Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

Post by Zixinus »

16th
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Here you go Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGp65PH6js
I had the same issues myself

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Finished the game. Now I want to get an avatar picture of the yellow core. :P
Spoiler
That it's not in the Borealis, despite the stronger hints in the sealed off Aperture research labs, it's under a field somewhere with sunny weather.
Spoiler
It's a salt mine, I think.

Reading the SDN Bunker thread it sort of makes sense, as that is what makes sense as to why the place is so big.

Maybe it extends to an underwater river or something where they could place the Borialis. Or even just portal/teleport the whole thing in.

What I wonder though, is what was the deal with the big, fat turret? We saw glimpses of it during the game and at the end, but we never saw it do anything.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I enjoyed it, the new puzzle elements made it interesting, although the majority were fairly easy to navigate through. Pretty much everything Wheatley and Cave Johnson said was hilarious, but Glados had her moments as well.

The only thing that really irritated me was the constant load screens on PC - I can't understand why there are so damn many for a game that really isn't amazing visually, especially at the start - you're blazing through the puzzles, and getting a loading screen everytime you enter the elevator. It get's slightly better later when the levels get bigger, but it's still fairly annoying to wait 5-10 seconds every few minutes as it loads up.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

One question about the ending.
Spoiler
When Wheatley was launched into space, was he travelling fast enough to escape the moons gravity ?

Because I would have really liked to see him smash into the moons surface, or start to burn up as he enters the Earth's atmosphere.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Zixinus wrote:I'm stuck near one of the endgame rooms.
Spoiler
As I enter, there are turrets behind a glass wall to my right and to my front is a gap. Beyond the gap is a blue gel dispenser. Above the gap is a warp funnel.

The only thing I have so far managed to do is get to the blue gel dispenser and get back to the starting area. I presume that I need to drop blue gel on the turrets. However, I have no idea how.

Any help?
Are you talking about the puzzle with only 3 turrets?

You need to set up the "floating" ray to take you and the dispensed blue gel from the side where the gel comes out to the other side (the one where you started).
Once there run to the button to reverse the ray, then after the gel has passed through the first portal, (but before it hits the emitter) get off the button (causing the ray to switch back to blue/pushing) while setting up the second portal to go over the turrets.
Wait until the gel has floated over them, thencut off the first portal (that's right next to the emitter).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

bilateralrope wrote:One question about the ending. Spoiler
When Wheatley was launched into space, was he travelling fast enough to escape the moons gravity ?
Yup.Spoiler
Post credits scene has him floating through space with the retard yellow core
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

The developer commentary has some gems in it. It seems that smooth jazz is funny to all ages, ethnicities and genders.

It seems that all the maps have proper dimensions except one. My guess:
Spoiler
The final boss map with the moon. But I'm not sure it counts, since you don't have control after your moon shot.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Finished it up today, it was.....great

I enjoyed the hell out of it, and all the puzzles. There were a few puzzles I had to save the game, and step away for a hour or two instead of constantly beating my head against the wall and come at it at the correct angle.

But overall, I'd say it's worth a 8.5 out of 10.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Spoiler
The space core reminds me of me as a kid :P
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Damn, I had to cheat and watch a walkthrough for the middle part of puzzle 19.
Spoiler
Couldn't figure out how to get the laser onto the second target. ^^
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Zixinus wrote:Finished the game. Now I want to get an avatar picture of the yellow core. :P
Spoiler
That it's not in the Borealis, despite the stronger hints in the sealed off Aperture research labs, it's under a field somewhere with sunny weather.
Spoiler
It's a salt mine, I think.
Spoiler
There is a newspaper article on the wall at the reception in the Old Aperture Science section. I am standing right in front of it now. :D Only the headline is readable, it says "LOCAL ENTREPRENEUR BUYS SALT MINE - Cave Jonson to Bring Science, Industry to Upper Michigan".

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Okay. Yeah. That was definitely one of the best games I've played in a good long while. Even with the loading breaks every other step, it's a total blast. Or several, really. Had trouble with a few of the rooms towards the end but that's a good thing, I think.
Spoiler
Space, space wanna go to space! Here come the space cops!

The ending pretty much defies all superlatives. Apparently everyone's glad to see the back of you. Except Wheatley. But hey. He did try to murder you.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

A new countdown has appeared..

I've got no idea what it's for.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I am in chamber 75 right now... Spoiler
OMG, the defective turrets! :lol: I especially enjoyed how the "shooting movements" got mor frantic when I went up to their face. And according to the box, the turrets are supposed to be put into baby's rooms at night... I guess that explains their strange knowledge about greek mythology. :D

Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

So, this hasn't been mentioned here yet, but it seems like our heroine is a legacy.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59468 ... 9B346F479/
Spoiler
Chell is the daughter of an existing Aperture employee, a scientist, by the looks of "special ingredient from Dad's work." This also tells us that the Take your daughter to work day line in Portal wasn't (or at least, isn't now if it was then) just idle nonsense from Glados. This brings up the question of WHY Glados brought it up, exactly, and what did happen to Chell's father. I'm also wondering if Chell's 'you were abandoned/ adopted spiel is at all true or just more of her headgames, now.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I am a bit unsure how that works.
For one, her name is redacted and according to the comic, she was old enough to both have a police record and to be pronounced dead.

And the Bring Your Daughter to Work Day looks like it was done around the time GLADoS started pumping deadly, deadly neurotoxin. I doubt that the exhibits would have been kept for decades.

So, I think it's just a red herring. It doesn't fit with the timeframe.

On my own thoughts: I finished the Co-op campaign and I have to say, I'm a bit dissapointed by the ending. That's it? I was expecting some big reveal, but we were downright told what we were getting. Also, it seems to have destroyed the character development we have seen in GLADoS.
Credo!
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Bought it, played it (single player so far). It's a hell of a game. I'm very fond of it.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Zixinus wrote:I am a bit unsure how that works.
For one, her name is redacted and according to the comic, she was old enough to both have a police record and to be pronounced dead.
Do you mean the test question? That just asks if anyone would file a police report if she went missing.
And the Bring Your Daughter to Work Day looks like it was done around the time GLADoS started pumping deadly, deadly neurotoxin. I doubt that the exhibits would have been kept for decades.
Aperture standard procedure seems to just forget about stuff and leave it standing, rather than cleaning up. Plus, that potato's been there a long long time. That all could be during the sleep chamber, but you never know.
So, I think it's just a red herring. It doesn't fit with the timeframe.
I'm not so sure, but it might be more complicated than we think. This is the same continuity as Half-Life, after all.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Here's an interesting picture. It explains a few things. Most of which I'm sure many have caught about Different Turret's mystical advice, but there's a few things I missed. The portrait especially was interesting.
Spoiler
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Spoiler

Valve : "Do of it what you want..."

Awww, man... Epileptic trees abound.

Was Pandora some sort of fertility goddess or somesuch ?
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Spoiler
Somewhere on there it says Chell got something from her father (who works at Aperture) for her experiment.
Also, is it just me or does Chell's whole family have first names starting with C? ;)

edit: That fucking equals sign got me AGAIN! :banghead:

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Skgoa wrote:Spoiler
Somewhere on there it says Chell got something from her father (who works at Aperture) for her experiment.
Also, is it just me or does Chell's whole family have first names starting with C? ;)

edit: That fucking equals sign got me AGAIN! :banghead:
Spoiler
Where did the idea of Chell being Cave's daughter come from ?
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

bilateralrope wrote:Spoiler
Where did the idea of Chell being Cave's daughter come from ?
Spoiler
Off hand, I'd say the vauge resemblence between Chell and, presumably Caroline in that portrait. An assumption that the two of them a in a relationship because of said picture, and Cave's generally positive thoughts on her voiced in that section.

Combined with the "Take your daughter to work day" mega-project with "Chell" on the by line, and "A secret/special ingredient from Dad's work."

All pretty circumstantial and red-herringy... but viable enough to prove true.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Thats the great thing about media with half-hidden backstory/mythology: its fun to connect the dots and in the end everyone gets to believe his own favorite version. :lol: