Memtest question

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

montypython
Jedi Master

Memtest question

Post by montypython »

I recently just replaced my PC3200 memory DIMMs in my PC with new ones due to constant blue screens even after several repair install to correct for possible file/driver corruption. The new DIMMs seemed to work fine at first, but then it had slowdowns and then a blue screen occurred. I ran Memtest to see if there were any errors on the new memory, and it showed a possible error in test #6 (a 4-bit sized "good error" code). How do I tell if the issue is the memory or some other element of the system (motherboard or otherwise)?
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Re: Memtest question

Post by XaLEv »

Test the DIMMs individually and in different slots to see if the error only happens with one in particular.
「かかっ―」
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Not sure if it helps but I had frequent bluescreens when I had mine set at the default voltage, turns out they were being undervolted at default and needed to bump it up from 1.5 to 1.65 or something like that.

The again mine was happening when I ran memtest at about the same two bits of memory within memory and it followed the ram around even when I moved it.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Volts are one thing, but also check the timings in your BIOS (like CAS latency - CL). Overcranking the settings for RAM is a good way to experience the things you are experiencing.

Memtests are seldom conclusive, since they only tell you the state of the chip at it's particular settings. Only if you are positive that timings and voltages are correct, you can presume that memtest error is due to physical problems with the chip itself.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Tolya wrote:Volts are one thing, but also check the timings in your BIOS (like CAS latency - CL). Overcranking the settings for RAM is a good way to experience the things you are experiencing.

Memtests are seldom conclusive, since they only tell you the state of the chip at it's particular settings. Only if you are positive that timings and voltages are correct, you can presume that memtest error is due to physical problems with the chip itself.
After testing the system again on different settings the memory stability got worse, and also had increased lag as well. After testing one of my original memory sticks (Buffalo Select) that turned out to be good and had no lag problems et al, it seems that the new sticks can't tolerate the voltage of the MB (2.5V for chips vs 2.6V for MB), so I'm RMAing the chips for a refund and see if I can find something with closer specs to the original memory.