Fort McMurray devoured by historic Alberta wildfire

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Fort McMurray devoured by historic Alberta wildfire

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Fort McMurray wildfire burning so hot, only weather can stop it
'Perfect storm' of factors makes Alberta wildfire a powerful force, but such fires could be 'the new normal'

Lucas Powers · Senior Writer · CBC News

The raging wildfire that has forced the evacuation of Fort McMurray, Alta., and engulfed parts of the community is the kind of blaze that firefighters dread, but could become more common, according to experts.

Alternatively described by officials as "catastrophic," a "multi-headed monster" and a "dirty, nasty" fire, the blaze is at least 80,000 hectares in area and has destroyed more than 1,600 structures. It could threaten the entire town, the fire chief told reporters.

LIVE BLOG | Up-to-the-minute updates from Fort McMurray
​Wildfire rages in Fort McMurray as evacuees settle in Edmonton
​2 babies born in Fort McMurray wildfire evacuation camp
The wildfire became so intense Tuesday that the heat limited air operations over the affected areas. More than 150 firefighters are battling it on multiple fronts, with hundreds more from other provinces scheduled to arrive in the coming days.

Temperatures are expected to remain high, with a glimmer of hope on the horizon as a cold front approaches. It could, however, bring lightning with it, possibly starting more fires. It is a nearly impossible situation.

The blaze is an extreme example of the power of Mother Nature, but offers some interesting lessons about the science of wildfires.

The science of how wildfires spread and how they're stopped
'A perfect storm' of fire

The conditions that preceded the start of this fire were quintessential wildfire conditions: a seemingly endless supply of dry fuel on the forest floor and in the canopy, and intense heat. All that was needed was a spark, and whether it was caused by human error or lightning (an investigation is underway), once the spark was there, the fire became a beast.

"You hate to use the ​cliché, but it really was kind of a perfect storm," says Mike Wotton, a research scientist with the Canadian Forest Service and professor at the University of Toronto.

"There was a mild winter and not a lot of meltwater from the mountain snow pack. Now, a stale air mass has been sitting over Alberta, and it led to very low humidity. Then there was an early, hot spring, and everything got very dry. Then on top of that, it got windy."

The fire, burning between 800 C and 1,000 C, was first spotted when it was about 500 hectares in area (with each hectare about the size of a rugby pitch). It became what's called a crown fire, which occurs when the tops of conifers, which tend to burn more easily than deciduous trees, become engulfed and the flames spread through the canopy.

"That's when you start to see the 100-metre-high flames," said Mike Flannigan, professor of wildland fire at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

The fire was likely moving at a speed of up to five kilometres per hour and quickly became difficult to manage.

'Like spitting on a campfire'

Many fires in the Boreal forest are extremely unpredictable. The fire front, the area where it's burning most intensely, is so hot, that crews can't attack it from the front.

Sometimes the fire front can be hundreds of metres long, according to Flannigan, so crews have to work at its flanks. Aerial attacks become less effective because they aren't hitting the core of the fire.

For example, on Tuesday, firefighters were unable to fly over the fire front of the Fort McMurray wildfire because it was too hot and too smoky, according to Alberta emergency officials.

"This really shows that once a fire like this is up and running, the only things that are going to stop it is if the weather changes or if it runs out of fuel to burn up," says Flannigan. "With a fire like this, it's burning so hot that air drops are like spitting on a campfire. Water and retardant might slow it down, but probably not much."

Danger of spot fires

The wildfire that has destroyed parts of Fort McMurray managed to cross two rivers and spawned so-called hot spots all around the affected area, and officials said that has put a terrible strain on crews.

The wildfire is burning so intensely at its front that burning sticks, vegetation and embers are belched out of it and carried by the wind, starting brand new fires. If the wind changes direction, it can be disastrous.

(Sources: Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Press )
(Sources: Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Press )

During the massive 2011 fire in Slave Lake, Alta., there were examples of spot fires starting in populated areas more than two kilometres from the fire's front.

Another complicating factor is that the latest fire started close to and moved into Fort McMurray, forcing the evacuation of about 88,000 people. The "wildland-urban interface," as Flannigan called it, is fraught with danger.

"Wildland firefighters are trained to fight wildfire, and municipal firefighters are trained to fight structural fires. Now, you have both types, creating a very dangerous hybrid fire, and it's entering an area with propane tanks, gas stations and other potentially explosive things."

'The new normal' for wildfires

According to Natural Resources Canada, the mean number of wildfires each year in Canada for the last 25 years has been about 8,300. An average of about 2.3 million hectares burns each year, but recent years have seen more destructive fires in terms of area covered.

In 2014, for example, more than 5,100 forest fires burned over 4.5 million hectares. Last year, nearly four million hectares had been scorched by around 6,700 fires by early September, and fire season continues from late April to late September, depending on the region.

"Climate change models and research all point to the idea that fire season is going to be longer in the coming years, and the fires will be more severe," says David Andison, adjunct professor with the faculty of forestry at UBC.

"It will really just be the new normal."

Many agencies have started taking an approach that focuses only on wildfires that could threaten urban centres or important infrastructure. Only three per cent of wildfires in the boreal forest grow to be more than 200 hectares, but that three per cent accounts for 97 per cent of the area burned each year, according to Natural Resources Canada.

It's not just a resources problem, but rather a new approach to fire management. Wildfires are a key part of the ecological cycle and provide an opportunity for new growth and the evolution of ecosystems. Instead of trying to suppress every fire, an assessment is made, and if it can burn without any damage to populated areas, it will be left alone.

"As tragic as this is in terms of property damage, and costs and stress, fire is still a natural process in the forest and the outcome of this will be a young, vibrant forest ecosystem," says Andison.
As a native McMurrayite living elsewhere whose parents and grandparents still resided there until the outbreak of this biblical column of flame, I can offer a few more details about some of the broader aspects of this story:

-The fire has expanded to the point where many of the outlying communities that were initial evacuation points, like the native reserves of Anzac and Ft McKay, are now under orders to evacuate.
-There is another fire south on Highway 881 that has come about as a consequence of a collision between an SUV and a fuel tanker. This has also been the only source of the sole two fatalities related to this whole evacuation, mercifully.
-Said wildfire is also menacing two other communities to the point of evacuation, those in Lac Ste Anne county and the town of High Level, with what appears to be another evacuation in order for the town of Lac La Biche. This final order will mark the third time my grandparents will have had to evacuate due to the fires.
-The generosity of Albertans in general and Edmontonians in particular continues to amaze, everything from the more obvious like meals and beds to the more niche like veterinary services and autism support services. Even registered members of this board who shall remain nameless have made substantial contributions.
-CFB Edmonton and CAFB Cold Lake have deployed to the site of the main fire in Fort McMurray, along with the collected firefighting services of pretty well the entire nation, with the notable exception of British Columbia who are dealing with their own fires. American firefighting personnel and assets are also either present or en route, and given the rate at which the fire continues to grow I presume there will soon be firefighters from literally all over the world dispatched here soon.
-Oilsands plants have remained remarkably unaffected for the most part, with Shell shutting down their Albian Sands plant and some other select production throttling taking place. In total, 64,000 barrels of oil per day of capacity have been trimmed for now.

The only other context I'd like to supply is this video of the neighborhood I grew up in: https://www.facebook.com/CTVEdmonton/vi ... =2&theater

I guess you really can never go home again.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fort McMurray devoured by historic Alberta wildfire

Post by Zixinus »

I wish you and everyone affected the best of luck and a shift recovery from this calamity.

Was the nearby forest managed somehow, with trimming of dry wood or controlled burns?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

It's the beginning of May, we wouldn't normally have considered such things until later in the year. Part of what makes the wildfire so staggering isn't just the size of it and the speed it is spreading with, but the fact that it's earlier than anyone could have dreamed.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ya, isn't Alberta 30+ degress Celsius right now? And apparently the fire is now over 85,000 hectares.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

30+C, mild winter, low humidity, there's a reason why one of the interviewees begrudgingly trotted out the old "perfect storm" label - because it fits perfectly here. Hell, even cold night air can improve combustion efficiency a bit, and of course that goddamn collision would have to be with a fuel tanker. It's pure Hollywood, I'm in disbelief.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

And the ongoing Siphon Creek fire of BC is expected to cross into Alberta today.

Fucking awesome.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A fucking nightmare.

I am, frankly, amazed in the most pleasant way that the death toll has been so low - single digits. That is truly astonishing. I hope such good fortune continues.

This reminds me somewhat of the Peshtigo Fire of 1871 - massive wildfires are not really new, the difference is that in 1871 no one had modern communications or our modern ability to outrun flames. Also, folks were a bit distracted at the time because the city of Chicago burned down at the exact same time (as did Holland, Manistee, and Port Huron, Michigan - October 8, 1871 was a really, really bad day for a tens of thousands of people). On the upside, it hasn't gotten that bad yet. I hope it doesn't.

Question for my intellectual side: is the Fort McMurray fire still "just" a conflagration, or has it moved officially to firestorm status?

As for the generosity - I'm not entirely surprised. I've long said that Canadians are the best neighbors any could have, time and again they have shown generosity to those from beyond their borders, of course they would do the same for their own, right?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Broomstick wrote:Question for my intellectual side: is the Fort McMurray fire still "just" a conflagration, or has it moved officially to firestorm status?
It's well into firestorm territory now, that's not in dispute anywhere.
As for the generosity - I'm not entirely surprised. I've long said that Canadians are the best neighbors any could have, time and again they have shown generosity to those from beyond their borders, of course they would do the same for their own, right?
I'm not surprised by the volume of the giving, but rather how highly specific some forms of the giving are. A lot of these forms of charity will only affect a small number of people, but to said people it will mean a lot to have that specialized assistance. Unexpected and welcome.

If there are any other academic queries about the Fort McMurray fire, maybe this map of the size of the fire and accompanying overlays with major cities will get you off on the right foot.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Question for my intellectual side: is the Fort McMurray fire still "just" a conflagration, or has it moved officially to firestorm status?
It's well into firestorm territory now, that's not in dispute anywhere.
I am truly sorry to hear that.

For those not familar with the term - a firestorm is a fire large enough to generate its own weather systems, from ground level winds to stratospheric level "pyronimbus" clouds, and provided enough fuel remains it is self-sustaining. My understanding is that the only thing that can be done is to let the fire burn itself out, there isn't really an effective strategy to end one. Of course, I'd be very happy to be wrong on that so if anyone has more up to date information please post it!

Delaying actions on the flanks can be performed, which can give people an opportunity to escape. Presumably, that's where efforts are now being focused, on rescue and evacuation. This thing can jump roads and rivers, it's important to get people out of the way.

It also means that giving aid will be enormously important. I'm not sure I'm in a position to give (being poor sucks) but if I can I will.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Broomstick wrote: Presumably, that's where efforts are now being focused, on rescue and evacuation. This thing can jump roads and rivers, it's important to get people out of the way.
As the map shows, it's already jumped both the Clearwater and Athabasca rivers, which are fairly broad and not easy to cross, so that hopefully provides some idea of just how intense the firestorm is. Even the provincial disaster authority explicitly said that "air tankers are not going to stop this fire", and since posting this a firefighting aircraft has been lost in action.

Suncor also seems to feel that there is no further point in maintaining operations now that the fire has jumped both rivers and has ordered a general evacuation, meaning that as of right now only Syncrude is left conducting any kind of extraction or processing. All employees are being airlifted out via the Firebag Aerodrome, as the airport is inaccessible by ground now.
It also means that giving aid will be enormously important. I'm not sure I'm in a position to give (being poor sucks) but if I can I will.
Thank you Broomstick. Anyone who wants to donate to the Canadian Red Cross can text REDCROSS to 30333 for a $5 CDN donation.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

100 meter tall flames. Is there a more terrifying image than that....
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

As this is a firestorm, there's basically nothing to stop it so long as it has fuel, not unless we get serious precipitation... and precipitation is half a week away for this bone-dry forest, at least. Maybe more.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Col. Crackpot wrote:100 meter tall flames. Is there a more terrifying image than that....
Yep, there is:

This is a "firenado". It's tornado made of fire. The joy of winds of several hundred kph capable of demolishing buildings and launching large trucks into the air combined with superheated air over 1000C.

Image not from Fort McMurray, but from another wildfire (Alice Springs, Australia, 2012).

Firestorms make multiples of these.

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

A news crew dispatched from Edmonton reported seeing "fiery dirt devils", despite not being able to film them, so there may have been some on hand.

Not to nag or anything, but this is a great time to donate to the Canadian Red Cross because both the provincial and federal governments have pledged to match each $5 donation. So far, the three donation streams have approached $100 million, and I'm hoping we can do more.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Another bit of fire tornado footage, this time from the Fort McMurray area. It includes a firefighter running from said fire tornado, and (spoiler) saving his life.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Damn, that was close. Thank god he's okay.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

It's lucky in the extreme no more people died in the hurried evacuation of Fort McMurray. During the exodus from town there was fire on both sides of the highway heading south. I'm amazed there was no major pileup or vehicles being burned over. In the past evacuations in such conditions have proved disastrous. The newest news is the fire is expected to double again in size over the course of a day this weekend. Until a major rain hits this fire will just continue to eat up real estate. The difference in the temperatures being seen and the average for this time of year is also insane.

On another note this fire isn't really plume dominated, which is when it makes its own thunderstorm clouds and then the column collapses and pushes the fire out in every direction with strong outflow winds. Right now its wind driven heading eastward from the reports I've seen.

I think these videos from the evacuation earlier in the week are illuminating for those who haven't seen them:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Today's media updates included security camera footage from inside a house as it burned, reports that the fire is now 300 square miles/1550 square kilometers in extent, and it's expected to reach Saskatchewan by midnight.

The good news is, apparently, the main direction it's advancing is largely uninhabited by people.