AVG designing glasses to thwart facial recognition

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

AVG designing glasses to thwart facial recognition

Post by Lagmonster »

A story is making the rounds about the development by AVG Security of a pair of 'invisibility glasses', designed to prevent facial recognition software from being able to identify your face.

I'm sure there are lots of anti-surveillance-society people who would like a pair of these pronto. The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not businesses could actively force people to remove the glasses. Like, say, a bank. Story link below:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477707,00.asp
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: AVG designing glasses to thwart facial recognition

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Pff.
This doesn't even hide distance between eyes (one of the simplest, strongest features for identifying faces belonging to individuals).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

So...instead of trying to directly identify people through facial recognition, you switch to 'find the silly cunt with glowsticks strapped to his face?'
Genius!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

oh this is better than tin foil hats.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I'm disappointed, it doesn't have the big nose or the dubious moustache. Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Chimaera wrote:So...instead of trying to directly identify people through facial recognition, you switch to 'find the silly cunt with glowsticks strapped to his face?'
Genius!
Did you read the article? The glowing bits only glow in infra-red. Visible to cameras, not humans. The other option is retro-reflectivity, which tries to reflect everything back at the same angle it came in on, which will only affect flash photography.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Terralthra wrote:
Chimaera wrote:So...instead of trying to directly identify people through facial recognition, you switch to 'find the silly cunt with glowsticks strapped to his face?'
Genius!
Did you read the article? The glowing bits only glow in infra-red. Visible to cameras, not humans. The other option is retro-reflectivity, which tries to reflect everything back at the same angle it came in on, which will only affect flash photography.
...Damn hangover. :oops:
Still bloody silly though.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

SpottedKitty wrote:I'm disappointed, it doesn't have the big nose or the dubious moustache. Image
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Chimaera wrote: Still bloody silly though.
Do you think this particular approach is silly or the general concept of diguising yourself to face recognition technology?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Many cellphone camera sensors have an infrared filter strong enough to cut off any wavelengths beyond the visible spectrum," AVG noted.
In other words, the means to defeat the infrared LEDs already exists. Making them doomed to fail if they ever get used widely enough to be a problem for face recognition. Assuming face recognition algorithms can't account for it.

Though the real silly part would be if there is something unique to each pair of these glasses that cameras can detect.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

They say that this is an early prototype. The silly part is expecting it to be a perfectly finished product.

A lot of cameras like older cctv cameras or webcams a lot of businesses use to monitor their business might not be equipped with a mechanism to defeat the LEDs.
Camouflage doesn´t have to be perfect. It has to make it expensive for the opponent to circumvent.

Researching means to conceal yourself to mass surveillance does make sense in my opinion.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Bear in mind that the tech doesn't exist to allow criminals to operate with impunity, but a market does exist for a product like this, even if it only works some of the time.

For example, remember that thread a while back about stores wanting to set up cameras to scan people as they came in so as to target them with ads based on their age, gender, and so forth? There were people there who felt offended by the practice. Something which doesn't obscure your identity to humans, but thwarts scanning software, would give such people peace of mind when in public.