World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: Hey Shep... (Tanks)

Post by Highlord Laan »

I just applied myself. Looks like fun, and I hope to catch some of you from the side at range. :P
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I loved the KV-2 myself when I had it; the 152 firing HE is enough to spoil just about anyone's day, even if you have to be a bit judicious with your shots, given that it takes about three years to reload.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, I never even bothered with the KV-2 turret upgrade before moving on to the KV-3, because the traverse was ten degrees/second slower and it has the target profile of a giant refrigerator on top of the chassis. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Quick question. Is this a game you can play on the internet from the get-go, or do you have to buy it?

EDIT: No Grosstraktor? Come on.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Force Lord wrote:Quick question. Is this a game you can play on the internet from the get-go, or do you have to buy it?

You can play on the Internet from the get-go. It's still in beta right now. As I understand it, the plan is that it will be free to play after release, but premium features can be bought. Premium is not required to be successful in the game; it just makes advancement faster and easier. (A premium account earns credits and experience at a higher rate, and premium tanks cost less to repair and earn more credits per battle, though they actually tend to be less combat-effective than other tanks of their tier.) You also earn a small amount of gold every day, so that premium features can eventually be unlocked without payment. They give beta testers a large pile of gold periodically so that premium can be tried out for the test more effectively; I'm not sure if people who participated in the beta will get to retain that through the server wipe they'll do before release.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Have they given release dates for the full version?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Not to my knowledge. They still have large numbers of tanks and maps to implement and test, game modes other than "kill 'em all/capture the flag" to work on, clan and historical battle systems to put in, and the version number is currently 0.5.4.2, meaning they think they have a ways to go before 1.0. Were this not Testing, I'd say I'd keep you posted, but it is, so this thread won't be here. ;)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Force Lord wrote:Quick question. Is this a game you can play on the internet from the get-go, or do you have to buy it?

What the heck is a Grosstraktor? Do you mean the Großtraktor aka Pz I?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Oh, I should mention that the "current release" German tech tree isn't quite up to date; the JagdTiger was added as a Tier 9 tank destroyer advancing from the Ferdinand in the last patch.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Thanas wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grosstraktor
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

This is frustrating, in my Pz III Ausf A every time I played there'd be a number of Pz III playing whose armor I couldn't penetrate, now I'm in a Pz III and it's sticking me in matches with Tigers and IS-1s. I didn't expect every match to be a Light-Medium match, but out of the thirty or so matches I've played it's all fucking heavy tanks. Anyone have some advice?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

I have also been playing this quite a bit. I am making my way up the Soviet heavies tree, my current tank being the IS-3. All told I am actually a little underwhelmed with the later Soviet heavies - they cannot one shot kill even medium tanks reliably, but they have a glacial reload time of 15-20 seconds.

Almost every match I get a few good shots off and heavily damage an enemy, but almost immediately have my tracks disabled by a storm of small calibre HE shells... shortly thereafter followed by my ammo rack being damaged and/or loader being injured which puts my reload time up closer to a minute and then I am destroyed inch by inch with almost no way to retaliate. At the end of the match I will get maybe 7000 credits and have to pay 10000 for repairs and another 6-8000 for replacement ammo (which is up to 1000 per shell).

Now obviously the heavy tanks cannot be good money makers, otherwise the player population would be hugely skewed towards them (more so than it is) but it's still no fun to die ignobaly every match then have to pay through the nose for the priviledge. I'm probably going to go and buy another KV-3, as I had much more fun with that.
General Schatten wrote:...I didn't expect every match to be a Light-Medium match, but out of the thirty or so matches I've played it's all fucking heavy tanks. Anyone have some advice?
There's nothing you can do to avoid that - all I can suggest is when you get into those matches just scout for the artillery and the heavies, as this will still get you plenty of XP. I also have a Churchill, and when I use that I often get put in light/medium matches in which I am the heaviest tank - this is great fun, as the Churchills very rapid fire 6 pounder gun can slaughter medium tanks while its armour keeps them nicely at bay.

And yeah Shep; don't be fooled by the MMO name, all that means is there is persistence of your vehicle and research progress between discrete matches. It also lets you play around with bucket loads of prototype/hypothetical gear that you will likely never see in any other game.

I'm still sad there is no mini Brit tank tree - I want the Black Prince, Centurion and the TOG series tanks; the Archer and Tortoise TDs.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
Thanas wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grosstraktor
Google it yourself, idiot, and you will realize it does not exist.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Thanas wrote: Google it yourself, idiot, and you will realize it does not exist.
Or rather that it was just a codename for a secret tank development project during the Weimar Republic, which did not result in any single tank. The later Neubaufahrzeug (actually a project code word as well, but usually used for certain prototypes) seems to be included in the final tech tree though, under the premium tanks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Thanas wrote: Google it yourself, idiot, and you will realize it does not exist.
Or rather that it was just a codename for a secret tank development project during the Weimar Republic, which did not result in any single tank.
The later Neubaufahrzeug (actually a project code word as well, but usually used for certain prototypes) seems to be included in the final tech tree though, under the premium tanks.

That would be the Großtraktor I mentioned. But the word Grosstraktor does not exist in the German language.
------------
------------
My LPs
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Thanas wrote: That would be the Großtraktor I mentioned. But the word Grosstraktor does not exist in the German language.
Isn't it still acceptable to render "ß" as "ss" if for example writing German with a non-German typewriter that does not have the letter "ß"? Perhaps JSF does not have Character Map installed on his computer :mrgreen:
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Thanas wrote:That would be the Großtraktor I mentioned. But the word Grosstraktor does not exist in the German language.
I wasn't aware this was a German language board?

The word Grosstraktor exists in english; deal with it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:The word Grosstraktor exists in english; deal with it.
Yeah, used by people who can't spell.
------------
------------
My LPs
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
The word Grosstraktor exists in english; deal with it.
Nevertheless, without further qualifications Großtraktor/Grosstraktor does not refer to any single vehicle. It's a development project code name.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Thanas wrote:
JointStrikeFighter wrote:The word Grosstraktor exists in english; deal with it.
Yeah, used by people who can't spell.
Or people who use the English alphabet, which does not have whatever funky letter that is and therefore cannot spell words employing it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Woo, got in. Had some fun nubbing about in my Nubtraktor, and hesitantly upgraded to a PzII, which has since grown on me on the account of it actually being fun, unlike the PzIII A. I mean, is it just me, or does the PzIII A suck a nigh-unfathomable quantity of festering balls? With the PzII, I at least get thrown into matches with nubmobiles, other PzIIs, BT-2s, and the like. On the PzIII A (which has less armor than the PzII FFS) 90% of matches are against PzIVs, KV/KV-3s, StuGs, T-34s, etc. Even if I play ultraconservative (sitting in a bush somewhere playing defense) I just fucking explode if a bird so much as takes a shit over my tank. I'm lucky to get a single penetrating hit on some passing light tank before dying.

I finally got the XP for PzIII (which has over 4 times as much armor :wtf:), but I'm a loooong ways off for the cash for it.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

The PzIII is just as bad as the Ausf A, in that I've never been put up against light tanks except for the PzII Leuch or PzIII. And it's especially frustrating because I just had a match where I penetrated a Tiger I from about 10m off in the side with three shots (I didn't get the kill, a KV took it out), but I shot a T-34 from maybe 5m at most at the side and rear with zero penetration despite five shots or more. I'm really thinking about stop playing it because it's really pissing me off that I can penetrate a heavy tank like the Tiger but another Medium tank is invulnerable to my 5cm KwK38 and the fact that every time I so much as take a glancing shot or a light jolt my tracks seem to break. No fucking joke, last night a PzII from my own side accidentally hit me causing no damage but my tracks still broke. I'm starting to think the German tanks are glitched.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I saw the thread title and thought:

Tanks....

BUT NO TANKS! :lol:

Tank you very much! :lol:

Tanks for the memories! :lol:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'm anxious to try it out so I registrered myself and hope for the best.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

General Schatten wrote:The PzIII is just as bad as the Ausf A, in that I've never been put up against light tanks except for the PzII Leuch or PzIII. And it's especially frustrating because I just had a match where I penetrated a Tiger I from about 10m off in the side with three shots (I didn't get the kill, a KV took it out), but I shot a T-34 from maybe 5m at most at the side and rear with zero penetration despite five shots or more. I'm really thinking about stop playing it because it's really pissing me off that I can penetrate a heavy tank like the Tiger but another Medium tank is invulnerable to my 5cm KwK38 and the fact that every time I so much as take a glancing shot or a light jolt my tracks seem to break. No fucking joke, last night a PzII from my own side accidentally hit me causing no damage but my tracks still broke. I'm starting to think the German tanks are glitched.
This is about the same experience I had with the PzIII. I imagine they haven't implemented the level matching system yet? I remember when I was using the T-46 I got a total of two kills with it (both of them involving ramming) before I managed to get up to the T-28. I'm not sure I ever got any kills with that. It was only when I got the KV-1 that I was able to start actually hurting people reliably, and I think on the German side it's even worse. One reason why I liked to play tank destroyers, because they got killing power much faster than the other trees.

Besides artillery of course, the rotten bastards... speaking of which, how's artillery now? Is it still a problem?
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"