What if: Thrawn joins the NR

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

What if: Thrawn joins the NR

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Assume that Thrawn realises somewhat before the Thrawn trilogy that the Empire is certain to collapse without the Emperor, and that his best bet is to defect to the New Republic.

Assuming he convinces them to take him on, perhaps initially as the head of a strike force attacking some warlord or other, how might things play out from there?
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Thrawn dies horrible for treason when the resurrected Emperor gets his hands on him within the next 2 years
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Being thoroughly familiar with their artforms, Thrawn will have no problem devising anti-Imperial strategy. 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

He's assassinated in fairly short order.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

Has Thrawn ever commited any war crimes, though?

Well, apart from that one little genocide on a species he couldn't understand...
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

000 wrote:He's assassinated in fairly short order.
There were many Imperial soldiers and officers who integrated into the NR without being assassinated, despite the strong bias against those even with spotless records and defamation of figures like Leia Organa Solo. Though Thrawn would have been by far the highest-ranked figure to join up, he would have the advantages of being both completely unknown, and an alien, facts that might throw some potential threats off his tail. Certainly, I doubt he could ever rise that far, or accrue much influence in the NR government, but I do see him surviving at least up until the Emperor's resurrection (although I expect he might align himself with the Remnant after it stabilized years later, assuming it ever did without his and Pellaeon's presence).
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Given that Grand Admiral Grant was allowed to retire peacefully to civillian life under the NR, I have no reason to believe Thrawn would be accorded any less favor.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

I think he'd do well and the NR would enjoy some victories thanks to him.
However the NR still gets flattened come the Vong invasion because their leaders are still worthless shmucks.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

I meant by Palpatine, not members of the NR. Sheesh. :P
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

000 wrote:I meant by Palpatine, not members of the NR. Sheesh. :P
Wankatine's too much of a megalomaniac loon building his Eclipses and his space guns and his omgwtfmegafleets-that-i'll-park-around-one-world-year-that's-clever to go around assassinating every Imperial that joins the NR. That'd be admitting he cares.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

Thrawn wasn't just any Imperial; he was a Grand Admiral-- the highest possible military rank-- with access to a tremendous amount of Imperial state secrets, resources, and so forth. He would be a obvious target.

Regardless of his mental state, Palpatine after Endor kept close tabs on the outside Galaxy. It's been heavily implied, for example, that he was behind the assassination of an Imperial Admiral who made peace overtures to the New Republic involving his grand-niece.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Then why didn't Palpatine go and bump off Grant?

Grant was around enough so that Alpha Blue and Jan Ors had to keep tabs on him after the DE business.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Thrawn knows Palpitine probably better then anyone by the time of HTTE and frankly I expect he would catch on far quicker then most people that he is in fact back.

Part of hte reason the New Republic got crashed by the Dark Empire Imperial forces was that they had taken quite a body blow from Thrawns campaigns, combined with key industrial damage and the loss of key planets to the Empire.

Without those losses and WITH Thrawn working for the New Republic there is actually a decent chance of the New Republic fleets meeting Palpitines forces and stopping them far sooner then the Republic managed to.

Thrawn is after all *VERY* familiar with the tactics, capabilities and personalities of the Imperials he will be fighting against. With that knowledge in his hand and probably after proving himself, my guess is that he'll be promoted to a strategic command position in the NRDF, working with tactical commanders like Wedge, Ackabar, Bel Iblis and so on.

I completly fail to see Palpitine getting a free 'assassinate Thrawn' pass given how he has failed to hit the major NR people like Leia, Luke, Han, Ackbar, Wedge, Mon Mothma with any success at all. Its not an impossible move, but its hardly something I'd consider to be a forgone conclusion. Especialy with Thrawns knowledge of Imperial Intelligence.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Nitpick: Ackbar, if anything, is a strategic commander who likes to fight in the field.