World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: World of Warships

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'd love to know what utter moron drew the Großer Kurfürst with a cross deck catapult in between the aft turrets. DOES NOT COMPUTE. But hey why use real life when you could make up something even dumber then the real H series ships!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:- The gun placement on the Kaiser... gods damn it Germany. That hurts my brain.

It is awesome in my book. It allows you to fire three turrets in front. What is not to like about this? She will be so OP for her tier....

RE: Atlanta

She will get radar with the next patch, so she will be an even better DD hunter.

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd love to know what utter moron drew the Großer Kurfürst with a cross deck catapult in between the aft turrets. DOES NOT COMPUTE. But hey why use real life when you could make up something even dumber then the real H series ships!
It is retractable, so it is not as if they will launch the fighter between the turrets.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I was wondering what that thing was. Is there any historic basis for that?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Thanas wrote: It is retractable, so it is not as if they will launch the fighter between the turrets.
Except that's the entire damn point of a cross deck catapult, so you could keep one plane ready at the center and launch it off either beam depending on the wind, without needing to make major course changes. Also the point was that you could load a cross deck catapult from the hangers without using the cranes, making operations in rougher weather in the North Atlantic easier. This ship cannot do that, actually I'm not sure its cranes allow loading the catapult at all.

So the entire point is negated out of hand on a multitude of levels, while cramping the secondary armament badly. Meanwhile the entire thing would be damaged by the blast of the main battery, and any plane on the catapult would physically block the firing arcs. Its pure stupidity.

They appear to have managed to make the anti aircraft armament mask the aft main battery directors too, even though nothing would stop raising it. The rest of the gun arrangement is pretty ass stupid, which is saying something by H series standards but that's going to happen if you have two huge hangers on the BEAM.

A pity overall since the other fictionwaffen in the game was at least designed in a plausible manner, while this ship is just stupid and completely unnecessary to boot. I hope it was a B team effort and not a taste of things to come, they continue to loose ground in the North American market as it is.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:- The gun placement on the Kaiser... gods damn it Germany. That hurts my brain.
It is awesome in my book. It allows you to fire three turrets in front. What is not to like about this? She will be so OP for her tier....
Ohh. Hadn't thought of that. Very handy.
RE: Atlanta

She will get radar with the next patch, so she will be an even better DD hunter.
Excellent! I run DF just because HS seems to be useless in the engagements I get into, having Radar will be obscenely powerful.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote: A pity overall since the other fictionwaffen in the game was at least designed in a plausible manner, while this ship is just stupid and completely unnecessary to boot. I hope it was a B team effort and not a taste of things to come, they continue to loose ground in the North American market as it is.
Lol, the Zao is at least as badly designed as this. I mean, just look at how the myoko-Mogami-Ibuki line goes and how the Zao breaks with that philosophy.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No she isn't, you just have no idea what you are looking at. Nothing on Zao wouldn't work if you built her.

Zao in fact is fiction, but not from WoW. She is more or less completely copied from done drawings done by an Japanese artist ~two decades ago, which in turn were directly styled off the B65 cruiser project. But with a dozen 20cm guns instead of nine 32cm guns, which weight wise would work out lighter. The aircraft were also moved to the stern, but multiple Japanese ships had stern catapults anyway. It doesn't break the philosophy of anything and at least it actually works. The US navy designed a number of very similar ships in the run up to the Alaska class.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:No she isn't, you just have no idea what you are looking at. Nothing on Zao wouldn't work if you built her.

Zao in fact is fiction, but not from WoW. She is more or less completely copied from done drawings done by an Japanese artist ~two decades ago, which in turn were directly styled off the B65 cruiser project. But with a dozen 20cm guns instead of nine 32cm guns, which weight wise would work out lighter. The aircraft were also moved to the stern, but multiple Japanese ships had stern catapults anyway. It doesn't break the philosophy of anything and at least it actually works. The US navy designed a number of very similar ships in the run up to the Alaska class.
There was a huge thread on reddit a while back which noted the many problems with the Zao as built in the game but I have no interest in digging it out, so I concede the issue.
As it stands, I am quite happy with the way the German BBs look and apparently play.
------------
------------
My LPs
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I finally started playing this game after following this thread for awhile. I don't know why I didn't try sooner, its really fun. I've worked my way up to a South Carolina and am now working my way towards the Wyoming. At first I wasn't much of a fan of the South Carolina, too slow, guns take too long to reload, and the slow traverse speed, I think I was spoiled by the cruisers.

Now I think I'm getting the hang of it though, I think I'm starting to reliably be able to get citadel hits. I pity those poor cruisers who lose half their health in the opening minute or two of the game.

In the my last match I managed to sneak up on another South Carolina, which was distracted by yet another South Carolina a few kilometers back, and took down half of its health and a turret before it could respond. Of course then it managed a citadel hit on me, but it was far too late for that Carolina.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Been on a roll!

I carried really, really hard but in the end I was holding too many medals and it was hard to click with my hands so full...

And my first Kraken in the Manlanta. In a Tier 9 game.

- Killed a Benson in the initial cap scramble.
- Citadelled a Schors point-blank.
- Shut down the Simms which was harassing our BBs.
- Then it got really fun. Our NorCal was slugging it out with a Colorado, a NorCal and an Iowa (with support from our other BBs further back). I somehow managed to WASD-hax around a single tiny island to avoid most of their guns (I had farmed at least 20k damage on them before they bothered to shoot at me in the first place). One of our DDs got the Iowa, but I burned down the other two like a methodical arsonist after our NorCal went down.

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Reyvan wrote:I finally started playing this game after following this thread for awhile. I don't know why I didn't try sooner, its really fun. I've worked my way up to a South Carolina and am now working my way towards the Wyoming. At first I wasn't much of a fan of the South Carolina, too slow, guns take too long to reload, and the slow traverse speed, I think I was spoiled by the cruisers.

Now I think I'm getting the hang of it though, I think I'm starting to reliably be able to get citadel hits. I pity those poor cruisers who lose half their health in the opening minute or two of the game.

In the my last match I managed to sneak up on another South Carolina, which was distracted by yet another South Carolina a few kilometers back, and took down half of its health and a turret before it could respond. Of course then it managed a citadel hit on me, but it was far too late for that Carolina.
Welcome sailor! And to the boards for that matter.

Congratulations on getting the SoCal to work for you. Most people regard it as a worse Tier 3 battleship than the St. Louis... which, of course, is a cruiser. It's a pretty ship, but not a forgiving one. Understanding what your shell types do already puts you miles ahead of most beginner BB players.

Something you might want to do if you haven't already is to toggle on the enhanced ribbon display - that shows you if your shells are overpenetrating or scoring solid hits. The Wyoming will overpenetrate AP on some ships and citadel with HE, even bow-on.

If you play on NA I'll be happy to Division with you sometime.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

5 kills and below 70k damage? Holy killsteals, Batman.

For those to be legitimate kills you need to have something like 90k at least lol.
------------
------------
My LPs
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Venator wrote:
Reyvan wrote:I finally started playing this game after following this thread for awhile. I don't know why I didn't try sooner, its really fun. I've worked my way up to a South Carolina and am now working my way towards the Wyoming. At first I wasn't much of a fan of the South Carolina, too slow, guns take too long to reload, and the slow traverse speed, I think I was spoiled by the cruisers.

Welcome sailor! And to the boards for that matter.

Congratulations on getting the SoCal to work for you. Most people regard it as a worse Tier 3 battleship than the St. Louis... which, of course, is a cruiser. It's a pretty ship, but not a forgiving one. Understanding what your shell types do already puts you miles ahead of most beginner BB players.

Something you might want to do if you haven't already is to toggle on the enhanced ribbon display - that shows you if your shells are overpenetrating or scoring solid hits. The Wyoming will overpenetrate AP on some ships and citadel with HE, even bow-on.

If you play on NA I'll be happy to Division with you sometime.
Just unlocked the Wyoming and tested it in Co-op. The additional turrets are nice, but they make it So tempting to present the broadside to the enemy. Just from combat observations it seems that the Myogi has extraordinary bow armor, but makes up for that with weak side armor? I hit one of them bow on with a full AP broadside, but all the hits ricocheted and I did no damage at all. One managed to sneak up on me in a different match and I hit its broadside with my broadside and basically sank it right there.

I image I'll start to see a lot fewer successes once I start encountering enemy players who've figured out ammo types. In the SoCal I engaged in plenty of battleship duels that I won with the AP rounds while they hit me with relatively ineffective HE ones.

I do play on NA. Teamwork sounds like it would be a welcome change. My ingame name is gohatwoono.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:5 kills and below 70k damage? Holy killsteals, Batman.

For those to be legitimate kills you need to have something like 90k at least lol.
If there was anyone left to do the killing, I would acknowledge those as kill steals :roll:.

Against everything but the Simms I was the only ship left in the area, the targets either killing my allies or said allies ignoring the obvious targets - with low HP but still spotting and firing - for something else.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Getting to rank 1 this season has been an utter nightmare. UGH.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Getting to rank 1 this season has been an utter nightmare. UGH.
Is it still going in EU? Ours ended last week.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Will end tomorrow.

The USA one was horrible as well (though much easier than EU as usual since for some weird reason WG likes to pander to the USA market like hell) and caused several prominent members of the USA playerbase to quit.

I don't know what they were thinking. It took me over 250 games to get to rank 1 and that is with a 56% winrate. Holy heck.
------------
------------
My LPs
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I'm not understanding, why would it be any more or less difficult to rank up in eu vs us server? If it's the player base, how is that wgs fault, or do you mean that the ranked mm is being stacked to make certain people lose?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AniThyng wrote:I'm not understanding, why would it be any more or less difficult to rank up in eu vs us server? If it's the player base, how is that wgs fault, or do you mean that the ranked mm is being stacked to make certain people lose?

None of the kind, just that (as somebody told me, I have no way to check verifying it for myself) the USA has much easier progression. From what I remember the EU needs a quarter of more stars overall to advance. This is designed that way. WG always wants Europe to grind more as the game is huge in Europe and thus they need to give out fewer rewards.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I suppose it makes sense to some degree, though it's frustrating for the players. The NA ranked pool definitely felt small.

I finally have the Mikasa in my port, fully loaded with premium consumables and maxed signals.

I expect to play her once or twice, ever.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Thanas wrote:
AniThyng wrote:I'm not understanding, why would it be any more or less difficult to rank up in eu vs us server? If it's the player base, how is that wgs fault, or do you mean that the ranked mm is being stacked to make certain people lose?

None of the kind, just that (as somebody told me, I have no way to check verifying it for myself) the USA has much easier progression. From what I remember the EU needs a quarter of more stars overall to advance. This is designed that way. WG always wants Europe to grind more as the game is huge in Europe and thus they need to give out fewer rewards.
In fairness to the NA server, from my own experience the regular ranked player pool at 10+ is so small that you are repeatedly facing the same players. Can make progression quite difficult since it seems to stratify at certain levels of skill, to the point where the match is decided more by luck than anything else.

Very frustrating too; twice I almost got to rank six then got pummeled back down to ten, gave up when rank nine started becoming unattainable during the third attempt.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Imperial528 wrote:
Thanas wrote:

In fairness to the NA server, from my own experience the regular ranked player pool at 10+ is so small that you are repeatedly facing the same players. Can make progression quite difficult since it seems to stratify at certain levels of skill, to the point where the match is decided more by luck than anything else.

Very frustrating too; twice I almost got to rank six then got pummeled back down to ten, gave up when rank nine started becoming unattainable during the third attempt.
Even down at rank 13-14, I had games where I would play alongside a hard-carrying unicorn, then immediately find him on the other team next game and order the whole team to focus him down, ruining his streak in minutes. That's got to be frustrating.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/comm ... notes-059/

Still no German BBs, but a comprehensive whack of other changes. US (and Warspite) armour remodelling will be beneficial, visibility changes are welcome (free skill point & Doubloons ahoy!). Bastions now reload slower but have less dispersion and do about twice as much damage.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Great even fewer aircraft carriers, so all the ships 'balanced' by having heavy AA batteries are even more pointless. I'm not going to dwell on the other stupid I see.

On the plus side they seem to have figured out the number one reason why people in NA don't want to play the game, its too damn slow. I would have just made all the ships 10 knots faster, but moving starting points closer together is good progress. Several of the original low tier maps had the ships start so close together you could open fire within seconds, which was great, looks like they are trying to move towards that.

Also thank god for the reduce in commander retraining though. I mean to a point I was willing to pay for that, but not at the price they wanted a dozen times over to actually rank up more then navy or have any chance of getting more then one tier V skill for captain without devoting a lifetime to playing. I'm pretty sure they did this because they noticed people not bothering with the high tiers.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Also thank god for the reduce in commander retraining though. I mean to a point I was willing to pay for that, but not at the price they wanted a dozen times over to actually rank up more then navy or have any chance of getting more then one tier V skill for captain without devoting a lifetime to playing. I'm pretty sure they did this because they noticed people not bothering with the high tiers.
You can't get more than one TV skill anyway....

That being said, I hate the current T10 meta. Every BB driver is a coward sniper and those BBs that actually try to push die. Lost three matches in a Yama today just because the BBs were hiding behind mountains.
------------
------------
My LPs