Malaysia Airlines flight suffers major navigational error

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Malaysia Airlines flight suffers major navigational error

Post by Zaune »

Huffington Post
A Malaysia Airlines plane has reportedly flown on an unexpected route shortly after take off, leaving its pilots dumbstruck and requiring them to alter its course.

Flight MH132 from Auckland, New Zealand to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, took off as normal on Christmas Day, but within minutes began chartering a path that differed from its pilots' intended route.

New Zealand's Herald newspaper reports that the pilot contacted air traffic controllers to highlight the anomaly and to plot a return to its expected direction.

Records of the Airbus 330 on FlightRadar24.com show the plane ascending and turning, but don't provide a full record of the flight over the Tasman Sea where the plane would have been out of range of the website's radar.

Malaysia Airlines was embroiled in bad publicity when the world turned its attention to the tragic disappearance of flight MH370 in March 2014.

That flight has never been found, despite extensive search efforts across the South China Sea where it was last reported.

In July of last year, tragedy struck the airline again when flight MH17 was hit by a rocket whilst flying over Ukraine. All 298 people on board perished.

The local New Zealand authority for air traffic control, Airways, says it is investigating Friday's incident.

"We have an internal safety team who will investigate it," an Airways spokeswoman told the Herald.

"The flight plan the airline filed with us was going to Kuala Lumpur but via a slightly different route than the pilot was expecting."

Weather is not thought to have played a part in the aircraft's apparent decision to move off course.

Mail Online reported that passengers were "not aware" of the incident.

Malaysia Airlines had yet to respond to HuffPost UK's request for comment at the time of publication.
I doubt this will turn out to be anything more than an unfortunate coincidence, but it's really not been this company's year, has it?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Malaysia Airlines flight suffers major navigational error

Post by Broomstick »

If you mis-program the autopilot that sort of thing can happen. It's hardly unprecedented, and I think this got reported because of which airline it happened to.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Re: Malaysia Airlines flight suffers major navigational error

Post by Lost Soal »

The way I'm reading it, whoever programmed the Autopilot also filed the flight plan with the airport, however that plan wasn't given to the actual pilot who was expecting to fly a different route. Its not exactly clear, but someone was given the wrong flight info.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.