonisity. Plus wouldn't it be more official as GL could personally be able to make a change if something is done incorrectly or not to his liking. The Solar Sail is a Monomer The statement about it being a Solar sail contradicts what is in the official Solar Sailer section of the website.

Why wouldn't this website be OFFICIAL information: http://www.starwars.com/databank/starsh ... index.html

This is how the Official site states how it works. http://www.starwars.com/databank/starsh ... er/eu.html

I believe this to be highly more official than the Concept Artists words, He probably meant that he got the Idea of the sails from Nasa and such, not that they are in fact "Solar" sails. The website under databank has what I would consider to be OFFICIAL information, The website should surely be more official than a book that once it is printed cannot be changed or edited for problems, while the Official website can be and if any errors were to occur they could change or edit them. I believe the Webpage should come before Novelizations and rescourse books in the list of Canonnism.
[/url]
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

The novelization should be higher. What you say is a binary solution.

Generally, a webpage is considered a less plausible source than a book. Starting in secondary in my school, for big projects, you are required to have some book sources (half) and a MAXIMUM of half from the Internet.

I think Starwars.com is probably official, but so is the ICS.

Websites can change to the latest information, but there is a flip side, which is that they often contain UNconfirmed information because a webpage's data is so new and they know if it is wrong, they can just remove it. Rest assured that when the data or idea is fully confirmed, it'll find its way into a book.

The official policy would probably therefore say both are equal. Our unofficially sanctioned (by LFL anyway) policy of trying to assess credibility within the officials by means similar to how we will analyze a real world event will give the website points for modern-ness, but the book with credibility points for using fully-confirmed data.
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

There is, for that matter, even a precedent for the sail in ST:DS9. Specifically, good old Ben Sisko built a replica of an antique Bajoran solar sailing craft. The craft was equipped with ridiculously small sails, and the sails ended up propelling the solar sailing craft at FTL speeds, apparently because the large surface area of the sails interacted with tachyon streams that would not affect a more compact and massive starship, or some such technobabble. (The question is, of course, why interstellar dust, with its enormous surface area relative to mass, did not go FTL and bombard Cardassian space.)

The explanation Mr. Saxton provides, if he does eventually provide one, will almost certainly be something similar, though likely more compelling and with less babble.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

The solar sail can be used for moving the ship in a way that it acts like a solar pannel and instead of using the traditional SW power cells for spacecrafst and other transports the solar sail can collect energy from the sun and use solar power to move Dookus ship.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean