German train attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

German train attack

Post by cosmicalstorm »

There has been another possible Islamist attack in Europe, this time gun control won in and the Afghan refugee attacker used an axe. He was shot dead by the police.

Germany axe attack: Assault on train in Wurzburg injures HK family

1 hour ago

From the section Europe

Police stand by regional train on which man wielding axe attacked passengers in Wuerzburg, Germany, 18 July 2016Image copyright EPA
Image caption
The attacker fled the train but was chased and shot dead by police

A teenage Afghan refugee armed with an axe and knife injured four people on a train in southern Germany before being shot dead by police, officials say.

Three people in a group from Hong Kong were seriously hurt and one slightly injured in the attack in Wurzburg. Another 14 were treated for shock.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said the attacker was killed as he tried to flee the scene.

The motive for the attack is not yet clear.

The South China Morning Post said it was believed the four injured were a 62-year-old man, his 58-year-old wife, their daughter, 27, and her boyfriend, 31. The 17-year-old son travelling with them was not hurt, it said.

A source told the paper the father and boyfriend had tried to protect the other members of the group.

'Exclamation'

Mr Herrmann said the attacker was a 17-year-old Afghan refugee who had been living in the nearby town of Ochsenfurt.

He told public broadcaster ARD that the teenager appeared to have travelled to Germany as an unaccompanied minor.

Bloodstains on the floor of the train carriage. 18 July 2016Image copyright EPA
Image caption
Bloodstains could be seen on the floor of the train carriage

Mr Herrmann said authorities were looking into reports that the attacker had yelled out "an exclamation". Some witnesses quoted by German media said they had heard him shout "Allahu akbar" ("God is great") during the attack.

'Slaughterhouse'

The incident happened at about 21:15 (19:15 GMT) on the train which runs between Treuchlingen and Wurzburg.

"Shortly after arriving at Wurzburg, a man attacked passengers with an axe and a knife," a police spokesman said.

Police said the attacker had fled the train but was chased by officers who shot him dead.

German emergency services in the area where a man with an axe attacked passengers on a train near the city of Wurzburg, Germany. July 19, 2016Image copyright Reuters
Image caption
Emergency services sealed off the area of the attack

One local man told DPA news agency that the train carriage where the attack took place "looked like a slaughterhouse".

He said he saw people crawl from the carriage and ask for a first-aid kit while other victims lay on the floor inside.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has condemned the attack. Immigration officials from the city will accompany family members to Germany.

Although the motive has not been established, the BBC's Damien McGuinness in Berlin says there is nervousness in Germany about attacks by Islamist extremists following the attacks across the border in France.

In May, a man reportedly shouting "Allahu akbar" killed a man and wounded three others in a knife attack at a railway station near the German city of Munich.

He was later sent to a psychiatric hospital and authorities said they had found no links to Islamic extremism.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36827725
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: German train attack

Post by Thanas »

Really glad he did not have a gun or that train might have been a huge trap. Also really glad our police have guns.

That being said, all signs so far point towards him being a nutcase. He had a hand-painted ISIS flag in his room, but no communication with the group.

This most likely was a very sad, very traumatized teenager who went through horrible experiences in life and snapped. I pity him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Unfortunately, there seems to a recent trend of nutcases unconnected to but in some way identifying with ISIS going out and killing people, or trying to. But yes, I'm glad the situation wasn't worse.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote:Unfortunately, there seems to a recent trend of nutcases unconnected to but in some way identifying with ISIS going out and killing people, or trying to. But yes, I'm glad the situation wasn't worse.
So, basically what Al-Qaeda had been doing for years?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I have no pity for islamists of any kind, even those that just join the ranks of jihadis because their life is fucked. Because of what they represent, like the nazis. Islamism is a dangerous set of extremely reactionary beliefs turned into a political ideology, probably just as dangerous as Nazism in our day.

Still, good the murderous moron had no guns. And actually good he got shot in the end. Will teach other wannabe young jihadis a lesson that their life will end quickly if they follow in his footsteps.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Broomstick wrote:Unfortunately, there seems to a recent trend of nutcases unconnected to but in some way identifying with ISIS going out and killing people, or trying to.
The modern miracle of stochastic terrorism.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

There was another possible Islamist stabbing today

Man 'knifes French woman and her three daughters' in Alps resort

A general view over the Rhone Glacier in the French Alps Credit: Getty

Tom Morgan Camilla Turner David Chazan, Nice Henry Samuel, Paris

19 July 2016 • 1:45pm

A French woman and her three young daughters were severely injured when they were stabbed at a holiday resort on Tuesday by a Moroccan-born man who reportedly shouted that they were too scantily dressed.

The man was arrested after the attack at the Alpine resort of Garde-Colombe, near Laragne, in southern France.

The youngest girl, aged 8, was rushed to hospital in Grenoble with a punctured lung, according to initial reports.

Her mother, 46, and sisters aged 12 and 14, are being treated at the hospital of Gap, closer to the scene of the attack. Their injuries are serious but not life-threatening, hospital sources said.

Initial reports claimed the man struck because he was angered by the women being "scantily dressed," but a local prosecutor has denied this.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

Raphaël Balland, prosecutor of Gap, said: "I wanted to quash the rumour currently doing the rounds because on no account did this man make such comments about the fact that the attack may have been motivated by the victims' dress code."

The attacker, named as Mohamed B, 37, "may have acted out of religious motives", French television channel TF1 reported.

Despite the prosecutor's denial, TF1 reported that he was angry that the girls were wearing shorts.

The mother had helped the attacker when he became ill the previous day, TF1 said.
"I prefer not to speculate about the motive of the attack"Local mayor, Edmond Francou

He stabbed the girls while they breakfasted on the terrace of their chalet and then went inside and knifed their mother.

The 8-year-old was rushed to hospital in Grenoble with a punctured lung, according to initial reports.

Her mother, 46, and sisters aged 12 and 14, are being treated at the hospital of Gap, closer to the scene of the attack. Their injuries are severe but not considered life-threatening.

The attack took place around 10 am. The assailant stabbed the three girls on the terrace of of their chalet before attacking their mother inside.

He stabbed her in the chest, the newspaper Dauphine Liberé reported.

The local mayor, Edmond Francou, said he preferred “not to speculate about the motive of the attack” in the wake of the massacre in Nice last week.

The Moroccan-born attacker has a police record for petty crimes over the past 15 years.

He is reported to have been on holiday at the resort with his pregnant wife and two children. The two families were staying next to each other and the assailant’s wife is “devastated”, according to the mayor.

The victims of the attack are from Nantes, in western France, and often holidayed at the resort.

The attacker is from the Paris area.

Shocked holidaymakers were receiving counselling at the resort.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... g-scantil/
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

K. A. Pital wrote:I have no pity for islamists of any kind, even those that just join the ranks of jihadis because their life is fucked. Because of what they represent, like the nazis. Islamism is a dangerous set of extremely reactionary beliefs turned into a political ideology, probably just as dangerous as Nazism in our day.

Still, good the murderous moron had no guns. And actually good he got shot in the end. Will teach other wannabe young jihadis a lesson that their life will end quickly if they follow in his footsteps.
You cannot deter death-cult adherents from doing death-cult things by killing them. Think about it.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Crown wrote:You cannot deter death-cult adherents from doing death-cult things by killing them. Think about it.
You can, however, permanently eliminate that particular death-cult adherent as a threat.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

You really need to eliminate them as a serious ideology. Kinda like how Nazism became neo-nazism, which is far less appealing and threatening.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

If the French women's clothing offended the Moroccan, why didn't he MOVE AWAY? I don't believe French law prevents him from doing just that. It sounds like he has severe anger management problems, and the French women's clothing made them a convenient scapegoat through which he can vent anger UNRELATED TO THE VICTIMS.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Crown wrote:You cannot deter death-cult adherents from doing death-cult things by killing them. Think about it.
You can, however, permanently eliminate that particular death-cult adherent as a threat.
I second that. You may not bring back the victims, but you will prevent the death cult adherent from creating more victims (other than the death cult adherent himself).
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Sidewinder wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
I second that. You may not bring back the victims, but you will prevent the death cult adherent from creating more victims (other than the death cult adherent himself).
I think I may have re-worded that a little allow me to rephrase; You cannot deter potential future death-cult adherents from doing death-cult things by killing current adherents.

It's not a deterrent.

Obviously though it stopped the immediate threat, I am not a moron and denying that.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Oh come on, not every fucked up teenager is going to resort to murder. And the more dangerous it is to the perpetrator, the less probability that someone would do it just because he's feeling extra bad today.

Sure, it will not deter the already-radicalized, but might deter those who think about radicalization.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

K. A. Pital wrote:Oh come on, not every fucked up teenager is going to resort to murder. And the more dangerous it is to the perpetrator, the less probability that someone would do it just because he's feeling extra bad today.

Sure, it will not deter the already-radicalized, but might deter those who think about radicalization.
You're shifting the goalposts but let me put it plainly for you; if they are DEATH-cult adherents, you cannot deter them by the guarantee that they will be killed. They honestly believe they will be rewarded for their actions in the hereafter.

Seriously, this isn't hard to comprehend.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It also isn't that hard to comprehend context......
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Or the fact that these people want to die for a cause, not just die. If they just wanted to die they'd jump off of bridges or in front of trains. They can be demoralized into inactivity and failure like anyone else.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

K. A. Pital wrote:Oh come on, not every fucked up teenager is going to resort to murder. And the more dangerous it is to the perpetrator, the less probability that someone would do it just because he's feeling extra bad today.

Meh. I dont think that works. One of the attractions is posthumous reputation and noterity. (How ever you spell that). I still think it is a very similar demographic as school shooters in usa.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Putting a blanket "death cult adherent" label on islamists is just dehumanizing them, and that is against my feelings even if I hate their beliefs. Not all of them are radicalized to the point where life means nothing.

Assalti Frontali