Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Post by Zor »

This game is pretty cool, you should check it out.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Post by Imperial528 »

I enjoyed the campaign.

But the game is simply not finished. Oh, it works, it runs well. But there's no real depth to playing it, and the AI is shit. Played a skirmish with a friend the other day, and the enemy carriers didn't even bother to run away from our forces, or even fight back.

Blackbird interactive has said they're working on a patch for the AI, but that's not even half if it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

You know what's pretty cool? Posts with actual content, commenting on the subject, personal experiences if applicable. You should check that out.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

From what this thread has told me so far this seems to be one of those games that we'd be better off waiting a couple years until it's patched out and on sale.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I'm guessing from the picture it's Homeworld except with landships instead of spaceships? I don't know, I guess a traditional ground-based RTS set in the Homeworld universe could work, just seems too conventional given the glut of traditional RTS games there are compared to actual space fleet battle games.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

From what I can recall, this was originally a game set in it's own universe, but then Gearbox (or whoever it was) acquired the rights to Homeworld and adapted it into a prequel.

hopefully this does well enough, along with the Homeworld Remastered edition to persuade them to make a genuine Homeworld 3.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Amusingly the thing was I was getting quite keen for the original universe they were building, the mystery over all those starships lost in the sands...

It just takes something away to stick it here I feel, though a friend who bought it seems to enjoy it
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

It's pretty good if you're going into it for the campaign. It's a little short but the story was decent and I welcome the additional backstory and lore regarding the state of Kharak before it's destruction.

MP is utterly worthless unless you're playing against other players as the AI does nothing except spam a few waves at you early on in the game before proceeding to pretty much do nothing. It might make a few higher tier units but they just sit around the carrier doing nothing along with it.

I'm always a fan of the small details in games and this had a few I really enjoyed, chiefly the radio chatter between units was really well done I thought. Actually made me feel like I was in command of an operational military force but that's just me.