quick Free to play MMO questions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

quick Free to play MMO questions

Post by Lord Revan »

As WoW and STO don't have much happening until next month at the earliest, so I was thinking I might try some free to play MMOs at mean time

first off I was looking at some let's plays of DCUO and that seemed it could fun to try but what I want to ask is, is it possible to play it effectivly without paying or do you need to get all the paid DLCs and/or paid boosts to get any sort of enjoyment out of it

and second is there any other Free to play MMOs you might recomend (well apart from GW2 as I've already tried that).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Re: quick Free to play MMO questions

Post by Jaevric »

Rift is a pretty good F2P WoW clone, with the added bonus of all classes filling any role and being able to swap easily.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

If you're only going a month, against my better judgement, I would recommend SWTOR since that one thing they did pretty well was the class storylines. The Jedi Knight story is basically KOTOR3 and I've heard nothing but good things about the Imperial Agent storyline. If you're looking for something just to get you by for a month or so: leveling a few different classes might be an option.

As mentioned: Rift is pretty solid, at least when I played. The quest lines are kind of "bleh" but the game looks all-right and can keep your attention. The problem is that the vanilla game is not alt friendly as you will be doing all the same quests over for the XP. I really enjoyed the almost limitless customization of builds and how (tanks especially) could cheese harder content through intelligent use of the build system. It's a shame that me doing so indirectly lead to shitloads of drama in my guild that soured my taste of the game. The amount of "this isn't WoW, you can't main a soul" bullshit was sickening.

As with a lot of MMOs: the quality of the experience is really tied to the group of people you get in with.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Not sure about the availability outside Europe but I had a lot of fun with 'Drakensang Online'. As usual paying for stuff unsurprisingly makes the game easier but at least for the first 25 or so levels you can easily get by on what you find in the free to play main game.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote:Not sure about the availability outside Europe but I had a lot of fun with 'Drakensang Online'. As usual paying for stuff unsurprisingly makes the game easier but at least for the first 25 or so levels you can easily get by on what you find in the free to play main game.
the availability shouldn't be an issue as I live in EU country (assuming the makers didn't forget that Nordic countries exist) as for paying atm I don't have funds to start getting the paid stuff, I'm already paying for WoW I don't want to pay for another MMO if I can avoid it, sure if my economic situation improves or I quit WoW then I might consider paying but atm it's not preferble.

that's why I wanted to ask if it was possible to play DCUO without the paid DLC or would it nerf me too much.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Well if you are looking for a quick fix I suggest the various Korean and generally Asian free MMO's. Stuff like Fly for Fun, Silkroad Online etc. I have played those two and a few more and they are generally decently thought out, fun to play and easy to pick up. More importantly, they are free to play and download. The only problem is that they suffer from a lot of gold farming so if you want to invest too much time into them you'll end up feeling like a victim of hyperinflation. But you should be out of the game before that happens.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

As mentioned before, Rift is pretty fun, although I was forced to recently quit due to scheduling conflicts. I enjoy raiding, and simply can't keep up with a raid schedule at the moment. Too bad too, because the 3.0 patch that's launching in October seems pretty cool. The only caveat about Rift is if you want to play any role as any class, like heal as a rogue or tank as a mage, you'll have to pay up for the Dream Soul pack, which I think runs like $40 US, but you can pay for it with in-game currency.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lord Revan wrote:
Batman wrote:Not sure about the availability outside Europe but I had a lot of fun with 'Drakensang Online'. As usual paying for stuff unsurprisingly makes the game easier but at least for the first 25 or so levels you can easily get by on what you find in the free to play main game.
the availability shouldn't be an issue as I live in EU country (assuming the makers didn't forget that Nordic countries exist) as for paying atm I don't have funds to start getting the paid stuff, I'm already paying for WoW I don't want to pay for another MMO if I can avoid it, sure if my economic situation improves or I quit WoW then I might consider paying but atm it's not preferble.

that's why I wanted to ask if it was possible to play DCUO without the paid DLC or would it nerf me too much.
You won't get much out of the endgame content if you don't buy the DLCs, you'll have access to maybe one raid and a couple of alerts, and the credit cap for anything other than a premium account is absolutely bonkers low (though again doesn't matter much until endgame crafting really unless you want to use the auction house which is ludicrously overpriced due to the legacy of credit glitches).

On the other hand, a premium account for DCUO is also a premium account for every other SOE game, including EQ Next when it's out.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Vendetta wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:

You won't get much out of the endgame content if you don't buy the DLCs, you'll have access to maybe one raid and a couple of alerts, and the credit cap for anything other than a premium account is absolutely bonkers low (though again doesn't matter much until endgame crafting really unless you want to use the auction house which is ludicrously overpriced due to the legacy of credit glitches).

On the other hand, a premium account for DCUO is also a premium account for every other SOE game, including EQ Next when it's out.
so it sounds more or less like getting WoW without getting the expansions, sounds like it won't be an major issue then since, if I get invested enought to want to focus on endgame I can always get those DLCs