FFG's new Star Wars fleet combat game...

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

FFG's new Star Wars fleet combat game...

Post by Nephtys »

Welp, guess they're taking all my money.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=4979
“General, there’s a fleet of Star Destroyers coming out of hyperspace in sector four.”
–The Empire Strikes Back

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the upcoming release of Star Wars™: Armada, a two-player miniatures game of epic fleet battles in the Star Wars galaxy!

Massive Star Destroyers fly to battle against Rebel corvettes and frigates. Banks of turbolasers unleash torrential volleys of fire against squadrons of X-wings and TIEs. Engineering teams race to route additional power to failing shields. Laser blasts and explosions flare across the battlefield. Even a single ship can change the tide of battle.

In Star Wars: Armada, you assume the role of fleet admiral, serving with either the Imperial Navy or Rebel Alliance. You assemble your fleet and engage the enemy. Using the game’s unique maneuver tool, you steer your capital ships across the battlefield, even while squadrons of starfighters buzz around them. Then, as these ships exchange fire, it’s your job to issue the tactical commands that will decide the course of battle and, perhaps, the fate of the galaxy.

The Armada Core Set contains ten unpainted squadrons, three pre-painted capital ships, nearly one hundred cards, an innovative maneuver tool, a range ruler, six command dials, nine custom attack dice, and all the tokens that you need to engage the enemy and battle for the fate of the galaxy!
I was a big fan of their X-Wing game, and now they're producing a new one about fleet combat? FFG has a track record of astoundingly good rulesets (Battlestar Galactica, Netrunner, X-Wing all come to mind) so I'm pretty psyched about this one.

Oh, and that new XCOM board game. Just take my money already.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Re: FFG's new Star Wars fleet combat game...

Post by Rekkon »

Ya, it was a one-two punch to the wallet this week. XCOM came out of nowhere, and a lot of us in the X-wing community have been looking forward to a capital ship game.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Fuck me.

The Corellian Corvette for X-Wing was bad enough. Now I have to buy entire fleets? At least the smaller scale ones should be more affordable.

Aieee.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Not different dice!
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Thankfully the scale is off so my rivet counting anal retentive side will keep me from playing.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Nephtys wrote:I was a big fan of their X-Wing game, and now they're producing a new one about fleet combat? FFG has a track record of astoundingly good rulesets (Battlestar Galactica, Netrunner, X-Wing all come to mind) so I'm pretty psyched about this one.
I never bought the X-wing game because I often heared the base game is too limited with the few miniatures provided, and you basically need (expensive) expansions to enjoy it.
Although it looks like the Armada base game brings a full game in the box so this looks more than interesting if the price is right.
Oh, and that new XCOM board game. Just take my money already
A boardgame that requires an app to play? Heresy!
(lets just say I'm sitting on the fence with this one)
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Anyone else think the rules are somewhat reminiscent of Battlefleet Gothic?
And I mean that in a good way. The rules here, along with the doodads like the squiggly maneuver ruler, certainly make it more accessible than BFG too.

I'm already lined up to buy a core set or two of FFG's Warhammer 40,000: Conquest living card game, and I really shouldn't be giving those cash-vacuuming FFG jerks so much of my money at once, so I might get into Star Wars: Armada, but not immediately.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Is it just me or are the Rebels completely screwed in that matchup? I fail to see how a Nebulon B and a pair of Corellian Corvettes can possibly take on a Star Destroyer, even if backed up by fighters.

Also, why are there no Mon Calamari Cruisers present? How can the Rebels possibly win a fleet battle without the backbone of their fleet?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Is it just me or are the Rebels completely screwed in that matchup? I fail to see how a Nebulon B and a pair of Corellian Corvettes can possibly take on a Star Destroyer, even if backed up by fighters.

Also, why are there no Mon Calamari Cruisers present? How can the Rebels possibly win a fleet battle without the backbone of their fleet?
Yeah they would be horribly outmatched. Witness for instance the battle at the end of Isard's Revenge, when three Nebulon-Bs and six corvettes engage a Victory class as part of a larger battle. They inflict some damage, take downt he shields certainly but not enough to put the VSD out of action. In contrast, two of the corvettes and one frigate as "dead in space," whilst another frigate and corvette and crippled and the VSD wasn't even using all it's weapons (it was launching missiles at Home One as well).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It's to make the sides more distinct, the Empire gets one big capital, but that puts all their eggs in one basket, the rebel side is meant to use cunning and tricks vs the Imperial raw brute power and so on.

Also depends on what the scenarios and victory conditions are a bit doesn't it?
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Sharp-kun wrote:Not different dice!
Aren't these just d8s? :|
Adamskywalker007 wrote:Is it just me or are the Rebels completely screwed in that matchup? I fail to see how a Nebulon B and a pair of Corellian Corvettes can possibly take on a Star Destroyer, even if backed up by fighters.
Pair? Both box and the photo say 3 capital ships (including ISD), where you saw fourth?
Backbone? Well, besides making the game sides too similar, I was under impression MC-80 were very rare and mostly bolted to shipyards protection duty.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Irbis wrote:
Sharp-kun wrote:Not different dice!
Aren't these just d8s? :|
Check the symbols. ;)

I was hoping they'd reuse x-wing dice so I wouldn't need more.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Rebels also get better fighters, fighters with proton torpedo launchers. I imagine using TIE fighters to screen the Victory class from a Rebel attack run without letting the TIEs get sucked into a position where they're overwhelmed by the Rebel fighters and light capitals and killed at low cost will be an important part of Imperial tactics.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.