Star Wars: The Old Republic (The Thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Old Republic (Final Beta Test 11/25-11/27)

Post by Darth Yan »

Spoiler
No actually. He's actually well done. He secretly opposes the emperor because while he himself is an evil douche even he realizes that the emperor is too fucking disturbed. If you choose moral comments he gets annoyed. He's the Token Evil Teammate
. He Spoiler
saw a vision of the player knight defeating lord vitiate so he pretended to be loyal to take the SOB down. He's on your side but he's not a good guy. He simply feels that Vitiate is going too far. at the end of day's he is still a sith
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Seems BW has pushed up the early access. They should be sending invites out at any time, with players being able to log in as early as 4am CST Tuesday the 13th. Access is supposedly based on when you activated your pre-order key, so seeing as I did so in July, I had better get in on that. If you were in on the late November beta, you should just need to keep your launcher updated and check your e-mail over the next few days. Since STOs launch was kind of finicky, I went ahead and uninstalled TOR and am currently redownloading.

Going to be an early morning ensuring I get all my character names reserved.

I have to say, nothing about the TOR beta really blew my skirt up, but I am still so fucking pumped for this game.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Same, also considering Bioware got my money the first day you could pre-order on July 21st and registered my key that day I'm also good. Got 2 gigs left in the 20 odd gig download and currently shopping the boards for a guild in my timezone because I'd rather spend the first few days in good company. I'm pumped for the game as I hope it will finally be the MMO that becomes my game of choice for my already busy downtime. The Space missions being daily and easy to run in five minutes gives me great hope for the kind of quick in and out activities that WoW lacks in the end game.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Well that's a bad omen. Went to download the client for early access and the site is down for maintenance.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:Well that's a bad omen. Went to download the client for early access and the site is down for maintenance.
They announce that last week for a forum wipe and changing something for launch (Whatever it was)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Haven't been following the forum, so didn't know.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:Haven't been following the forum, so didn't know.
It will be up this evening/tomorrow from the posts.
The Beta's I were in we nice and stable even the stress test except for odd 5-10 second lag spikes for the entire server which apparently where when the logs were being backed up as for some reason they had a backup every two hours on player activities.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Unfortunately, if the thanksgiving beta weekend is to be believed they seemed to have halved the stat boost values of datacrons. I went through and got a number of them, and the ones that used to give 4 in a stat gave 2. Never got around to getting any of the 6/10 ones I found in beta over the summer to see if they were halved as well, but if so, I'm disappointed. Exploration is nifty, and the datacrons exist to encourage it.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

New client downloaded, fairly sure I bought and registered my pre-order in the first 24 hours, and should do some guild shopping, but haven't yet. Datacron nerf sucks, I loved stumbling over those in the beta weekend I was in.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

New PSU (old one was grinding bad) and Video Card installed. Hopefully this stops Taris from beating my framerate into dust. I suppose I could have moved my graphics settings down, but that's crazy talk. On the shit-end of the stick, there was another pipeline leak, so Monday thru Wednesday of next week is going to suck. Hopefully I actually have some time to play.

And forget guild shopping. Try and find random groups of people who want to do flashpoints and heroic missions and roll with them. I was about to get the contact info on two guys we ran the Taris Heroic with, that was until they got into an argument in General chat and started dropping racial/sexual slurs like it was going out of style. A shame, they were pretty damn good guys to group with.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well SWTOR is live and the shit has already hit the fan.
Why?
Well if you pre-order you were promised early access right off the bat they told us that in July. Well if you did pre-order in July for the collector edition which was the first one offered you don't get to get in today. But if you pre-ordered in August when you could start buying the standard editions when then of course you get invited first.

The shit storm on the boards is... epic. And yes I'm one of the ones affected but then I don't have time to play much till tommorow but I must laugh at that kind of blunder when you screw out the die hard fans who literally threw money at you the first day they were physicaly able except of course said fans will likely forgive anything.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

meh, I bought the standard edition in July, still waiting for my invite. :)

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:meh, I bought the standard edition in July, still waiting for my invite. :)
Fun fact, according to vz reports nearly 35% of Old Republic pre-orders were within the first week of it being available so that first week in January saw nearly 300,000 pre-orders before they dropped off to 15,000 pre-orders a week or so.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

What server are you planning on Bean?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:What server are you planning on Bean?
Dunno yet since I've not even seen the lists yet or which guilds are where. Likley I'm going to snap up names on half a dozen servers then pick one.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Have a feeling a lot of that will happen today.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

And I'm in and I have acquired my names

Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

When I get the chance to play tonight after work, I'll probably start on Ajunta Pall.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:When I get the chance to play tonight after work, I'll probably start on Ajunta Pall.

Hmm, isn't that a PVP? I'll be on a PVE.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've got my characters on Darth Bandon, Ebon Hawk and Jung Ga or whatever the most populated server is called (It's an RP-PVP server)

Speaking of the RP servers are already the most popular because most of the WoW players assume the idiots and hard core aholes avoid RPers like crazy.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Really? Because in my experience, RPers are griefer-magnets like no others.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

White Haven wrote:Really? Because in my experience, RPers are griefer-magnets like no others.
Not my experience from CoH, the WoW server I was on because the younger kids stay away from the Rpers. Won't stop the older trolls but in a nice experience guild you'll never run into them.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

My toons now exist on Corellian Run PVE east coast and Hyperspace Cannon PVE west coast. I'll see how 'WOWish' the kids are on the normal pve before heading over to an RP server.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Just got my early access invite -- at work for seven more hours. *grumbles*

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Advice for anyone, once you hit ten train those crew skills, your first companion should have at least one gathering skill, a creation skill that benefits from the gathering and finally a crew mission skill like diplomacy or trading ect. Bioanyalis is a good way to make low level bank as a Sith as your first 20 levels are spent beating up lots of wild animals which can be harvested and what's gathered stacks into the x99 range which means after a day you can earn another 10,000 from your fellow players or another 1,000 from the vendor. Or save yourself thousands in having to buy the ever useful stims.