Mann vs Machine

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Mann vs Machine

Post by Zor »

Robot Hordes are coming to Team Fortress 2.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Re: Mann vs Machine

Post by Vaporous »

maybe the robots know what happened to Half-Life.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Horde Mode
6 v Robots

the MANN'S ARE DEAD, LONG LIVE MANN CO!
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Can't wait :angelic:

Tough it looks like stolen idea from Sanctum to me...
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Irbis wrote:Can't wait :angelic:

It's horde mode, it's been around for ages.

As for "can't wait" from my experience thats all I am doing when I want to play it.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

I've actually bought the orange box off steam forever ago but have never played TF2, this might bring me on for a bit.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

More servers are hosting it now, so I had a chance to play it for a while. Pretty fun, really. Wonder if they are going to let people play as robots sometime in the future, like the vs. mode in L4d.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

2000AD wrote:
Irbis wrote:Can't wait :angelic:

It's horde mode, it's been around for ages.
Funny how most of the time someone says "X stole the idea from Y" it turns out Y actually stole the idea from Z. Almost as if where the idea came from doesn't matter but instead every work should stand on its own merits. :lol:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I reinstalled TF2 to try MvM and it's not worked once since then. Maybe it's due to the game adding 50% more units than the game's designed for, but I'd have to host my own game without the damn thing crashing to find out.
Spekio wrote:More servers are hosting it now, so I had a chance to play it for a while. Pretty fun, really. Wonder if they are going to let people play as robots sometime in the future, like the vs. mode in L4d.
They've already got that. It's called Team Fortress 2. :P
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Grumman wrote: They've already got that. It's called Team Fortress 2. :P
I want to play as a gigntic metallic superfast scout.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Skgoa wrote:Funny how most of the time someone says "X stole the idea from Y" it turns out Y actually stole the idea from Z. Almost as if where the idea came from doesn't matter but instead every work should stand on its own merits. :lol:
If I say "X stole the idea from Y", I only use Y that I think did the idea best, not necessarily first, TYVM :P
Mongo
Redshirt

Post by Mongo »

The new co-op mode is kind of like a First-Person Shooter tower defense game. Or maybe an FPS Dota II. It's amazing we still have new updates like this coming out for TF2 considering it was released almost five years ago. Does anyone think EA will still be updating BF3 five years from now?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Mongo wrote:The new co-op mode is kind of like a First-Person Shooter tower defense game. Or maybe an FPS Dota II. It's amazing we still have new updates like this coming out for TF2 considering it was released almost five years ago. Does anyone think EA will still be updating BF3 five years from now?
It's Monday Night Combat :P

If you want more of a MOBA game then try Super Monday Night Combat, which takes basically this format and turns it into a proper MOBA.
Mongo
Redshirt

Post by Mongo »

What is a MOBA game? Never seen that acronym before.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mongo wrote:What is a MOBA game? Never seen that acronym before.
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, it's a unused term because MOBA's are mostly small and unpopular, DOTA is big but DOTA imitations are typically terrible or mods of existing games. It's a term I've heard but not heard used in the sense I've seen it once or twice trying to catch on but considering almost every game jams multi player in these days I find it a redundant term.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Mr Bean wrote: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, it's a unused term because MOBA's are mostly small and unpopular, DOTA is big but DOTA imitations are typically terrible or mods of existing games. It's a term I've heard but not heard used in the sense I've seen it once or twice trying to catch on but considering almost every game jams multi player in these days I find it a redundant term.
League of Legends has 32 million active accounts. It is pretty much the most played non-facebook computer game going.

DOTA2 has more players at peak on Steam than TF2 does, and it's relatively new.

MOBAs might have been "small and unpopular" a few years ago, when everyone was distracted by WoW's player base and wanted to make their own MMO, but MOBA games have basically blindsided the whole industry and are the big shit in esports now with a 5 million dollar prize pool for season 2 of LoL's pro tour, and I guarantee you that the upcoming trend in multiplayer gaming of all types is going to be MOBA-like features.

Calling MOBAs "small and unpopular" is like calling the Arctic "pleasantly balmy".
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Vendetta that's two games, you don't need a new term for two games. I said most MOBA's are small and unpopular, league of legends and DOTA2 are very popular but there does not exist yet enough games to justify a brand new term is my point. You don't hear MOBA being used because your talking about two or three games unlike MMORPG's of which there are one hundred and forty nine at last count on Wikipedia.

OAN about Man VS Machine, Engineer a fully upgraded default pistol is like having an actual assault rifle in ROF and damage it's crazy.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2012-08-26 06:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

There's a lot of 'MOBA-type' games actually. Many games have the 'few players control one unit each and fight, levelling up until the round ends by destroying some key structure'. Technically, even DoW2 is a moba. Same with a few less prominent games like Super Monday Night Combat, that Awesomenauts game, and that one game. Champions Something Something.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Awesomenauts, Smite, Super Monday Night Combat, League of Legends, DotA 2, Guardians of Middle Earth, Realm of the Titans, Rise of the Immortals.

There are lots of MOBA games and they are, as noted, the most played games on PC right now, they have the biggest money in tournaments and they have the most web TV presence. LoL on its own eclipses pretty much the rest of the PC market in terms of registered playerbase.

No amount of kvetching around the point is going to make your original contention that they are "small and unpopular" look good. You just didn't know about the current state of the PC market because, well, narrow gaming horizons.

(Dawn of War 2 gets close to a MOBA interface in Last Stand, but the classic DOTA/LoL style is two teams against each other, spawning waves of creeps to try and take the other's base down, with the general rule that players fight each other and fight creeps, but you can't actually win without getting your creeps through to the enemy's base and having them destroy it).
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

How is awesomenauts or Super Monday Night Combat MOBAs? As for Guardians, Realm and Rise they all fit my definition of small and unpopular. There are two popular games that fit MOBA we've already mentioned, and several multiplayer team deathmatch games that don't fall into DOTA style that MOBA is based off of.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Mr Bean wrote:How is awesomenauts or Super Monday Night Combat MOBAs?
Exactly the same as DOTA and LoL are.. But I guess not only failing to understand that LoL by itself makes MOBAs the biggest genre on PC right now you don't even have a clue what they are, they're games where players fight each other in order to be able to launch waves of creeps which are what provide the main push against the enemy base and, in the end, win the match, they mix PvP (fighting other players) with PvE (Fighting enemy and neutral creeps for XP and to prevent them attacking your turrets and base). Usually there's a discrete split between "lanes", where creeps go, and "jungle", where neutral creeps can be fought for XP (Awesomenauts' jungle is above the lane, for instance) Unlike FPS, for instance, MOBA does not refer to a viewpoint on the action and the viewpoint of the action is, in fact, irrelevant. Thus Smite and Super MNC are MOBAs despite the fact that they're 3rd person action game controls, and Awesomenauts is a MOBA despite being a 2D sidescroller. What you have to do to win a match in those games is what you do in any other MOBA.
As for Guardians, Realm and Rise they all fit my definition of small and unpopular. There are two popular games that fit MOBA we've already mentioned, and several multiplayer team deathmatch games that don't fall into DOTA style that MOBA is based off of.
Would you like a shovel, if you're going to dig like this? The fact that you've blatantly demonstrated that you can't recognise a MOBA if it doesn't look exactly like the one you've actually heard of somewhat disqualifies you from commenting on whether things are actually MOBAs or "team deathmatch".

And quite frankly the fact that there is this level of variety in the genre underscores the utility of having an identifier for them. Smite is clearly a MOBA, with all the gameplay and mechanics that a MOBA requires, but it is clearly not a DOTA clone, because it's also a 3rd person action game not a top down game borrowing its control interface from RTS.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Mongo wrote:Does anyone think EA will still be updating BF3 five years from now?
What, to the detriment of BF7 we'll see then? :angelic:
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

In Taiwan, where pay-as-you-go gaming is much more common than Australia, LoL is probably the core of the whole industry. And when you can play a whole day for like $5, get $1 pearl tea the whole time, without even owning a computer, who's surprised?

Also Demigod ruled. Fuck the haters.

And Bean, the Awesomenauts website clearly shows the devs know its a MOBA and designed it as such. I mean, its dogshit horrible, but it's obviously a MOBA.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It's not all that amazing that TF2 is being updated still. It's been microtransaction based for some time (IIRC, even before it went free to play there was microtransaction content), and the way to make a successful microtransaction supported game is to keep people playing it, and the way to make people keep playing a game is to keep supporting it with updates and content.

The model works basically the same as the Steam model itself*, you make things really cheap, so that people are prone to buying them on impulse because what the hell why not, but you keep the users engaged over the longest period of time possible, so that even if they only make those "what the hell why not" purchases every few months then over the extended period that they stay playing your game they end up spending real money. Often this means that they will spend more money on the game than they would have been willing to if you wrote that number down and asked for it upfront.

* Although Steam doesn't bother enticing you to stay, it just slams the door after you and bolts it, because if you wanted to leave Steam you have to leave your game library there, and whilst you're not leaving steam you've got the client installed and are open to that "what the hell why not" temptation as it spams you with the impulse buy traps after you close your steam game, even if you didn't launch it through the client.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

People (like, say, Microsoft) not understanding how the MT impulse thing works is sort of bizarre. But then, we get people who honestly believe selling 10,000 at $10 is better than selling 2,000,000 at $1, so..