Kenny Baker Dead At 81

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Kenny Baker Dead At 81

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

http://www.windstream.net/news/read/art ... ad_at_8-ap
LONDON (AP) — Kenny Baker played the lovable droid R2-D2 in the "Star Wars" films, achieving cult status and fans' adulation without showing his face or speaking any lines.

The 3-foot 8-inch (1.1 meter) performer — a word he preferred to actor — inside the waste-bin-shaped costume has died at 81. Baker's nephew and carer, Drew Myerscough, said he found Baker dead Saturday at his home in Preston, northwest England.

Myerscough told Sky News that Baker had suffered years of breathing problems, "which he had borne very bravely." He said the affection of "Star Wars" fans around the world "kept him going, without any doubt."

"He was amazed that, even after 30-odd years, the fans still basically adored him," Myerscough said.

Baker's agent, Johnny Mans, confirmed his death. He said Baker was "one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, and a fabulous and talented performer."

Mark Hamill, the "Star Wars" series' Luke Skywalker, tweeted: "Goodbye #KennyBaker A lifelong loyal friend-I loved his optimism & determination. He WAS the droid I was looking for!" — a reference to a famous line from the first film.

Actor Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in three "Star Wars" movies, tweeted: "So sorry to hear about this. It was lovely working with Kenny."

Born to a music-loving family in the central England city of Birmingham on Aug 24, 1934, Baker started performing at 16 as part of a troupe called "Burton Lester's Midgets."

Baker told The Associated Press in 1985 that Burton had asked him "What can you do?' I said I could roller skate, ride a bike and whistle. I joined them and did all that, and conjuring tricks, played drums and comedy routines as well."

Baker later worked as a DJ and circus clown, and as half a comedy-musical duo called the Mini-Tones with Jack Purvis, who also appeared in the "Star Wars" films.

Fame came when he was cast as the actor inside R2-D2's cylindrical robot costume in 1977's "Star Wars."

"I worked the levers," he told the AP.

Baker said he initially turned down the part. In an interview on his website, he said he told director George Lucas "I don't want to be stuck in a robot, what for, for goodness sake?"

Eventually, he said he told Lucas, "I'll help you out."

Even though R2-D2's dialogue amounted only to beeps and whistles, the droid and his lanky friend C-3PO became two of the series' most beloved characters.

Baker returned for "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," and reprised the role in three prequels released between 1999 and 2005.

Despite their onscreen rapport, Baker and Anthony Daniels, who played the protocol droid C-3P0, weren't close. Baker accused Daniels of being snobbish; Daniels was once quoted by Britain's Daily Mirror as saying Baker "might as well be a bucket."

Baker also appeared in films including "The Elephant Man," ''Time Bandits," ''Willow" and "Labyrinth."

Baker's wife Eileen died in 1993. The couple had two sons.
Damn. FIrst of the major cast to die, and I wasn't expecting it.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kenny Baker Dead At 81

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sad news.

Rest in peace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

:cry:

Rest in peace.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Damn. FIrst of the major cast to die, and I wasn't expecting it.
Fourth actually, after Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness and Christopher Lee.

Bugger. :(
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Today just keeps getting worse. R.I.P.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker