Kathleen Kennedy's management of the franchise

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kathleen Kennedy's management of the franchise

Post by ray245 » 2020-01-17 06:46am

Mange wrote:
2020-01-16 11:15pm
ray245 wrote:
2020-01-16 03:39pm
Gandalf wrote:
2020-01-16 02:56pm
So they'll throw out some OT era crap like Rogue One. Problem solved.
Except Solo proved having OT era stuff isn't enough to attract audience.
My thought at the time was "Why would I want to watch anyone else than Ford playing Han Solo?" After I watched the generic heist movie, the answer was "I wouldn't".
The fact that Kennedy couldn't understand there was no appeal for such a project, when it's so apparent when you look up at what the fanbase are interested in goes to show how bad of a judgement she made in the production of Star Wars. I think her success in managing Star Wars was more of a matter of luck than good management.

Any main trilogy movie will make money no matter what. So I will not necessarily say she was entirely responsible for the success of Ep 7-9. And even then, Ep 9 declining box office shows she made a big misjudgement in crafting a new era of Star Wars that can stand on their own.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire » 2020-01-17 10:02pm

ray245 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Solo was released at [rounds to] the same time as an extremely divisive main-line SW film, and was barely marketed to boot. One assumes if the Internet has noticed, so have Disney's forecasting department - there's plenty of space for profitable one-offs.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb

bilateralrope
Sith Marauder

Post by bilateralrope » 2020-01-17 10:10pm

Darth Yan wrote:
2020-01-17 12:13am
I actually rather liked Solo. And link for the above?

I'm cautiously optimistic if the Old republic era stuff is true. That's an untapped era.
They have a whole galaxy to play with, if only they were willing to move away from 'fate of the galaxy' or character backstory movies. Sure, they might have to move to TV series so they have more running time for worldbuilding, but I'm fine with that.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron » 2020-01-18 01:20am

IMO, 400 BBY isn't far enough removed from the saga since there shouldn't be any Sith involvement and the Republic would already be demilitarized. That's assuming they don't retcon the shit out of the lore, of course.

Gimme 1,000 BBY or earlier, please.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta » 2020-01-18 05:01am

Esquire wrote:
2020-01-17 10:02pm
ray245 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Solo was released at [rounds to] the same time as an extremely divisive main-line SW film, and was barely marketed to boot. One assumes if the Internet has noticed, so have Disney's forecasting department - there's plenty of space for profitable one-offs.
It was also a significantly troubled production that went through directors like mexican food through unwary tourists and got sent out to die next to Avengers Endgame.
ray245 wrote:
2020-01-17 06:46am
The fact that Kennedy couldn't understand there was no appeal for such a project, when it's so apparent when you look up at what the fanbase are interested in goes to show how bad of a judgement she made in the production of Star Wars. I think her success in managing Star Wars was more of a matter of luck than good management.
I think the problem is the opposite. If you look at what the fanbase says it wants you'd do exactly what Disney have done. You'd continue the saga to the "original plan" of nine episodes and noodle around with backstories for the OT, whilst trying to stay as far away from the prequels as possible.

The problem is that planning according to "what fans want" is like planning your tea by asking your five year old what they want, the answer is always ice cream and that's ultimately not satisfying even if it's fun just the once.

An attempt to leverage the "original 9 episode plan" was doomed because the story was conclusively finished in episode 6, and character prequels are always constrained by the need to line up to the beginning of that character's arc. (In fact, there should be a special room in Hollywood, and in that room is a man who you have to go and ask for permission to make any prequel to anything. The man has a brick on his desk, and his only actual contribution is to throw the brick at the head of anyone who walks in the door. So your idea for a prequel has to be so compelling that you are willing to take a brick to the face to see it).

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 » 2020-01-18 05:57am

Vendetta wrote:
2020-01-18 05:01am
I think the problem is the opposite. If you look at what the fanbase says it wants you'd do exactly what Disney have done. You'd continue the saga to the "original plan" of nine episodes and noodle around with backstories for the OT, whilst trying to stay as far away from the prequels as possible.

The problem is that planning according to "what fans want" is like planning your tea by asking your five year old what they want, the answer is always ice cream and that's ultimately not satisfying even if it's fun just the once.

An attempt to leverage the "original 9 episode plan" was doomed because the story was conclusively finished in episode 6, and character prequels are always constrained by the need to line up to the beginning of that character's arc. (In fact, there should be a special room in Hollywood, and in that room is a man who you have to go and ask for permission to make any prequel to anything. The man has a brick on his desk, and his only actual contribution is to throw the brick at the head of anyone who walks in the door. So your idea for a prequel has to be so compelling that you are willing to take a brick to the face to see it).
That is exactly why I dislike her management. One of the most important thing as a creatively minded person is not let the fans dictate what kind of story you are telling. Sure, you can listen to the fans and understand what they want, but that is different from letting them dictate everything. You need to have an actual creative backbone instead and be better than your average fan on the street.

The sequel era could work, if they managed to create a Sequel era into its own thing, and not merely a copy of the OT. The problem is Disney and Kennedy were effectively listening to the likes of RLM people, who are complete idiots when it comes to analysing and understanding why the OT worked. There was no deep thinking on the direction of the Star Wars franchise.

Story-telling is not a democracy. If you listen to every feedback on what kind of story you should tell, and give in to them, you will end up with a mess of a story that no one is happy with.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange » 2020-01-18 01:58pm

mr friendly guy wrote:
2020-01-16 10:17am
Well ROS made $1 billion, so its definitely a decent outing. I wouldn't say its brilliant given the high costs it takes to make a Star Wars movie.
No, also Rogue One had made more money at this point and at a lower budget.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-01-26 09:31pm

You really have to measure "success" for a Star Wars film on a different scale. For most films, hitting a billion is pretty damn good. For a Star Wars film, its ho-hum.

The conclusion to the Skywalker Saga NOT hitting a billion would have been a stunning failure that probably would have caused heads to roll at Disney.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 » 2020-01-27 04:11am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2020-01-26 09:31pm
You really have to measure "success" for a Star Wars film on a different scale. For most films, hitting a billion is pretty damn good. For a Star Wars film, its ho-hum.

The conclusion to the Skywalker Saga NOT hitting a billion would have been a stunning failure that probably would have caused heads to roll at Disney.
Because it's about relative performance with its competitors. If most other big blockbusters having no issue crossing a billion, then you are right to expect SW to cross a billion