2016 US ELECTION: Official Results Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Re: 2016 US ELECTION: Official Results Thread

Post by Dragon Angel »

Simon_Jester wrote:To be fair, the Bundy militias never kidnapped and tortured anybody that I know of. They just pulled an armed version of Occupy Federal Government that got farther because, well, not dirty commieliberals.

For the kidnapping/torturing angle, you'd have to find another right-wing group for that.

Were I a betting man, I'd bet on you being able to do that.
I'll up you one: A right-wing extremist is sentenced for attempting a plot to set off a dirty bomb.
Denver Post wrote: ALBANY, N.Y. — A 52-year-old industrial mechanic who was the first person in the U.S. convicted of trying to produce a weapon of mass destruction under a 2004 law intended to stop terrorists from using radiation-dispersing “dirty bombs” was sentenced Monday to 30 years in prison followed by a lifetime of supervised release.

Glendon Scott Crawford, of Galway in upstate New York, planned to kill Muslims because of their religion as well as other people whose political and social beliefs he disagreed with, U.S. Attorney Richard Hartunian said.

“This is a classic case of domestic terrorism,” Hartunian said after Crawford’s sentencing by U.S. District Judge Gary L. Sharpe.

Investigators began tracking Crawford in 2012 after he approached two local Jewish groups with his idea for how they could defeat their enemies using a mobile X-ray weapon. Prosecutors said Crawford also sought support for the device in 2013 from a Ku Klux Klan grand wizard in North Carolina who was an FBI informant.

Co-defendant Eric Feight, of Hudson, pleaded guilty in 2014 to providing material support to terrorists. He admitted building a remote control for the X-ray device. Feight, a control systems engineer, was sentenced to eight years in prison a year ago.

Crawford, who worked with Feight at General Electric in Schenectady, was convicted in August by a jury that rejected his lawyer’s argument that he was entrapped by the FBI.

Given an opportunity in court Monday to argue for a more lenient sentence, Crawford delivered a complicated statement about physics, his interpretation of legal statutes and criticism of his defense lawyer. He insisted he never intended personally to use the device he was making, but only to provide “technical assistance” for others to use it.

“I feared for my nation’s and my children’s nation’s future,” Crawford said, launching into a criticism of U.S. immigration policy regarding Muslims before the judge cut him off.

“This conduct is bizarre,” Sharpe said. “You are bizarre.”
If this isn't terrorism then I'll have no idea what is terrorism anymore.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Funny how this is the first I can recall hearing of it.

If it was a Muslim, instead of a man planning to murder Muslims, I wonder how much press it would have gotten, particularly during the Bush years immediately after 911.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Dragon Angel wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:To be fair, the Bundy militias never kidnapped and tortured anybody that I know of. They just pulled an armed version of Occupy Federal Government that got farther because, well, not dirty commieliberals.

For the kidnapping/torturing angle, you'd have to find another right-wing group for that.

I'll up you one: A right-wing extremist is sentenced for attempting a plot to set off a dirty bomb.
Figured you could do it.

[nods, wins bet with himself]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Dragon Angel wrote:A vast group of social media partisans (cough, white supremacists) have (or had, maybe it's lost its steam) started a massive trending hashtag attributing the kidnapping entirely to BLM. These people really waste no time don't they.
Patroklos wrote:I gave this 24 hours before believing it because even with the explosion of violence and invective from the left the past few years this is pretty out there.

So, for all the regulars talking about right crazies starting Civil War 2.0 and brown-shirt alt right analoges decending upon America, I offer this as the time to bring that up...
Ah, yes, history is much easier to twist if you can conveniently erase basic facts. The obvious ones being the Bundy militias.
To be fair, the Bundy militias never kidnapped and tortured anybody that I know of. They just pulled an armed version of Occupy Federal Government that got farther because, well, not dirty commieliberals.

Is the US government from 2001-(at least)2009 a "rightwing group"? Because people were kidnapped and tortured from all over the world if they were brown and Muslim enough.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I was referencing non-state groups, because we're talking about terrorists and not about tyrants.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:I was referencing non-state groups, because we're talking about terrorists and not about tyrants.
There's a difference? I mean was Ghaddaffi a terrorist? He only ordered the terrorist bombing of a 747. Does having control of a government somehow make one more legitimate? I mean if Osama Bin Laden had been king of Afghanistan would 9/11 be less of a terrorist attack?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Flagg wrote:I mean if Osama Bin Laden had been king of Afghanistan would 9/11 be less of a terrorist attack?
No, because that would have been a regime. Not a real country like the US.

Seriously though (even though that is pretty much the exact logic that would be used), if we go down that road we'd end up defining terrorism so broadly that it waters down the meaning. By that reasoning the Nazis and Japanese were terrorists. Which they were, literally, but it sounds dumb and ahistorical to say so.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

To be fair though, the word "terrorism" had already lost its meaning when we began to use it to refer to all approximately 75% of crimes conducted by Muslims. ;)

That genie has long since been uncorked from the bottle.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Flagg wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I was referencing non-state groups, because we're talking about terrorists and not about tyrants.
There's a difference? I mean was Ghaddaffi a terrorist? He only ordered the terrorist bombing of a 747. Does having control of a government somehow make one more legitimate? I mean if Osama Bin Laden had been king of Afghanistan would 9/11 be less of a terrorist attack?
No, at that point it is a war crime. Terrorists are non-state actors who target civilian populations with the goal of influencing the policies of a state.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:There's a difference? I mean was Ghaddaffi a terrorist? He only ordered the terrorist bombing of a 747. Does having control of a government somehow make one more legitimate?
No, it doesn't make it legitimate, it changes the character of the act. An act of war is different than an act of terrorism, not better. Edwin Starr pretty much nailed this one.
I mean if Osama Bin Laden had been king of Afghanistan would 9/11 be less of a terrorist attack?
It would be an act of war. And if you think that's somehow 'less bad' than terrorism, it's because living in turn-of-the-millenium America has skewed your values. War is fucking horrible.

People who deliberately commit unnecessary acts of war are not better than terrorists. Every decent person should want to find a way to avoid wars, just like every sane driver tries to avoid car accidents. Even if they fail to do so because of some other factor.

The thing is, terrorism provides a means for people who are too fucked up and crazy to get control of a state for themselves to do the horrible things that war does to people. Terrorism isn't a super-illegitimate form of war; terrorism is what happens when war attracts copycat offenders. It's the hipsters picking up on stuff that Attila the Hun or whoever was doing before it was cool.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Flagg wrote:
No, at that point it is a war crime. Terrorists are non-state actors who target civilian populations with the goal of influencing the policies of a state.
By what criteria are states excluded from being able to terrorise? I would think at least since Robespierre they've been pretty good at it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is not that states cannot create terror. A state is a very powerful thing; it is therefore frightening.

But "terrorism" is not the same as "the act of frightening people." It is a specific practice- as noted, an attempt by non-state groups (usually fringe groups) to use the state's traditional power of violence towards a political goal.

We have other words for what happens when a state does the same thing. They are old words, and they are words for profoundly horrible things. Words like "tyranny" and "police state" and "open warfare."
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It is worth noting that the term "terrorism" WAS first used (at least on any sort of meaningfully popular scale) to describe the Reign of Terror in France. And, certainly, there is a lot of debate over what exactly should constitute any rigorous modern definition of terrorism. There is a reason that the Wikipedia page on "terrorism" has ~2,300 words dedicated solely to the subject of how to define terrorism, good for about 1/3 of the articles total length (and this ignoring the separate stand-alone Wikipedia page called "Definitions of terrorism" that, at close to 10,000 words, is actually longer than the parent page for "terrorism" itself). Now, I know that length of Wikipedia pages is a pretty arbitrary thing to point to (and is by no means scientific), but I think it's a pretty good indicator of just how much ambiguity there is in the word "terrorism" and how much room there is for people to argue over what-and-which constitutes an act of terrorism.

That said, at least in modern times, most of this debate seems to actually center on the defining terrorism in terms of its MOTIVES (e.g. defining "political motives" in a systematic way), and general consensus seems to be to use the term specifically to refer to non-state actions. The US legal code currently defines it this way ("subnational groups or clandestine agents" is its precise phrasing), for instance. And it seems to me that we need SOME sort of distinction made between referring to "acts of terror by states" and "acts of terror by non-states" because, quite simply, the contexts in which these acts occur and the potential consequences thereof can be VERY different. That's something that has been proven pretty definitively throughout history, and especially post-9/11.

(Naturally, this approach has pitfalls as well, because there is a good debate to be had over how one precisely defines "state" in some instances. Does official diplomatic recognition define "state"? What about countries like, say, Somalia, where large portions of it are being run by non-recognized states, which have their own internal organization and bureaucracies? It hasn't been that uncommon in history for de facto warlords to act for all intents and purposes as a separate state from their nominal central government; how would you classify acts of terror from them? etc.)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obviously different legal codes have different definitions.

For a broader, more general definition of terrorism, though, their's a lot of room for argument, but I tend to favour something along the lines of "The use or threat of violence in pursuit of an ideological agenda." Note that this does not prohibit states from committing acts of terrorism, but it does draw a distinction (which is probably the most important one) between violence to impose an ideology and violence for other ends, i.e. profit (which keeps a lot of traditional crime from inadvertently falling under the label of terrorism) or defence of oneself or others (which would potentially be a legitimate use of force).

Of course, what constitutes an ideological motive is itself subject to debate, so it is not a perfect definition by any means.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Thats ridiculously stupid TRR. Pimps can terrorize their slaves and its all about money. Gangs can terrorize their neighborhoods and its all about money. When Escobar was terrorizing Columbia it was all about money. Now whether terrorizing rises to leveling the label terrorist or terrorism is more a deliniation of scale and context (terror as a toolbox tactic vs your overall strategy) but ideology isn't going to change that unless your ideology is terrorism.

Anybody can use terrorism in the name of any goal.Terrorism is about the means, not the ends.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Patroklos wrote:Thats ridiculously stupid TRR. Pimps can terrorize their slaves and its all about money. Gangs can terrorize their neighborhoods and its all about money. When Escobar was terrorizing Columbia it was all about money. Now whether terrorizing rises to leveling the label terrorist or terrorism is more a deliniation of scale and context (terror as a toolbox tactic vs your overall strategy) but ideology isn't going to change that unless your ideology is terrorism.

Anybody can use terrorism in the name of any goal.Terrorism is about the means, not the ends.
Your definition would categorize a lot of routine crime as terrorism, which no doubt would suite the police state fantasies of the far Right, but is otherwise a largely useless definition.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Obviously the literal meaning of 'terrorism' can be expanded to 'terrorizing' as a verb. However the standard, conventional definition as it is understood today means hostage-taking, kidnapping, violence etc. by non-state groups to achieve a political end. When common criminals do it, it's not political violence, it's just violent.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Terrorism has been redefined to non-state actions by the state itself.

Remember that the state (and more generally, social ruling class) controls not just something but language itself, taking full and direct use of the Sapir-Whorf thing. Language defines and influences a lot of things.

Terrorist can just as well be described as "freedom fighter". Hell, early XX century terrorists who attacked nobles or policeman directly, following strict rules of combat and avoiding casualties by only committing direct assassinations against state actors, sometimes wore the "terrorist" description with pride.

The problem is that it is impossible to even think outside the state-influenced language barriers which are created. Terrorist is a negative description that is used by the state against its enemies, therefore said enemies avoid naming themselves terrorists to avoid the association.

Terrorism is not a "specific" non-state practice. If targeted assassination meant to achieve political aims carried out by an organization is "terrorism", then a targeted assassination by a special service agent to instill fear and achieve political aims is just the same act. There is no reason to call it differently (no reason other than state-dominated discourse and language control).

Until language itself is free from such structured hierarchy of perjorative use reserved only for non-state actors, there cannot be a meaningful discussion on what terrorism is. The very use of the word already makes you think about the "common" (state-controlled, media-propagated) definition and therefore be unable to judge without bias.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I have been trying to find estimates of the following question, but can't (and can't do it myself because I don't want to math today :P ):

What popular vote percentage would Clinton have had to get to win? What was Trump's margin of "victory" in the popular vote?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I have been trying to find estimates of the following question, but can't (and can't do it myself because I don't want to math today :P ):

What popular vote percentage would Clinton have had to get to win? What was Trump's margin of "victory" in the popular vote?
Realistically speaking, or strictly mathematically speaking?

Because it is technically possible, though so absurdly improbable as to not even be a scenario, to win the EC and lose by a truly gargantuan landslide. If wouldn't matter if each EC victory you grabbed was because a single person in each of the states you won voted, and voted for you, and turnout in every remaining state was 100% with each vote going to your opponent.

Now, if we're talking realistically if Hillary had managed even 1% more of the popular vote than she actually managed the votes would most likely have come from states that she lost in the EC, resulting in a victory. But that's not a for sure thing, because the EC is utterly separate from national popular vote. Literally all that matters right now is WHERE the votes come from, not how many you have in total.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I meant national vote total. But I was overthinking it, the answer is just 0.76%, because that was her margin in Wisconsin, because if she won that state and the ones with less margin then that she would have had at least 270 electoral votes.

So I mathed a little (it was a pain) and got 1,041,610 which is 0.76% of total votes cast. Assuming all votes came from Trump, she would have to increase her vote total by half that, 520,805. So that's the number I'm calling Trumps margin of "victory", so he "won" the electoral college by that many votes. Get it?

That's assuming an exactly even change in all 50 states, which is what I meant, sorry if that was unclear.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Wait, I confused myself. Hillary would have had to get 500,000 more votes... and then Trump would have had to get 500,000 less, so is the margin 500,000 or 1,000,000?

I don't know how numbers works, help?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

K. A. Pital wrote:Terrorism has been redefined to non-state actions by the state itself.
My view is that this isn't actually a problem, because we already have plenty of terms that have been defined by popular culture to refer to comparable state actions.

"Tyrant" and "tyranny" are words that only apply to the state. "Police state" and "secret police," likewise. Calling the oppressive agents of the state "Gestapo" is pretty good too. "Ethnic cleansing" isn't strictly a state-only activity, but the state is involved in the vast majority of such cases and it's usually an accurate description in situations where large numbers of people are being terrorized by the state. The entire category of "fascist" is basically a term for "people who want the state to do their terrorism for them."

So to have a word that applies only to non-state practitioners of wicked violence isn't a problem.

As to early 20th century "terrorists" who fought a 'clean' fight with minimal civilian casualties... that really isn't a thing you see anymore. The word 'terrorist' has evolved so that it no longer carries a connotation that fits what such 'terrorists' did... But then, almost no one actually does what such 'terrorists' did anymore. Nowadays we don't have to worry about secretive bands of guerillas who hide from the Czar's secret police and strike only at him and his ministers. We have to worry about people who blow up pizzerias and dance clubs.
Patroklos wrote:Thats ridiculously stupid TRR. Pimps can terrorize their slaves and its all about money. Gangs can terrorize their neighborhoods and its all about money. When Escobar was terrorizing Columbia it was all about money. Now whether terrorizing rises to leveling the label terrorist or terrorism is more a deliniation of scale and context (terror as a toolbox tactic vs your overall strategy) but ideology isn't going to change that unless your ideology is terrorism.

Patroklos, the problem is that "terrorism" contains two separate parts. One is "terror" and the other is "ism."

The "terror" part implies that whatever a terrorist does, it must involve creating terror- extreme, widespread fear.

But the "ism" part is important too. It implies that "terrorism" is a political movement, or an ideology, or part of some organized group action. The pimp or gang terrorizing a localized group of people isn't part of a movement. Drug lords terrorizing whole countries might be terrorism, or might not- but that's on a much larger scale and is different in many ways other than just "this one person is causing terror."

"Causes terror" is not the same as "is a terrorist."

Just as not all communes are communist, and not all societies are socialist, and not all isolated people are isolationists, and not all merchants are mercantilist...

Not all terror-creators are terrorists.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Obviously different legal codes have different definitions.

For a broader, more general definition of terrorism, though, their's a lot of room for argument, but I tend to favour something along the lines of "The use or threat of violence in pursuit of an ideological agenda."
The problem is that this makes it terrorism to fire artillery at an invading tank column. Plus, any act of violence committed by law enforcement can be labeled as 'terrorism' by someone who argues that whatever legal system the state presently enforces is an ideological agenda.

We have plenty of dirty words for evils committed by the state, and evils committed during wartime. There is no need to broaden the definition of 'terrorism' to include the set of all evils. Especially when that results in 'terrorism' becoming so broad that it also includes many actions which are obviously not wrong.
Note that this does not prohibit states from committing acts of terrorism, but it does draw a distinction (which is probably the most important one) between violence to impose an ideology and violence for other ends, i.e. profit (which keeps a lot of traditional crime from inadvertently falling under the label of terrorism) or defence of oneself or others (which would potentially be a legitimate use of force).
Ah, but the idea of nation-states is by definition an ideology. The idea that the country of SImonia should continue to exist, rather than being divided up into provinces under the control of a foreign occupier, is ideology.

Remember, if the people of Simonia do not resist conquest, it is entirely possible that they won't be in any particular danger of being harmed! Losing political independence doesn't automatically equate to dying or losing your property. By the normal peacetime standards of "self defense," it is questionable whether fighting an invading army even qualifies, unless you already have special reason to believe that the invaders will commit atrocities or plunder your nation.

So to say that all "ideologically motivated" violence is terrorism is basically to say that any violent pursuit of national independence or self-government is terrorism.
Of course, what constitutes an ideological motive is itself subject to debate, so it is not a perfect definition by any means.
This is a bigger problem than I think you fully appreciate.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think most people would agree that defending ones' nation from aggression falls under "use of violence in self-defence", not "ideological violence". Though I'm sure some people would argue the point, because their's someone who will argue anything.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Though I'm sure some people would argue the point, because their's someone who will argue anything.
Looked in the mirror lately, Their Guy? ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker