First Hurricane to Reach Cat 5 in 9 years brewing in the carribean

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FireNexus
Cookie

First Hurricane to Reach Cat 5 in 9 years brewing in the carribean

Post by FireNexus »

Buttfucking anywhere along the East Coast can't be ruled out.

Oh, and there might end up being a hurricane hit there, too.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffM ... restrength
Hurricane Warnings for Haiti, Jamaica as Category 4 Matthew Restrengthens
By: Bob Henson , 10:55 PM GMT on October 01, 2016

Despite its unorthodox structure, Hurricane Matthew remains a formidable hurricane in the southern Caribbean Sea and an increasing threat to parts of Haiti, Jamaica, and Cuba. Matthew briefly attained Category 5 intensity late Friday, when its top sustained winds hit 160 mph--only 36 hours after Matthew was still a tropical storm. By early Saturday afternoon, Matthew’s peak winds had decreased to 140 mph, but they have since resurged to 150 mph as of the 5 pm EDT advisory from the National Hurricane Center. Matthew is now a high-end Category 4 hurricane.

As noted by Jeff Masters in our morning post, only a few hurricanes in the Atlantic have bolted from tropical storm to Cat 5 intensity in less than two days. Hurricane Wilma of 2005 and Hurricane Patricia of 2015 accomplished the feat in 24 hours; Hurricane Felix of 2007 did it in 30 hours; Hurricane Rita of 2005 and Hurricane Andrew of 1992 did it in 36 hours; and the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 did so in 42 hours.

Figure 1. Enhanced infrared satellite image of Matthew at 2115Z (5:15 pm EDT) Saturday, October 1, 2016. Image credit: NOAA/NESDIS.

Menacing yet quirky
For such a powerful hurricane, Matthew has quite an odd structure. The most unusual feature is the persistent swath of intense showers and thunderstorms (convection) well east of its center, as evident in Figure 1 above. This feature has been in place for most of Matthew’s life as a tropical cyclone, and it may have played a role (yet to be determined) in its rapid intensification. For much of Saturday afternoon, this area of convection was actually larger and stronger than the convection around Matthew itself.

Hurricane Hunters on Saturday afternoon continued to find Matthew bearing a closed, fairly small eye that was just 8 nautical miles in diameter. Eyewall replacement cycles, which are fairly common with intense hurricanes, can produce a weakening for a day or so as the inner eye decays and the outer one gradually takes over. There was some evidence on Saturday that Matthew was trying to form a secondary eyewall further from its center, but this had not yet happened by late Saturday afternoon. Outside of rain-contaminated areas, the strongest near-surface winds detected by the Hurricane Hunters using the SFMR radiometer were around 130 knots (150 mph), and peak flight-level winds were around 135 knots (155 mph).

A dire situation for Haiti
After moving mainly west-southwest for the past day, Matthew carried out a very tight cyclonic (counterclockwise) loop on Saturday afternoon--most likely a prelude to its long-expected northward turn. At 5 pm EDT, Matthew was drifting northwest at just 3 mph. Assuming Matthew’s northward motion picks up as expected on Saturday night, we should soon have a better sense of which parts of the Greater Antilles will be most at risk from Matthew. The most immediate threat is to Jamaica and Haiti, which Matthew is expected to be approaching by early Monday. It is very rare for hurricanes this strong to strike either nation from the south, an angle of approach that would maximize the storm-surge potential along south-facing coasts.

Extremely heavy rains will occur around Matthew, and in particular on its right-hand (eastern flank), where fierce southerly winds will slam into south-facing mountains and hillsides. Rainfall east of Matthew’s center could be even more widespread and heavier than with other hurricanes of this size and strength because of the massive slug of convection and moisture well east of its center, as discussed above.

Figure 2. All hurricanes that are known to have passed through the shaded circle with at least Category 3 intensity. The only major hurricanes that took a south-to-north track similar to the forecast for Matthew were Sandy (2012), which briefly attained Category 3 strength before striking eastern Cuba, and Hazel (1954), which struck southwest Haiti as a Category 3 storm. Up to 1000 Haitians died as a result of Hazel, and the nation’s economy was hobbled for years afterward. NOAA’s hurricane data base extends back to the mid-1800s. Both Hazel and Sandy were October hurricanes that went on to affect much of the U.S. East Coast. Image credit: NOAA

The 12Z Saturday runs of our best track models--the GFS, European, and UKMET models--all bring Matthew between Jamaica and Haiti, as reflected in the latest official NHC track. This path would reduce the risk for Jamaica but heighten it for Haiti, where deforestation greatly enhances the potential for devastating floods and landslides. I’m especially concerned about the mountainous Tiburon Peninsula of southwest Haiti, which is most likely to experience the strongest winds and heaviest rains. NHC warns that rainfall could total 15” to 25” in southern Haiti, with localized amounts as high as 40” possible. Given Haiti’s extreme poverty (the nation is still recovering from its catastrophic earthquake of 2010), Matthew could produce a truly devastating blow. Heavy rains of 10” - 20” will also affect parts of eastern Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. A Hurricane Warning is now in effect for all of Jamaica and for southern Haiti, with a Hurricane Watch for northern Haiti.

Figure 3. NHC track forecast for Hurricane Matthew as of 5 pm EDT Saturday, October 1, 2016.

If Matthew threads the needle between eastern Jamaica and western Haiti, it will largely avoid disruption from mountains that exceed 6000 feet in height in both areas. This would allow Matthew to retain most or all of its strength as it approaches easternmost Cuba late Monday. Most of Cuba should experience the less-intense west side of Matthew, but a Hurricane Watch is in effect from Camaguey to Guantanamo province. Matthew could make landfall very close to Guantanamo Bay, where some 700 U.S. military personnel and family members were preparing on Saturday night for evacuation to Pensacola, Florida. Although Sandy was barely a Category 3 when it struck just west of Santiago de Cuba in 2012 from the south, it was the strongest hurricane to hit eastern Cuba in half a century, destroying tens of thousands of homes and taking at least 11 lives.

Longer-term outlook for Matthew
Models have converged somewhat on Matthew’s future track in the western Atlantic, but there remains plenty of uncertainty on critical points. Chances are that Matthew will be at least partially disrupted from its trek through the Greater Antilles. However, our top intensity models agree that it will likely restrengthen once it reaches The Bahamas. Conditions will remain very supportive for Matthew over The Bahamas on Tuesday and Wednesday, with very low wind shear, record-warm sea surface temperatures, and a moist atmosphere to work with. Residents of The Bahamas would be well advised to start making preparations, as hurricane watches could be required as soon as Sunday. Right now it appears the eastern Bahamas are most at risk of being affected by Matthew’s more dangerous east side, but very heavy rains and high winds could overspread many of the islands on Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Figure 4. The 70 forecasts from the 18Z Saturday GFS model ensemble (top) and 12Z European (ECMWF) model ensemble (bottom) continued to show a wide variety of solutions for the track of Matthew. The two models have grown closer together in their solutions compared to Friday. Both models indicated that Matthew could remain a major hurricane well into the northwest Atlantic, although model skill at intensity prediction drops markedly over time. Image credit: Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN).

Big questions on Matthew’s track later next week
Models agree very closely on Matthew’s general track into the Bahamas, but they strongly suggest that Matthew could slow down or angle toward the northwest by midweek as steering currents weaken. The next step in the Matthew saga will then be determined by two main influences. One is an area of low pressure about 600 miles east of the Leeward Islands, moving slowly west-northwest. NHC gives this area only a 20% chance of developing into at least a tropical depression by Thursday. Regardless of its status, it could give Matthew a pathway to move northeast and out to sea from the Bahamas. The other influence on Matthew’s long-term future is a strong mid-latitude upper trough that will be plowing toward the eastern U.S. by later next week. Models generally agree that the upper-level trough will pick up Matthew and cart it north and northeastward, but there is crucial disagreement on how far west its track might extend. Among the 20 members of the 18Z Saturday ensemble run of the GFS and the 50 members of the 12Z Saturday European (ECMWF) ensemble, a number of members haul Matthew along the U.S. East Coast at various points, with several tracks moving well inland. A number of other GFS and ECMWF ensemble members keep Matthew just off the East Coast without any direct landfall.

Figure 5. Track forecasts from the five European model ensemble members [gray lines] that most closely match the operational run [red line] during the first 72 hours, starting at 12Z Saturday, October 1, 2016. The red line is a version of the 12Z Saturday operational model track that has been adjusted and calibrated using a proprietary technique to account for systemic model errors. Image credit: Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN).

We cannot yet rule out the possibility of Matthew moving close enough to the Florida coast to produce major impacts. Among the five members of the “high-probability” Euro ensemble from 12Z Saturday (see Figure 5), two members take Matthew sharply westward across South Florida by next weekend and up Florida’s West Coast. The 12Z Saturday UKMET model also brings Matthew to the vicinity of South Florida by Thursday. Considering that the Euro, GFS, and UKMET are our top three track models, it’s clear there is still plenty of uncertainty in how Matthew may affect the U.S. later next week.

The bottom line:

Matthew poses a dire threat to the western Greater Antilles, especially Haiti. All residents should prepare as best they can for what could be the strongest northward-moving hurricane in living memory across the region.

The Bahamas may experience prolonged impacts from Matthew next week. The official NHC forecast brings Matthew through the islands as a Category 3, and it could be stronger. The duration of Matthew’s impact, and its exact track, are increasingly uncertain beyond Tuesday.

Models continue to indicate the potential for Matthew to affect any part of the U.S. East Coast from Florida to Maine later next week into the weekend. The bulk of model solutions keep Matthew just offshore, but a significant minority bring Matthew onshore, possibly as a strong hurricane. It is too soon to know exactly how the mid-latitude steering currents will evolve, so the range of potential landfall locations remains very wide.

Jeff Masters will be back with our next update by late Sunday morning. Wunderblogger Steve Gregory posted a Saturday afternoon update on Matthew, CAT 4 HURRICANE MATTHEW: THREAT TO US CONTINUES.

Bob Henson
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Re: First Hurricane to Reach Cat 5 in 9 years brewing in the carribean

Post by FireNexus »

Matthew is hanging around as a Cat 4, expected to completely wreck Haiti's shit. Long term forecasts to the US are super uncertain. Florida is probably ok, though not out of the woods. GFS and Euro models have oscillated anywhere from totally out to see to a sideswipe of basically the whole eastern seaboard to direct hits anywhere from the carolinas to Maine.

My butthole is currently on full pucker regarding the possibility of a direct hit to where I live. Luckily it'd be weak enough by then to not be a disaster on the order of a direct hit in Florida or the Carolinas, but if a million people lose power I'll be living at the office for a month.

All the rest? Too long.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The nice thing about hurricanes on the East Coast (excluding Florida) is that for a hurricane to reach inland it has to whip its heavy winds over the land, "scraping off" energy against the Appalachians every inch of the way. It can horribly abuse the coast but it can't do so for very long without getting ground down to a nub.

The bad thing about hurricanes on the East Coast is that we really are not very good at coping with hurricanes because it doesn't happen very often and because they get ground down so quickly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Yeah, the big problem on my end is that our service area is only about 50 miles or so offshore. And the ingredients exist for a sandy-style direct hit to Philadelphia or the Delmarva peninsula (which would be just as bad from a "how bad are the power lines shredded in the Philly metro area" standpoint, just more concentrated south and west than north and east). It would probably require the storm to weaken significantly due to slow movement over colder waters, but that happened to sandy and it still wrecked us for weeks.

You just can't plan for this kind of thing when it's so rare that it happens once a decade max. And when you still have to plan for snow, and when a lot of the measures that would make you more resilient also make regular maintenance a lot harder. If this Sandys us again, for the second time in a decade, I assume that a rate case calling for expensive additional sandy-proofing would be much easier to get approved. Barring that, who knows?

All the rest? Too long.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Glad I'm up in New England, even if it makes it up here it'll be much weakened.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Still a ways out of course, but the latest models aren't looking good.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Eh. I'm comfortably inland in the Atlanta region. The most I can expect is some serious storming should it decide to make a shambles of the Georgia coast from Kings Bay to Savannah.

My grandparents, a number of other relations, and my parents on the other hand, all live in that coastal region. Yeah.

At least it should only be a Category 2, possibly 3, by the time it gets that far. Hopefully.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That one gold line "NGVI" would be fun, since it'd drive right up the side of the Appalachians all the way, and hit 90% of my relatives.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Elheru Aran wrote:Eh. I'm comfortably inland in the Atlanta region. The most I can expect is some serious storming should it decide to make a shambles of the Georgia coast from Kings Bay to Savannah.

My grandparents, a number of other relations, and my parents on the other hand, all live in that coastal region. Yeah.

At least it should only be a Category 2, possibly 3, by the time it gets that far. Hopefully.
Better hope UKXI isn't right, cause that one has it still a Category 4 when it slams into Georgia.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Eh. I'm comfortably inland in the Atlanta region. The most I can expect is some serious storming should it decide to make a shambles of the Georgia coast from Kings Bay to Savannah.

Better hope UKXI isn't right, cause that one has it still a Category 4 when it slams into Georgia.
Yeeees. That's the one I'm worried about. NGVI would also mess us up, but at least it cuts across Florida, which would hopefully cool it off enough that by the time it started making a mess of Georgia it wouldn't be too bad. By the time it gets up Lady Tevar's way it shouldn't be too awful, just pretty damn wet/stormy.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The models keep putting Matthew closer to the coast. The GFS (American) model seems to have consistently been putting it into the southeast and less consistently the midatlantic, the European model has put it offshore but is now coming around to a southeast glancing impact that then takes it offshore.

I guess we're going to see if the GFS's recent upgrades have made it the better model. Either way, I have a bad feeling about this.

All the rest? Too long.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just the fact that you can put "Category 4/5 Hurricane" and "Haiti" in the same sentence means it's going to be bad.

Is it a bad thing I look at this and think "when there are hurricanes in Florida we usually have beautiful dry weather and I can finally get my roof fixed"?

Stay safe everyone on the coast. I hope things turn out better than expected for everyone involved.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:Just the fact that you can put "Category 4/5 Hurricane" and "Haiti" in the same sentence means it's going to be bad.

Is it a bad thing I look at this and think "when there are hurricanes in Florida we usually have beautiful dry weather and I can finally get my roof fixed"?

Stay safe everyone on the coast. I hope things turn out better than expected for everyone involved.
Yes, it's a bad thing. Francis and Jeane in 2004 were not fun times for us. 2 major hurricanes in the span of a month hitting the exact same place causing power outages for weeks at a time when you need power just to pump water from your well because the city hasn't yet gotten that far with the municipal water and sewage lines meaning no bathing, no bathroom, and all of your refrigerated and frozen food going bad fucking sucks. But next times a blizzard or tornado hits Bumfuck, Flyoverstate I'll make sure to post about how awesome my weather is. Unless one of those goddamned Volcanoes goes off in WA where I currently reside. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dude, I've been in the no water and no toilet situation myself. It totally sucks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:Dude, I've been in the no water and no toilet situation myself. It totally sucks.
A lot have. And we had an above ground pool that we'd use to fill the tank and flush the toilet, it was just a pain in the ass. Literally. But no, I was being sarcastic. There's nowhere in the US or on the planet really, where you don't have some danger/inconvenience causing threat from natural disasters.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, I get you were being sarcastic. The smilely sure helps with that. :wink:

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:Yeah, I get you were being sarcastic. The smilely sure helps with that. :wink:
I know, I'm lazy with emotes on my iPad. It's a bitch hitting the right one cause they are so tiny. :(
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Flagg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Yeah, I get you were being sarcastic. The smilely sure helps with that. :wink:
I know, I'm lazy with emotes on my iPad. It's a bitch hitting the right one cause they are so tiny. :(
This old board desperately needs a mobile version...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wouldn't help me, I'm such an old fart I still have a stupidphone.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:Wouldn't help me, I'm such an old fart I still have a stupidphone.
I was forced to upgrade to a dumb-smartphone by safelink (Obama phones FTW) and it's useless for anything but making calls and texts just like the phone I had to upgrade from. Not that I'm really complaining since it's free cell service.
But I'm using my wifi-only iPad. It's not made posting too hard unless you want to copy-paste articles and hitting the right emote can take like 3 tries.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Safelink was actually pretty nice when I had that service. Didn't support much, but it texted and made calls, and my wife and I both wore out about 3 phones total (the keys on hers were almost entirely gone by the time we got new phones)...

My experience with tablets on the other hand is made of suck. My ham-hands aren't good at precision clicking.

Anyway, I'm starting to worry about my grandparents. They live on a small island in the middle of a swamp on the coast, big trees all around their house. I'm hoping one of my uncles or my parents convince them to come stay with them for the weekend or something like that.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Surprisingly light casualties in Haiti reported thus far

Supposedly as US carrier group will be dispatched to assist in aid efforts. The Swiss army knife of the sea.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I fear the "light casualties" are more due to problems with reporting casualties than actual light casualties. We won't know for sure for a couple days.

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Broomstick wrote:I fear the "light casualties" are more due to problems with reporting casualties than actual light casualties. We won't know for sure for a couple days.
Sadly I think you are right. I recall reading that there are at many in Haiti living in makeshift buildings still since the earthquake half a dozen years ago.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I abandoned the east coast for some good reasons, but now I'm back to destroy it.

If it makes you feel better (or worse), New Englanders, I personally climbed Mount Washington in 115mph winds during Hurricane Andrew when I was 13, with a 100% lack of dying. I was one of three guys out of thirty children and adults who did not get seriously injured (the blood loss including the troop leader, who split his forearm from the wrist to the elbow and handled it like a total boss - "Tourniquet lesson! Who knows how to do a tourniquet?"), but I did it. I ended up performing first aid on a lot of them. That was also the caper where I tapped my usual accomplices awake and we took the door across the hall off the hinges, because the dumb drunken fucks in that room left it unlocked and it was banging open and shut very loudly. The troop leader asked us if we did it in the morning, and we just kind of looked around and shrugged. I think my exact comment was, "We didn't not do it..."

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker