About that recent destruction of the Bradley ...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

About that recent destruction of the Bradley ...

Post by Vympel »

That pushed the dead count over 500 (vehicle hit by an explosive, flipped, set on fire, 3 soldiers killed). Strangely enough, the destroyed vehicle was actually a dead M6 Bradley Linebacker air defense vehicle (Stinger box in place of TOW).

What the hell are Linebackers doing in Iraq? Last I checked, the Iraqi guerillas didn't have helicopters.

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Re: About that recent destruction of the Bradley ...

Post by Darth Raptor »

Vympel wrote:What the hell are Linebackers doing in Iraq? Last I checked, the Iraqi guerillas didn't have helicopters.
Wouldn't they be attached to infantry and armored units wherever they go? Could they be replacing the stingers with extra chaingun rounds?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Vympel wrote:That pushed the dead count over 500 (vehicle hit by an explosive, flipped, set on fire, 3 soldiers killed). Strangely enough, the destroyed vehicle was actually a dead M6 Bradley Linebacker air defense vehicle (Stinger box in place of TOW).

What the hell are Linebackers doing in Iraq? Last I checked, the Iraqi guerillas didn't have helicopters.

*snip image*

The only reason i can think for them having them out there is quite simply...

"just in case"

:?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The M6 is still an armored box that could be used against enemies.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

True, but there are a mere 99 Linebackers in service in the entire US military. Make that 98. It seems like a complete misallocation of resources given the Linebackers equipment and rarity. It's not like there aren't enough regular M2/M3s (~6,000).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Aren't they also a last second defense against cruise missiles? If something got past a patriot? Linebackers would be favored over Avengers because of their armor and anti-infantry capabilities.
Thinkmarble
Jedi Knight

Post by Thinkmarble »

Lazy Raptor wrote:Aren't they also a last second defense against cruise missiles? If something got past a patriot? Linebackers would be favored over Avengers because of their armor and anti-infantry capabilities.
I would be quite surprised and frightened if Iraqi resistence has access to cruise missles.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Thinkmarble wrote:I would be quite surprised and frightened if Iraqi resistence has access to cruise missles.
Iraq has some damned unpredictable neighbors. Any kind of ADA in Iraq is basically a precaution anyway.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Vympel wrote:What the hell are Linebackers doing in Iraq? Last I checked, the Iraqi guerillas didn't have helicopters.
They are habitually task-organized to the heavy units (1st AD, 4 ID, etc.). In SOSO operations, they are used as IFVs, for they still have everything a BFV has with the exception of TOW.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I seriouly doubt they could be used against a cruise missile. Way too many thing would have to go just right.

If they are in then inventory and are useful for something other than primary mission, I say use them. Im not terribly worried about the rarity of them. The US is unlikely to ever need anti-air at that level any time soon.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I seriouly doubt they could be used against a cruise missile. Way too many thing would have to go just right.

If they are in then inventory and are useful for something other than primary mission, I say use them. Im not terribly worried about the rarity of them. The US is unlikely to ever need anti-air at that level any time soon.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:I seriouly doubt they could be used against a cruise missile. Way too many thing would have to go just right.
Both the Avenger and the Linebacker can intercept low-altitude cruise missiles.