Canada Election 2015

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Canada Election 2015

Post by Tribble »

For the couple of people who might be intersted, it's election season in Canada. IMO this Vox article does a pretty good job explaining it, so I figured I'd post it. In typical Canadian fashion, I'm not actually expecting any responses here because little things like elections in our country are usually ignored by the rest of the world. But of course, you're more than welcome to post if you have a question or have something to say :P

The 2015 Canadian federal election, explained:
There's a big debate happening tonight, and it has nothing to do with Donald Trump or the Republican primary. While Americans wait for the 9 pm GOP showdown, Canadian political junkies (and US-based fans of Canadian politics) will be tuning in to the Maclean's National Leaders Debate, the first debate of the Canadian federal election of 2015. Pitting longtime incumbent Stephen Harper against two relatively unseasoned rivals, it's essentially the launch of a campaign season that could bring unprecedented change to Canadian politics.

Topping the polls right now is Thomas Mulcair and his New Democratic Party, a left-wing party that's never led Canada and whose victory could meaningfully alter the US political dialogue around trade and pipelines.

1) What is Canada?

Like so many of the world's other trouble spots, Canada is an artifact of British imperialism cobbled together without regard for geography, linguistics, or religion.

The product of a mid-19th-century merger between a couple of British colonies and some land conquered from France, Canada remains a land divided both regionally and linguistically. Slightly more than one-fifth of Canadians speak French as their mother tongue, and tend to align themselves politically with the more left-wing currents associated with France rather than the English-speaking world. And Anglophone Canadians are themselves divided between the poor provinces of Atlantic Canada, the industrial and metropolitan core in Ontario, and the resource-intensive economy of the west.

Canada also contains a significant population of First Nations people, who are not quite as politically disenfranchised as their American counterparts, as well as the vast and largely empty spaces of the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

But the current election, in many ways, marks the muting of ethnic and regional tensions that dominated Canadian politics from the mid-'80s to the early 21st century. Both Quebec separatism and western-specific grievance politics have vanished as forces in Canadian politics, giving way to a more straightforward left-right ideological conflict. The loser in the process seems to be Canada's Liberal Party, the party that has traditionally stood for Canadian national unity in the face of centrifugal pressures.

2) Who is running in this election?

There are three major parties contesting the election:

1) The Conservative Party of Canada has only existed in its current form since 2003, but has governed since 2006. Stephen Harper is the only CPC prime minister — indeed, the only CPC leader — in Canadian history, and he is running for yet another term. He's been in office for a long time, but his first couple of ministries were minority governments in which the Conservatives were the biggest party but couldn't pass bills without some support from one of the opposition parties. That necessity made it easier to bridge gaps between his party's more centrist and right wings, which hasn't been the case since they won a majority in 2011.

Harper is hurt by a Canadian economy that suffers from low global commodity prices, and by the inevitable staleness that comes from serving in office this long. He is helped by a badly divided opposition.

2) The New Democrat Party is the official opposition in the current Parliament and stands as an analog to the Labour Party in the UK or a social democratic party in continental Europe.

The New Democrats stand for left-wing politics and an alliance with labor unions. Traditionally, they've been a small third party — active in provincial politics in a handful of places but never in serious contention to lead the Canadian federal government. Their strategy for influencing policy has been to try to win some seats in Parliament and then hope that nobody has enough seats to hold an absolute majority. Under those circumstances, even a relatively small bloc of NDPers could push policy one way or the other.

This all changed in the 2011 election, which saw political support for the separatist Bloc Québécois vanish, suddenly leading to the election of a huge clutch of New Democrats from French-speaking districts ("ridings," as they are called in Canadian). That helped boost the NDP into an unprecedented second-place finish, which has laid the foundation for them to define themselves as the real alternative to Harper.

3) The Liberal Party of Canada has traditionally been the dominant party of Canadian politics and features a wishy-washy center-left ideological positioning similar to that of the moderate wing of the US Democratic Party.

But the Liberals have also traditionally been the party of Canadian bilingualism and binationalism. It's the party that Quebecois who don't favor independence vote for, and the party that in English Canada stands for the principle that Francophone Canadians deserve recognition as a distinct and co-equal society within Canada. The high salience of regional and linguistic politics in the 1990s greatly advantaged the Liberals by fracturing non-Liberals into multiple parties — Jeffrey Simpson, an influential Canadian journalist, labeled this era a "friendly dictatorship" — but the unification of two different center-right parties into the Conservative Party of Canada and the rise of the NDP have left it squeezed in the middle.

3) What time is the Canadian election?

The Canadian Federal Election will be held on October 19, 2015. The debate on August 6 will be the first debate of the campaign, and the 11-week span between the August 2 beginning of the campaign and the October 19 election is the longest in Canadian history.

4) Wait, 11 weeks is considered a long campaign?

Yes. In most democracies outside the United States of America, it is traditional to take long — years-long, in fact — breaks between election campaigns so that members of the legislature can focus on legislative work, government ministers can focus on governing, and opposition party leaders can work on their alternative program. Actual campaigns take place during bounded periods of time.

In Canada, the way it works is that while Parliament is sitting, there is no election. A campaign begins when the governor-general (the largely ceremonial head of state who serves as the queen's representative in Canada) dissolves Parliament at the request of the prime minister. Dissolution of Parliament could be invoked as a response to some political crisis, but in the case of the 2015 Canadian Federal Election it was done in advance of a scheduled election. The campaign is going to be long because Prime Minister Stephen Harper dissolved Parliament well in advance of the scheduled election, a perfectly legal but somewhat norm-violating move.

5) This is a lot of Canada talk, where's my music break?

My personal favorite Canadian song is "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" by Stars, which deals with such Canadian themes as heartbreak, longing, and the struggle to pronounce the French word for "bridge."

Canada's music industry thrives in part due to protectionist regulations demanding that Canadian broadcast media dedicate a certain share of their time to "Canadian content" (what that means exactly is spelled out in complicated regulations), thus ensuring that Canadian artists always have a local toehold and aren't drowned out by Americans. This weird video mashing up a Drake song with videos of Canadian "heritage minutes" is arguably more archetypically Canadian than the Stars tune, since it involves both Drake and Inuit.

6) Why did Harper want such a long election?

Typically, a campaign would be short for one of two reasons. Either it is called in response to a crisis, so it has to be short, or else it's been called at what the prime minister thinks will be an advantageous moment, so he wants it to be short.

But in this case, Harper was going to have to run for reelection during a tough 2015 economic climate driven by global commodity prices, so there was no ideal timing. Meanwhile, a long campaign serves the interests of the Conservative Party because of the way the Canadian campaign finance system works.

Spending during an election season is restricted, but parties can spend more in longer campaigns than in short ones. Yet beyond legal restrictions, the parties are also limited by their ability to raise funds. The Conservatives have a much more robust fundraising capacity and thus a long campaign with a high spending cap gives them an advantage. The Liberals and the NDP will be hoarding their resources to run ads in the closing weeks of the campaign. The Conservatives will match them late, but also rule the airwaves singlehandedly early on.*

7) I'm not Canadian — should I care about this at all?

Well, I bothered to write this, so obviously I think you should.

Here are a few reasons why:
Even though nobody talks about it, the US-Canada economic relationship is extremely important, and Canada — not China or Mexico — is our largest trading partner.
An NDP win could throw a major wrench in the works for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, as Mulcair is promising to take a tougher line on provisions related to Canadian agriculture policy.
Last but by no means least, the NDP opposes the Keystone XL pipeline, meaning a Mulcair win could be the end of America's most tedious energy debate.

8) Who are the main candidates for prime minister?

The Conservatives are running the incumbent, Stephen Harper, who is also the only person to have ever been a Conservative Party of Canada candidate for prime minister. Throughout the 1990s, the Canadian right was divided between the more moderate Progressive Conservative Party and the more hard-right Reform (later Canadian Alliance) Party. Harper came up through the Reform ranks, but spearheaded a merger that involved moderating some of the party's stances.

The Liberals are running Justin Trudeau, whom you may feel like you dimly remember from the 1970s, but you are actually thinking of his father, Pierre Trudeau. Justin Trudeau is charismatic by the standards of Canadian politics, and has a strong family legacy to trade on, but he's considered a bit of a lightweight. He's young, and unlike many of his other colleagues in the Liberal Party he didn't serve in the last Liberal Cabinet that preceded Harper's first government. On the other hand, he is a very good-looking man.

The NDP's leader is Tom Mulcair, who has a beard befitting the leader of a historically marginalized left-wing party. His predecessor and the architect of the NDP's surge to become Canada's number-two party was Jack Layton, who had a mustache. Layton died in the summer of 2011 shortly after his electoral triumph, and it initially appeared that his departure from the scene would throw the party into chaos. Mulcair, however, has emerged as one of Canada's most popular politicians. Unlike the vast majority of his NDP parliamentary colleagues, Mulcair also has some practical experience in government, having served as environment minister of Quebec.

9) Who is going to win?

I sure do not know. Fortunately, Canada has its own version of Nate Silver, Éric Grenier, whose website is called ThreeHundredEight rather than FiveThirtyEight because there were 308 ridings at the time he founded it. According to Grenier's poll aggregation, if the election were held today, the NDP would secure 33 percent of the vote to 31 percent for the CPC to 26 percent for the Liberals.

But Canada uses a first-past-the-post system to elect members of Parliament (it's just like how we elect House members), so votes don't translate precisely into seats. Grenier says this would lead to a tie between the NDP and the CPC at 127 seats apiece, well short of the 170 needed for a majority. That could mean a minority government, or it could mean a coalition — most likely between the NDP and the Liberals.

Yet things could change a great deal between now and election day, especially because of tactical considerations. This is the first time in Canadian history that an NDP prime minister has looked like a plausible outcome, so current backers of the third-place Liberals may find themselves pushed to vote either for or against Mulcair. And, of course, we have yet to see the impact of tonight's debate or the soon-to-arrive barrage of Conservative ads.

* Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated why a long campaign plays to the Conservatives financial advantage.
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9109669/201 ... l-election
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Canada Election 2015

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Until recently, I didn't care much about Canadian politics, but this election has really captured my interest. The prospect of the first NDP government, what that, in addition to Sanders' surge in the US, suggests about the prospect of a Leftward shift in North America, and the chance to finally get rid of Prime Minister Harper's reign...

Which isn't to say I disagree with everything Harper has done. I support Canada's involvement in fighting IS, for example. However, I feel that the man has brought an ugly, Tea Party-style belligerence and nastiness to Canadian politics (just watch conservative attack adds) and I fear he has helped shift the dynamic of Canadian politics towards a much more aggressive, polarized, American style system. He needs to go.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ya, IMO Harper was alright when he was a minority leader as he still had the other parties to keep him in check. Since his majority though, things have been... interesting.

I call bullshit on his "war record". No new planes, tanks, helicopters or ships to speak of, despite billions being spent and our current fleet so ancient we have to raid museums for spare parts. And sure, he sent us over to combat ISIS... after gutting Veteran affairs and cutting the ammo budget by over 30%.
Last edited by Tribble on 2015-08-06 07:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Oh, I'm not saying that I think he's doing a good job of all aspects of running the military. Simply that the basic fact that we're fighting IS is something I approve of. And its not something I'm confident will continue without a conservative government. I don't have a source at the moment, but I seem to recall its something the NDP opposes.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

True, though to be fair the NDP was against going into Afghanistan, and well, we accomplished jack shit despite being there over a decade. Not sure if we are going to do any better in Iraq.

Of course, our military woes is just the tip of the iceberg with this government... which would you rather prefer? His "get rid of non-conservative voters" bill? His "arrest anyone for anything" bill? Or his total disregard and outright hostility to the scientific community, to the point of actually destroying their records to make sure no one gets a hold of them?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm not sure how the NDP could be against Afghanistan unless they're 911 Truthers.

I mean, better them than Harper, but I'm not sure that being rigidly, absolutely anti-war is a position a government of a country can responsibly hold.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

If I remember correctly they weren't against the mission initially, but they were against the two extensions, as we didn't appear to be accomplishing much.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm watching the debate between Harper, Trudeau, Mulcair, and May that's on right now.

I'm inclined to think that Trudeau and May seem to be giving the best showing in terms of style/personality. Mulcair coms off as a bullying charicature at times. Harper's a bit better, but there's a tone of smugness to his performance that is off-putting.

And how come the Quebec separatists don't warrant a spot in the debate but the Green Party does?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm watching the debate between Harper, Trudeau, Mulcair, and May that's on right now.

I'm inclined to think that Trudeau and May seem to be giving the best showing in terms of style/personality. Mulcair coms off as a bullying charicature at times. Harper's a bit better, but there's a tone of smugness to his performance that is off-putting.

And how come the Quebec separatists don't warrant a spot in the debate but the Green Party does?
The Bloc can't even get a majority of their home province to care about them these days and don't run a national platform. At least the greens care about issues effecting an entire nation.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fair enough, I guess.

Ugg, Trudeau's closing speech was so fake and cliche and sappy. Didn't feel genuine at all.

And did I mishear him or did Harper truly say that Israel is the only country that's existence is threatened (I'm basically paraphrasing this)? What about Iraq, and Syria, and the Ukraine? I mean, defend Israel if you want, but do you have to suck Netanyahu's cock that hard?
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Non-Canadian here. So, what are the chances that Labor and NDP will form a coalition to get rid of first-past-the-post? Supposedly they are both against it and want voting reform.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Their is no Labor Party here, or at least none of any significance (I suppose its possible that there's a Labor Party so small I don't know about them). The main parties are:

The Conservatives. Currently have the majority of Parliament, though polling suggests that may change soon. Policies are pretty much what the name suggests.

The Liberals. Traditionally the main opposition to the Conservatives, fairly centrist I guess, got crushed last election.

The NDP. Left wing party, seem to be doing pretty well this time around.

The Green Party. Not really a strong party, but they do have a token presence in Parliament.

The Bloc Quebecois. Quebec/French Canadian separatist party. Have shrunk to near-irrelevance lately.

Edit: If by Labour you mean the Liberals, I believe I recently read somewhere that they rejected the idea of a coalition.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Here's an article on the coalition issue:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015 ... ories.html
OTTAWA—Federal New Democrats say they’re open to forming a coalition government with their Liberal rivals to end Stephen Harper’s long hold on power but Justin Trudeau is pouring cold water on the pre-election jockeying.
Open policard for MayorJohn Tory

Should the Oct. 19 election produce a minority Conservative government, some opposition MPs are musing about joining together as a strategy to oust the Tories altogether.
NDP MP Nathan Cullen (Skeena–Bulkley Valley) said that while winning a majority remains his party’s goal, ultimately the number-one priority is toppling the Tories.
“The Liberal voters that I know are as fed up with Stephen Harper as anybody,” Cullen told The Canadian Press in an interview on Wednesday.
“But Justin Trudeau will do himself a great deal of damage with progressive voters if he wants to contemplate more years of this Harper government,” Cullen told the wire service.
At Toronto city hall Thursday, NDP MP Andrew Cash (Davenport), speaking to reporters after a meeting with Toronto Mayor John Tory (open John Tory's policard), did not shy from talk of an NDP-Liberal coalition.
“We have said and (NDP Leader) Tom Mulcair has been publicly clear on this issue — our job is to replace Stephen Harper. The people of Canada will decide what that configuration looks like, and we would be very open to a coalition if that’s the way in which the seats in the House of Commons shook down after Oct. 19.”
Mulcair himself said Thursday that the NDP’s priority is to “defeat and replace” Harper’s government.
“We’ve always worked with others in the past but every time I’ve raised this prospect with Justin Trudeau, he’s slammed the door on it,” Mulcair said during a swing through southwestern Ontario.
And indeed, that is what Trudeau did again Thursday.
“There are a number of issues on which the Liberal Party of Canada and the NDP disagree on quite a fundamental level,” Trudeau said during a stop in Winnipeg.
“Although of course we are open to working with all parties in the House to pass good legislation and to ensure Canadians’ interests are served, there will be no formal coalition with the NDP,” the Liberal leader told reporters.
Still, Trudeau’s willingness to working with other parties appears to leave the door open to the possibility of a loose NDP-Liberal alliance that could topple a minority Conservative party.
The prospect of a coalition government was last floated in the fall of 2008 when the New Democrats and Liberals banded together with the backing of the separatist Bloc Québécois in a bid to vote out the minority Conservatives, just months after the federal election.
But then Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean granted Harper’s request to prorogue Parliament, buying him time and putting off the vote that might have ended his government.
When Parliament returned months later, Michael Ignatieff, the newly crowned Liberal leader, rejected the coalition, saying it was not in the national interest.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Their is no Labor Party here, or at least none of any significance (I suppose its possible that there's a Labor Party so small I don't know about them).
I actually meant Liberal. I do know that much about Canada.

It is really sad if the Liberal Party can't at least form coalition with the NDP to get electoral reform and then call for a new election. Trudeau promised electoral reform recently, but from what I understand, he was previously against proportional representation. Is he just completely full of shit?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Trudeau's a wanker. I wanted to vote for the Liberals, but thanks to him and the NDP being the ones with the best shot at defeating Harper, I doubt I will.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

blahface wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Their is no Labor Party here, or at least none of any significance (I suppose its possible that there's a Labor Party so small I don't know about them).
I actually meant Liberal. I do know that much about Canada.

It is really sad if the Liberal Party can't at least form coalition with the NDP to get electoral reform and then call for a new election. Trudeau promised electoral reform recently, but from what I understand, he was previously against proportional representation. Is he just completely full of shit?
If nobody gets a majority but the NDP gets more seats than the Liberals there is a pretty good chance what they will do is offer to make a supply agreement for a certain amount of time based on a compromise budget and agree not to vote non-confidence for a time but not join in a coalition government but vote for or against the government on an issue by issue basis. There will be considerable pressure to get the Conservatives out of government if possible after the election, but they don't need a coalition to do that.

The current Liberal party platform is to move away from first past the post elections with them being open to a number of differenct systems but a preference towards preferential ballots. They're not for any system that breaks the process by which an MPs are no longer selected by individual ridings so straight PR is out for them.

Its important to understand that there are serious defects with a PR system in Canada. First, regionalism is a major factor which a PR system doesn't address well and there is a decent chance it would be deemed unconstitutional to have an electoral system that doesn't assign sets to particular provinces. Secondly, party leaders and the centralized party machinary already have excessive power, turning to a system were you get voted on from a party list would put another nail in the coffin of the notion that MPs are supposed to be anything but their party leaders trained seals. Proportional representation isn't a very practical or popular idea for Canadian federal politics.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Coop D'etat wrote: The current Liberal party platform is to move away from first past the post elections with them being open to a number of differenct systems but a preference towards preferential ballots. They're not for any system that breaks the process by which an MPs are no longer selected by individual ridings so straight PR is out for them.
It would serve the Liberal party more to either go for a Condorcet method or approval voting than preferential voting (Instant Runoff Voting). They are likely to get squeezed out under IRV.

Approval voting could have the effect of changing the nature of political parties. I could see them functioning more as glorified advocacy groups that just endorses candidates that agree with their platform. We could see a many-to-many relationship with the candidates and parties in which a party can endorse many candidates and a candidate can be endorsed by many parties.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Not only is there a Klingon candidate in Montreal, he's a dead Klingon candidate...

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I presume he's campaigning on a pro-war platform?

We will bomb ISIS for honour and glory!
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

If he were real he'd be dead, I don't think a deceased Klingon will be doing any campaigning.

Also, this. What can one say?

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

J wrote:Also, this. What can one say?

I'd vote for him. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Alright, so our election is tomorrow, place your bets now!

My prediction - due to a split vote between the NDP and Liberals (along with the Bloc Quebecois taking a few seats back from the NDP), Harper will win a minority.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

My prediction is a Liberal minority with the worst case being a coalition between the Liberals and the NDP to keep Harper out.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Until recently, I fully expected Stephen Harper to get another term. With only one right wing party and two left leaning parties (to varying degrees), the PC's just have to much of an advantage in the current Canadian election system.

Though recently, the NDP have been taking a dive in the polls, so the Liberals might actually have a chance this election.

I'm voting Liberal. I hope they win. But I still have a lingering suspicion that Harper will take this one too with a minority government.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Temjin wrote:Until recently, I fully expected Stephen Harper to get another term. With only one right wing party and two left leaning parties (to varying degrees), the PC's just have to much of an advantage in the current Canadian election system.

Though recently, the NDP have been taking a dive in the polls, so the Liberals might actually have a chance this election.

I'm voting Liberal. I hope they win. But I still have a lingering suspicion that Harper will take this one too with a minority government.
I don't think a minority Conservative government can happen. Even if he ends up winning a few more seats than the Liberals, he isn't going to have the confidence of the House and the Liberals and NDP will come together to unseat him from power. Best guess is a Liberal minority government with a negotiated NDP supply agreement.

At the end of the day, the top political priority of the bulk of the electorate is to remove Harper from power and they'd punish either of the Liberals or NDP if they don't do that if they have the chance.

That may not matter though, because the strategic vote is clearly lining up behind the Liberal party in the past two weeks which gives the Grits a very good chance of taking the popular vote and a pretty good chance of the most seats. I'd be very surprised if we don't see Prime Minister Trudeau the Younger in the near future.