Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ah yes, the lolwut festival coming around again- hopefully they'll be consistent and only require one toon to have 1,000 tokens to unlock the ship for the rest. It'll be a relief when the current event ends and I don't have to do Mirror Invasion ten times a day. My goal is to have 14 transporters saved up for each toon so that next time the event comes around I can turn them in and claim the reward on day one :mrgreen:

For most of my toons I'm really close, however for my 3 newest ones I complete the event for those first since they haven't been around long enough to roll over the stuff from last year, so I'll be working on them right until the end.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Never tried the Lolwut festival, but the ship prize looks pretty neat. Might try it. One question, can you buy some lolwut vouchers after the event ends like with the winter events? So as long as you place some vouchers initially into the event reputation tab I can continue it at some other time.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I dunno, granted there's generally more then enough time to get the ship within the timeframe if you can do the event needed for the event ship more or less daily (and it's only about 15 mins or so for a daily run).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote:Never tried the Lolwut festival, but the ship prize looks pretty neat. Might try it. One question, can you buy some lolwut vouchers after the event ends like with the winter events? So as long as you place some vouchers initially into the event reputation tab I can continue it at some other time.
If you have Lobi to hand then yes, if previous years are any indication. As before, unlocking the ship with one toon unlocks it for all.

Coincidentally, today I kicked off the last mission to get my competitive wargames rep up to level 5 on my newest toon, which in turn means I can crank out a bunch of sponsorship tokens to get the rest of them there in half the time.

I never thought I'd say this, but it's once again time to break out the bikinis and swimsuits! :lol:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I really need to go on Risa more. I don't even know how to get the flying high mission to get lolwut prize vouchers. I just used what lobi crystals I have left in exchange for them to get me started. LOL.

Anyone help me here.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote:I really need to go on Risa more. I don't even know how to get the flying high mission to get lolwut prize vouchers. I just used what lobi crystals I have left in exchange for them to get me started. LOL.

Anyone help me here.
the mission NPC is at pier near the tailor and the transporter pad, on the platform with the hut where you get rental floaters or powerboards from on it (it should be noted that said NPC is there only during the summer event).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:I really need to go on Risa more. I don't even know how to get the flying high mission to get lolwut prize vouchers. I just used what lobi crystals I have left in exchange for them to get me started. LOL.

Anyone help me here.
the mission NPC is at pier near the tailor and the transporter pad, on the platform with the hut where you get rental floaters or powerboards from on it (it should be noted that said NPC is there only during the summer event).
It's worth investing in a superior jetpack floater to do the flying high mission as well as other stuff like the Horga'hn hunt. It's positively painful to do using a crappy rental.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:

Anyone help me here.
It's worth investing in a superior jetpack floater to do the flying high mission as well as other stuff like the Horga'hn hunt. It's positively painful to do using a crappy rental.
true but if it's your first time on Risa you might not have the tokens to buy a good floater.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

One round of dancing gives you enough event money to buy the green floater, so you don't have to rent one, at least.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I managed to pass with the rental pack, and I suck at flying. Going to try again with a superior jet pack and hope its easier. In any event, I managed to get lots of lobi using what lock box keys I had left and then exchange them for more Lolwut vouchers, because I don't plan to spend ages on Risa.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Lolwut vouchers aren't character-bound so you can have toons that have better gear racking them up and transferring via the account bank. I picked up a pink floater for my newest toon, a female Andorian Tac. The promotional inverse hoverboard (that only works over water!) is still claimable as a legacy item from a year or two ago which removes the need to shell out for new.

The artifact scavenge event is a real ballache as it's basically getting warmer or colder. If it has a feature that gives the bearing to the target, it's utterly broken as you face a random direction every time you do the scan.

The Horga'hn hunt is better as not only can you run it with 3 or 4 toons in the 15 minutes it lasts if they all have superior floaters, but it gives you the chance to collect bird eggs which when raised are traded for marks.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote:I managed to pass with the rental pack, and I suck at flying. Going to try again with a superior jet pack and hope its easier. In any event, I managed to get lots of lobi using what lock box keys I had left and then exchange them for more Lolwut vouchers, because I don't plan to spend ages on Risa.
the rental flies your character drank a barrel of romulan ale before taking off, you want at least a blue quality floater to have any meaningful control over your direction.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am now using a red floater. Seems much better than the rental gear. Thanks for the advice.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:I managed to pass with the rental pack, and I suck at flying. Going to try again with a superior jet pack and hope its easier. In any event, I managed to get lots of lobi using what lock box keys I had left and then exchange them for more Lolwut vouchers, because I don't plan to spend ages on Risa.
the rental flies your character drank a barrel of romulan ale before taking off, you want at least a blue quality floater to have any meaningful control over your direction.
Unless you want the summer ship really quickly there's no need to waste Lobi on getting the prize vouchers, with a decent floater like what you bought you can do the event in under 5 minutes and only under a single toon. And the favours aren't difficult to come by- both the dance and Horga'hn hunts give you 100 favours apiece. The last Risa-only thing I plan on getting is one more costume item for my newest toon, after that I'll be picking and choosing which kit modules to equip. What's slightly annoying is that this year's new costumes are top-only, there's no bottom part to them meaning more expenditure.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote:I am now using a red floater. Seems much better than the rental gear. Thanks for the advice.
Better the floater, the more control you'll have over your movement, the gree quality ones while light years from the rentals are still rather poor, blue quality ones are pretty decent and I've not really tried a purple quality one yet. It's an investment sure but favors are pretty easy to come by (I generally end up having more favors then I got stuff I want to buy in the end).
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

STO now has some type of deal with Razer. I have no idea what Razer's reputation is like, but some gaming gear might be good even for a casual gamer like myself.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote:STO now has some type of deal with Razer. I have no idea what Razer's reputation is like, but some gaming gear might be good even for a casual gamer like myself.
based on the amounts people have counted on the STO forums, you'd have to play daily for a quite a long time for months to get anything meaningful out of that. From what I've gathered as a company Razer has decent quality products I don't use them myself but I've not heard them being infamously bad either.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Lord Revan wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:STO now has some type of deal with Razer. I have no idea what Razer's reputation is like, but some gaming gear might be good even for a casual gamer like myself.
based on the amounts people have counted on the STO forums, you'd have to play daily for a quite a long time for months to get anything meaningful out of that. From what I've gathered as a company Razer has decent quality products I don't use them myself but I've not heard them being infamously bad either.
Razer stuff (mice) performs well but tends to be somewhat weak in reliability, which is why I switched to Steelseries mice and haven't had a problem since.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I have a steelseries mouse, so I guess no need for the Razer stuff. :D

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

montypython wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Razer stuff (mice) performs well but tends to be somewhat weak in reliability, which is why I switched to Steelseries mice and haven't had a problem since.
Ten years ago I had a Habu mouse and kept having connectivity issues with it until the laser broke after I banged it in frustration one too many times! :evil:

On the other hand, when my Microsoft keyboard expired after I accidentally spilled milk on it, I replaced it with the BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth and it's worked out very well so far. The backlit keys are very handy for gaming in a darkened room, the only downside is that the alternate functions of each key are unlit. Because I've been so used to using an ergonomic keyboard I keep making the same typos what with all the keys being in a slightly different position. Nothing I could do about that since none of the gaming keyboards I found were ergonomic! :lol:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Now decided to try out a new toon.

Going to play a Romulan to see what different powers the Romulans have. I think my goal is not so much to maximise this toon and get 100% in all specialization and all reputation skills, but to try and aim for the 3 scitmitar ships with Thalaron weapons. Its certainly something different. Meanwhile I will just use my primary toon and transfer stuff to the new toon via shared bank, so she at least has decent armour and weapons, and kits.

stardust
Youngling

Post by stardust »

I used to play the hell out of it, but then the repetition and the grind just got boring as sin. That and I didn't much care for theh direction they seem to be taking it. BUT OH THE PRETTY COLOURS

If I could have afforded it, I'd have gotten 3d printed models of all of my ships... and I have quite a few of those.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I think there is still some variety between Federation and Romulan toons, since the storyline is different (at least initially) and the styles of tactics are quite different, to give good variety.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote:Now decided to try out a new toon.

Going to play a Romulan to see what different powers the Romulans have. I think my goal is not so much to maximise this toon and get 100% in all specialization and all reputation skills, but to try and aim for the 3 Scimitar ships with Thalaron weapons. Its certainly something different. Meanwhile I will just use my primary toon and transfer stuff to the new toon via shared bank, so she at least has decent armour and weapons, and kits.
The Thalaron burst is a set bonus from equipping all 3 consoles in the T5 Scimitar set, the T6 one is the Flagship set, the latter of which is useful in giving the Scimitar some much-needed agility. So if you really want the Thalaron burst on a T6 ship you'll have to buy both packs.

(Superior) Romulan Operative. Not only is it a captain trait, but the best Romulan BOFFs have it as well- since fixing it months ago the DOFF assignment that rewards them is no longer stupidly rare so now you can actually equip a full bridge crew with that trait. Non-Romulan captains were restricted to the tactical officers available from the embassy. All this means a significant boost to Crit Chance and Severity.

Just be aware that some items will be bound to your main character so unavailable for transfer to your new toon.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Thanks. I want to get all BOFFs with superior romulan trait. If I need EC I just transfer from my main toon. I think I will just settle for the T6 scimitar, and maybe a few T6 fleet ships including the version of the iconic D'derix. I don't need to grind my romulan toon to master every single reputation bonus.