Judge Rules U.S. Must Release Photos Of Prisoner Abuse

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Judge Rules U.S. Must Release Photos Of Prisoner Abuse

Post by Gandalf »

NPR wrote:A U.S. district judge ruled Friday that the U.S. must release photos of American soldiers inflicting abuse on prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The ruling is a victory for The American Civil Liberties Union, which filed a lawsuit against the government in 2004, seeking the release of the photos. The ACLU claimed the pictures revealed significant human rights violations, specifically at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

The government has been fighting the release of the pictures, claiming they could pose a threat to American military stationed overseas, as well as the U.S. government and its citizens.

In 2009, Congress passed a law that allowed the Department of Defense to block the release of the images if sufficient evidence proved it would endanger American lives. U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ruled the Defense Department failed to provide specific details of such a threat in this case.

The government has two months to appeal the ruling.

Some of the now-infamous photos include images of soldiers pointing guns at handcuffed prisoners in hoods, posing with a pyramid of naked detainees and holding a prisoner by a dog leash tied to his neck. But the AP reports there may be many more images.

"It's unclear how many more photographs may exist. The government has said it has 29 relevant pictures from at least seven different sites in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it's believed to have perhaps hundreds or thousands more."
In 2005, 11 military personnel were convicted in Army courts-martial for involvement in physical, sexual and psychological torture of prisoners at Abu Ghraib. Two of the soldiers, Charles Graner and Lynndie England, were seen in several of the photos, including the images with the dog leash and naked pyramid. Both served time in prison.

The New York Times reported in April of last year that the Iraqi government had closed the prison in Abu Ghraib and moved its approximately 2,400 prisoners to other locations.
Finally. Even though I doubt anything meaningful will come of it, it's a good thing.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Judge Rules U.S. Must Release Photos Of Prisoner Abuse

Post by Grumman »

The judge responsible is apparently Alvin Hellerstein. Good on him.

(Funnily enough, this is the second case of his that I'm familiar with - the first being the case around Fairey's "Hope" poster)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Good. Too bad that by now everybody involved has gone unpunished for so long (thanks, Obama), that any persecution would be seen as unjust by the populace.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Here is the ruling for anyone interested. I like that he called out the DoD on their "people having yet more evidence of American atrocities endangers Americans" excuse.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I wouldn't start holding my breath just yet. This will eventually go before SCOTUS and assuming they pick up the case (if they don't, then DoD loses but I doubt they would release the pictures even then) I have a feeling it will be a 5 to 4 decision siding with the DoD and state secrets bullshit.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw