Star Wars: The Old Republic (The Thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic (The Thread)

Post by TheFeniX »

General Schatten wrote:Endgame Empire isn't any better.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-30cm0etnuHc/T ... +armor.jpg

I mean lvl 20 and 40 gear look fine, but then you hit the 50s and herp derp.
That looks like what the designer of the Terminator would do if he suffered a cratered head-wound prior to the creation process. But it's pretty much par for the course in this game.

I can't believe someone not only got paid to model/skin this gear, but that a group of people looked at the end product and stamped it "Approved." I'm almost positive these were rough drafts and some EA/BW Suit came in and said "Just use it, we're combining MMO nerds with Star Wars nerds: they'll eat up anything we throw at them."

This whole game feels like it cost $10 to make and the rest of the $300 million was spent snorting cocaine off the backs of $10,000-a-night hookers.

It's like the A-team got the class stuff, the B-team got all the Planet/grinding missions, and whatever was left over got anything labelled "end-game." Also, abusive alcoholics handled the engine optimization. Not accounting for bugs: you can walk through hardmode Eternity Vault if you have even a modestly geared and competent team. But if the Pylon boss bugs out on you once, it's likely to do it 6 more times.

Get this shit: A buddy was on Ilum and complaining about the graphics lag. As a joke I told him to "Spam B if you want your computer to die." All that does is open and close your inventory over and over for those that don't know. Oh, and do not do this in a performance (haha, not really) heavy area like Ilum. His client crashed and took most of his computer down with it. He couldn't open anything, even Task Manager. He had to hard power his computer down and reboot. I couldn't decide whether to feel like shit or laugh myself to death.

How fucking shitty is your engine and QA process that opening and closing the inventory quickly will crash your client?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

From what the Patch leaks on Torhead have shown the Dread Masters are the big bads from 1.2-1.5.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Well, both my wife and I have accounts now and we play together. It's pretty addicting.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Whoops. My lack of MMO experience is showing a bit.

I picked a server close to home to avoid lag issues, and I seem to have picked one with hardly any people in it. I'm trying to get a group together for the Essels Flashpoint, but I can't find anyone. Is there a way I can transfer my Character over to another server, or do I have to start over?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

At the moment, you have to start over. Luckily, since you're to the point of running Esseles, getting to your old level won't be all that difficult.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Actually I was using the Chat functions wrong. Figured it out and someone was nice enough to group with me for The Esseles and Republic's Most Wanted.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the medical probe ability (I'm doing a commando with a combat medic specialization). I think i'm high enough to get it, (level 14) but the Skill Trainer doesn't have it for sale

(Sorry if I seem noobish, but aside from 3 months in SWG and a 1 week trial of WOW, I have no MMO experience)
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

When training skills, there are two different tabs: one for your class (Trooper) and one for your Advanced Class (Commando). Look at the bottom of the Trainer screen and click the "Commando" tab.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

On the SWTOR note: We're doing hardmodes and would be 10/10 except BWs latest patch really fucked the Soa fight up. In order stop him from despawning if the MT gets "Mind Trapped" (which shouldn't have happened anyway), he now randomly drops aggro after each cast. And, since you can't damage him because of his shields, you can only maintain aggro through taunts. And his aggro table is shared with the mind traps (that need to be dps'd down).... so.... fuck you raid progression. It's almost impossible to get him positioned under the pylon now. Instead, we just burn Karagga's Palace.

On a positive note, I'm now running 5 pieces of rakata tank gear (inc the main-hand) and a full Columi set of DPS gear ready to go for march when dual-specs come. The train-wreck is still going strong, but raiding with these guys is fun, even if the challenge isn't really there. We should be doing nightmare mode soon.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

TheFeniX wrote:march when dual-specs come.
They've announced dual-specs? Do we know if it's just "different points config" or are they going to let you pick the opposite specialization?
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

IIRC it has already been stated that you can't change between advanced classes. A Vanguard will stay a Vanguard and can't switch between Vanguard and Commando. Which is fine because both are very distinct classes (they only share about half their skills between each other).
Complaining about that is IMO pretty much like complaining that you can't switch at a whim classes in any other MMO (discounting permanent class changes which are usually paid services).

By the way, i've been playing this game for two weeks now. I'm playing a Vanguard Soldier, and it's a really great class - getting up, close and personal without being restricted to melee attacks (i only have two attacks that are actually melee range, the others have a range of 10 or 30 meters). In PvE i am usually fighting in melee range, but in PvP the ability to stay out of range of those sith and still hurt them is great.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Serafina wrote:IIRC it has already been stated that you can't change between advanced classes. A Vanguard will stay a Vanguard and can't switch between Vanguard and Commando. Which is fine because both are very distinct classes (they only share about half their skills between each other).
Complaining about that is IMO pretty much like complaining that you can't switch at a whim classes in any other MMO (discounting permanent class changes which are usually paid services).

Except the skill trees and actual advanced class powers drastically change how to play the character, and it can take a long time to realize you actually hate the advanced class. Using me as an example, I have a Jedi Shadow at about level 20 and I'm finally off coruscant, and I can't stand any of the trees. Now, I'm still interested in the consular storyline. The only ways I can continue the storyline are:

1) play something that isn't fun
2) reroll a consular and play through Tython and Coruscant all over again.

That second one takes like 15 hours.

If they let you flip Advanced classes (something that has no effect on the story in any way, and questionably does anything for multiplayer), all my problems are solved. If they don't do that, I'm never going to see the consular storyline.

So hopefully it's obvious why I want them to let you alt-build into the other advanced class. :o
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ok, Two days and ten levels of playing go by fine, but I get to the black sun portion of Coruscant, and all of a sudden the game fucking hates me.

My internet connection will be working fine one minute, I can do whatever I want, but the second I try to run TOR, it'll work for a while and then crap out until I re-start my computer. I have no idea what could be causing this. I have had issues with the internet ever since we switched to Wide Open West, but this something new.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Have to agree that SOME method of being able to preview the ACs is required. The skilltrees dont reveal jack shit about how the class actually plays like and forcing people to make 2x as many characters to find out is stupid from the annoyance factor and server stress. Cut half the stress on the servers simply by adding this option.

Should it be easy - No
Should it be possibe - Yes

That said, I rolled a Sage / Sorc combo straight off which paid off leaps and bounds for longevity as these are excellent 'learning classes' with the added benefit that skill respecs allow you to effectively switch from Healing to DPS if you wish thus longterm flexibility. Not to mention that since they only use light armor one can effectively have them rolling in a full set of fully customised gear as soon as they hit the Fleet. Get someone who has Cybertech and your set from 10>50. The medium / heavy wearers got royally shafted in that aspect.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

My biggest gripe right now is the Galactic Exchange being total ass. I don't see why you can't narrow searches down to item slots, it's fucking retarded.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Flagg wrote:My biggest gripe right now is the Galactic Exchange being total ass. I don't see why you can't narrow searches down to item slots, it's fucking retarded.

Speaking of which, am I correct in my observation that the Galactic Market is actually limited to whatever local planet you're on?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Joviwan wrote:
Flagg wrote:My biggest gripe right now is the Galactic Exchange being total ass. I don't see why you can't narrow searches down to item slots, it's fucking retarded.

Speaking of which, am I correct in my observation that the Galactic Market is actually limited to whatever local planet you're on?
Luckily that is incorrect. The market is the market, it is however side based except for Terminals on Nar Shaddar which is a join market and a bastard to get to quickly.
They need to correct the fact it takes three transitions to get to the damn space station or even better put a market terminal and mailbox in our ship.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I almost get the impression that the GM is a fucking placeholder for a better system. You know, like the one Blizzard (not innovative guys) made 8 fucking years ago.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Mr Bean wrote:
Joviwan wrote:

Luckily that is incorrect. The market is the market, it is however side based except for Terminals on Nar Shaddar which is a join market and a bastard to get to quickly.
They need to correct the fact it takes three transitions to get to the damn space station or even better put a market terminal and mailbox in our ship.

Are we 100% sure, though?

I can look for Underworld Metals on nar shadaa and find nothing, and 5 minutes later at the space station there are 23 pages. That kind of discrepancy shouldn't exist.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The market on Nar Shaddar is available to both sides, it's not both side's markets. Anything on Nar Shaddar is just on Nar Shaddar, but both sides can buy and sell from it. The Space station market as well as the other imperial markets are the same market.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Mr Bean wrote:The market on Nar Shaddar is available to both sides, it's not both side's markets. Anything on Nar Shaddar is just on Nar Shaddar, but both sides can buy and sell from it. The Space station market as well as the other imperial markets are the same market.

It's incredible to me how City of Heroes does so many things better than this game, and it came out eight years ago.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Joviwan wrote:

It's incredible to me how City of Heroes does so many things better than this game, and it came out eight years ago.
Well don't you know if you blatantly steal good ideas from other existing MMO's then your an unoriginal hack WoW clone. You will be rewarded for instead making your own original (bad) ideas.

AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Joviwan wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:The market on Nar Shaddar is available to both sides, it's not both side's markets. Anything on Nar Shaddar is just on Nar Shaddar, but both sides can buy and sell from it. The Space station market as well as the other imperial markets are the same market.

How is this a bad idea? The game is set up so that the imperials and republic are in a cold war heading towards a hot one.

Nar Shardda is a black market area, so you can trade to both sides there.

Why would the other markets, held on worlds like Coruscant, Dromund Kass, and the Imperial and Republic fleets have stuff from the enemy state?
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

AMT wrote:
Joviwan wrote:

How is this a bad idea? The game is set up so that the imperials and republic are in a cold war heading towards a hot one.

Nar Shardda is a black market area, so you can trade to both sides there.

Why would the other markets, held on worlds like Coruscant, Dromund Kass, and the Imperial and Republic fleets have stuff from the enemy state?
Because that would facilitate more player to player trading and make it a hundred times easier for players to get what they want.

City of Heroes and City of Villains merged their auction houses across faction and servers years ago. Surprise--this made the game more accessible and fun
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

You have to be a special kind of idiot to think Shady dealings would occur directly between the Empire / Republic. The Hutts dont just operate on Nar Shaddaa and getting access to other sides markets could easily be justified as... you know SELLING THINGS ON AN INTERGALACTIC MARKET. Jeez, you could literally turn Smugglers and Agents into ideal candiates for having access to both markets or using Underworld Trading.

Simply remove the faction restricted markets and suddenlly 100% more customers become available to both sides allowing crafters to make ALL the goddamn stuff in their class trees rather than having half the tree dead because it only works for a faction you cannot even sell to. Nar Shaddaa is just way too shit to justify traveling there to use the non-faction trading. Maybe then all those non-darkside crystals sitting on the Empire exchange can go to Jedi that want them and vice versa.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, the IGM on our server exists only to let people send stuff between cross-faction alts, much like the Gadgetzan AH in WoW. Except, getting to Gadetzan was much less frustrating than going through the hassle of loading screens galore. And NS seems to take a ridiculous amount of time to load for such a small planet.

It's a shame BW decided to make everything center around faction Fleet stations. They could make Nar Shadaa more than the annoying shit-fest it has been in every SW game by doing something with a faction neutral planet that matters. Unlike Voss which is a retarded ganking shit-fest of a planet that manages to also be ugly and uninspired in it's design.

At 50, there's literally no reason to visit anything other than the Fleet station or Ilum and that's just sad. This same shit annoyed me to no end after Cata popped. I liked hanging around Ironforge in WotLK. Now it's SW, Org, or bust.