World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

I have now got 6 T10s and was featured on a stream.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:I have now got 6 T10s and was featured on a stream.
Nicely done - whose stream? I'm guessing Hindenburg, Zao, Des Moines..?

I did a couple uninspiring games in my new Yorck, then decided to chance it up and take a spin in the Nicholas.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Raskeria played a bit with me (twitch.tv/ferdinandnl). Only a few games, but it was a lot of fun. We were playing Zao.

My T10s so far are Montana (now hilariously buffed), Yamato (8 kill game in her), Des Moines (best support ship), Hindenburg (strongest cruiser), Zao (most versatile), Gearing (shreds anything).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Thanas, how do the Montana and Yamato compare one on one?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here are a few of my best games over the last month:

An Atago game where I decided to say "Screw it", just went into B and promptly killed everything that came close.

A fletcher game where I managed to singlehandedly kill a Kagero, Fubuki and torped both their Yama and Montana. But sadly we lost due to the shitty cyclone mechanic. Really hard to play DD when you can just run into a cruiser at 5km.

My best Fubuki game. Not much to say here.

Playing CV:
Lexington....pretty good ship. This was a game where we were down 400 points, but I made up the difference mostly all by myself. Note the number of fires.

And then there are times.....
A little context here. The saipan has four squadrons of three planes each, 6 torp bombers, 6 fighters total in the air at any moment.
We were in a four CV-battle. we each had a lexington , enemy had a Hiryu.
So I was low-tier.
Our Lexington, mentally challenged as he is, forgot to activate defensive fire and dies to enemy strike 4 minutes into the game.
I am 1vs2.
With 6 fighters and 6 torp bombers I killed 58 planes, sunk one of their carriers and even got their two top-tier DDs (which is hard to do when you have to manual drop with only 6 planes max). All the while defending against two CVs who want to snipe me.
We lose by 4 points.
I have more base XP than the highest winner (in a victory would have been 3k base XP).
...yeah.

Tirpitz game where I got disconnected two minutes in. Came back two minutes later only to be on fire and having torps incoming. Proceeded to wreck face.
I CAN'T HOLD ALL THOSE MEDALS.

...and finally:
The Queen of the Oceans. 8 kills in the mighty Yamato. And it wasn't as if they did not have a Yama too (I killed it). Two thirds of the enemy team sunk by me.
------------
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So I'm still grinding away at getting my Colorado. I just don't play that often so I only get a few K experience per week. I wanted to try playing a higher tier BB so I glanced at buying the Tirpitz. Holy crap...$54 for one ship! Looks like it may be cheaper to buy premium time and grind it rather than simply buy it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Thanas, how do the Montana and Yamato compare one on one?
Missed that question.

Ok, so they recently buffed the Montana.

Her advantages:
- makes way more money than the Yama (25% and more)
- way better at killing cruisers
- higher speed (30 knots Montana LOL, 35 knots Iowa double LOL)
- better AA

Yama has better armor, better secondaries. Her guns will also penetrate Montana, while Montana will not penetrate her head on unless you really get lucky. So IMO Montana is better at everything except than killing the Yama. Yama on the other hand will just kill everything if you let her, but these days she gets focused down hard and she has been way overnerfed IMO.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I made the questionable decision to take my non-elite Yorck into Ranked.

I ended up sending another Yorck, a Myoko, and a Nagato to the bottom and swung the game. It might not be very forgiving in Tier 8-9 games, but top-dog with a team that actually plays together in support? Beast.

More importantly... big sale on NA server this weekend!

I'm torn between the Atlanta, the Tirpitz, the Atago, the Kutozov and the Bylskawica (which isn't even on sale...). Thoughts?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here is my opinion:

Atago is the easiest to play as she is a very forgiving and OP ship IMO.
Kutuzov is as OP, but not as forgiving. However, she will earn you on average a bit more credits (50k per match), but OTOH you cannot take over a match as often as you can in an Atago. Atago will give you a few Kraken games, Kutuzov a more steady income.
Blyska is the best DD in ranked, but you need a good captain (at least AFT, preferably AFT and SE) to unlock her full potential. Do you like stealthfiring without CE? Then she is your ship.
Tirpitz is a great brawler. If you are not a sniper coward, she is great. If you try and snipe from 18+, you will be a shitlord.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Here is my opinion:

Atago is the easiest to play as she is a very forgiving and OP ship IMO.
Kutuzov is as OP, but not as forgiving. However, she will earn you on average a bit more credits (50k per match), but OTOH you cannot take over a match as often as you can in an Atago. Atago will give you a few Kraken games, Kutuzov a more steady income.
Blyska is the best DD in ranked, but you need a good captain (at least AFT, preferably AFT and SE) to unlock her full potential. Do you like stealthfiring without CE? Then she is your ship.
Tirpitz is a great brawler. If you are not a sniper coward, she is great. If you try and snipe from 18+, you will be a shitlord.
Thanks!

I'm assuming the Blys's advantage is the combination of stealth torps, stealth guns, and having 7 of the latter? I was a bit hesitant about the slower rudder/guns.

Though I also discovered that I can currently buy Skyrim, Witcher 3, Portal 2, and Bioshock Infinite for less than the Tirpitz, so I might not buy a ship at all...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Blys torps are not that useful (too few, too short and too slow in the era where everybody skills vigilance and uses hyro) but the guns are awesome.
------------
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Net update: german BBs

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Raesene wrote:Net update: german BBs
Apparently still waiting till update-after-next, or to be added in a midpatch update.

We do get to see the tech tree, at least:

Obvious highlights; the Bismarck at VIII alongside the Tirpitz, and the Gneisnau (Scharnhorst) at VII.

Very interested to see what degree of absurdity they go to with the Tier 9 and 10 ships. Considering the Maus and Waffletraktor, we could see everything from 8x16" guns (H-39) to the vaguely hilarious H-44, because 20" guns are totally reasonable.

The known quantities, for those as excited as me:
SMS Nassau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Nassau (12x11" guns, in the same layout as the deplorable Kawachi).

SMS Kaiser https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Kaiser_(1911) (10x12" guns, in a layout that makes the Konigsberg look supremely symmetrical. This thing hurts my eyes).

SMS Konig https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_K%C3%B6nig (10x12" guns, mercifully mounted IN A LINE. Similar layout to the New York).

SMS Bayern https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Bayern (8x15", large superstructure).

SMS Gneisenau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scharnhor ... battleship (This is a weird one, with 9x11" guns. It's hard to figure that much of an artillery downgrade, but they might have a niche for a (relatively) blistering rate of fire for a BB. Though I doubt it will make the game, at one point they were retrofitted with six torpedo launchers each).

And of course... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismarck-class_battleship
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Rumor about Gneisenau is that she'll get the 6x15'' battery considered for her rebuild after the severe bomb hit as stock ship to make her more competitive and the premium Scharnhorst will get the 9x11'' they carried as-built.

I'm also looking forward to Dunkerque - 2x4 guns, all forward ? Yes please - and Richelieu ASAP afterwards.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I hope Gneisenau gets the step in her armor deck modeled so 8in cruisers can citadel her from across the map. They won't use H-44, they'll use the H-42 for the X level. 42cm guns and 70,000 something tons, and the last H series even remotely intended for construction.

The new fort game mode is pointlessly stupid at the moment.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I hope Gneisenau gets the step in her armor deck modeled so 8in cruisers can citadel her from across the map. They won't use H-44, they'll use the H-42 for the X level. 42cm guns and 70,000 something tons, and the last H series even remotely intended for construction.

The new fort game mode is pointlessly stupid at the moment.
Bigger guns, better distributed than the Montana, but less of them? That would work.

Having not gotten to Tier X yet I can't talk about the Fort mode myself. From what I've seen of replays it seems like they need to (1) have more health so it's more of a concerted action to knock them out and (2) different maps from simply "Domination + annoying buildings".

Maybe an attack/defense mode with asymmetrical teams?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They need to make the forts more then a single gun at a single position, otherwise all they do is distract a battleship for one salvo. They should make the forts be several batteries that act at least slightly intelligently and cover multiple arcs, presently its target what's closest. It'd also make a lot more sense if a team started actually controlling them.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Several misconceptions: The T10 german BB will actually be larger than Yamato, and carry 12 guns in four turrets.
http://imgur.com/a/aDEgJ
Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

The H-39 will be the T9, with H-41 being the B-hull upgrade.

Gneisenau will have 3*2 guns, 15 inch.
Scharnhorst will have orginal armament plus torps.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Several misconceptions: The T10 german BB will actually be larger than Yamato, and carry 12 guns in four turrets.
http://imgur.com/a/aDEgJ
Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

The H-39 will be the T9, with H-41 being the B-hull upgrade.
Not sure. As much as I like seeing the absurd what-if late-war prototypes and concepts made real, the Yamato should be the Queen of the Battleships because the IJN was actually insane enough to build it. For all it good she did them...

She will retain unquestioned battery superiority at least, if the choices on the German T-X are 16" and 16.5".
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh yeah, she will definitely have the biggest guns in any BB fight.

But I think on general stats and survivability the german BB would have her beat. Montana already is buffed close to Yama level now (except for bow armor, which the german BB has).
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I'm grinding for the reward Mikasa (150 kills through July) which is a pain when I work 45+ hours, am planning a wedding, and didn't play more than a couple games of Warships before the 12th.

Having learned a lot of lessons, I went back to the Arkansas and fell in love with it properly for the first time. Consistently racking up 65k+ damage, peaking at about 103k, at tier 4. Memorable moment - connecting at least 11/12 shells against a poor Wickes as it came around an island (my team immediately dubbed it the "Arkansas shotgun").

Also, Manlanta is Love, Manlanta is Life. My very first game in her (admittedly with an AFT captain):

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

German battleships have been released on the test server and they look awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TAExH ... Ym&index=1
------------
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Wow...the Tier 10 is huge....that's a massive bow.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bigger than the Yama ingame.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Bigger than the Yama ingame.
I'm pretty sure between the bow and stern she has more open flat surface than the Midway.

Other notes...
- The gun placement on the Kaiser... gods damn it Germany. That hurts my brain.
- The Gniesnau has unmistakable torpedo tubes. Awesome.

I've been farming credits and kills (I had about 200k credits in the bank when I bought her) in the Atlanta. I get why people get frustrated - the armour nonexistent, the range is short and the shell hang-time is measured in geological scale.

But treat her for what she is - a destroyer with standard destroyer guns, or "lewd Clemson x Cleveland abomination" as Eurobeat calls her, and she's an absolute joy to play. Camping behind an island and raining fire on things with complete impunity is order of the day, but getting 10+ citadels in one volley against enemy cruisers while flushing the fast-moving torps makes those rare "Manlanta" moments so memorable.

And with AFT and AA gun mods, you barely need Defensive Fire. I had a strike-loaded CVs' lone fighter squadron getting swarmed by 3 enemy fighter squadrons and a catapult-launch fighter. As soon as I got within 7km of them, everything just *died*.

Also the banter...

HATSUHARU: "Going for B, can I get a US DD to cover me?"
ME: "I'll be your freaskishly over-gunned insurance policy."
MAHAN: "Atlanta = best Tier VII DD!"