Former personal lawyer to Donald Trump Michael Cohen pleads guilty.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Former personal lawyer to Donald Trump Michael Cohen pleads guilty.

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-28 02:08pmI do know that effectively telling voters "nothing you do will really matter" is not going to help Democratic get out the vote efforts, though. Focus on getting as many seats as we can for now. If we don't have enough to block Trump after the votes are counted, then we'll deal with that then.
On the other hand, we also don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then lose anyway; that will entrench voter apathy even further with every election cycle where it happens. It's a difficult balance to strike, but it's got to be done.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Zaune wrote: 2018-08-28 04:23pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-28 02:08pmI do know that effectively telling voters "nothing you do will really matter" is not going to help Democratic get out the vote efforts, though. Focus on getting as many seats as we can for now. If we don't have enough to block Trump after the votes are counted, then we'll deal with that then.
On the other hand, we also don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then lose anyway; that will entrench voter apathy even further with every election cycle where it happens. It's a difficult balance to strike, but it's got to be done.
You're not wrong, but at the risk of sounding alarmist, I am genuinely not sure, if we lose this election , whether there will ever be another. I don't want to see where we'll be in two years, with a demoralized Democratic Party and a stronger, vindicated Trump in complete control of all three branches of the Federal government (he'll also almost certainly follow up an election win by trying to end the Mueller probe).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

All the more reason to manage expectations and prepare for every outcome. Forgive me if this metaphor comes off as cynical or nihilistic, but hope can act a lot like an opiate for someone with chronic pain: If you have just the right amount, you can have a normal and productive life and maybe go through short periods of withdrawal without too many long-term problems. But if you have too much, it starts to impair your judgement... and suddenly getting cut off from it will cause you to crash very hard very quickly. (And if you survive detox, you never want to go anywhere near the stuff again.)

And good grief, the stuff we can talk about in these threads and not be all that far off-topic...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-08-27 11:18pmRight now with McCain's death, the Republicans in the Senate no longer have a Quorum. Without Quorum, they can't do business, like shoving that recommendation to SCOTUS
Uhm, what?
McCain hasn't been in Washington for months, and for the purposes of a quorum call being in Arizona is the same as being dead. Furthermore, there are still 50 republican senators, and Pence to break any ties. It does mean that the republicans can't have any defections in votes to pass stuff (right now it is 50 to 47+2 in the senate), but we've been here (or something like here) before.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-28 01:08pm How long will the replacement take? At this point, the Republicans need to push Kavanaugh through fast if they want to do it before a potential blue wave. At this point, its not about blocking Kavanaugh. Its about stalling for a few months, and praying for a good Midterm.
I was looking at this yesterday, and it appears the Governor is waiting to make his announcement until after the funeral. I don't see any reason the replacement can't be sitting shortly, after the normal swearing in formalities.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well if true, that worsens the odds, though there are still other delaying tactics that can be employed.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.