A man drove into a crowd in Austria.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A man drove into a crowd in Austria.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33211479
At least three people are dead and dozens injured after a man drove his car into crowds in a square in the Austrian city of Graz.
The driver has been arrested but police have released no further details.
Part of the city has been sealed off and emergency services have launched a major operation.
Graz is Austria's second largest city and the square was hosting an event related to the nearby Austrian Formula 1 Grand Prix.
The regional governor confirmed that three people had died and 34 were injured, some seriously.
Governor Hermann Schuetzenhoefer told reporters that the suspect arrested was a 26-year-old man, describing him as "deranged".
"There is no explanation, there is no excuse," he added.
Police said initial investigations indicated the incident was not terror-related.
Sixty ambulances and four helicopters were sent to the scene.
Eyewitness Helmut Reinisch told the BBC he saw bodies lying on the ground "covered in blood," including a young boy.
He added that the car was travelling at least 100 km/h: "It was really horrible, everybody was shocked."
null
Police have sealed off the square
The city's mayor, Siegfried Nagl, was another a witness.
"The driver deliberately drove into pedestrians. I myself saw a woman being run over," he told Kleine Zeitung.
Another witness described a lucky escape.
"I was having cappuccino on the main square when people started screaming and then there was the loud noise coming from a car engine. I leapt to safety in a nearby arcade."
null
Authorities say 60 ambulances were sent to the scene
The Austrian Grand Prix takes place this weekend in Spielberg, and it is thought that many of the city's emergency services had been deployed there. Crowds had gathered in the square to take part in a Formula 1 related event.
There are unconfirmed reports that after crashing the man left the vehicle and attacked people with a knife.
null
Good God. What is wrong with these people?

My thoughts are with all involved and their friends and family.

Also, they seem to be pretty confident about it not being terrorism pretty quickly. I wonder what evidence they have for that conclusion.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: A man drove into a crowd in Austria.

Post by White Haven »

A lack of evidence that it is terror-related? Seriously, terrorism is a fucking RARE thing. You don't need evidence to prove something ISN'T terrorism, you need evidence indicate that it IS. If you don't have that evidence, then you don't think it's terrorism. If that evidence turns up, initially or later, then you break out the T-word.

Seriously, why the fuck is everyone's first thought always 'holy fuck it must/might be terrorists!'
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

White Haven wrote:Seriously, why the fuck is everyone's first thought always 'holy fuck it must/might be terrorists!'
Because terrorism is shocking and scary. And that sells.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

We've had a few tragic indidents in the US of senile drivers crashing into farmers markets or what not which amount to just crappy driving with no malice. This guy is twenty six so probably not that but you never know.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, they seem to be pretty confident about it not being terrorism pretty quickly. I wonder what evidence they have for that conclusion.
They describe him as, and I quote, "deranged". I'll grant you that the line between extremism and mental sickness can be quite fine, but jumping in your car and flooring it into a crowded pedestrian zone strikes me as an odd way to carry out a premeditated terrorist attack.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

White Haven wrote:A lack of evidence that it is terror-related? Seriously, terrorism is a fucking RARE thing. You don't need evidence to prove something ISN'T terrorism, you need evidence indicate that it IS. If you don't have that evidence, then you don't think it's terrorism. If that evidence turns up, initially or later, then you break out the T-word.

Seriously, why the fuck is everyone's first thought always 'holy fuck it must/might be terrorists!'
I would not want to assume that something is terrorism, but it happens frequently enough that I would consider the possibility seriously until it was proven otherwise.
Patroklos wrote:We've had a few tragic indidents in the US of senile drivers crashing into farmers markets or what not which amount to just crappy driving with no malice. This guy is twenty six so probably not that but you never know.
Sadly, this appears to have been a nut job deliberately ramming people, not a senile person.

More information:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e25048472/
A man apparently distraught over personal issues drove his SUV into a crowd in Austria’s second largest city Saturday, killing three people and injuring 34 others, three of them children, officials said.

Police in the city of Graz said six of those injured, including two children, were in serious condition. They said there were no indications of a terrorist attack, and the suspect was apparently distressed over personal problems when he targeted his victims.

The governor of the Styria province, Hermann Schuetzenhoefer, described the suspect as a 26-year-old Austrian truck driver who was “mentally disoriented” and acting alone. He was arrested shortly after the incident.

Police commander Josef Klamminger told reporters that the man had been under a restraining order keeping him from the home of his wife and two children since a domestic violence report against him was filed last month. He was being psychologically evaluated after his arrest.

State broadcaster ORF cited unnamed witnesses as saying the man apparently drove his vehicle at high speed into the crowd at random, sending several people crashing into the windshield and flying over the vehicle.

About 60 ambulances converged on the scene and the Austrian auto club sent four helicopters to bring the victims to hospitals. Witnesses quoted by Austrian media said they saw at least two bodies covered with blankets lying on a cordoned-off section of pavement.

By early evening, dozens of floral bouquets and lit candles were placed at the site. Mayor Siegfried Nagl ordered black flags of mourning flown from all municipal buildings and cancelled all street fests and other city events.
In short, it appears that the killer was subject to a restraining order because of domestic violence, lost it completely, and decided to take it out on a ground of innocent people. So not necessarily something you'd call terrorism, but not an accident either.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:In short, it appears that the killer was subject to a restraining order because of domestic violence, lost it completely, and decided to take it out on a ground of innocent people. So not necessarily something you'd call terrorism, but not an accident either.
Some sort of homicide, perhaps?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obviously. I'd say mass murder except that only a few people actually died.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Obviously. I'd say mass murder except that only a few people actually died.
According to the FBI it takes four or more people to be a mass murder. Now I'm not familiar with Austrian law but I think it could qualify if it seems like this guy was going for more than three.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaune wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, they seem to be pretty confident about it not being terrorism pretty quickly. I wonder what evidence they have for that conclusion.
They describe him as, and I quote, "deranged". I'll grant you that the line between extremism and mental sickness can be quite fine, but jumping in your car and flooring it into a crowded pedestrian zone strikes me as an odd way to carry out a premeditated terrorist attack.
I'm not sure we should jump to conclusions here.

Back when I lived and worked in Chicago there was more than one instance of car-drives-into-crowd, often exacerbated by limit avenues of escape for the pedestrians involved. Usually it involved a sudden incapacitation on the part of the driver, like heart attack, stroke, or seizure, very rarely was malice the cause.

If first responders arrive and the person behind the wheel is having a seizure well, yeah, medical reason. Same if the person is delirious or something.

NOTE: speculation, not a reporting of facts in this post. Awaiting more actual information before drawing a conclusion.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Broomstick wrote:
Zaune wrote:
I'm not sure we should jump to conclusions here.

Back when I lived and worked in Chicago there was more than one instance of car-drives-into-crowd, often exacerbated by limit avenues of escape for the pedestrians involved. Usually it involved a sudden incapacitation on the part of the driver, like heart attack, stroke, or seizure, very rarely was malice the cause.

If first responders arrive and the person behind the wheel is having a seizure well, yeah, medical reason. Same if the person is delirious or something.

NOTE: speculation, not a reporting of facts in this post. Awaiting more actual information before drawing a conclusion.
He spent several minutes trying to run over as many people as possible.
I think we can safely exclude any medical reason, other than "insanity."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

See, that's what I mean by "more information".

Although I don't think "homicidal" is automatically the same as "insane".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

AMX wrote: He spent several minutes trying to run over as many people as possible.
I think we can safely exclude any medical reason, other than "insanity."
he then got out and stabbed a few more. nice guy.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The almost bigger tragedy is that our resident Wannabe-Hitler (Strache) is trying to use this to further his "Throw all immigrants out" propaganda. Sad, and so predictable.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

LaCroix wrote:The almost bigger tragedy is that our resident Wannabe-Hitler (Strache) is trying to use this to further his "Throw all immigrants out" propaganda. Sad, and so predictable.
Eh? Wasn´t the driver Austrian?
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

salm wrote:
LaCroix wrote:The almost bigger tragedy is that our resident Wannabe-Hitler (Strache) is trying to use this to further his "Throw all immigrants out" propaganda. Sad, and so predictable.
Eh? Wasn´t the driver Austrian?
Naturalised Austrian, born in Bosnia.

Of course, he's been in the country since age 4, but that's meaningless for that sort of politician.