Thinking about buying a console

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Thinking about buying a console

Post by Thanas »

Alright. So far I am a complete PC-only guy. However, I have been wondering wether I should buy a console, but being the total noob I am I thought it better to ask here.

a) Basic question - Xbox 360 or PS3? Which one do you guys like better from a gaming perspective (I am not interested in blueray player etc.)
b) Does either console require an Internet connection in order to play?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thinking about buying a console

Post by Stark »

It's prolly a bad time to buy one, as both consoles are on the downslide toward replacement. I guess they're cheap now, though.

And yeah don't buy a PS3. Unless you really like Gundam games! :v
Neither console 'requires' a connection, but you'll miss out on a lot without one. It's definitely possible to not have a constant connection/run it through a phone occasionally etc.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

a) both are good enough, but you should check out the games you want to play. As is right now it looks like more things are happening in the Xbox 360 market in regards to releases etc, while the PS3 market is slowly doing a SDN. I'd check out my local market and see what the packages are, as in how many free games you can get with the purchase.
If you are looking into buying used ones, beware of the early releases of both which was crap.
b) neither requires it but both are better with it, as in buying games etc.

Note that the rumor mill is full of a Xbox 720 release by christmas. So if you wait a while you could probably pick up dirt-cheap 360s packages by then.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The rumours are for a new Xbox next christmas. If it were this christmas we'd be getting the same information about what's in development as we're getting for the Wuu, which is launching this christmas.

I would say that the combination of the online proposition and capabilities, particularly the wide variety and large number of Marketplace games* and the voice chat system working across games, as well as the fact that the second hand market is still more viable here for the Xbox means I prefer it as a platform. (Also gamerscore, because metagame whoring just isn't the same unless it makes your number bigger).

It's not really worth worrying about exclusive titles any more, they're such a vanishingly small segment of the market now, and the only ones that really do something that you can't get and get better from a cross platform title are Forza/Gran Turismo, which are themselves pretty similar.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The games selection is probably the most important thing that should influence a decision. However, one secondary consideration I have is that I can't stand the PS3 controller: it's light and flimsy and too small. The Xbox one sits better in the hand and just feels more solid overall (though for me, kids are a serious consideration, so solid is the name of the game :P )
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nothing PS3 exclusive is going to draw Thanas. Gundam Game #231? Infamous? Sackboy Adventures? Come on.

That said, releases for both seem to be winding down, so lets hope he's already got games in mind.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Isn't the Uncharted series exclusive? I don't know Thanas so well to decide if he'd like them, though ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Buying a console to listen to Nathan North is pretty dumb, don't you think? And yeah, I'd be pretty boggled if Thanas sat down to play a shooter. A third person one, even! With PUZZLES!!!!!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Uncharted is a console exclusive, but it's also not good enough worth using as the basis of a purchasing decision*.

The shooting is pretty bland, to be honest, guns feel weedy, physics are janky (in Uncharted 2 I repeatedly got killed by grenades that had clipped into the cover I was hiding behind) and the spawn waves feel really artificial (especially so since they've tried for realism in presentation. Having the same two guys come out of the same spawn four times over feels even more jarring when you try for visual realism, and that's not to mention them appearing in places they couldn't possibly have gotten to without serious rock climbing gear or a crane. In an underground tomb that no-one has been in for 400 years.

The platforming is good, and they do specacle set pieces well, but the meat and potatoes of the action doesn't always hold up.

Also you can get your fix of Nolan North from pretty much every game ever these days.

* No one game is, and there just isn't the wide range of exclusives that there used to be.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stark wrote:Buying a console to listen to Nathan North is pretty dumb, don't you think? And yeah, I'd be pretty boggled if Thanas sat down to play a shooter. A third person one, even! With PUZZLES!!!!!
I like shooters. Mafia series is in 3rd person as well.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's ok, Thanas. It's ok. :v

What drives you to buy a console? If its the superior hassle free experience, Im not sure what the ETA is in the next round. Do you have specific games in mind?

Please don't say Mafia.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Go with a 360. I own both consoles and never fucking play the PS3. Unless I want to watch blu rays in my room I never even turn it on.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I found the opposite and ended up selling my 360 a while back. Then again, I've mainly been playing games that I could have bought for either console, or Disgea. I also find that my local pawn shop seems to have more and better PS3 titles in stock. YMMV.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Thanas wrote:Alright. So far I am a complete PC-only guy. However, I have been wondering wether I should buy a console, but being the total noob I am I thought it better to ask here.

a) Basic question - Xbox 360 or PS3? Which one do you guys like better from a gaming perspective (I am not interested in blueray player etc.)
b) Does either console require an Internet connection in order to play?
I was on the fence just recently too, but ultimately decided on the PS3 because of the following:

1) I really wanted to play some of the old PS3 exclusives (namely Demon Souls, which I found to be very awesome).

2) There are good indications that the PS4 isn't coming out soon - Sony has said straight out that the machine is still way overpowered and while they are looking at extending its capabilities (i.e. add a Wii-style controller), they aren't gonna replace it until at least 2014.

3) It does not require an Internet connection to play, and the PSN Network is free as opposed to Xbox Live which isn't.

4) As a final clincher - when I was actually buying the PS3 at the store, most of the titles I wanted were already on the "Best of Playstation" discount line - namely Valkyria Chronicles (don't wince Thanas), Metal Gear 4 (don't wince everyone), and Red Death Redemption.

(Though that may be true of Xbox games you want)

That being said, unless you really have specific titles you have in mind or you really just want to be able to play on the couch and using a nice flatscreen TV or your PC is really too old to run new games, then I would say that it's not entirely worth it to get a console. The game library for both consoles actually isn't that wide anymore aside from shooters.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

3) It does not require an Internet connection to play, and the PSN Network is free as opposed to Xbox Live which isn't.
Wait what? Are you saying the 360 requires an internet connection? Or just for the multiplayer? Because if you're saying it needs an internet connection for sp you're being retarded.

Also, PSN is prone to more bouts of downtime thanks to "maintenance", and "network problems". Updates also happen frequently and tend to be a pain in the ass to deal with, where they're relatively simple on the 360.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

I am somewhat echoing Jub. I had both 360 and PS3 at the same time, but I found that a majority of the games I bought tended to be on both consoles. As great as Live is, technology wise, I hated all the unnecessary shit-talking and asshatery. Live is basically Warcraft tradechat, but instead of accidentally reading it you get to listen to it. Yay. So I go rid of my 360 and have stuck with PS3.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

General Zod wrote:
Wait what? Are you saying the 360 requires an internet connection? Or just for the multiplayer? Because if you're saying it needs an internet connection for sp you're being retarded.

Also, PSN is prone to more bouts of downtime thanks to "maintenance", and "network problems". Updates also happen frequently and tend to be a pain in the ass to deal with, where they're relatively simple on the 360.
Dude, lay off the retard talk will you? I was just mentioning my reasons for picking the PS3. No need to go ballistic over me forgetting to also mention that the Xbox 360 doesn't need an Internet connection when there are already multiple people who already mentioned it and I just didn't bother to repeat it.

Secondly, I can't comment on the downtime because I don't play online that much. But again the fact that I can logon to the PSN without needing to shell out an extra $60 was a big selling point for me; which I thought Thanas may find relevant because he also doesn't seem to plan to do much online play either.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zinegata wrote: Secondly, I can't comment on the downtime because I don't play online that much. But again the fact that I can logon to the PSN without needing to shell out an extra $60 was a big selling point for me; which I thought Thanas may find relevant because he also doesn't seem to plan to do much online play either.
If you won't use the multiplayer then neither one is really a dealbreaker. I had my PS3 connected online all the time for store access and such, and every time I turned it on it seemed like there was a new update that wound up taking 10 to 30 minutes.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Max wrote:I am somewhat echoing Jub. I had both 360 and PS3 at the same time, but I found that a majority of the games I bought tended to be on both consoles. As great as Live is, technology wise, I hated all the unnecessary shit-talking and asshatery. Live is basically Warcraft tradechat, but instead of accidentally reading it you get to listen to it. Yay. So I go rid of my 360 and have stuck with PS3.
Can't you simply mute the other players ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Sarevok wrote:
Max wrote:I am somewhat echoing Jub. I had both 360 and PS3 at the same time, but I found that a majority of the games I bought tended to be on both consoles. As great as Live is, technology wise, I hated all the unnecessary shit-talking and asshatery. Live is basically Warcraft tradechat, but instead of accidentally reading it you get to listen to it. Yay. So I go rid of my 360 and have stuck with PS3.
I could, but then I'd spend half my time muting people. It's not like one person only ever does it. At least when I played over Live, granted this was back in 2006 and it could be better now, it would become a domino effect of lowest common denominator. It's a service I was paying for, and I shouldn't have to feel offended by being called a "fag" (particularly since I AM gay) or "nigger", and then spend the next 10 minutes muting everyone who adds to the fire. I can tolerate trash, but there's a line which many people make it a point to cross that makes it no longer fun or worth the effort for me.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Max on 2012-08-31 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Max wrote:
Sarevok wrote:
I could, but then I'd spend half my time muting people. It's not like one person only ever does it. At least when I played over Live, granted this was back in 2006 and it could be better now, it would become a domino effect of lowest common denominator. It's a service I was paying for, and I shouldn't have to feel offended for being called a fag or nigger, and then spend the next 10 minutes muting everyone who adds to the fire. It's not fun or worth the effort to me.
It's no better on PSN, public networks everywhere are pretty much filled with homophobic, racist 12 year olds and homophobic, racist 12 year olds disguised as grown men.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

General Zod wrote:
Max wrote: I could, but then I'd spend half my time muting people. It's not like one person only ever does it. At least when I played over Live, granted this was back in 2006 and it could be better now, it would become a domino effect of lowest common denominator. It's a service I was paying for, and I shouldn't have to feel offended for being called a fag or nigger, and then spend the next 10 minutes muting everyone who adds to the fire. It's not fun or worth the effort to me.
It's no better on PSN, public networks everywhere are pretty much filled with homophobic, racist 12 year olds and homophobic, racist 12 year olds disguised as grown men.
For me, it's actually a lot better over PSN. I'm not sure if the players are just more mature or what, but I've never had that experience over PSN. But everyone's experience is different, and I'm just relating mine.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Max wrote:For me, it's actually a lot better over PSN. I'm not sure if the players are just more mature or what
You don't get a headset in the box.

That's the difference.

And when people do have headsets they're crappy bluetooth jobs, and the voice codec is so terrible that you can't understand people half the time anyway.

But this doesn't matter, I never encounter these people on XBL because I'm always in party chat with real pretend internet people.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, I've never heard anyone in a multiplayer game because almost nobody uses the regular game channel (which I believe is the only channel PSN has). Everyone is using parties, private chats, etc. The most annoying it gets are the people who have forgotten they have their mic on.

Even when playing super popular twitch shooters like MW3 and the like, I've experienced more irritation on PC than anywhere else. I've muted like four people in my whole life and two of them are in my friends list. :lol:

The idea less people talking is a good thing is a bit bizarre. But don't listen to this guy anyway, he hasn't played for literally 6 years and the introduction of parties basically eliminated it. Maybe listen to current players who like communication and have friends instead. :lol: