UKIP Leadership Race thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

jwl
Jedi Master

UKIP Leadership Race thread

Post by jwl »

Nigel Farage says he is standing down as leader of the UK Independence Party.
Mr Farage said he had "done my bit" following the UK's referendum vote to leave the EU.
He said the party was in a "pretty good place" and said he would not change his mind about quitting as he did after the 2015 general election.
Leading UKIP was "tough at times" but "all worth it" said Mr Farage, who is also an MEP. He added that the UK needed a "Brexit prime minister".
Live: Reaction to Farage quitting
Mr Farage said the party would campaign against "backsliding" on the UK's exit from the EU, saying he planned to see out his term in the European Parliament - describing his party as "the turkeys that voted for Christmas".
He said he would not be backing a candidate to replace him, saying "may the best man or woman win".
Mr Farage said he would "bury the hatchet with anybody" including UKIP's sole MP Douglas Carswell, who tweeted an emoji picture of a smiley face as the leader's resignation was announced.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36702468#
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: UKIP Leadership Race thread

Post by madd0ct0r »

Should we just condense these to the Great British cockup 2016?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Considering UKIPs reson d'etre has been achieved, I was rather hoping it would vanish in a puff of putrid logic.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Is anyone else expecting it to end up as a three-legged race...? :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Ukip is set for civil war after the former leadership favourite Steven Woolfe was banned from standing because his application was 17 minutes late, making Diane James the new frontrunner to succeed Nigel Farage.

Woolfe conceded defeat within minutes of the announcement by Ukip’s vetting panel, criticising its choice but saying he wished the other candidates well.

Those on the ballot are now James, Ukip’s home affairs spokeswoman and a former parliamentary candidate, Bill Etheridge, an MEP, Elizabeth Jones, a deputy chairman of Ukip’s Lambeth branch, Jonathan Arnott, also an MEP, Lisa Duffy, a party organiser, and Phillip Broughton, a former candidate.

However, the decision to exclude Woolfe has set the stage for a battle over the future of the party by those loyal to the previous regime of Farage and others who want it to pursue a new direction.

Contributions
<em></em>

Click here
Amid turmoil in the party, a source close to Farage said he was “open to coming back but not immediately”. The Ukip source claimed “Diane is probably best placed to steer the ship” but said she might come under attack from forces within the party.

Woolfe was backed by many of the Faragists, including Arron Banks, the major Ukip donor who bankrolled an influential anti-EU group during the referendum.

They have claimed the move against their candidate is the result of a coup led by those close to Douglas Carswell, the Ukip MP and critic of Farage, and Neil Hamilton, the former Tory Conservative MP. Suzanne Evans, the former deputy chair, who had clashed with Farage, is backing Duffy.

A backlash started immediately as three members of the national executive committee (NEC) resigned – Victoria Ayling, Mick McGough and Ray Finch. In a joint letter, they said members of the NEC had placed “personal ambitions, loyalties and jealousies at the heart of their decision-making” and displayed an “escalating megalomania”.

Speaking to the Guardian, Banks said many of Ukip’s members would be furious and predicted they could split away to follow a new direct democracy movement linked to him and possibly Farage, similar to Italy’s Five Star group run by the ex-comedian Beppe Grillo.

Advertisement

“It’s not a split, it’s a chasm,” he said. “You’ve got about 1% of the party who back Carswell and Hamilton and 99% detest them.

“With the membership it looks like insanity to exclude your number one candidate on the back of a technical error. With Nigel leaving, I think it has taken the lid off a pressure cooker. It’s just insanity. It’s a bit like the Tory party saying Theresa May couldn’t stand because her application was late. I’m actually quite impressed Ukip has managed to top the Labour party with this. It is astonishing.”

Suggesting his new movement could be called “The 52”, in reference to those who voted for Brexit, the Ukip donor said: “We have maybe a million followers on social media from the campaign, most of which includes Ukip people. I’m sure Nigel has retired but maybe he would look at this movement idea rather than a political party.”

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
Banks said he thought someone would submit a bid for an extraordinary general meeting to abolish the NEC. Last week, Farage criticised the ruling executive as being full of “total amateurs” and people of the “lowest grade” he had ever encountered.

Tim Aker, a Ukip MEP who came close to winning Thurrock for Ukip at last year’s general election, said he was appalled at Woolfe’s exclusion, adding: “This isn’t over.”

A Ukip spokesman said: “An NEC-led panel sat on Tuesday afternoon to determine the eligibility of those that submitted nomination papers to stand to be Ukip’s new party leader ... By a clear majority of NEC members Steven Woolfe MEP’s application was considered to be ineligible as a result of a late submission and as such he did not meet the eligibility criteria. His membership of the party was not in question.”

Woolfe said: “Having been a committed member of Ukip, standing for the party in multiple elections, acting as a spokesman at the highest level, I wanted to take this opportunity to stand for leader to inject my ideas, plans and passion into the party,” he said.

“Over the course of this leadership election, the NEC has proven it is not fit for purpose and it confirmed many members’ fears that it is neither effective nor professional in the way it governs the party.”

He said the NEC had been forced to accept that his membership had never lapsed and refused to acknowledge “serious issues with the application system”.

“Furthermore, highly confidential information about me held in party documents has been leaked to the press and the NEC has not sought to investigate this gross breach of privacy,” he said.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rom-ballot
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I believe the correct word to convey my feelings on this is 'Diddums'

Much like my trousers, I can only encourage them to split asap, and save themselves long term embarrassment.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Nigel Farage is back as UKIP's leader after Diane James unexpectedly quit the job after 18 days at the helm.
Speaking to the BBC, Mr Farage said he would be the UK Independence Party's interim leader until a fresh election was held to find Ms James' successor.
"I keep trying to escape... and before I'm finally free they drag me back," he joked.
Ms James announced her resignation late on Tuesday, citing professional and personal reasons for her decision.
Ms James, who succeeded Nigel Farage on 16 September after he resigned following the Brexit vote, said she did not have enough authority in the party and would not be "formalising" her nomination.
She had not appointed a deputy and UKIP officials were initially unable to say who was now the leader of the party.
Rolling updates on UKIP leadership and Conservative conference
UKIP leadership: The top contenders
Who is Diane James?
Chaos returns to UKIP after resignation
But Mr Farage, who was UKIP leader from 2006-2009 and 2010-2016, told the BBC that he was technically leader, telling the Victoria Derbyshire programme: "I will continue as the interim leader of UKIP and we will go through the electoral process."
Asked why Ms James had stood down, Mr Farage said he believed it was partly due to a family illness and the "realisation" of what the job entailed.
"When you take this job your life finishes. This is what you are 24/7, there is nothing else. I think she looked down the barrel of that and thought 'this is not how I want to live my life'."
Mr Farage said he was "sorry" for Ms James as "it's a very difficult thing to have done". While it was "not a great day" for the party it was "not the end of the world", he said.
Diane James
Image caption
Ms James has said she will be making no more media statements on her resignation
Asked about speculation that Welsh UKIP leader Neil Hamilton could be installed as interim leader by the party's national executive committee, Mr Farage said: "Really? Well we'll have to see about that won't we.
"I do not see any prospect of that horror story coming to pass," he said, adding that Mr Hamilton "doesn't do our public image a whole host of good".
Neil Hamilton told Radio 4's World At One it would be a "horror story" if he became leader
But speaking to the BBC's Daily Politics programme Mr Hamilton said he had no interest in being the UKIP leader in any circumstances.
He also disputed the idea that Mr Farage was interim leader, saying it was for UKIP's ruling body to appoint an interim leader and that he would like MEP Paul Nuttall to take on that role.
UKIP chairman Paul Oakden told BBC Radio 4's Today he would look to hold an emergency meeting of the party's NEC to confirm the process for electing Ms James's replacement.
"Whilst the decision is unfortunate, it is one that Diane is entitled to make. We thank her for all her work as leader, and as a hard-working MEP, a role she will continue with her customary vigour."
UKIP chairman Paul Oakden on the resignation after 18 days of UKIP leader Diane James.
The Electoral Commission said UKIP submitted the paperwork notifying it of the change in leadership on Monday, although it had not been processed as officials had questions regarding the completion of the form.
"We are aware that the newly elected leader of UKIP has now stood down and are in touch with the party to confirm how they wish to proceed regarding updating their entry on the statutory register," a spokesman said.
Ms James said in her resignation statement sent to The Times newspaper: "It has become clear that I do not have sufficient authority, nor the full support of all my MEP colleagues and party officers to implement changes I believe necessary and upon which I based my campaign.
"For personal and professional reasons therefore, I will not take the election process further."
The former Conservative councillor, who defected to UKIP in 2011, said she would "continue to concentrate fully" on her activities and responsibilities as an MEP, adding it was her "final media statement on the issue".
Analysis
Diane James at UKIP's 2016 conference
Norman Smith, BBC assistant political editor
Even before Diane James' shock resignation, UKIP was a party teetering on the cusp of chaos, riven by feuds and factionalism.
Nigel Farage's decision to quit in the summer stripped UKIP of his dominant, driving personality, which held a quarrelling party together and gave it a sense of identity and momentum.
The subsequent brutal leadership contest exposed the personal and political fault lines with the party descending into near civil war.
On top of that, victory in the Brexit referendum had appeared to deprive the party of its very reason for existing.
Inevitably there will be speculation about a possible permanent return for Mr Farage, although he has insisted he will not do so.
Now with a slow haemorrhage of support returning to the Tories, there will be questions as to whether UKIP faces the fate of so many minor parties squeezed to the margins of British politics.
Ms James, a former businesswoman and healthcare professional, defeated four other contenders - Lisa Duffy, Bill Etheridge, Liz Jones and Phillip Broughton - in the leadership battle.
She won 8,451 votes out of the 17,970 votes cast, ahead of Ms Duffy, who received 4,591.
One-time frontrunner Steven Woolfe was barred from standing after submitting his nomination papers too late, while Suzanne Evans was unable to take part as she was suspended at the time.
Lisa Duffy
Councillor Lisa Duffy said she would consider whether to run for the leadership again
Ms Duffy told the BBC she had not yet spoken to Ms Evans about the leadership, but that they would have a conversation over the next two days to decide whether either of them would stand and whether they would back each other or stand against each other.
She told Radio 4's Today she was "not overly surprised" at Ms James' resignation as she did not believe she wanted to do the job and claimed she had shown no leadership since her election.
But she said she was "disappointed" for party members.
Meanwhile, former contender Ms Jones said she was considering throwing her hat in to the ring again.
Diane James addresses the UKIP party conference after being elected its new leader.
Ms James, in her acceptance speech at the party's conference in Bournemouth, had said UKIP would "confound our critics", "outwit our opponents" and "build on our election success" and more.
But the race to replace Mr Farage had exposed bitter divisions within UKIP, with Ms James encountering criticism from some in the party after declining to take part in hustings debates around the country with her rivals.
Responding to Ms James's resignation, UKIP's only MP, Douglas Carswell, said: "I'm sad and surprised. I just hope she's alright".
Meanwhile, a number of senior UKIP members in the East of England have told the BBC of having "nagging concerns" about the "radio silence" from Ms James's camp since her election as leader.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37561065
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And nobody was ever surprised that the snake in human form can't get enough of all the privilege and attention.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Now this is just getting bizarre.
The BBC wrote: UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe was taken to hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, interim leader Nigel Farage has said.

In a statement he said Mr Woolfe had "subsequently collapsed" and his "condition is serious".

Mr Woolfe, MEP for the North West, was taken to hospital in Strasbourg for tests.

Mr Woolfe announced on Wednesday he will stand for the party's leadership after Diane James stepped down.

In his statement, Mr Farage said: " I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of UKIP MEPs this morning that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious."

Mr Woolfe, who celebrates his 49th birthday today, is said to have been taken ill after walking out of a vote at the parliament in Strasbourg.

The other candidate to have declared so far, Raheem Kassam, tweeted his best wishes for Mr Woolfe, as did ex deputy chairwoman Suzanne Evans.

Mr Kassam tweeted that he had cancelled his appearance on BBC2's Daily Politics "out of respect" for Mr Woolfe, following reports he had been taken ill.

He added: "I really hope @Steven-Woolfe is okay. Plz send him your best wishes."

Ms Evans, who is said to be considering her own leadership bid, tweeted: "Shocked to hear Steven Woolfe has apparently collapsed in the European Parliament in Strasbourg. Wishing him well for a speedy recovery."

Bill Etheridge, a former UKIP leadership contender and an MEP for the West Midlands and Dudley , tweeted: "Hoping all is well and wishing @Steven_Woolfe all the best after he was taken ill today in Strasbourg."
I wonder what is meant by 'altercation', I mean I'm picturing a punch-up over the leadership but I guess that's probably not the case.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

According to sky he was punched in the face by another UKIP MEP in a meeting following the suggestion that he considered defecting to the tories.
Also "serious" means "life-threatening".
http://news.sky.com/story/ukips-steven- ... n-10607157
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So the far Right in Britain has gotten to the point of murderous assaults on their own politicians?

Jesus.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

jwl wrote:According to sky he was punched in the face by another UKIP MEP in a meeting following the suggestion that he considered defecting to the tories.
Also "serious" means "life-threatening".
http://news.sky.com/story/ukips-steven- ... n-10607157
Oooh shit. The beeb isn't reporting that yet.

The Romulan Republic wrote:So the far Right in Britain has gotten to the point of murderous assaults on their own politicians?

Jesus.
Sky's source says he was punched in the face and hit his head on a railing on the way down. So serious assault but I imagine not actually intentionally murderous.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2016-10-06 09:21am, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Still. You'd think this would be a wake up call to voters that "Holy shit, these people are fucking crazy."

Their are lines you just can't cross in democratic politics, and assaulting your opponents is one of them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh no argument on that account.

Then again at least it wasn't a voter. Labour's John Prescott did that,, now he's a lord.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

To be fair to John Prescott, he said in an interview he though at the time he might have been hit by a rock instead of an egg. I think in the heat of the moment that's well possible and might justify defending yourself in that way.

Also in what sense is Steven Woolfe not a voter? I can well see after this incident (presuming he survives) he might decide to vote tory from now on.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

jwl wrote:To be fair to John Prescott, he said in an interview he though at the time he might have been hit by a rock instead of an egg. I think in the heat of the moment that's well possible and might justify defending yourself in that way.
True enough.
Also in what sense is Steven Woolfe not a voter? I can well see after this incident (presuming he survives) he might decide to vote tory from now on.
You are technically correct. :roll: I meant that it'd more damaging to your image to punch a member of the public than have a scuffle with your own party member.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Turns out sky were wrong about it being life-threatening, Woolfe says he's fine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37572377

Also it says punches were "exchanged": I don't see it as impossible that Woolfe started the fight.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Romulan Republic wrote:So the far Right in Britain has gotten to the point of murderous assaults on their own politicians?
No - it's the far left that does that. Or at the very least they're the only ones issuing death threats and bricks through windows.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Hey, at least it means young people are taking an interest in politics for a change.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

This shit right here is what's tiding me over until Game of Thrones comes back...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Zaune wrote:Hey, at least it means young people are taking an interest in politics for a change.
If that interest is focused on taking us back to decade-long catastrophe the 70s, then a prompt return to apathy is to be sincerely hoped for. We can't always rely on having a godsend like Maggie Thatcher being available to repair the damage.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I don't think you can judge a whole party by a few nutter activists. I mean, if you judged Ukip by that standard you'd really have problems. You've got to look at the main people: in UKIP's case people like Steven Woolfe, in Labour's case people like John McDonnell.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Captain Seafort wrote:We can't always rely on having a godsend like Maggie Thatcher being available to repair the damage.

There are many words to describe her, this is not one of them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Zaune wrote:Hey, at least it means young people are taking an interest in politics for a change.
If that interest is focused on taking us back to decade-long catastrophe the 70s, then a prompt return to apathy is to be sincerely hoped for. We can't always rely on having a godsend like Maggie Thatcher being available to repair the damage.
You are of course, taking the fucking piss.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Captain Seafort wrote:
No - it's the far left that does that. Or at the very least they're the only ones issuing death threats and bricks through windows.
Don't know how it is in Britain (aside from the fact that you actually had a far Right nut murder an MP recently), but we see plenty of that shit from the far Right here in America.