Star Wars: The Old Republic (The Thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic (The Thread)

Post by TheFeniX »

Do the Sith know Spoiler
they're working for a psycho whose long-term plan is to kill everyone in the galaxy to become God and has promised to revive them all as his willing slaves afterward?
I can understand Agents maybe doing their jobs and not knowing any better. But exactly how can Bounty Hunters be in on that? Or even other Sith whose general goal is to kill their way to the top? Please tell me the PCs on the Imperial side are doing something to stop this or just don't know about it. Personally, I'd be cool with playing an Imperial if I was involved in cleaning up the insanity in the system and making it a viable government.

I don't really care about people's faction choices, but this shit's pretty ridiculous storyline-wise. For a non-WoW example, I can see someone justify playing on the Klingnon Empire side, because they aren't evil. But the Imperial side of things is pretty much Chaotic Stupid as opposed to "Staggering Incompetence" on the Republic side. Note: I'm talking about the people who get personally involved in the Lore, not people who just want to throw force lightning or play Bobba_Fett1234.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've not played Bounty Hunter yet so here's the other Imperials.

Imperial Agent Spoiler
Your a professional charged with stopping a terrorists and secessionists. The Emperor is your source of authority after the Keeper (Head of Intelligence) and the Dark Council. The Emperor is almost never spoken about and has been MIA for awhile, not dead but simply not publicly active and he speaks only through the Dark Council
Sith Warrior Spoiler
Your the favorite son with a sleeping power, you aim to be the Emperor someday so who cares what the current one wants. This will be your Empire and your power
Sith Inquisitor Spoiler
As a slave, politics were the last thing on your mind. As a fresh Sith your far to wrapped up in the machinations of the Dark Council, your entire goal is wrapped up in what those stronger than you want until you can break free yourself and join the Council

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So basically, the Jedi Knight is just cleaning up everyone else's mess. It figures the Knight would just get the KOTOR 1 storyline. Not really complaining though. Fighting Sith Lords while magic lasers from space try to vaporize me is quite fun.

I found the conversation between our Consular and I pretty funny last night while questing on Belsavis (also, Republic believes in generational prison sentences. W.T.F.) Spoiler
Consular: "My questline is very important. I'm finding allies on Belsavis to help fight the Imperials. This is why I like the Consular, he's worried about the bigger picture while the Jedi Knight just kills stuff. So, what's your quest on this planet?"
Me: "I'm stopping some psycho Pure-Blood Sith from blowing up the entire star system and killing everyone here (including himself) and everyone else in neighboring systems. This is just the start of the emperors ritual to kill every living thing everywhere. So yea, Captain of the Galactic Football team right here."
Consular: "So, we still need troops to fight when you do that."
Me: "Fuck it, just send me."
Seeing things from 3 different class perspectives at the same time (Trooper, Knight, Consular) does let me see how everyone is doing their part to achieve the end-game for their faction. But it's hard to give a shit about other quest-lines when nothing else would even matter if the Jedi Knight fails. Haha, "big picture....."

On another note: Belsavis is such a terrible planet. Poor storyline really highlighting the epitome of Republic and Imperial incompetence. Very predictable story quest (go from Min, heavy, to max security). Then it's like fucking huge glaciers and ancient ruins to the north (it's snowing literally within like 50 feet of some kind of weird Tropical/Temperate hybrid climate) which come out of fucking nowhere and are insanely annoying to navigate and find anything. The only fun I had on the planet was catching some Sith out of stealth and force pushing him off a cliff.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Inquisitor's storyline is 100% Sith navel-gazing from start to finish. Which...explains why the Republic ends up wiping out the empire, I suppose, the Sith are too busy sharpening knives for each other's backs. In answer to the question about the Emperor, though, nobody knows where the fuck he is or what he's up to. That's a large portion of why there's so much infighting, actually. The Emperor built the Empire based on the principles of Sith leadership and personal dominance. Then he fucked off, and the Sith are trying to construct ladders out of the hilts of daggers sticking out of each others' backs in an attempt to climb to the top.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

White Haven wrote:The Inquisitor's storyline is 100% Sith navel-gazing from start to finish. Which...explains why the Republic ends up wiping out the empire, I suppose, the Sith are too busy sharpening knives for each other's backs.
Every single Republic storyline I run across is either the Republic is massively outgunned by the empire/pirates/criminals/whatever (yawn) or is in trouble due to mass incompetence. "We're Republic Soldiers, we're not trained to handle this kind of violence!" Seriously, if the Imperials could quit backstabbing everyone for 5 minutes, they could conquer everything. There's one class quest for the Trooper where they straight up backstab 6-7 world leaders that were on the fence about joining either side, thus letting the Republic gain access to all their money/power. In another quest, they sell out this pirate who won them numerous victories under the assumption that he would get his own Imperial Fleet as payment. And it's not like he didn't earn it by being an extremely competent and ruthless commander. But no, they betray him for EVIL!

You might be able to play this off as the Emperor keeping both sides about equal to buy more time for his end-goal, but I can't give anyone in this universe the benefit of the doubt. And since all the quest data is presented in cinematic format, I can speed read it easily and see the stupidity, unlike WoW and STO where it's given in paragraph format with my shiny XP and loots right near the ACCEPT button for easy ignoring.

As for the emperor: Spoiler
Considering it only took 3 Jedi Masters to track him down, I'm chalking this one up to massive incompetence on part of the Imperials not being able to find his space station. Either that, or Lord Scourge purposely left clues so the Jedi Knight could find him as part of his gambit to kill the Emperor. But he never mentions anything like this.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I'm still on my first character (Jedi Knight) and I just finished the second chapter of the story so I'm not by any means done my first class story. But from what I've played, the class quests and the world-arc quests are great! The side quests are a bit meh tho. You can tell they recycle the same lines for the generic responses. Still a lot of fun though. I fought a group of four Imperials last night around 15 levels below me. It made me feel like I was an instanced boss. :lol:
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

The bounty hunter is a large hunt across worlds against fellow hunters.
Spoiler
one of the hunters target is an Imperial Admiral
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I did love the way you corrupt Jaesa Willsaam. That was true Sith evil right there. On the other hand that's when Baras starts to fear you. I love the dynamic between Jaesa and Kira. Jaesa was a jedi who fell due to the weakness of the jedi Kira defected from the Sith and achieved Redemption because she saw the rot beneath the glamour. Also, the Emperor is voiced by Pinhead (doug bradley).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I have a love/hate relationship with Voss. On one hand, it's a bitch to get ganked at the commendation vendor by 3 Imps. On the other hand, it was fun hunting them down. I almost felt bad when we wrecked that Sentinel in the Cantina. That Jug was smart enough to head the other direction as soon as he saw us.

The idea of all the class questing hubs culminating at the Temple is kind of cool. But I would go nowhere near that planet without my buddies due to the 3 to 1 odds favoring the Imps. We did have a huge battle-royal outside near the neutral medical droid. 4 ungrouped Imps with companions VS all 4 BiPolar Bears. Man, abusing the shit out of the taunt system is awesome. We all ended up dying once, besides Rob who vanished when he got low, but we must have killed that Sorcerer 4 times and the other guys at least twice before they stopped rushing back into battle.

As for the PvE content, I've finally found another Neutral Stupid race. "If you see my wife, tell her, hello."
UCBooties
Jedi Master

Post by UCBooties »

Ok, I think I made a mistake here. I'm a level 12 Smuggler (Scoundrel) and my gf is a Level 11 Jedi Sentinel (I think sentinel, whichever one has 2 lightsabers) and we just can not beat the first flashpoint (Eselles). Do we just suck or did I pick a crap class specialization?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you need three for that flashpoint

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Actually, it's doable with two, but you need a healer that's seriously on the ball when it comes to fighting Ironfist. He is arguably the toughest boss in that entire flashpoint unless you count the power droid.

It's not that your classes suck, it's just that you have no tank. The Sentinel is good for dealing damage, but it just can't take a hit. I would suggest buying a few stims/med packs, or picking up a third to make it go a bit smoother.

Or using your companions. They don't actually add more bad guys to a flashpoint and will improve your survival rate immensely
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
The Yosemite Bear

I did it the other night with a sentinal, Commando, and a tank healer who couldn't do healing....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

UCBooties wrote:Ok, I think I made a mistake here. I'm a level 12 Smuggler (Scoundrel) and my gf is a Level 11 Jedi Sentinel (I think sentinel, whichever one has 2 lightsabers) and we just can not beat the first flashpoint (Eselles). Do we just suck or did I pick a crap class specialization?
Scoundrel heals, but since you're one lvl into it, not that great. Yeah, one more toon should do it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear

heh I don't know how I did it I'm playing by the Spagetti Western samurai code (in it just for the credits but no killing innocents) and now my hunter is lightside attuned

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Wife bought the game for me, and I'm enjoying it - playing a smuggler on the Republic side. Only at Level 12 right now.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

jegs2 wrote:Wife bought the game for me, and I'm enjoying it - playing a smuggler on the Republic side. Only at Level 12 right now.
I kind of peetered out with my gunslinger. DPS just isn't the god like killing power in this mmo like others, at least in my experience. I am having a hoot with my trooper though, a bit of tanking, a bit of healing, and adequate dps to level. I decided to go healer with him, though I feel odd doing that with a trooper, just doesn't seem right, but so far it works well and there is always need for a healer. I like healing as much as tanking so it works for me and the gear on a trooper always looks cool.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The gearing up process is pretty confusing and annoying at endgame. Bosses only drop tokens, no actual gear, which slows the process down considerably. Personally, I don't see how people have already locked out raiding gear unless they came from another game with a raiding guild and just picked class/specs that brought top DPS. That and they don't sleep... ever.

And you will need that top DPS because Bioware's hardmodes are uninspired. Almost all of the fights just added a timed enrage, so if your DPS can't deal out enough punishment, there are bosses you can't beat. Also, since our server gets laggy at times, certain boss fights are almost undoable, much like early cataclysm with split-second timing being needed to avoid certain high-damage boss abilities. I'd farm the first few bosses of X flashpoint, like we had planned, but you also need commendations to get gear, so that's not possible. And to craft gear to actually get us through hardmodes, you need materials that only drop off hardmode endbosses......

I understand hardmodes are supposed to be, you know, hard: but the difficulty ramp is massive. In fact, the only fight we had any trouble with on our way to 50 was HK-47 and how buggy his almost insta-gib DoT was at <50% HP. In fact, most of the hard fights are only hard because Bioware can't QA for shit.

In hardmodes, everyone has to bring something above their A-game and be fairly geared. This wouldn't be much of a problem except Bioware hates tanks (I can only get Elusive Mods by buying Corellia commendation gear and pulling the mods out one at a time. All the commendation mods are DPS: fuck you to Bioware). And without any kind of armory or combat log, I can't even begin to tell our DPS where they are lacking, and they are.

Supposedly, many ops are demanding certain class/specs with certain gear and anyone who didn't have the good grace to pick that combination is stuck doing dailies on Illum till Bioware gets on the ball.

Basically, the endgame reminds me of WoW, except worse because bosses don't actually drop gear, so there's no way to farm up gear to make them bearable. Illum is Tol Barad/Molten Front except somehow actually more annoying.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Speaking of being 50, here's what you can do at 50

Farm Dailies on Illium. There's four soloable plus one Heroic which can be done with two people and some crowd control. Each daily nets you 1 Dailies commendation and about 10k (The Heroic nets you 3)
Farm Dailies on Belsavis, there are three soloes and two heroics both of which require at least two good plays or four so-so players.

If you do everything you can get 102k in credits plus whatever drops and 17 commendations adding per day. So five days of work lets you set up any of your alts for life because 500k lets you buy everything you'd need to buy and letting them earn the 550k for speeder training over the life of their characters. Meanwhile your 50 can be used to PVP or Farm or Raid... or craft except the crafting stuff requires raiding which is just Farming in groups atm since the current instances are a little lackluster in story and content except I hear False Emperor.

So as for me I'm going to be working on my Juggernaut and my Sniper while I spend an hour or so per day making 100k to give to them so I can get them in Orange gear as soon as possible with purple level armaments.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Personally speaking, my game ends when there isn't any more story. I'll likely just roll a different class when I hit that mark with my first one.
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Convinced the fiance to give SWTOR a try. We're lvl 11, she's a Sorcerer and I'm a Juggernaut.

Last night we 2-manned the first Flashpoint (Black Talon?), and that was more fun than anything I have ever done in WoW. I don't know if it's the better engine, the music, the voice acting, the scripted events, or that it's just freaking Star Wars, but I'm having a ton of fun.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Anyone notice how the Jedi Knight and Warrior and Inquisitor and Consulars are essentially mirror images of one another.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

...Congratulations, you've somehow stumbled on one of the core design principles of the game. The next thing you know, you'll be telling me that the smuggler and Imperial Agent are near-perfect mirrors despite having different weapon types!

In other news, TOR is a game in which abilities are activated, usually with a predefined target, that then trigger an animation and a numerical combat effect.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

White Haven wrote:...Congratulations, you've somehow stumbled on one of the core design principles of the game. The next thing you know, you'll be telling me that the smuggler and Imperial Agent are near-perfect mirrors despite having different weapon types!
Bullshit, the Imperial Agent gets to call in orbital bombardment and the smuggler only gets a freighter strafing run, totally different.
Darth Yan wrote:Anyone notice how the Jedi Knight and Warrior and Inquisitor and Consulars are essentially mirror images of one another.
Uh yeah. It makes sure that both sides are on roughly even footing, at least as far as class balance is concerned.

On another note, now that I've started leveling my Legacy I'm curious as to what exactly they intend to do with it.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Mr Bean wrote:Farm Dailies on Illium. There's four soloable plus one Heroic which can be done with two people and some crowd control. Each daily nets you 1 Dailies commendation and about 10k (The Heroic nets you 3)
Farm Dailies on Belsavis, there are three soloes and two heroics both of which require at least two good plays or four so-so players.
Considering the commendations can only be spent on implants and earpieces (120 each) or more DPS mods, this doesn't solve my problem. Also, the idea of grinding dailies again makes me want to kill myself. This still isn't a solution as I'm stuck at my current gear level until I can beat heroics. Endgame is poorly implemented and buggy, which is what I expected to be honest. This is Bioware after-all. We've shelved our mains and are running alts now.
Darth Yan wrote:Anyone notice how the Jedi Knight and Warrior and Inquisitor and Consulars are essentially mirror images of one another.
I don't know how many Consulars can continually spam "Force Lightning" (a high DPS ability with a built in stun and, I believe, snare) and get kills. Don't get me wrong, these "press 1 to win" idiots are easy to kill (I do it all the time in PvE gear), but I have to use a whole load of abilities to lock them up and burn them down. Get 3 Sorcerers together, have them put FL in slot one, and just let them right-click their way to kills. It really is an idiot class.

As over-powered as Agents and Scoundrels are right now, they at least have to use 4 abilities to rack up the kills.