World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: Hey Shep... (Tanks)

Post by Highlord Laan »

Trying to play with the BT-7, while fun, was an exercise in death-grinding boredom. I couldn't get in a match that didn't have IS-3's and Tiger II's in it. No to mention that the PzII Luchs was still kicking my ass almost without fail. It was faster, more agile, and better armed.

I decided to say to hell with the BT-7 and the T-34 line, bought a T-26, and have already upgraded to a T-48. Next up, T-28. Snagged the 76mm gun for the '26, and while it's a slow loading beast, I can turn BT-2's inside out in a single hit from the rear.

As an aside, I'm sorely tempted to buy into the German tanks as well. The Luchs is a nice little scrapper of a tank.

ADDENDUM: I'm already so sick and fucking tired of artillery. Apparently, WWII armies had their artillery equipped with long-range, laser-guided precision munitions for popping light tanks tearing across the field at 55km/h. From across the map.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Finally got my invite to the beta. What side should I got for, Germans or Russians and do we have any sort of SDN unit/squad going on yet?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Highlord Laan wrote:Trying to play with the BT-7, while fun, was an exercise in death-grinding boredom. I couldn't get in a match that didn't have IS-3's and Tiger II's in it.
Welcome to my world.
Luckily you don't have to stay in the game after you died. Just leave the match, pick another tank and play with that. Once the original match has passed, you still get the money/experience. Saved me a lot of time since I realized that.

edit: appearantly there is a way to skin your tanks. I really hope the final game will implement this is wel. Now it's all boring green and gray, so the ability to personalise your own tank should be nice.
Pietia
Redshirt

Post by Pietia »

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Finally got my invite to the beta. What side should I got for, Germans or Russians and do we have any sort of SDN unit/squad going on yet?
Whatever appeals to you most, since you can mix and match as much as you like (though it's inefficient to level up both factions at once). Most of us seem to be leaning toward Germany.

Clans aren't fully implemented in the game yet, so we have nothing official, but I've run in a platoon with Rogue a few times. I'm BCGaius for anyone who wants to friend/platoon up, though.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Just made 6 kills in one game and survived. Must have been a record for me. With a T-28 no less :mrgreen:
(90% of them were tank destroyers with no turrets so I could just turn circles around them. It was slaughter)

edit: another annoying thing with arty is that you can't even seem to hide between buildings or rocks.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Yeah, that's fun, the only round I've been able to pull off six kiills and live was with my PzJgI
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

My personal best is three, which I've done three times in three tanks.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Well this game proves that concentrated force of arms pays off. In one of these rare occasions were the team worked together we all took the same road in that camp-map (you know, with the fortifications on both sides). Absolutely steamrolled the other guys
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Wooo, I got into the backfield by myself, wiped out all the enemy artillery and two tank destroyers besides. Five kills! Also, is that our InnocentBystander driving the Hummel?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

How do you use the GPS mode in arty? I bought a wespe but all I know it's not rightclick. (died pretty soon thereafter)

Edit: and got an A-20 now. First match was with a Maus, 2 IS-7 and some kind of uber SPG :|
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Shift key, same as scope mode for regular tanks. Then it's basically just point and click, if your team is halfway competent enough to provide scout support and flank protection.

(it usually isn't)

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Today, I finally got enough xp to research the T-28, though I still need about 20k credits to snag one. In the round that finally got me the last bit of research xp, I was a lightning-quick one tank wrecking crew. On a map of rolling hills, train tracks and trees, I was tearing across open land, rounding turns, and blitzing the army of tank destroyers and artillery that slaughtered most of my team at around 55km/h. My HE loaded 76mm cannon minced the light panzers that tried to stop me, cracked open the side and rear armor of AT guns, blasted artillery to smoking rubble in a single blow, and tore down the single KV that dared stray into open ground.

I ended the round with 10 kills, no damage, and disbelieving cheers from both teams in chat.

Bow to the might of the Red Army!
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Highlord Laan wrote:

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Highlord Laan wrote:
I ended the round with 10 kills, no damage, and disbelieving cheers from both teams in chat.

Damn, impressive.

The map you describe is my most favorite map while we're on it
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Had a shitty match last night, some IS-3 got a hair up his ass and started TKing people, he got to two TK and we all started taking shots at the asshole. I think the most I did was knock out his tracks because in the entire 15 or so rounds I fired his health went down to 99% and his track visibly busted. Was fun watching the enemy roll up to him in light tanks though and blast him from all sides, he had no clue which one to even try to shoot.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

If someone starts teamkilling, don't shoot him. Shooting your own team is a surefire way to get banned, and they don't care who started what. Take screenshots and report him to the admins instead. There are griefers out there who intentionally provoke people into shooting them and then report them; this is a big thing the Russian clans do to other clans especially.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Man I'm glad to be out of the Hetzer

PzJg I = fun
Marder II = very fun
Hetzer = soul-suckung piece of crap
Stug III = fun
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Speaking as someone who doesn't drive TDs, all I know about Hetzers is that they're bloody fucking annoying to kill, what with all the sloped armor everywhere. Keeps bouncing all my shots.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Aww, I loved the Hetzer - it was the first vehicle in which I ever had a shell bounce off. It was a joyful moment. Of course, I hated the Marder II, but you would too if you were staring down three IS-3s and a King Tiger.

Finally started playing again yesterday, turns out I had quite a bit of backpay coming in. Consistently getting 3-4 kills and an equal number of damages with the PzJg I, so perhaps I'll move up fairly quickly.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

I feel like such as ass today. There I was in my now elite status T46, lining up a shot on the ass end of a PzIV with 76mm AP, I fire...and just as I hit the trigger, he moves. The shot streaks right past him, takes a friendly A-20 in the face, and blows him to pieces.

I immediately started apologizing over chat -getting myself killed by that PzIV in the process- but everyone generally laughed about it. Shit happens every now and then. Still felt like a heel though.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Do all the German mid-range tanks just suck or something?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Seriously, is the PzrKamf III Ausf A just a piece of shit or does it get better with upgrading? Wondering if I should just make the grind for the next tank up the chain and call it a day with this beast.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

The Ausf A is useless. The PzIII proper makes up for it though. With a good crew, that little thing punches well above its weight.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

The Luchs and Leopard are very good little scrappers in their own rights as well. Fully upgraded, Luchs can hold their own with A-20's on the field, and Leopards are an artillery players worst nightmare on the battlefield.

Germans generally dominate the Light Tank and Tank Destroyer arenas and do very well in the Medium Tank and SPG market. The only place they really lose some ground is in the Heavy Tanks, but it's still a close fight.