Germany wants to put Whistleblowers in jail

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Germany wants to put Whistleblowers in jail

Post by Thanas »

Source in German

I am fucking outraged.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Germany wants to put Whistleblowers in jail

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

As much as I had fun trying to navigate a website in German (who knew that "Drucken" was "print"? I mean, besides Thanas), any chance someone can find an English version of this? I am having a hard time finding one.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If I had found an english one, I would have posted it.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The translation software as usually gave a clunky result, but from what i was able to glean from the "Germlish" it looks like the government was trying to sneak in a provision to shut up whistleblowers? or was this more of a badly worded proposed law? Thanas' reaction would seem to imply the former.

Either way not good.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

From what little I could tell from the translation software, there are either A) whistleblowers and Whistleblowers(same as any country, shocker), or B) follow the damn rules of whistleblowing(same as any country, shocker), or C) both.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanks for sharing this, Thanas.

And frankly, this is not surprising at all. At first, when the NSA scandal started, I thought that Germany has its moment to shine: it could give asylum to Snowden, and it could investigate the NSA-BND breaches seriously. Instead, the investigation into this wiretapping was slowly put under the rug, and now whistleblowers are at risk.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Broomstick wrote:The translation software as usually gave a clunky result, but from what i was able to glean from the "Germlish" it looks like the government was trying to sneak in a provision to shut up whistleblowers? or was this more of a badly worded proposed law? Thanas' reaction would seem to imply the former.

Either way not good.
If one is charitable one could claim that they were simply trying to differentiate between whistleblowing and selling secrets to the enemy. But I am not charitable when it comes to this, and considering any investigation into what our secret service is doing in partnership with the NSA quietly got buried and Snowden's leak revealed that the NSA and the BND are like best buddies forever....yeah, I don't think this is an accident.
K. A. Pital wrote:And frankly, this is not surprising at all. At first, when the NSA scandal started, I thought that Germany has its moment to shine: it could give asylum to Snowden, and it could investigate the NSA-BND breaches seriously. Instead, the investigation into this wiretapping was slowly put under the rug, and now whistleblowers are at risk.
Any NSA investigation was done for the moment Spiegel reported that the BND gets 90% of its software/technology from the NSA and actually is a willing participant in data gathering. Because we all know Angela I likes to get her information and I strongly suspect that the BND started gathering this data as soon as our constitutional court outlawed these methods of data collection by the police.
------------
------------
My LPs
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

K. A. Pital wrote:investigate the NSA-BND breaches seriously
About that - Polish press reports that on recent G7 summit Merkel was explicitly told 'no' when she asked about no mutual spying agreement USA has with its closest allies, and also informed that NSA/BND data collection on everything, not just terrorism (read - corporate and political espionage) will proceed unchecked as before. Of course, no word of protest was said, it's not like German constitution has anything in it about protection of privacy, against unlawful imprisonment or killings.

Though I guess it's actually commendable Germany still has some press willing to investigate this. In central Europe, specifically Baltics, Romania and Poland, such investigation would be pretty much equal to treason (see the above 3 countries giving CIA torture bases and reactions to it for one). If it would proceed at all, seeing most press there is either foreign owned or captured by right wingers who would excuse even fucking concentration camps in their xenophobia.

With friends like these, why is Russia even a problem, again? :roll:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Irbis wrote:With friends like these, why is Russia even a problem, again? :roll:
Because they invaded Ukraine. Have you forgotten that? Nothing the USA has done to Europe is as worse as actually invading a country.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

It does not follow that post-Soviet wars, of which there had been already quite a few, are worse than actual erosion of civil liberties inside the EU. I would say the US actions are far more damaging to the EU itself and its member nations. The EU can defend itself quite easily even without the US, its member nations include nuclear powers. But can it keep civil liberties intact with the US? Unlikely.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

K. A. Pital wrote:It does not follow that post-Soviet wars, of which there had been already quite a few, are worse than actual erosion of civil liberties inside the EU.
One kills people, the other does not. I do think there is a bit of difference.
------------
------------
My LPs