Korean 27" IPS !AG Displays

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Korean 27" IPS !AG Displays

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Anyone checked any of these out yet? I see a lot of people on various tech forums jumping on them for the price and size.

The top Ebay models seem to be:

Yamakasi Catleap (Overclocks up to about 90 hz)
Achieva Shimian (Tempered glass)
CrossOver 27Q (Best overall build)

Sorely tempted because of the cheap (~$380-440 USD shipped vs $800-$900 for the Dell U2711), though a little hesitant about the lack of warranty and recourse. But the panels in all of these are great, supposedly sourced from the same supplier who gives Apple the 27" iMac screens.

OCN thread
HWZ.sg thread
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Korean 27" IPS !AG Displays

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No warranty and the same supplier as Apple makes me wonder if you'll be getting refurbished versions of stuff Apple rejected as defective or similar underhanded dealings. If a electronics product is good quality very little reason exists not offer at least a one year warranty. The manufacturers damn well know what the defect rates are on the products they make and can price accordingly to ensure they'll never loose money on warranty claims. Unless they screw up big time anyway by say, buying 500,000 defective capacitors.

I don't have time or interest to read those threads, but if nobody is getting a bad one out of the box and its been a couple months, its probably okay. Most problems appear on the first start or very quickly afterwards. Personally though I won't buy anything electronic of any significant cost without a warranty or at least a 30 day exchange policy for stuff like cables that aren't likely to break if they work the first time. I suppose though if the price is literally half what one with a warranty would be, if you bought one and it broke, buying a second one wouldn't exactly put you behind.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956