Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by Solauren »

There is also a difference between supporting it if it was a protest, vs what actually happened.

If the trump supporters had surrounded the building early in the day, and not entered it, but prevented anyone from going in, that would have actually been legal, and not an act of insurrection.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Um.... I'm not entirely sure that preventing people who are members of Congress would be legal, but it would not approach the level of crime that the actual event did.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: 2021-01-13 11:22am
The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-13 10:49am That was a lot of posts about food...

I can't find the source right now, but I think I read that a poll stated that about 50% of the republicans were sympathetic to the storming? WTF? Please tell me this isn't true. This could explain why so many senators still don't want trump impeached: They're afraid of losing voters?
Really more like 45%, and 43% opposed it.

I think I've, technically, told you it wasn't true. Just don't go reading between the lines and realize that, of those willing to take a position, more Republicans supported it than opposed it ...
Holy, fucking shit!
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep. We have a problem here.

Some of us have known that for years.

Looks like at this point the House is winding up the debate.

ETA: yep, the vote-counters are going up on media sites in anticipation of voting soon.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Robert Reich really isn''t pleased with the GOP now.

Several republican representatives now refuse to pass metal detectors set up to protect them and throws tantrums at the very same police that saved their asses last week! :banghead:
Robert Reich wrote: The audacity of Republican lawmakers never ceases to amaze me. After numerous House Democrats raised security concerns about some of their extremist right-wing colleagues following last week’s violent insurrection, Nancy Pelosi ordered metal detectors placed before entrances to the House floor. Last night, Republican representatives including Louie Gohmert and Lauren Boebert threw temper tantrums about having to pass through them. Republicans either refused to pass through the metal detectors, or set them off and refused to be searched after — all the while arguing with the very police officers who protected them from the mob. Jim Jordan of Ohio even claimed that the metal detectors infringed on his constitutional rights.

Give me a break. Countless children have to go through metal detectors at school because Republicans refuse to do anything to combat gun violence, but now metal detectors are infringing on Republicans’ constitutional rights? They will never miss an opportunity to whip up some performative outrage. Lawmakers were minutes away from being kidnapped or executed last week, and the more details that come out the more terrifying the attack becomes. People are traumatized and understandably worried about the possibility of more violence, and Republicans are choosing to berate the police officers that just risked their lives to protect them. There is no bottom for the Republican Party.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... t-n1254011

Edit: Mr. Reich wrote this on his facebook wall.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Debate has ended.
Voice vote.
Call for roll call vote.
Voting commences

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 03:53pm Debate has ended.
Voice vote.
Call for roll call vote.
Voting commences
Crosses fingers, but have no hope...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

If he is not impeached, it will tell Trump and future despot wannabes that they can do whatever they want without repercussions.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So far it's a lot closer than I like. 8 Republicans have voted "yes" so it's not completely partisan, but it's nerve-wracking.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

9 Republicans voted yes.... currently 207 to 186....

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:17pm So far it's a lot closer than I like. 8 Republicans have voted "yes" so it's not completely partisan, but it's nerve-wracking.
Party shouldn't have anything to do with it anymore. This is democracy vs. fascism!
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:20pm 9 Republicans voted yes.... currently 207 to 186....
How many is needed?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

10 votes left to count

If we just need a simple majority it's won, but I think there might be a period where they can change their vote. Admittedly, I'm not up on the procedure nuances of the House.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:26pm 10 votes left to count

If we just need a simple majority it's won, but I think there might be a period where they can change their vote. Admittedly, I'm not up on the procedure nuances of the House.
Ah, I thought you needed 2/3 or something like that.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-13 04:28pm

2/3 for a conviction in the Senate.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Hang on... Does this mean that 186 representatives are OK with Trump behaving like he does??? What the actual fuck? What is WRONG with these people?
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-01-13 04:29pm

Ah, so this is just to figure out IF they are going to vote for impeachment? There are so many fucking cowards and fascists among the GOP now that I don't think they'll get 2/3... It is sooo needed, though. Preventing Trump from ever holding office again, not giving him pension and the protection of Secret Service.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It is now official: 232 Yes, 197 No

Trump is impeached. Again.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-13 04:35pm

Ah, so this is just to figure out IF they are going to vote for impeachment? There are so many fucking cowards and fascists among the GOP now that I don't think they'll get 2/3... It is sooo needed, though. Preventing Trump from ever holding office again, not giving him pension and the protection of Secret Service.
You misunderstand.

(Which is understandable - this isn't something most of us pay attention to).

Trump is, now, really impeached for the second time. This now goes to the Senate for trial.

Think of it this way: impeachment by the House is an accusation and bringing of charges. What the Senate does is act as judge and jury. It requires a 2/3 vote for the Senate to convict, after which only a simple majority vote is required for determining punishment items.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:38pm It is now official: 232 Yes, 197 No

Trump is impeached. Again.
Great news!
He became president so that he would be the most known man in the world. Apparently, he doesn't mind being infamous instead of famous.

I also read that a great number of former business connections are now retiring their connections with the trump brand, as they consider it a toxic one.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:40pm
The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-13 04:35pm

You misunderstand.

(Which is understandable - this isn't something most of us pay attention to).

Trump is, now, really impeached for the second time. This now goes to the Senate for trial.

Think of it this way: impeachment by the House is an accusation and bringing of charges. What the Senate does is act as judge and jury. It requires a 2/3 vote for the Senate to convict, after which only a simple majority vote is required for determining punishment items.
Thanks for the clarification, Broomstick. :)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You are welcome.

I feel sorry for whomever has to mop up after Trump's head explodes over this.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-13 04:46pm You are welcome.

I feel sorry for whomever has to mop up after Trump's head explodes over this.
I feel sorry for Biden, who will have to undo so much of what this fucker has done while 25% of the population are so crazy they supported this domestic terrorist attack.

Heh... It's already on the front pages of most Norwegian newspapers that Trump will be impeached again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hopefully, the Senate will actually move things forward and remove Trump from office this time. Even if the Republicans hold out so he's removed from office 10 minutes early.

If only for the look on Trumps face.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-13 04:54pm Hopefully, the Senate will actually move things forward and remove Trump from office this time. Even if the Republicans hold out so he's removed from office 10 minutes early.

If only for the look on Trumps face.....
This is an old one, but a good one. Thinking about how many of those faces are no longer in the administration...
Too many right wing nutters in the US for anything to happen, I'm afraid...