Bill Paxton dead at 61

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Bill Paxton dead at 61

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/26/entertain ... xton-dead/

(CNN)Actor Bill Paxton, whose extensive career included films such as "Twister," "Aliens" and "Titanic," has died, a representative for his family said in a statement. He was 61.
"It is with heavy hearts we share the news that Bill Paxton has passed away due to complications from surgery," the statement said.
"Bill began his career in Hollywood working on films in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker. ... We ask to please respect the family's wish for privacy as they mourn the loss of their adored husband and father."

Moments after news of Paxton's death broke, social media lit up with tributes to the versatile actor.

Actor Rob Lowe called Paxton a dear friend and "Renaissance man."
"Devastated by the sudden loss of my close friend and one of the finest actors in the business, Bill Paxton," Lowe tweeted.

In addition to more than 90 acting credits, Paxton was also a director on films such as "The Greatest Game Ever Played," and "Frailty."
Screenwriter Brian Lynch said Paxton was a talented director.

"RIP Bill Paxton. great in everything, was the highlight of every movie he was in," Lynch tweeted. "Underrated director too."

Paxton's death came in the middle of his first season as Detective Frank Rourke in his last TV series, "Training Day."
But the entire season's episodes were already completed in December, CBS said Sunday.
It was not immediately clear what will happen to the series.

"We are shocked and deeply saddened this morning by the news of Bill Paxton's passing," CBS and Warner Bros. Television said in a joint statement. "All of us here offer our deepest sympathy to his wife, Louise, and his two children."

Paxton was born in Fort Worth, Texas, in 1955. He accidentally entered the national spotlight at age 8, when he went to see President John F. Kennedy visit Dallas on November 22, 1963.
A photo of Paxton hoisted above the crowd became a famous photo from the day of Kennedy's assassination.

Texas Supreme Court Judge Don Willett shared the photo and called Paxton a "good guy, great actor and proud Texan."
Growing up, Paxton became "a huge fan of Clint Eastwood's," he told CNN in 2005.

"I've never really gotten to know Clint. I've met him a couple of times, but he has no idea what a mentor he's been to me."

Paxton's career took off in the 1980s, with roles in "The Terminator," "Aliens" and "Near Dark."
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who famously starred in "The Terminator," said his costar's best role wasn't actually on camera.
"Bill Paxton could play any role, but he was best at being Bill -- a great human being with a huge heart," Schwarzenegger tweeted.

In the '90s, Paxton played a police chief in "One False Move," an astronaut in "Apollo 13" and a storm chaser in "Twister."
Helen Hunt, who co-starred with Paxton in "Twister," said Paxton "acted his heart out."

But Paxton said he always wanted to make films, not just act in them.
"I've kind of modeled myself as a filmmaker/actor," he told CNN after directing "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in 2005.
"That was always my dream, to make films."

CNN's Sandra Gonzalez and Steve Forrest contributed to this report.
Game over man, game over. :(
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bill Paxton dead at 61

Post by FaxModem1 »

Dang, he was a fun actor who always brought a lot to whatever role he played.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I remember him most recently from Agents of SHIELD.

61 is too young by far.

Rest in Peace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Storm Chasers Unite to Give Bill Paxton an Epic Tribute
Storm chasers combined forces this afternoon to pay tribute to a man who put them on the map by literally putting his initials on their maps. Hundreds of professionals and enthusiasts are checking in to form the letters “BP” with their GPS coordinates.

Paxton reportedly died on Saturday due complications following heart surgery. He was just 61-years-old.

Like Paxton’s character in the 1996 blockbuster Twister, storm chasers grabbed their gear and hit the road to mark the coordinates that would draw out an epic tribute to the prolific actor.

Coordinating through Facebook groups, the mourners placed their Spotter Network markers in apps like RadarScope Pro.

It was a small thank you to the actor who considerably raised the national profile of storm chasers when he played one in Twister. While Paxton had spent years playing supporting characters in films like Apollo 13, Near Dark and Aliens, it was Twister that made him a household name.

Just before his death, Paxton was set to reprise his role as Master Sergeant Farell in an upcoming sequel to Edge of Tomorrow. The director of that film, Doug Liman, spoke to the New York Daily News today. He said Paxton was in great spirits recently, “Even facing major surgery, his optimism for the future was infectious.”

Unfortunately, Paxton won’t be coming back. But the audience has his previous roles, the storm chasers have his inspiration and those who knew him remember him fondly. “Bill Paxton could play any role, but he was best at being Bill - a great human being with a huge heart. My thoughts are with his family,” Arnold Schwarzenegger tweeted.

You can see how the mapping tribute is shaping up below:
More images in the link. That's...pretty impressive as a tribute.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I wonder what was the cause of death (well possibly indirect cause) as the news story in the OP stated it was due complications from surgery, so I wonder whst Bill Paxton was in surgery for since as people have said 61 is too young to die these days and he didn't come off to me as someone who'd use plastic surgery (granted I never met the man personally I only of his public reputation), so there was some medical issues we weren't aware of.

Either way it's a damn shame to see such a good actor go away too soon.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Complications following heart surgery, according to that Storm Chaser article.

It's a very sad loss. :( RIP