Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Having trouble logging on today. Is it just my computer, or was their some sort of trouble with the game today?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Having trouble logging on today. Is it just my computer, or was their some sort of trouble with the game today?
I had no problems logging just now when I tried, was even able to do some rep/admiralty stuff on my Fed Engi character.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Jupiter Class.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I'm just pissed that I can't get a Plesh Brek this year, which means I still don't have any Frigate pets for my Sarr Theln. Maybe they'll give us an alternative way to get it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Lord Revan wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:For once I just wish the Breen starships had some sense of symmetry, the raider and the carrier had an engine connected by 3 small pipes, and a huge sail sticking out of one side, respectively. This one at least doesn't look totally unbalanced. Given they'd fulfilled the other roles I assume the dread is the only route they could have taken.
I suspect they weren't allowed to deviate too much from the design asthethic of the Breen as it was established in Deep Space 9 (the series that is)
While initially I thought the Chel Grett was ugly as hell, its design grew on me. Maybe because I found it to be superior in battle compared to other ships available at the time :lol:

While I approve of them reworking the trait system to have 9 space and 9 ground, it's undermined by the additional options available, so you're still having to make compromises. I'd be much happier if they upped the limit to 12 to fully take advantage of it.

I'm liking the admiralty system- but as I've been on STO for a long time I have a large number of ships to work with. And it provides quite a lot of XP, meaning the ability points are earned quite a bit faster.

I wouldn't have bought the Jupiter had it not been included in the sale. The c-store has a habit of not including the newest designs when they offer discounts. And having it enabled me to make use of the two wings of elite scorpion fighters that I'd acquired long ago. They're pretty badass with their heavy plasma torpedoes 8)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I generally end up hitting myself with Plasma torps ;).

granted I hit the enemy too.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I did some adjustments to the Foundry Project I made, so I'd like your opinion on the changes/Project, also if there's any native speakers who would be able to help me with the spelling and grammar it would be nice.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, it looks like I can log on again, even if its a bit slow to start.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I went to visit the Spock memorial on Vulcan and pay my respects.

I had just departed when I spotted a hostile Gorn force. In the Vulcan Sector. What they were doing so deep in the Federation I can't say, but I engaged them. They weren't a really difficult foe, for the most part. My biggest regret was probably that I wasn't able to collect all the loot I won.

Ah, I remember the days when Gorn were scary.

Then I responded to a call about the Tholians, and got a hard reminder of what formidable opposition looks like. ;)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well of the 4 races on the KDF side that have their own fleet I think the Gorn are the weakest in space, they're quite formidble on ground though.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Romulan Republic wrote:I went to visit the Spock memorial on Vulcan and pay my respects.

I had just departed when I spotted a hostile Gorn force. In the Vulcan Sector. What they were doing so deep in the Federation I can't say, but I engaged them. They weren't a really difficult foe, for the most part. My biggest regret was probably that I wasn't able to collect all the loot I won.

Then I responded to a call about the Tholians, and got a hard reminder of what formidable opposition looks like. ;)
Only if you try it solo- I found that the outcome of the mission is determined by the competence of your team :mrgreen:

The Jupiter-class carrier is nice enough, but the vestigial-looking lower warp nacelles just looks weird. There's no way to change the structure either, or I'd either enlarge the nacelles to be equal in size, or lose them entirely :lol:

I've gotten sick of the bullshit within the fleet. Either they've changed the permissions of the rank I'm at, or I've been demoted for no reason (and I haven't skimped on contributions). All I know is that I used to be able to slot missions, but I can't now. :roll: No more dilithium for them :P
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I went to visit the Spock memorial on Vulcan and pay my respects.

Only if you try it solo- I found that the outcome of the mission is determined by the competence of your team :mrgreen:

The Jupiter-class carrier is nice enough, but the vestigial-looking lower warp nacelles just looks weird. There's no way to change the structure either, or I'd either enlarge the nacelles to be equal in size, or lose them entirely :lol:

I've gotten sick of the bullshit within the fleet. Either they've changed the permissions of the rank I'm at, or I've been demoted for no reason (and I haven't skimped on contributions). All I know is that I used to be able to slot missions, but I can't now. :roll: No more dilithium for them :P
what fleet you in m8?

I've not heard anything like that within my fleet at the very least.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:

what fleet you in m8?

I've not heard anything like that within my fleet at the very least.
Maquis Alliance Elite Force- the fleet is maxed in all areas except research. Ever since the ability for fleets to form armadas came in it's been this way. I have to wonder if along the way some permissions were changed.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

My main's Fleet is "Omega Combat Division" and our premissions haven't changed as far as I can tell and we have Armada of about 9 or so fleets.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That reminds me- how does one leave a fleet they're in?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly I don't know for sure but I suspect, /leavefleet or /quitfleet are the way to go, there might be an option in your fleet roster, but quite frankly I've never needed to think about it.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Tholians are formidable opposition? Captain Daelin of the USS Huntress finds them more annoying than anything else. But, then again, the Hephaestus class isn't really meant for playing nice or taking prisoners.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I guess it depends on what tier your ship is at and what tech. you're using and so on.

I might have more trouble with Tholians than anything else at this point. Its not a game wrecking problem or anything. They're just notably tough for me.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I find the Tholians mostly annoying as well when playing on my (current) main but then Mirwast flies the tier 6 Kobali cruiser (named Teldral after her homeworld) and the ship is built to take massive damage so that so the main issues with tholians (the shield destroying torps and the webs) don't bother as much.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

What I hate about Tholians is the subsystem shutdown and the teleportation bullshit. Webs I can deal with easily, and I strip down shields even faster than enemies do.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've not logged in for so long I'm almost afraid to try...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote:I find the Tholians mostly annoying as well when playing on my (current) main but then Mirwast flies the tier 6 Kobali cruiser (named Teldral after her homeworld) and the ship is built to take massive damage so that so the main issues with tholians (the shield destroying torps and the webs) don't bother as much.
Yeah, the Kobali set is the one you want to use for tanking because it has so many heals, and is the only set you need on the Kobali ship :mrgreen:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Actually I'm using the "Sol Defence" set with the Kobali warpcore and I'm as durable as with the Kobali set if not more so.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:I've not logged in for so long I'm almost afraid to try...
Why?

Honestly for just flying around shooting spaceships, doing the story missions, this game isn't all that complicated. It's really only as complicated as you make it out to be.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

RogueIce wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:I've not logged in for so long I'm almost afraid to try...
Why?

Honestly for just flying around shooting spaceships, doing the story missions, this game isn't all that complicated. It's really only as complicated as you make it out to be.
I know. I'm mostly afraid of the massive update that I'm gonna be forced to download if I login :P My interests mostly just have changed is the main thing.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.