Texas may execute another potentially innocent man

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Texas may execute another potentially innocent man

Post by Darth Yan »

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/all-ey ... -execution

3 months ago Texas executed Larry Swearingen despite compelling proof that he may well have been innocent. Now Rodney Reed's the guy who may well be innocent but very likely will get executed, with a date scheduled for November 20th. What's shocking is that both Democrats AND Republicans have called on Governor Abbott to spare Reed's life or at the very least do testing that could prove his innocence (The defense wants to test the belt allegedly used to murder the victim). Both Bernie Sanders AND Ted Cruz have called on Abbott to do so, which goes to show just how messed up the case is in that it got them to agree on something.

And it IS messed up. The only physical evidence placing Reed there was semen in the victim's vagina. Thing is at least several coworkers AND a relative of the victim have corroborated Reed's story that he was having an affair with her, the state experts all admitted that their testimony that the semen had to have been left within a day or so was bullshit and the victim's fiance was not only BARELY investigated but was also caught a decade later VICIOUSLY raping a female prisoner WHILE IN HIS POLICE UNIFORM AND ON DUTY (he ended up serving ten years in jail). So now a LOT of people think the fiance is the one who actually murdered her, probably because he didn't like that his fiance was sleeping with a black man. Fun fact. His friend's fingerprints were on the beer cans left at the site where the victim's body was found.

Note: Reed MAY be guilty of other rapes but in this case it's disturbingly likely that he's innocent.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: Texas may execute another potentially innocent man

Post by Highlord Laan »

The texas (lower case intentional) legal system spare the life of a black man?

Yeah, right.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Another thing that hasn't been touched on. The state's medical examiner not only said in his autopsy notes that there was no vaginal and anal tearing (which undermines the idea of rape) AND that there was no anal semen....he ALSO said the opposite under oath AND was proven to have given false testimony in at least two cases where someone was exonerated.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-11-11 10:12pm Another thing that hasn't been touched on. The state's medical examiner not only said in his autopsy notes that there was no vaginal and anal tearing (which undermines the idea of rape) AND that there was no anal semen....he ALSO said the opposite under oath AND was proven to have given false testimony in at least two cases where someone was exonerated.
HOW IN GOD'S NAME IS HE NOT IN PRISON FOR PERJURY?

Oh, right. Texas.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-11-11 11:43pmHOW IN GOD'S NAME IS HE NOT IN PRISON FOR PERJURY?
Oh, right. Texas.
As much as I like bagging on Texas, as I have to live here, this isn't a problem endemic to only Conservative shitholes. It's literally everywhere. As long as you don't "rock the boat" (like actually say "I WON'T lie to throw this person in prison/give them the death penalty"), you can get away with a whole bunch of shit because it's the prosecutors discretion to charge you. And they are not big on burning "their own" (basically anyone who can help them pad their conviction numbers) unless social/media pressure pushes them to give up a sacrificial lamb.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/us/r ... ution.html

Texas blinked. For now Reed's been spared