Whole foods benefits from cheap prison labor

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Whole foods benefits from cheap prison labor

Post by General Zod »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... -prisoners
Whole Foods Market has announced that by April of next year it will stop sourcing foods that are produced using prison labor.

The move comes on the heels of a demonstration in Houston where the company was chastised for employing inmates through prison-work programs.

Michael Allen, founder of End Mass Incarceration Houston, organized the protest. He says Whole Foods was engaging in exploitation since inmates are typically paid very low wages.

"People are incarcerated and then forced to work for pennies on the dollar — compare that to what the products are sold for," Allen tells The Salt.

Currently, Whole Foods sells a goat cheese produced by Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy in Longmont, Colo., and a tilapia from Quixotic Farming, which bills itself as a family-owned sustainable seafood company.

These companies partner with Colorado Correctional Industries, a division of the Colorado Department of Corrections, to employ prisoners to milk goats and raise the fish.

CCI's mission is to provide inmates with employment and training. The intent is to give them skills that could help them find employment once they're released. CCI employs about 1,600 inmates, according to a report by the Colorado state auditor.

In an email, Whole Food's spokesperson Michael Silverman tells The Salt that the company liked the idea of employing inmates. "We felt that supporting supplier partners who found a way to be part of paid, rehabilitative work being done by inmates would help people get back on their feet," he writes.

But Silverman says, "we have heard from some shoppers and members of the community that they were uncomfortable with Whole Foods Market's sourcing products produced with inmate labor."

And in order to stay "in-tune" with customers' wishes, the company came to its decision to stop selling the goat cheese and tilapia.

As reporter Graeme Wood wrote in Pacific Standard, these in-state prison-work systems face no federal regulation.

And there are also questions about the justness of prison-work programs. Allen and other protesters in Houston hung signs that said: "End Whole Foods Market's Profiting From Prison Slave Labor."

By some accounts, though, they're progressive. For instance, CCI supporters point to a lower recidivism rate among inmates who are employed while they're incarcerated.

Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy's John Scaggs says the farm will begin to source more milk from dairies that don't rely on inmate labor — so that it can continue to sell some cheeses to Whole Foods.

But Scaggs says he's still a supporter of the prison labor program that CCI has created in Colorado.

"This is a model example of a prison-work program," Scaggs says. "By purchasing goat's milk from the facility [that uses prison labor], we're supporting ... rehabilitative incarceration." He says prisoners are taught teamwork and getting job training.

Scaggs says the inmates make about $1,500 to $2,500 a year, but he isn't sure what the hourly rate of pay is.

"If an inmate is serving a sentence for a few years, they can come out with a few thousand bucks [in savings] and a whole new skill set," he says.
First, fuck Whole Foods.

Second, how many jobs do you think they're taking away from the average worker with this kind of bullshit, and how many other companies are guilty of it? The only reason Whole Foods is quitting is because they were called out on it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Whole foods benefits from cheap prison labor

Post by Lord Revan »

Personally I don't mind giving prisoners training to allow them to have job skills for after prison sentence ends since otherwise as I've stated before you might as well just give life sentence for everything as those prisoners will just end back in prison anyway.

That said I disaprove using inmates as a cheap source of labor to avoid hiring normal workers, I think those inmates should paid at least the same as the minium wage for that job is.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lord Revan wrote:Personally I don't mind giving prisoners training to allow them to have job skills for after prison sentence ends since otherwise as I've stated before you might as well just give life sentence for everything as those prisoners will just end back in prison anyway.
That would mean something if bullshit victimless crimes and/or non-violent criminals weren't gumming up the U.S. justice system. This combined with U.S. lawmakers making everything they can a felony and/or making petty crimes a life-time conviction any employer can look up, does way more damage to the labor pool than lack of job-skills.

I'm not adverse to prisoners learning a trade or getting a degree in prison. I don't even mind helping to pay for it, but it's not the problem with why U.S. "residents" of the Justice System have such high recidivism. OR at least, it's not as big a problem as people think.
That said I disaprove using inmates as a cheap source of labor to avoid hiring normal workers, I think those inmates should paid at least the same as the minium wage for that job is.
Not to mention it's almost a given inmates aren't given proper training, in both safety and other areas, OSHA is probably kept out of the whole thing, and the tax payer picks up the tab when one of them gets fucked up on the job, rather than workers comp and insurance, that companies who don't hire slave labor have to pay into.

I don't know the specifics on the current system, but I would bet money oversight is jack and shit.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

They are going to layoff 1500 jobs.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TheFeniX wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Personally I don't mind giving prisoners training to allow them to have job skills for after prison sentence ends since otherwise as I've stated before you might as well just give life sentence for everything as those prisoners will just end back in prison anyway.
That would mean something if bullshit victimless crimes and/or non-violent criminals weren't gumming up the U.S. justice system. This combined with U.S. lawmakers making everything they can a felony and/or making petty crimes a life-time conviction any employer can look up, does way more damage to the labor pool than lack of job-skills.
So, instead of having something to do with their day those inmates will now be unemployed and sitting around doing nothing all day. And that benefits them... how?

I agree, the pay rate of prisoners sucks, but while that's a related issue it's also somewhat separate from the question of "what does someone in prison do all day?".
I'm not adverse to prisoners learning a trade or getting a degree in prison. I don't even mind helping to pay for it, but it's not the problem with why U.S. "residents" of the Justice System have such high recidivism. OR at least, it's not as big a problem as people think.
Part of the high recidivism problem is the difficulty in getting someone to employ you AFTER you leave prison. Having some training and work experience is a positive, but the biggest problem is the prejudice against prior conviction.
Lord Revan wrote:That said I disaprove using inmates as a cheap source of labor to avoid hiring normal workers, I think those inmates should paid at least the same as the minium wage for that job is.
I can get behind this.
Not to mention it's almost a given inmates aren't given proper training, in both safety and other areas, OSHA is probably kept out of the whole thing, and the tax payer picks up the tab when one of them gets fucked up on the job, rather than workers comp and insurance, that companies who don't hire slave labor have to pay into.

I don't know the specifics on the current system, but I would bet money oversight is jack and shit.
So... you admit you don't know the specifics, but are making claims that prisoners aren't given proper training, safety is sub-part, they don't obey OSHA regulations... While I think the question of whether or not that is the case is a valid one to ask please provide some substantiation for your claims.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote:So, instead of having something to do with their day those inmates will now be unemployed and sitting around doing nothing all day. And that benefits them... how?
I didn't say "have nothing to do." You need to give them something to do that doesn't affect the general labor pool as you basically have access to slave labor, thus a highly desirable labor pool since the tax-payer will eat any negatives of this system besides PR. Make them do 1st grade art projects for all I care.

Also, gives a huge incentive to incarcerate more first-time and non-violent offenders as these will make for much better laborers than violent and repeat ones.
I agree, the pay rate of prisoners sucks, but while that's a related issue it's also somewhat separate from the question of "what does someone in prison do all day?".
Maybe they sit in a box and think about what they've done? Maybe give them the option to learn a trade without treating them like slaves? Texas forces inmates of all stripes into manual labor. Joe Arpaio has killed young kids in his quest to do the same thing. I'd rather NOT pay them to sit in a box than pay them pennies so they can get murdered by exploitative scum. Guys like Arpaio cost the tax-payers MILLIONS in law-suits. If these are the kinds of chuckle-fucks in charge of the system, I'd rather have no prison labor system.
but the biggest problem is the prejudice against prior conviction.
Exactly, and since more and more crimes, even in the misdemeanor categories and those applied to minors are life-time convictions anyone with 2 brain-cells can look up, it's something we need to address before we try and claim we're helping prisons out by teaching them to farm.
So... you admit you don't know the specifics, but are making claims that prisoners aren't given proper training, safety is sub-part, they don't obey OSHA regulations... While I think the question of whether or not that is the case is a valid one to ask please provide some substantiation for your claims.
Because information about a system that's been corrupt since fucking ever (just look into the historical Texas prison system) is actually hard. Since most prison don't consider prisoners employees they aren't require to submit labor statistics. But California seems to pay out of tax-payer coffers because they do recognize worker comp for prisoners. I can find nothing on their actual labor statistics though. If you can, I would love to read it because I know it's fucking bad (if the data even exists).

Just look at the incident rate for the actual employees at prisons.
Chart 1 - Incidence rate for non-fatal occupational injuries and illnesses involving days away from work:

Total private sector, state and local government: 112.4
Correctional Officers and Jailers: 459.1

Chart 2 - Incidence rate for violence and other injuries by persons or animals:

Total private sector, state and local government: 7.2
Correctional Officers and Jailers: 168.5
Now, I get prisons are fucking violent. But businesses should be expected NOT TO BE. Or let me rephrase: I have expectations of violence being a cop or prison guard. As a firefighter, I understand running into burning buildings is dangerous and my employer is required to report these dangers to me. Oh and they have to pick-up the tab when I'm hurt on the job. As a prison guard, my obligation as a tax-payer is to pay for their injuries. But not when a private company wants to use cheap labor and have me pick up the tab.

This shit is in the same vein as Wal-Mart not paying a living wage because welfare exists. They are scum but at least, as far as I know, their scummery isn't getting people killed.

If you can't provide a safe environment for working people to perform their duties, then you do not get to do business in that area or with those people. And since prisons are already stupid violent, you shouldn't be able to do business there if you can't at least protect employees when they are working.