Saddam's Ouster Planned as Early as January 2001

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Saddam's Ouster Planned as Early as January 2001

Post by Iceberg »

According to former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, George W. Bush's administration was planning to oust Saddam Hussein within days of his inauguration.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Saddam's Ouster Planned as Early as January 2001

Post by MKSheppard »

Iceberg wrote:According to former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, George W. Bush's administration was planning to oust Saddam Hussein within days of his inauguration.
....why did you waste our time by posting this?

HELLLOOOOO CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Um, duh. Did you for some reason think otherwise?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Be quiet Sheppard! What goes on in VRWC meetings stays there!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

One more nail in the coffin of the BS claims that Bush attacked Iraq to distract everyone from the "failing war on terror". Though this really is old news anyway.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I've never heard that.

Of course, it is also a nail in the coffin of teh BS claims that Bush attacked Iraq as part of the war on terror.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Howedar wrote:I've never heard that.

Of course, it is also a nail in the coffin of teh BS claims that Bush attacked Iraq as part of the war on terror.
It is possible, of course, that Bush implemented his attack on Iraq as part of the War on Terror, even though he was planning it shortly after he took office.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Iceberg wrote:According to former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, George W. Bush's administration was planning to oust Saddam Hussein within days of his inauguration.
Jeez really? He only talked about it in his campaign!!! I mean how dare he follow through on it! :roll:

Howedar wrote:I've never heard that.

Actually, it depends on why he was thinking of attacking them.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Frankly, I do not see why this would surprise anyone in the slightest. Almost all powerful western militaries create plans for dealing with hot-spots around the world with a military solution. I'm sure if you dug hard enough you could find German or Spanish plans to invade North Korea. Even SWITZERLAND has military plans designed for use in case one of its neighbors suddenly goes crazy and begins military attacks on it. The existence of such planning is not really a secret, and not really surprising.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Stormbringer wrote:Jeez really? He only talked about it in his campaign!!! I mean how dare he follow through on it!
He also said that our troops shouldn't be used as nation builders in his campaign.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Durandal wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Jeez really? He only talked about it in his campaign!!! I mean how dare he follow through on it!
He also said that our troops shouldn't be used as nation builders in his campaign.
And that has what to do with the issue? Oh wait, nothing.

The fact of the matter is there isn't anything mysterious or nefarious about the plans. Bush made it a point in his campaign and even stepped up enforcement actions against the Hussien regime well before September 11th. If that comes as a suprise, take off the tinfoil hat and turn on CNN instead. It was point in his campaign for fuck's sake.
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

Well, can't argue with that. After all, it's been the policy of the United States to end the Hussein regime since 1998.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/iraq ... 103198.pdf

Rev Prez
P. H. Cannady, Class of 2002
Plasma Science Fusion Center
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm actually rather in interested in hearing about this Swiss military plans. After all, the Swiss are part French, part German, right? Will one half of the army attack Belgium while the other half surrenders?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

HemlockGrey wrote:I'm actually rather in interested in hearing about this Swiss military plans. After all, the Swiss are part French, part German, right? Will one half of the army attack Belgium while the other half surrenders?
Huh? What's this about?

Rev Prez
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

revprez wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:I'm actually rather in interested in hearing about this Swiss military plans. After all, the Swiss are part French, part German, right? Will one half of the army attack Belgium while the other half surrenders?
Huh? What's this about?

Rev Prez
And the joke goes over his head. :lol:
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

Stormbringer wrote:And the joke goes over his head. :lol:
Care to explain?

Rev Prez
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

revprez wrote:
Care to explain?
Why bother, it's so freaking obvious that if you don't get it my explanation won't make it any clearer.
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

Stormbringer wrote:
revprez wrote:
Care to explain?
Why bother, it's so freaking obvious that if you don't get it my explanation won't make it any clearer.
I get the joke, I'm just sure how it dovetails into the conversation, that's all.

Rev Prez
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't get the joke either. I mean, I get the point of the French surrendering while the Germans attack Belgium, but where did the Swiss come into this in the first place?
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

Rogue 9 wrote:I don't get the joke either. I mean, I get the point of the French surrendering while the Germans attack Belgium, but where did the Swiss come into this in the first place?
Well the Swiss are part French and German. But what that has to do with the thread...that's what I'm getting at.

Rev Prez
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
revprez
BANNED

Post by revprez »

revprez wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:I don't get the joke either. I mean, I get the point of the French surrendering while the Germans attack Belgium, but where did the Swiss come into this in the first place?
Well the Swiss are part French and German. But what that has to do with the thread...that's what I'm getting at.

Rev Prez
The joke is still funny. ;)

Rev Prez
167 Albany St
Cambridge, MA 02139
revprez@mit.edu
Invader ZIm
Padawan Learner

Post by Invader ZIm »

Point of Fact: It has been the offical policy of the United States Goverment to support and plan for regime change in Iraq since October 31, 1998. Congress voted on and passed the Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338), which was sponsored by Rep. Benjamin Gilman (R- NY) as H.R. 4655 and signed into law by then President Bill Clinton.

If you are interested in the facts Iceberg and not the current DNC/DU talking points you can read the text of the bill at the link below.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c ... 05IWz6UZ::

I think you will be very interested in the Section 2. Findings. 10, 11 and 12 in particular.

Fact is that when Clinton signed this it became the offical policy of the US and the planning for the current conflict with Iraq really began then.