Rebuilt Computer Teething Problems

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Rebuilt Computer Teething Problems

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, as a follow-up to my comments in the venting thread about computer problems, I finally scroungedup the cash and acquired a new motherboard, CPU and SSD for my desktop.

This evening I swapped out the old hardware for the new. According to the motherboard instructions, I've got everything plugged in properly. However, when I plug the machine in and press the power button, it turns on briefly, then off, then tries again, then off, and tries again, and so on.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Re: Rebuilt Computer Teething Problems

Post by DaveJB »

My first guess would be a power supply problem, so maybe try unplugging your drives and everything that isn't required for your PC to just POST and reach the BIOS. It'd help if we knew what sort of motherboard you were using, though.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

If you upgraded your CPU and motherboard you may have additional power cables you need to plug into the motherboard. This could either be the 4 slot extension to the main ATX power cable, or the 4 slot extra power cables.

I assume that you aren't seeing a bios screen as it turns on and off?
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Nope, not seeing anything at all, it is literally on for 2 seconds.

It's an ASUS P9X79 motherboard, it's the same form-factor as the last one and according to the manual I have no loose connectors anywhere (the 4 slot extension and the two 4 slot extra cables are all plugged in properly as best I can tell). I'll try unplugging everything but the blank SSD and see what happens.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'd even pull the SSD. Basically, you only want your RAM and CPU plugged in and you're listening for any kind of POST beeps. You might also check to make sure the Motherboard is seated correctly and isn't grounding out.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Tested again with only blank SSD, no change.

As best I can tell, the motherboard is in properly.

TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Sounds like a power/motherboard issue. I'd try reseating all the power connections and possibly reseating the RAM. Make sure no screws are underneath the motherboard and bits of metal aren't poking into power cable connecters (a bit of my case was sticking out and ended up touching an unplugged molex connector and causing a short).
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok I'll take another look - or rather, I'll get my friend who knows thi stuff better than I do and has much better eyesight to take a look.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well, my friend and I had a good look and we think we've found the problem. The CPU cooler I have is the same as the old motherboard and isn't compatible with the new socket type. There's about 3mm between the CPU and the heatsink. So I've ordered a new compatible cooler (and some thermal paste which I needed anyway) and that should sort things out.