Windows 7 x64 won't install MSI packages

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dave
Jedi Knight

Windows 7 x64 won't install MSI packages

Post by Dave »

A friend of mine and I wanted to play some games and stuff online, so I suggested installing Hamachi and Steam. However, his computer throws an error up when he tries to run any MSI package.
Error Message wrote: This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
Link to image of similar error.

The error has a slightly different look to it than most error messages I've seen, which makes me wonder if it's not some malware preventing installations. Again, he's running Windows 7 64-bit, fairly recent install.

I've looked around online, but nothing looked promising. He was running Avast Antivirus, and I suggested MSE, Spybot S&D and MalwareBytes, but otherwise I'm not sure where to start on this issue.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Windows 7 x64 won't install MSI packages

Post by Executor32 »

Run services.msc and ensure that the Windows Installer service is running, that should fix it.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow