MWO video discussion

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Re: MWO video discussion

Post by VF5SS »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224425p1.html

"The thinking person's shooter"

I think I will laser boat and shoot knees again.

The fucking lies

The baldfaced lies

fuck this overheating earth
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I was rooting through some old stuff and I found some fold out key guides to a few PC games. One was for DID's F-22 Air Dominance Fighter game, which like most flight sims has a button to do all the important things. I also found the one for Mechwarrior 3 which was almost as big as the F-22's guide. I know the truth now. That you barely needed 30% of those keys to win

There's a gigantic list just for grouping weapons :v

Also I love how they reject the notion of a 3rd person view because it would let you see around corners

Yeah guys, just like the MAGIC RADAR in all the previous game right?

Or that little lean over thing you guys showed off in the trailer you got fucking sued over.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Newsletter update

I think I'll need to upgrade before I can play this but did anyone here try to get invited to the closed beta? I must know if they really did just make Mechwarrior 4 again.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

If they do MW4 style again it won't completely suck, but then i'm counting on a mass exodus of old time fans. Fuck em.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is it just me or is their art becoming more and more IDW Transformers?

Leg type cosmetic because the rules are too primitive and high level to represent different kinds of movement or agility. FEATURE!
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

You guys want some exciting standing on a mountain while shooting lasers wallpaper action :>

CaptHawkeye wrote:If they do MW4 style again it won't completely suck, but then i'm counting on a mass exodus of old time fans. Fuck em.
They revealed that the Mechlab had the old slot based weapon mounting scheme so I'm sure some people felt threatened that someone didn't like the spreadsheet style setup of MW3.

I finally got around to finishing the last level of MW4 Mercs which I didn't realize was the final stage because it was just running around basic base level with some turrets and Mechs and killing them. The hardest thing was herding my lancemates through the walled in areas because the layout of the level fucked with their pathfinding. The whole climactic battle was mostly boring baby sitting.

So did you guys notice a bunch of the redesigns have these flat panels that extend off whatever limb they're attached to? Since the hitpoint system seems relatively unchanged, those parts would just be easy pickings for lasering in order to damage a whole arm, right?

Oh hey Stark

no ballistic shields this ain't Gundam Wing, scrub
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

You guys want some exciting standing on a mountain while shooting lasers wallpaper action :>

CaptHawkeye wrote:If they do MW4 style again it won't completely suck, but then i'm counting on a mass exodus of old time fans. Fuck em.
They revealed that the Mechlab had the old slot based weapon mounting scheme so I'm sure some people felt threatened that someone didn't like the spreadsheet style setup of MW3.

I finally got around to finishing the last level of MW4 Mercs which I didn't realize was the final stage because it was just running around basic base level with some turrets and Mechs and killing them. The hardest thing was herding my lancemates through the walled in areas because the layout of the level fucked with their pathfinding. The whole climactic battle was mostly boring baby sitting.

So did you guys notice a bunch of the redesigns have these flat panels that extend off whatever limb they're attached to? Since the hitpoint system seems relatively unchanged, those parts would just be easy pickings for lasering in order to damage a whole arm, right?

Oh hey Stark

no ballistic shields this ain't Gundam Wing, scrub
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The joke (beyond the general one) is that they don't understand that there are no shields in BT because the engine is incapable of representing them. They're fen say some mechs have shields or shield like feature but this has no mechanics! Or course it doesn't - the game uses an angle and position insensitive random hit location for fucks sake.

And I mean melee combat so bad and stupid right guys. :v
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Stark wrote:The joke (beyond the general one) is that they don't understand that there are no shields in BT because the engine is incapable of representing them. They're fen say some mechs have shields or shield like feature but this has no mechanics! Or course it doesn't - the game uses an angle and position insensitive random hit location for fucks sake.
Some of the fluff text for the stolen Dougram designs did mention robots were capable of dropping their guns (which are just a row of critical slots *I'm a smarmy asshole*) to engage in fisticuffs. It wouldn't be that hard to do something similar with a solid shield.
And I mean melee combat so bad and stupid right guys. :v

It sure is.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Geez. That's the first response too. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

http://www.razerzone.com/artemis

You can just aim better with a mouse anyways.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I like giant robots. I like my giant robots big and stompy. Mechwarrior giant robots are big and stompy, therefore I will try this game even though it is battletech and battletech is terrible.

That said, I suspect the Crysis Wars Mechwarrior mod will still be better, since it has combined arms. Even though it's a mod. And half-finished. And battletech.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have giant robots to stomp around in and pretty lasers to shoot at people.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Geez. That's the first response too. :lol:
I think some cults are less devoted than MW fans.
Best care anywhere.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Feil wrote:I like giant robots. I like my giant robots big and stompy.

Japan did it bigger and stompier
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

My, those /are/ big and stompy. Game itself looks pretty uninteresting, though.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

It was sort of the first in the series as they used the engine for the Earth Defense Force games where you fight on foot or in vehicles against giant monsters so it's a bit rougher looking with only a few enemies running around.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

http://mwomercs.com/founders?utm_source ... dium=email

Oh so that's how this free to play thing works

Pay for better robots and in game cash

Word from guys playing the beta is that medium lasers, LRMs, and flamers are broken

who da guessed?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The pay package seems almost identical to World of Tanks'. The fact that they don't have a finished game isn't.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

VF5SS wrote:http://mwomercs.com/founders?utm_source ... dium=email

Oh so that's how this free to play thing works

Pay for better robots and in game cash

Word from guys playing the beta is that medium lasers, LRMs, and flamers are broken

who da guessed?
I'll let them get away with shit being broken in the beta because that's what the beta is for.

The real test will be the release candidate.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The joke is that its broken in the typical MW way (medium lasers? What a new and unexpected problem) and it is quite possibly they don't even consider it 'broken', because their stated goal is 'make MW3 again, only charge people $40 a month for premium'. :lol:
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I know but with a fanbase this dogmatic it might be cruel to expect the developers to just depart from their established trends right away. They don't hear from guys like us after all.

I'd like to see some player video showing some laser boat hijinks in the beta anyway though. Probably covered by a non-disclosure agreement though.
Best care anywhere.