The bargain bin - steam, electronics etc.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: The bargain bin - steam, electronics etc.

Post by adam_grif »

Metro 2033 is $7.50 on steam right now.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Steam sale, bunch of stuff is on the list.

Is dead rising 2 worth $27?

oh, in case you haven't, get bad company 2 for $7. seriously, get this shit right now. on steam.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

The answer to your DR question is: Did you like DR? Do you want more of that with slight improvements, but keeping the things which made it frustrating (save points are toilets)?

IF yes and yes, then yes.
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

never played the first one
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Artemas wrote:never played the first one

My personal opinion? Yes, it's worth 27 bucks. it's good zombie smashing fun. VERY japanese, VERY gory. it's pretty mindless, but the ability to combine weapons is pretty cool.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Artemas wrote: oh, in case you haven't, get bad company 2 for $7. seriously, get this shit right now. on steam.
Quoted for truth. Once you have destructible buildings in your FPS, you don't want to go back.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Artemas wrote:Steam sale, bunch of stuff is on the list.

Is dead rising 2 worth $27?
You can get it for $19.99 off the GFWL marketplace.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

Wow, I hate that I can't buy the F.E.A.R. pack, just because I happen to live in the wrong country.
Would someone help me out and buy this and send it to me as a Steam gift, via email? Of course I would pay in advance via paypal. I'm serious about this (PM me).
Also, what is up with the prices? Here they are selling Battlefield Bad Company 2 for almost 14€. Well, nothing new there I guess.
"Who controls the past controls the future who controls the present controls the past" - George Orwell - 1984

"One must always make an argument that is convincing, but never necessarily satisfying (or, in most cases, even logical)." - Axis Kast
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

If you live in the wrong country, then someone can't give it to you. Out of region games simply won't work if you're in the wrong region.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
scythewielder
Youngling

Post by scythewielder »

Archaic` wrote:If you live in the wrong country, then someone can't give it to you. Out of region games simply won't work if you're in the wrong region.
Last time I checked, this was (quite fortunately) not true in general.

It's still possible that specific games might have additional region restrictions and/or any other similarly heavyhanded measures meant to protect discriminatory pricing schemes or what have you, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Unfortunately, I'm not actually in a position to help Wedge on this one.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Deus Ex complete pack is 2.99, amongst other awesome deals.

I'm going to pick up Deus Ex pack and Arkham Asylum for 15 bucks.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

adam_grif wrote:Deus Ex complete pack is 2.99, amongst other awesome deals.

I'm going to pick up Deus Ex pack and Arkham Asylum for 15 bucks.
Why don't you wait with Batman Arkham Asylum? Maybe they'll feature it in one of the DAILY DEALS and the you can get it even cheaper?
Look for example today, there is BioShock 2 and the last Tomb Raider even cheaper then yesterday. I'm sure you won't be glad if you buy it and 2 days later it's even cheaper. I bought Batman A.A. long ago also in a Steam offer for 15€, and it was totally worth it. I'm a cheap ass and I only buy games that are in offer through Steam or in the bargain bin. I do make exceptions with awesome games though, and Batman A.A. was one the exceptions. So it's worth the money, but if you can wait to see if they sell it even cheaper.
"Who controls the past controls the future who controls the present controls the past" - George Orwell - 1984

"One must always make an argument that is convincing, but never necessarily satisfying (or, in most cases, even logical)." - Axis Kast
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

The Witcher: Extended Version for $5.00 on Steam. I never got around to playing the extended version but the original was a pretty good game. I'd definitely recommend the game at this price point.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm going to be disconnected for a week or so imminently. Should World in Conflict complete edition be on sale one day (for a better deal than the flat discount it has now) can someone hook me up with a gift and we'll sort out payment?
Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

weemadando wrote:I'm going to be disconnected for a week or so imminently. Should World in Conflict complete edition be on sale one day (for a better deal than the flat discount it has now) can someone hook me up with a gift and we'll sort out payment?
Wrote you a PM, check it out.

As for today's offers. I highly recommend you get Assassin's Creed 2. Here in Germany it's selling for 14,99€. Almost the same as an imported game from the UK. Do yourself a favour and play it, for me this one + Mass Effect 2 were the best games from the last season.

As for Just Cause 2 = 6,25€, I bought it just 2 and a half weeks ago when there was the same offer.
For that price it's not a bad, even though storywise it's so terrible (and not funny as was clearly their intention). When you complete the main story you don't even achieve 25% of the game, because then you can keep on playing in something called "Mercenary Mode" to discover all locations and liberate all places, finish faction missions and causing chaos. If you've seen trailers and it seemed funny get it for this price, if you pay more I promise you'll be disappointend.

If anybody could gift me "Aliens vs Predator" and I'll pay them. To not risk it I even have a fake account you could log-in with.

Damn you Steam, always making me buy more games than I originally intended. The only good thing is that I have games for a long time and can wait for new games that will come out to get a price-drop.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I wouldn't recommend bothering with the PC version of AC2 at all. It comes packaged with Ubisoft's obscene DRM that requires you to be online the entire time you play. On the other hand Bully for $3.75 is a decent deal for arguably one of the best games Rockstar's put out in the last 5 years.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Bully apparently isn't available in Aus/NZ for some reason, in case anybody there was thinking of picking it up.

Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

General Zod wrote:I wouldn't recommend bothering with the PC version of AC2 at all. It comes packaged with Ubisoft's obscene DRM that requires you to be online the entire time you play. On the other hand Bully for $3.75 is a decent deal for arguably one of the best games Rockstar's put out in the last 5 years.
So? I bought AC2 for PC and it didn't bother me. I'm almost always online anyway, apart from that I actually liked the idea of having the savegames online. There are a lot of people like me that don't have any console and play on PC, for them I do recommend getting it.
adam_grif wrote:Bully apparently isn't available in Aus/NZ for some reason, in case anybody there was thinking of picking it up.
Also not available in Germany, big surprise there...

Wedge
Padawan Learner

Post by Wedge »

Gifting to circumvent the country-block WORKS!

A friends in Spain gifted me AvP and Bully since they weren't available here in Germany, I'm downloading both right now, so in case anybody was wondering, it does work :D .

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Wedge wrote:So? I bought AC2 for PC and it didn't bother me. I'm almost always online anyway, apart from that I actually liked the idea of having the savegames online. There are a lot of people like me that don't have any console and play on PC, for them I do recommend getting it.
If your internet's 100% reliable anyway. If you have sporadic outages due to the neighborhood or shitty lines I certainly wouldn't want to risk losing hours of gameplay because of a bad internet line.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

So the Silent Hunter games are on sale today. Silent Hunter V is the latest but it got a pretty bad score rating whereas Silent Hunter III garnered a 90% on metacritic. I've never played any of the Silent Hunter games. Is Silent Hunter V worth getting or should I opt for the older but "better" Silent Hunter III?
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:So the Silent Hunter games are on sale today. Silent Hunter V is the latest but it got a pretty bad score rating whereas Silent Hunter III garnered a 90% on metacritic. I've never played any of the Silent Hunter games. Is Silent Hunter V worth getting or should I opt for the older but "better" Silent Hunter III?

Get III. it's seriously amazing and the amount of community support for it is insane. IV is also pretty good, but inferior to III.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Darksiders, Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol (lol) are on sale today.

Chardok

Post by Chardok »

adam_grif wrote:Darksiders, Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol (lol) are on sale today.

Don't lol at AP. It's actually a really good game. Certainly a bajillion times better than it gets credit for.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Chardok wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:So the Silent Hunter games are on sale today. Silent Hunter V is the latest but it got a pretty bad score rating whereas Silent Hunter III garnered a 90% on metacritic. I've never played any of the Silent Hunter games. Is Silent Hunter V worth getting or should I opt for the older but "better" Silent Hunter III?

Get III. it's seriously amazing and the amount of community support for it is insane. IV is also pretty good, but inferior to III.
Thanks for the recommendation. :)