GW Orks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

GW Orks

Post by Aaron MkII »

So I'm toying with the idea of an Ork army, so I can sweep my son's CSM army aside in a green tide. Anyone have recommendations for a fast but vehicle heavy force?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: GW Orks

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

In my last tournament I came across an Ork combat patrol force composed of 9 Def Dreads (or where they Killer Kans? one of the two) that was particularly horrible to deal with.

EDIT: I should probably clarify for the uninitiated that those are Ork walkers - kinda like SM Draeadnoughts but smaller/cruder. Either way they are a bitch to deal with if you only have anti-infantry guns like I did (fortunately I had 3rd edition Necrons so I could disable the Kans with Gauss flayers :twisted: )
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I played against a guy awhile back who had almost nothing but bikes.

Of course, it's hard to go wrong with a bunch of trukkz loaded with boyz. Maybe add in a Battlewagon for support, because... well... deffrolla. It rolls things. To deff.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

You can go a Battlewagon and Deffrolla heavy build. Nobz can take Battlewagons as Dedicated transports, so it doesn't take up heavy support slot. A Warboss makes Nobz troops, so you could run a Big Mek with Kustum Force Field, Warboss (or Ghazghull) and a unit of Nobz (outfitted to fully sodomize wound allocation) in Battlewagon, a unit of Burnas in a Battlewagon, and then Boyz in the other two wagons, and Trukks if you have the points. The Big Mek protects your vehicles, the Deffrollas on the Battlewagons gives them a way to deal with heavy armor, the Nobz will tear up pretty much everything, the Burnas slaughter SS/TH terminators, and you've got huge threat ranges on your Nobz and Boys with moving 13", deploying 2" away from any part of the hull, Waaagh move of 6", and then assault of 6".

So, a 27" threat range on charging with one of the most stompy Combat characters, a unit with nothing but Str4 power weapons with 3 attacks, and the Str5 Nobz outfitted for close combat destruction, and then at least 30 extra Boyz to pour on the hurt. And the Nob Squad is scoring. Not bad, eh?
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

So three battlewagons?

That does look like a lot of ouch, I need to pick up the Codex to fully explore my options but I like those ideas.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Aaron MkII wrote:So I'm toying with the idea of an Ork army, so I can sweep my son's CSM army aside in a green tide. Anyone have recommendations for a fast but vehicle heavy force?
Fortunately for you, those terms are synonymous with Orks. :mrgreen:

Lots of Bikes, Deffcoptas, and maybe a few Trukks and Wartraks for numbers.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Aaron MkII wrote:So three battlewagons?

That does look like a lot of ouch, I need to pick up the Codex to fully explore my options but I like those ideas.
FOUR Battlewagons. :)

And yeah, the codex is a must. Until you know the points of stuff you won't have any idea how much plastic cocaine you're going to buy! ;)
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Fenreer
Redshirt

Post by Fenreer »

Aaron MkII wrote:So I'm toying with the idea of an Ork army, so I can sweep my son's CSM army aside in a green tide. Anyone have recommendations for a fast but vehicle heavy force?
I have a recommendation to start painting Orks. :mrgreen:

I tried the whole "make the list before getting the army" routine once. I failed. I painted up the good stuff and let the rank & file troops languish for... eleven years.

The guys here who are currently playing 40K will give all sorts of good advice on how to build a strong army, but parent to parent: develop a system to paint rank & file or you'll lose your mind. Assault on Black Reach is a good way to get some Orks quickly. They've jacked to price of that set a good $25 since it arrived, but you can augment your boy's marines at the same time as you pick up some 'koptas, Nobs, twenty boys, and a warboss. That's a win-win right off the bat.

A good way to keep your costs down, if you want to keep your costs under control, is to go with www.thewarstore.com. They have a 20% off deal on their Games Workshop items. It helps when battlewagons run over $60 a pop. There also might be "boxed armies" available to further get a bang for your buck.

If you're not interested in playing in tournaments or in Games Workshop stores, and you've raised children already so I'm guessing you might fit that category, you might wish to take a peek at Mantic's sci-fi Ork line. They're not bad. They aren't fabulous, but they aren't bad at all. Decent ground troops and an interesting looking trike are what they have available at present as far as Orks go. The space dwarf minis are.. not good. Decent prices though, and if there's not a deal on their own website, the warstore also carries them at a discount. Some of the British webstores are already clearancing them out, so if you look around long enough, you could potentially fill your allotment of "Boyz" in short order and on the cheap.

If you're really wanting to save cash for other things, don't care about tournaments, and want to be far too original for your own good, check out model trucks and cars and "Road Warrior" yourself up your trucks through old fashioned kitbashing. Think of the possibilities of your Orks cruising in a 1954 Ford Pickup or a '34 Ford Roadster? I've found that 1:35 scale works fine and is also fairly standard. You can find alot of clearance sales on the internet and, since you're hacking them into vehicles for Orks, you won't mind if snobby modelers wouldn't buy them because the wheel-wells weren't exactly correct for the model year... especially since you're attaching spikes to the wheels anyway because that's how you Waaaaagh.

Good luck with your Orks. Hope my comments were of some small use.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

They were, as I totally forgot about mantic, and there is a store in Southern Ontario that has them.

I ran into the paint thing with the Guard, I must have a good hundred men unpainted. ;)
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

as a guard player, boyz and Nobs in Trukks really messed with me. Drowning the CSM in a tide of green couldn't hurt. Oh. and Gazgull is awesome too.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Vashon
Youngling

Post by Vashon »

Ghazghull and Ork+Choppas and sticky bombs. Loads of them.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

There, I ordered a Mantic Marauder starter set (50 guys and two trikes) to go with the thirty odd boys that came with my sons Assault on Black Reach set. I definitely have enough bits around here to make up for anything lacking in their weapons options. I've been toying with the idea of putting a thread up in the art section showing my progress once I start but my painting skills are pretty basic.