Even Teenage Boys Think Women Are Over-Sexualized in Games

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Re: Even Teenage Boys Think Women Are Over-Sexualized in Gam

Post by Balrog »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Balrog wrote:
Kane Starkiller wrote:How much is too often? I don't know, this strikes me as very shoddy survey. Did they even link to the actual paper?
Just reading the initial article you could see the snideness dripping off every word; clearly someone had a point they wanted to prove. Anecdotally I can understand if even teenage boys aren't fans of oversexualization, but I'd wait until a more academic study is done on the issue.
As I understand it, this is precisely what the article is trying to make happen. A proper, controlled, carefully-worded survey on this may never have been done before because everyone just took it for granted. If this loose study can shake that view and other researchers take up the challenge, it can only be a good thing.
I would think there would be better ways to get actual academic investigation done instead of making a faux-study which I have no doubt has already been used as fodder in the echo chambers and as a blunt instrument in debating as some sort of definitive proof.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
trekky0623
Redshirt

Post by trekky0623 »

Balrog wrote: I would think there would be better ways to get actual academic investigation done instead of making a faux-study which I have no doubt has already been used as fodder in the echo chambers and as a blunt instrument in debating as some sort of definitive proof.
None of the people who conducted are professional statisticians. It could be this is the only way they knew to conduct a preliminary survey. That being said, the media should not have ran with it, but as this topic is incredibly divisive, it's no wonder why various blogs decided to run with these results.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Since GamerGate (and even before, depending), the media is going to dive immediately into anything about women in gaming as it's very good click-bait. But it does bring up a good point, for all the press and media attention, what did the whole GamerGate bullshit really accomplish? Have we seen any progress actually made? It just smacks to me of the controversy every few years when a celebrity is airbrushed into an anime character and people throw a fit for two hours, then just continue on like nothing happened.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

TheFeniX wrote:Since GamerGate (and even before, depending), the media is going to dive immediately into anything about women in gaming as it's very good click-bait. But it does bring up a good point, for all the press and media attention, what did the whole GamerGate bullshit really accomplish? Have we seen any progress actually made? It just smacks to me of the controversy every few years when a celebrity is airbrushed into an anime character and people throw a fit for two hours, then just continue on like nothing happened.
Well, according to them, they got a whole bunch of sites to update their ethics policies.

Gamergate's achievements according to them.