If You Are Mentally Ill, American Police Will Kill You

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: If You Are Mentally Ill, American Police Will Kill You

Post by White Haven »

Simon Jester wrote:Just to restate this, the point is that the question "is this illegal" is actually two separate, related questions:
1) "What category does this act fall into," and
2) "Is that category of action against the law?"

Police, when deciding whether an order is illegal, are entitled to answer (1), but the courts and civilian politicians are supposed to answer (2) for them. Because you do NOT want your police force wandering around deciding that Action XYZ is illegal even if it violates no existing law on the books.
Two separate responses here. First, I agree with you, and that's good, because earlier you were issuing some blanket statements about officers never getting to decide that an action was illegal, and THAT was some noxious shit. If you're retracting that, fine, no further argument on that point.

To the latter point, however, I would argue that you very much do want your police force asking that question of themselves on a daily basis, with regards to their own actions. Now, the result may not be defying the order in the field, it may be questioning them in court or finding a new career instead, or it may well be, upon further research, saying 'yes, this is right and proper.' You very much do want them, and anyone else involved in the execution of the will of the state, asking 'should what I am being told to do to this person be legal?' when given orders which are questionable. I want my police force asking 'should I be executing this no-knock warrant?' and, if the answer is no, testifying to that effect after the fact the next time things come up in court, or maybe deciding that police work under the current legal regime isn't compatible with their ethics. I want the guards at a secret CIA prison asking themselves the same thing. I want the pilot of a transport aircraft delivering prisoners to Guantanamo Bay asking himself the same thing.

I don't necessary believe I'll like all the answers, but I damned well want the people who get tasked with carrying out orders like that asking themselves and others some hard questions. Things are only legal because one or more governments say they are, in the final examination. Who better to weigh in on the 'should' of an issue like that than the one who's been on the sharp end of carrying out legal-but-morally-questionable orders?
Kamikaze Sith wrote:Police use a matrix to determine what type of warrant will be requested. Basically, it's a list of questions that have a point value assigned to them. The result of these points determine if a raid is necessary, if SWAT will execute the raid, and if the warrant will be a knock or no knock.

The same information used to answer those questions is provided to the judge in a section detailing the threats and level of force being requested by the police. The judge then decides if it is reasonable based off of case law and then approves or rejects the request.

If it is approved as a no knock warrant then it will be likely be executed as such because the matrix recommended that level.

EDIT - To answer your question. The matrix makes the call.

EDIT 2 - I should add that this is how my department operates. I imagine others in Utah do but I can't speak for the entire nation.
Hmm. Would there be consequences to the officer overseeing the execution of the warrant if it were NOT executed in a no-knock manner, despite being obtained as such? It strikes me as an interesting window for someone with ethical qualms regarding no-knock warrants to actually do something about it, if not.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

White Haven wrote: Hmm. Would there be consequences to the officer overseeing the execution of the warrant if it were NOT executed in a no-knock manner, despite being obtained as such? It strikes me as an interesting window for someone with ethical qualms regarding no-knock warrants to actually do something about it, if not.
If anybody died then the consequences could be quite severe.

Anybody with ethical qualms should not join the drug unit or SWAT team. Frankly, that's one of the reasons I haven't join the SWAT team.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I presume you mean to say if any police died. Quite a number of police departments seem just fine with collateral damage from no-knock warrants, as long as it's not in a uniform.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:I already agreed that no-knock raids have been determined legal, so I don't see why Simon would use that as an example against me because I never said police can or must refuse orders based on moral grounds.
I use it as an example precisely because my point is that police can't refuse lawful orders based purely on moral grounds. Resign, yes. Lawfully disobey orders, no.

My original point was aimed at Jub, noting that if the public or the politicians want killer police, they can in fact do a lot to turn police into killers. And that's done through legal, normal processes of the chain of command.

So criticism of broad policies like the War on Drugs is rightly aimed at politicians and the public, who set those policies, not the police who carry them out.

As an addendum which I would think is obvious, the police are responsible for things that happen due to pure sloppiness, like raids against the wrong house, or shooting a dog that isn't threatening, or throwing a flashbang into a baby's crib.

The original topic of this thread, the way police handle the mentally ill, falls under both categories. Sometimes the police handle a mentally ill person badly because of bad policy, sometimes because of bad execution of a good policy.
And I've not seen him once agree that police must refuse an illegal order.
You weren't reading hard enough.
White Haven wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:Just to restate this, the point is that the question "is this illegal" is actually two separate, related questions:
1) "What category does this act fall into," and
2) "Is that category of action against the law?"

Police, when deciding whether an order is illegal, are entitled to answer (1), but the courts and civilian politicians are supposed to answer (2) for them. Because you do NOT want your police force wandering around deciding that Action XYZ is illegal even if it violates no existing law on the books.
Two separate responses here. First, I agree with you, and that's good, because earlier you were issuing some blanket statements about officers never getting to decide that an action was illegal, and THAT was some noxious shit. If you're retracting that, fine, no further argument on that point.
I wasn't retracting it, I was unclear. It didn't occur to me to unpack "is this illegal" into "what category is this" and "is this category illegal."

What I have literally been trying to say all along, and I think that my choice of examples and wording will support this, is that police don't get to decide which categories of actions are illegal. They only get to decide if this particular action they're about to undertake is one of those illegal actions.
To the latter point, however, I would argue that you very much do want your police force asking that question of themselves on a daily basis, with regards to their own actions...
Fair enough; I was restricting myself purely to the question of deciding "Do I want this to be illegal, y/n" about specific actions in the field. And my main reason for being averse to that is that I am very averse to having the functions of 'writing the law' and 'enforcing the law' get entangled with each other. People who enforce law should definitely be trying to restrict themselves, in their professional capacity, to complying with the laws that are on the books.

So I inadvertently made a general statement about a special case.

I have no specific disagreement with the rest of what you said after the passage I quoted.
I don't necessary believe I'll like all the answers, but I damned well want the people who get tasked with carrying out orders like that asking themselves and others some hard questions. Things are only legal because one or more governments say they are, in the final examination. Who better to weigh in on the 'should' of an issue like that than the one who's been on the sharp end of carrying out legal-but-morally-questionable orders?
So long as, while acting in their professional capacity, they restrict themselves to complying with and enforcing the laws that are actually on the books, I am content.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Flagg wrote:Oh bullshit. I've read everything your obtuse ignorant shitbrain has put down and you flatly said it would all have to be handled in a courtroom because police have to follow the orders of their superiors
The relevant posts that would support you thinking I or even any other person on the thread had said that... the only ones I can find are:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 4#p3886164 , by me
Nope, nothing in there that's relevant, except more insults about my mental illness and the thread right before Thanas told you and others (me included) to knock it off. So Lie.
Simon_Jester wrote:]And you can say "that's the 'just following orders' defense." Thing is, it really isn't. Civil servants and law enforcement and bureaucracies in a democratic society are supposed to do as they are told by elected politicians. That's part of the point- the police are ultimately accountable to people who are in turn nominally accountable to the voters.
Really? I didn't see any there, but that one above is priceless since it's exactly what I said you said. Bad boy, Simon.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Priceless. Again, saying EXACTLY what I accused him of saying!
Civil servants in general don't have the power to determine if a policy(what most standing orders are) is illegal. That takes something like a judge or a new executive. Yes, you talk about police, yes you say orders, but what causes most of the arguments on this forum is actually a departments policy on how an officer can or must act if a situation of a certain nature arises. An officer, your civil servant, doesn't have the power to argue with that. It takes your lawyers taking that to court, or having a new high ranking representative elected. The best example here would be NYPD's stop-and-frisk policy and its current drama, although to my knowledge that's still being fought out.

Another example for policy and how it actually got struck down for the civil servants is the ACA(something of a red herring to police force arguments). Birth Control distribution was buried in the HHS policy instead of the law, so SCOTUS functionally ruled that freedom of religion law overruled the HHS policy. Literally illustrates what I'm trying to say above.
I dunno what that bullshit about the ACA has to do with Police being forbidden from following orders, but I lolled.
Gaidin wrote:
Flagg wrote: If civil servants whose specialty is law enforcement or the criminal court system aren't trained in the in the complexities of the law, then who the fuck is? But I feel like we're talking past each other. And courts are used for taking care of criminal matters after they take place, as opposed to stopping them while they are occurring or preferably before that, hence my "You do not follow illegal orders" argument.
Law enforcement officers have their policies spelled out to them. They're not lawyers. This is why good god the damn ACLU, you know, a group of lawyers, is fighting certain things that interests it.
I'll just put that there...
Now, where exactly am I saying what you think I say?
In almost every post you yourself linked to?
Gaidin and I have both repeatedly stated that police officers have grounds (and a duty) to refuse illegal orders.
NO YOU HAVE NOT YOU LIAR!
Every single post by you in this thread on the subject of whether police (not military, but POLICE) have a duty to refuse to carry out illegal orders has been that they CANNOT!
We have also both stated that police officers do not get to decide on their own initiative what actions are and are not illegal. That decision is made by courts.
Never disagreed on that, I don't recall if I even responded to that since it's so obviously fucking true. I any case, irrelevant. You're a liar.
Often, the court decision is made and then has to be followed by the police. The number of Supreme Court rulings that affect protocol in a police stop, a police arrest, or a police search is more than I can easily count.

But if the courts have ruled that doing a thing is legal, then an officer's duty to refuse an illegal order does not apply. It simply is not relevant.

For example, it doesn't matter whether you think no-knock warrants are illegal, if the courts don't agree with you. You can't refuse an order to carry one out by claiming that it is illegal... because it isn't.

That is my position. I think it's quite simple. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? Why do you keep raving about how I think police aren't allowed to refuse illegal orders?
Because you've said so. In the very posts you linked to in the thread I'm responding to. The rest of this is nonsense I've never brought up or really responded to because it's obvious. Just as obvious that you, Simon_Jester, are a confirmed liar and this is the thread that does it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:I'm not arguing that it would cost more than the US now spends. I'm arguing that it requires prioritization.

Police are going to try to spend money on whatever they get money to do, and whatever their political masters tell them to do.

<snip>

And you can say "that's the 'just following orders' defense." Thing is, it really isn't. Civil servants and law enforcement and bureaucracies in a democratic society are supposed to do as they are told by elected politicians. That's part of the point- the police are ultimately accountable to people who are in turn nominally accountable to the voters.
I snipped some of this because it all boils down to a few simple questions. How much power do police forces have to influence policy? How complicit are they in their militarization and the expansion of their powers at the expense of alienating civilians? How much of this is politicians and police chiefs/union heads all being in bed together and how much is the government dragging police forces kicking and screaming into more power and better equipment?

From my point of view police forces shouldn't be beholden to the whims of city hall and should instead stand separate with much higher level oversight like we see in other nations. This means that it's harder for a local cop to play buddy buddy with some tough on crime mayor and get away with running tent city prisons that wouldn't pass muster as a POW camp. It means that people removed from a situation can take a rational look at things and hopefully make sound policy rather than knee jerking to a hot button issue. Basically my point of view is that the US does things ass backwards with regards to state and city rights and that it makes everybody look bad from the bottom on up regardless of why this is the case.
It is also not the place of civil servants and public employees to publicly condemn elected officials that are their bosses and set policy agendas.
Yes it is. It's everybody's job to speak their mind about bad policies. I have and will continue to look my boss in the eye and tell them when they're making a mistake with regards to what I've been asked to do. It's cost me a few jobs, but ultimately it allows me to stick to my principles. I don't want anybody less righteous than myself in charge of the police.
Generally, when a police chief comes out on the record as saying "this elected politician's actions are stupid," that police chief is going to be in very serious professional trouble and may have just sunk their career. And there are good reasons for that- again, you really don't want the bureaucracy becoming insubordinate to the political leadership.

The drawback is, of course, that it encourages the people running police departments to be even more amenable to militarization, gives them little choice in any event, and does nothing to restrain politicians who want to make things worse for ideological reasons.
You do when the leadership is as pants on head retarded as is the case in the US with the war of Drugs and the tough on crime polices that lead to minorities in New York being stopped and frisked at insane rates. Politicians and public officials need to stop thinking of their positions as long term careers and need to go back to doing the right thing and fighting for change at the expense of their job security.

Bullshit. The risk of being killed as a policeman is far higher than that if you are attacked with deadly force. The risk of being severely injured is higher still, as is the risk of being killed if you do not act to defend yourself.

A lot of policemen get stabbed and don't die, I imagine. That doesn't mean the are or should be expected to stand there as knife target practice dummies just because it's horrifying to imagine the police killing someone who is trying to murder them with a knife.

Let's be intellectually honest here and make a distinction between police actually protecting themselves against real violence, and police overreacting randomly and then trying to pretend nothing went wrong.
One feeds the other. If police training and police encouraged less aggression towards criminals and a more stand off and wait and see approach like other police forces around the world use we'd likely see less dead/wounded police officers, less dead/wounded criminals, and less dead/wounded civilians for very little cost in on the street effectiveness. Instead of approaching an uncooperative suspect police officers should give them space and try to talk them down, instead of running single officer patrols all patrols should have two officers one to interact with the suspect/civilian and the other do observe and cover their partner, issuing less raids in general be they of the knock or no-knock kind. It doesn't take a large change in attitudes and tactics to get better results.
So basically, you're saying that this is an occupation where you should not be allowed to defend yourself in certain ways because it's better to have attritional casualties among the police.
I'm saying that officers should, as a rule, be less aggressive and place themselves at less risk to start. Simple things like keeping a greater distance between officers and uncooperative people or showing a greater willingness to let things standoff a while and call for backup instead of going in and tackling a suspect who doesn't seem to be an immediate threat could place less officers in a bad place to start with. It won't eliminate cases of people without weapons being killed, but it would be a good start.
In this case, there is rousing debate over what "fixing this" would even mean, which is precisely why there is no unified national will on the subject. You may think you know everything that matters about this debate. But if you want to have meaningful opinions about a democracy, you have to accept that other people get to vote too.

And refusing to acknowledge that they do vote and do reject certain actions is just... blind stupidity.
I'm sorry, if the citizenry of the US refuses to see logic frankly they can get bent. It's easy to prove that social safety nets and less militarized police are a good thing. Any pandering about socialism and seeing Europe as weak is fucking stupid and people that feel this way and vote against their own interests shouldn't have a say in running anything let alone one of the more powerful countries in the world.

I don't live in the US partly because I wasn't born there, but also because it is on balance a worse place to live than Canada. This is partly due to having such a massive conservative base. If I could easily move to a far more left leaning place, maybe Denmark or the Netherlands I would do so because they are better places than Canada. Not being able to do so I vote on the side of political freedoms, less police powers, and larger social safety nets and expect that other people with the good of all in mind should do the same.
I mean, you're basically saying "screw the electorate, I have convictions!" Which is exactly the opposite of what you do in a democracy you want to function.
My convictions are grounded in logic rather than fear of communism and thus should carry more weight than the mass of mouth breathers the US calls an electorate. Sure it's not practical and going down the path of voter restrictions is madness, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for something better than a system that can't make up its mind about anything and is demonstrably ruining the US.
Realizing that he's talking about who shoots at police... do you really expect him to be unable to provide?
Show me what percentage of police interactions end in violence and we'll see why police should be less afraid of the populace.
On the contrary- because police deal with the career criminals and violent elements of the underclass every day. That's literally their job.
It's a part of their job, not the whole job. More police respond to situations dealing with average joes having a bad day than deal with career criminals. This is a fact and frankly doesn't need proving beyond pointing out that the average person isn't a career criminal ergo the average police interaction won't be with a career criminal.
When you routinely stop people because you think they're drug couriers, yes you have to worry that this particular drug courier is high and carrying a gun. Because a considerable number of drug couriers are high and do carry guns, whether it's legal for them to do so or not.
Show me what fraction of calls involve armed criminals and devolve into violent situations versus calls where this is not the case, or concede that violence is a small part of the average officer's career.
You propose to make the penalty for illegal gun possession so bad that it'd scare a hardened criminal. One who already expects to ultimately end up in prison for years at a time just as a consequence of their choice of career. Exactly how is that going to work?
It's going to work because the guy that did the crime with a gun is going to jail forever where as the guy who used something less deadly will be out in 5 to 10 years. You make it known that guys that don't use guns get off lighter and suddenly it's a smarter move to commit crimes with a knife or a bat rather than a gun. It's not about up the punishment unilaterally, but to up the punishment so as to encourage a crime with less potential for harm.
So why do you assume that 1000 police killings equals 1000 unjust killings or whatever?
Why do you assume they don't? I choose not to give US cops the benefit of the doubt and thus they need to prove themselves to be good. You see them as being good and expect that it must be shown that they are bad.
If we can't know how many of those people actually credibly threatened a policeman or civilian, how can we possibly know whether or not the police were just 'trigger-happy' in deciding to kill them?
Hence my calls for transparency and greater access to numbers for things like this, do pay attention Simon.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Jub wrote: Fixing social services would be an excellent and admirable start, but I still wonder if reducing gun ownership as played up as a way to keep the heroic police safer might play okay in some political circles.
You would need to reduce guns across the entire nation in order for that to work. Thus, you run into problems with individual state government that would want nothing to do with your gun control schemes.
I was specifically comparing deaths to deaths, if we look at those handled by police in a way that would be deemed assault if not for the badge the numbers start to tilt back away from the favor of the police again. In any case, when compared with police in other nations with comparable wealth per capita, population density, and crime rates the US doesn't come off especially well but even I'll admit that there are factors at play here that mean it isn't US cops bad, other cops good.
What do you mean deemed assault if not for the badge?

The US doesn't come off well when you compare violent crime rates against nations with those same attributes.
Expecting compliance from the drunk, the high, and the mentally ill isn't realistic. Hell we've seen cases where a person just insisting the police explain the situation to them in a vigorous fashion was treated as a threat, so I don't think citizens should have to bow down to cops. That's not how it works in most other western nations. I don't have to fear the police in Canada and rigidly follow strict protocols with them because they're more reasonable and less twitchy. In the US I'd be afraid to seek out an officer for help given the horror stories.
No, expecting compliance from those individuals isn't realistic. That's why we use different levels of force to bring someone into compliance and complying isn't bowing down. It's following the law. To reiterate being brought into compliance can be as simple as a guiding hand and further verbal instructions to sit down.

Are you saying that in Canada if a police officer has told you to sit down you can ignore it without consequence?

You're only afraid because you are being irrational. Especially now considering the statistics I've provided to you. If you get stopped by police there is a 1.4% chance that force will be used against you and I have a feeling that chance increases greatly when you fail to follow multiple simple instructions. So, really the chance of a scary encounter with a police officer is quite tiny.
Unless I've been doing nothing wrong and the police stop me. I could easily turn to ask a question instead of immediately complying and that should be allowed. Unless I'm an immediate threat police should not be ordering me to the ground and to keep my hands where they can see them, they should be asking me if I'd be willing to stop and speak with them and evaluating things based on my response. Given that most of the people an officer will deal with are innocent expecting complete control over a situation and demanding 10% compliance with anything you say is stupid. Expecting compliance with demands that degrade an innocent person is not something that I feel should be expected or encouraged by a police force working in a free society.
A question or two is expected and dealt with 99% of the time without violence. Usually before the use of force we follow this guideline; Ask, Tell, Make. Now depending on the nature of the crime how those are presented can be different. For example, if for some reason you're pointed out as the suspect in a robbery with a firearm then you'll be asked to lie on the ground at gunpoint. If you fail to comply you will be told to lie down or you'll be tased, have a dog sent on you, hit with a beanbag, etc. Quickly reaching for your waistband could get you shot. So, in those cases compliance isn't just required by law it is for your safety and that of the officers.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

can a mod please tell Flagg to shut the fuck up because I am tired of reading his bullshit.

Seriously. I know it plays into the whole American Cops are murders narrative that people like but I am sick of scrolling through half page posts are paranoid shit and random bolding and underline.

And can we get the fucking title changed. If people bitching about POW vs. hostage is allowed this bullshit is fucking intolerable.

Otherwise, fuck you all.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Jub wrote: I was specifically comparing deaths to deaths, if we look at those handled by police in a way that would be deemed assault if not for the badge the numbers start to tilt back away from the favor of the police again. In any case, when compared with police in other nations with comparable wealth per capita, population density, and crime rates the US doesn't come off especially well but even I'll admit that there are factors at play here that mean it isn't US cops bad, other cops good.
He means that if you weren't a police officer, drawing a pistol and saying "Do what I tell you to do or I will shoot you" could be charged as assault.

And hilariously, the entire argument is moot anyway, as the Supreme Court recently ruled that there's no real consequence for stopping someone for not-a-crime, aka "acting illegally". That they effectively threw out the Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine in the process has so far not been commented on.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Jub wrote: I was specifically comparing deaths to deaths, if we look at those handled by police in a way that would be deemed assault if not for the badge the numbers start to tilt back away from the favor of the police again. In any case, when compared with police in other nations with comparable wealth per capita, population density, and crime rates the US doesn't come off especially well but even I'll admit that there are factors at play here that mean it isn't US cops bad, other cops good.
He means that if you weren't a police officer, drawing a pistol and saying "Do what I tell you to do or I will shoot you" could be charged as assault.

And hilariously, the entire argument is moot anyway, as the Supreme Court recently ruled that there's no real consequence for stopping someone for not-a-crime, aka "acting illegally". That they effectively threw out the Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine in the process has so far not been commented on.
Actually I think that's kidnapping, isn't it KS?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

For it to be kidnapping, you'd have to take them somewhere.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:For it to be kidnapping, you'd have to take them somewhere.
True, but IIRC there's like something in between, but it depends on the state. Anyway this is a tangent that has nothing to do with the thread so it shall be dropped. 8) :wink:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg is (again) massively misconstruing my posts. And he has ignored me saying in at least three places that police have a duty to refuse illegal orders, so that he can repeat his assertion that I said the opposite.

Given that I can explain myself repeatedly, pointing to textual evidence from my posts that contradicts his interpretation of them, and all that happens is he calls me a liar in a new color of boldface underlining, I don't see much point in justifying myself to him.

As far as I'm concerned, he has now failed the Turing test, and is to be regarded as a sort of biological chatbot...
Jub wrote:I snipped some of this because it all boils down to a few simple questions. How much power do police forces have to influence policy? How complicit are they in their militarization and the expansion of their powers at the expense of alienating civilians? How much of this is politicians and police chiefs/union heads all being in bed together and how much is the government dragging police forces kicking and screaming into more power and better equipment?
There's a fair degree of collusion, and I don't disagree that the reforms you suggest would be wise.

I will note that the US's basic federal structure is what causes this kind of division of jurisdiction and authority... and the main reason for that is that the US hasn't had a true constitutional crisis since at least the 1860s and arguably since the 1780s. There has been no need to restructure the basic nature of the government, and the American constitution lacks the means to do so easily. Therefore, it is by design about as decentralized as a federal nation-state can be and still (sort of) function.
It is also not the place of civil servants and public employees to publicly condemn elected officials that are their bosses and set policy agendas.
Yes it is. It's everybody's job to speak their mind about bad policies. I have and will continue to look my boss in the eye and tell them when they're making a mistake with regards to what I've been asked to do. It's cost me a few jobs, but ultimately it allows me to stick to my principles. I don't want anybody less righteous than myself in charge of the police.
Did you miss the word 'publicly?'

It may be (preferably is) my place to tell my boss he's making a mistake. It is not my place to go to the media and denounce my boss's incompetence. The word for that is "insubordinate," and large organizations justly fire people who are persistently insubordinate.

Because a large, organized thing like a government doesn't work if employees are willfully stirring up scandals every time they disagree with organization policy. It's one thing to blow the whistle on illegal conduct; it's another to try to blow it on legal conduct just because you disagree with your boss for political or personal reasons.

Also, when it's a civil servant doing this to a politician, a whole new spectrum of issues can arise. For example, a civil servant might denounce his elected superiors in an attempt to lay groundwork for his own attempt to seek public office. This violates the basic purpose of having a civil service, which is that it is neutral in political affairs.
You do when the leadership is as pants on head retarded as is the case in the US with the war of Drugs and the tough on crime polices that lead to minorities in New York being stopped and frisked at insane rates. Politicians and public officials need to stop thinking of their positions as long term careers and need to go back to doing the right thing and fighting for change at the expense of their job security.
The problem is that many voters disagree on what "doing the right thing" is and what changes should be fought for. People who lived through the '70s and '80s in New York, for example, are likely to be very strongly anti-crime because they remember a time when the fear of criminals paralyzed the city. It's not nearly as bad nowadays, but people who experienced that are likely to give far more of a free hand to police who claim to be 'fighting crime,' by whatever means.

Not everyone shares your priorities, and it takes a very extended debate to settle any such political question, even when you're right.

Since we do not and cannot easily have true agreement about what the 'right thing' is in politics, we fall back on the idea of constitutional and systematic checks and balances. One of those balances is that the civil service is supposed to remain politically neutral, and allows itself to be directed by politicians and voters, rather than resisting them.

Which is why, even when you think you're right, you are wise to respect things like parliamentary procedure and the relationship between politicians and bureaucrats. Having these mechanisms continue to work no matter who is in charge is a necessary part of making sure the system continues to work as a whole.
One feeds the other. If police training and police encouraged less aggression towards criminals and a more stand off and wait and see approach like other police forces around the world use we'd likely see less dead/wounded police officers, less dead/wounded criminals, and less dead/wounded civilians for very little cost in on the street effectiveness. Instead of approaching an uncooperative suspect police officers should give them space and try to talk them down, instead of running single officer patrols all patrols should have two officers one to interact with the suspect/civilian and the other do observe and cover their partner, issuing less raids in general be they of the knock or no-knock kind. It doesn't take a large change in attitudes and tactics to get better results.
My point is not so much that this is wrong, it's that when you come out and say "police should accept higher risk to themselves and be more courageous about that," you come across as totally indifferent to the health and survival of policemen. That sort of thing badly undermines your argument, because it makes you look as though you're not paying attention to the realities on the ground.
In this case, there is rousing debate over what "fixing this" would even mean, which is precisely why there is no unified national will on the subject. You may think you know everything that matters about this debate. But if you want to have meaningful opinions about a democracy, you have to accept that other people get to vote too.

And refusing to acknowledge that they do vote and do reject certain actions is just... blind stupidity.
I'm sorry, if the citizenry of the US refuses to see logic frankly they can get bent. It's easy to prove that social safety nets and less militarized police are a good thing. Any pandering about socialism and seeing Europe as weak is fucking stupid and people that feel this way and vote against their own interests shouldn't have a say in running anything let alone one of the more powerful countries in the world...
And at this point you've basically given up having any real claim to a serious position on the issue, in my opinion.

To give an example, nobody would take me seriously as an authority on the politics of Syria and what Syrians should do if I said "Syrians are so stupid, they can go fuck themselves." Because in that case, my way of understanding other humans is to emote about how they are clearly too stupid to make obvious choices that I would (supposedly) make in their shoes.

And given that this is so, the odds of my having accurate, logical opinions about these foreign groups I'm so emotional and hostile towards are... not good.
I mean, you're basically saying "screw the electorate, I have convictions!" Which is exactly the opposite of what you do in a democracy you want to function.
My convictions are grounded in logic rather than fear of communism and thus should carry more weight than the mass of mouth breathers the US calls an electorate. Sure it's not practical and going down the path of voter restrictions is madness, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for something better than a system that can't make up its mind about anything and is demonstrably ruining the US.
And again, once you've come out and said "I don't respect the voters' right to decide what kind of country they want to live in," you really have cut yourself off from the shared circle of meaningful political discussion.

Last note:
You propose to make the penalty for illegal gun possession so bad that it'd scare a hardened criminal. One who already expects to ultimately end up in prison for years at a time just as a consequence of their choice of career. Exactly how is that going to work?
It's going to work because the guy that did the crime with a gun is going to jail forever where as the guy who used something less deadly will be out in 5 to 10 years. You make it known that guys that don't use guns get off lighter and suddenly it's a smarter move to commit crimes with a knife or a bat rather than a gun. It's not about up the punishment unilaterally, but to up the punishment so as to encourage a crime with less potential for harm.
And you base your conviction that this will work on, what, pure theory? I mean, where's your evidence? Do you have extensive knowledge of criminal psychology?

This strategy would work if criminals were homo economicus and viewed a ten year jail sentence as twice as bad as a five year one. But in real life, criminals are often prone to irrationality, hyperbolic discounting, and so on. If they weren't, they would not be criminals in the first place! Because they wouldn't be dumb enough to get into a line of 'work' that pays so little and has such high risks.

But you're now assuming criminals are extremely logical and will refrain from doing something that could get them in more trouble. When by definition, criminals are almost sure to be illogical people who deliberately do things they know will get them in more trouble.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Flagg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:I find that rather insulting to the member of my Uncle Bill who spent nearly 20 years in Internal Affairs going after bad cops and bringing them to justice (as well as clearing the names of good cops accused of wrong-doing).

Cops are not clones. Like any other large group of people there are good ones and bad ones. Why is it impossible to discuss dealing with the bad without shitting on the good?
Yeah, we're talking about the modern police. And you might want to ask Uncle Bill about how great a time he had at work in those 20 years.

And I know there are good cops, I've never denied it. What I've said repeatedly is that those cops who participate in the Blue Wall of Silence are at best obstructing justice and at worst are part of a conspiracy to protect bad cops. I also mentioned how a great way to combat this would be to kneecap the police unions.

So basically everyone who chose to be offended by one or 2 sentences over several posts while ignoring the actual substance can eat me. Twice on Fridays.
If it's the blue wall of silence you are railing at, you should have titled this thread "Get killed by the police, and no-one cares". It's equally as clickbaitish but a lot more accurate.

Also, I'd like to not something which seems to be a misconception in this thread. Ǥuns are legal in the UK. I have a neighbour who goes clay pigeon shooting and I regularly go walking in a landscape specifically designed for grouse shooting. You just need a licence.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

jwl wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:I find that rather insulting to the member of my Uncle Bill who spent nearly 20 years in Internal Affairs going after bad cops and bringing them to justice (as well as clearing the names of good cops accused of wrong-doing).

Cops are not clones. Like any other large group of people there are good ones and bad ones. Why is it impossible to discuss dealing with the bad without shitting on the good?
Yeah, we're talking about the modern police. And you might want to ask Uncle Bill about how great a time he had at work in those 20 years.

And I know there are good cops, I've never denied it. What I've said repeatedly is that those cops who participate in the Blue Wall of Silence are at best obstructing justice and at worst are part of a conspiracy to protect bad cops. I also mentioned how a great way to combat this would be to kneecap the police unions.

So basically everyone who chose to be offended by one or 2 sentences over several posts while ignoring the actual substance can eat me. Twice on Fridays.
If it's the blue wall of silence you are railing at, you should have titled this thread "Get killed by the police, and no-one cares". It's equally as clickbaitish but a lot more accurate.

Also, I'd like to not something which seems to be a misconception in this thread. Ǥuns are legal in the UK. I have a neighbour who goes clay pigeon shooting and I regularly go walking in a landscape specifically designed for grouse shooting. You just need a licence.
DA made the thread and thus titled it, you moron.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Flagg wrote:DA made the thread and thus titled it, you moron.
You're right, so he did.

Never mind me then.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

And again:

The majority of homeless men are struggling with severe depression, mental illness, and the everyday physical/emotional effects of living a hard life on the streets. This man was no different, and at least one resident of the area, Ina Murphy, claimed that "Africa" had told her that "he had recently been released after spending 10 years in a mental facility."
Excerpts from the same article:
He resisted arrest.

The Taser didn't work.

He went for the officer's weapon.

We feared for our lives.

Some variation/iteration of these four statements are made every time police in the United States shoot and kill someone—now occuring an average of over three times per day.

The bottom line is this: Police in America are shooting and killing people at an outrageously alarming rate. While the United Kingdom averages less than one fatal police shooting per year, the United States averages three per day, and small towns like Pasco, Washington, with just 59,000 residents, outpace the police shootings of nations with 60 million people, causing publications like The Economist to just flat out call American police "trigger happy."

Other nations have mentally ill people.

Other nations have homeless people.

Other nations have encounters that require police to confront people and arrest them, but police in other countries somehow figure out how to leave those encounters without shooting people to death.

Our police either don't care to find non-violent or non-lethal ways of de-escalating conflicts or just flat out don't know how.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/0 ... n-policing

I stand by my thread title. American police will happily shoot people, especially mentally ill people, in situations where other 1st world nation's police wouldn't. So I'll say it again:

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Dominus Atheos wrote:

I stand by my thread title. American police will happily shoot people, especially mentally ill people, in situations where other 1st world nation's police wouldn't. So I'll say it again:

I take it you can provide us with an example involving another 1st world country police struggling over a firearm? Just to be clear. I expect you to provide this evidence or concede your remark here.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

1. Most other first world police forces don't carry firearms, with this exact situation being one of the primary reasons why.

2. Tasers. You can hear a taser going off at the exact time the shots ring out, so at least one police officer handled the situation well.

3. You are assuming that the man was actually going for the officer's gun, rather than that just being something (certain individual "bad apple") police yell as an excuse to abuse someone, and then another officer taking the statement seriously.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Dominus Atheos wrote:1. Most other first world police forces don't carry firearms, with this exact situation being one of the primary reasons why.
I'm gonna have to ask for a citation to support this. Some, yes. Most, I sincerely doubt it.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

After looking it up, it seems you are correct. Britain, Norway, New Zealand, Japan, Ireland, Iceland, and French Municipal police are not armed, but all other countries and French national police are.

I apologize for the factual inaccuracy, and withdraw the statement.

I also withdraw the 3rd statement. The police chief held a news conference and says that the gun in question was damaged as if in a struggle*, although there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the gun ever left the holster. You can see the strap that will hold the gun in place specifically to prevent someone besides the officer from drawing it.

Regardless, it seems that at no point were any of the officers in danger, and by the time the shots are fired, all policeman are clear and the gun must be still in the holster, so the man was definitely unarmed when the shots were fired.

*On the other hand, it's the LAPD. I'm amazed that a man with 4 people dog-piling on him managed to do that much damage to the weapon from that angle and with just one hand. Although it's not impossible.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:

I take it you can provide us with an example involving another 1st world country police struggling over a firearm? Just to be clear. I expect you to provide this evidence or concede your remark here.
Austria? http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/ ... /128537964
They struggled, he got the gun, fired it a few times during multiple attempts to take it off him in a foot pursuit, hitting nobody, and ran away - he got arrested later. (Not shot. Arrested.)
Or Swizerland? http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/zuerich/story/12736783
Man tried to get a gun, 2 officers (one of them female) wrestled with him, he got arrested. (Again. Not shot.)
Germany? http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article1 ... eisst.html
Man grabs gun, starts shooting. Only after he fired multiple shots, wounding two officers still trying to disarm him, a third officer shot back. Once. There is a criminal investigation pending, if the officers are to blame.

Edit:

Cases in english were harder to find, since the LAPD case is spamming the net...
Japan: http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/vi ... ooting-him
UK: http://www.midulstermail.co.uk/news/loc ... -1-6355016
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One question that occurs to me:

We can assuredly find cases where a suspect goes for a police officer's gun, both in the US and in other countries.

We can find cases in other countries where the suspect was subdued despite trying to (or succeeding at) taking the gun.

We can find cases in the US where the suspect was shot dead.

The question is, what about the other way around? Are there cases in the US where the suspect goes for a gun and is successfully restrained? I'd bet money on it.

And if there are not cases in other countries where a suspect goes for a gun and gets shot I'd be amazed. I'd practially think those other police must have some kind of secret martial art for stopping people who try to grab a gun from you.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

LaCroix wrote: Austria? http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/ ... /128537964
They struggled, he got the gun, fired it a few times during multiple attempts to take it off him in a foot pursuit, hitting nobody, and ran away - he got arrested later. (Not shot. Arrested.)
Very fortunate. This could be a story about multiple dead police officers.

Grand Forks, ND
Man tries to disarm police officer. Arrested.
Or Swizerland? http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/zuerich/story/12736783
Man tried to get a gun, 2 officers (one of them female) wrestled with him, he got arrested. (Again. Not shot.)
Chicago
Man tries to disarm police officer. Arrested.
Germany? http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article1 ... eisst.html
Man grabs gun, starts shooting. Only after he fired multiple shots, wounding two officers still trying to disarm him, a third officer shot back. Once. There is a criminal investigation pending, if the officers are to blame.
Not sure how you can blame the German officers for the actions of others. By the way that officer only needed to shoot back once because that first shot was obviously fatal. Had one of them shot him before he was able to successfully take the firearm those two officers would be unharmed. They're lucky to be alive.
Cases in english were harder to find, since the LAPD case is spamming the net...
Japan: http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/vi ... ooting-him
Again, lucky to be alive.
Another story from Chicago
Man takes officers gun. Tries to murder them. Is arrested. Fortunately, the magazine fell out when he attempted to murder them and was unable to continue firing.

My point here is that a struggle over a firearms is no joke. If you're disarmed then you then you could be completely at that persons mercy. In the academy we were told that in all instances where police were disarmed they were murdered with their own weapon 80% of the time. Feel free to disregard this statement as I am unable to find a source.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: My point here is that a struggle over a firearms is no joke. If you're disarmed then you then you could be completely at that persons mercy. In the academy we were told that in all instances where police were disarmed they were murdered with their own weapon 80% of the time. Feel free to disregard this statement as I am unable to find a source.
Don't shift the goalposts...

You wanted proof that in other 1st world countries, people try to get the cop firearms (and maybe, not sure - that they don't get shot for it)

In the whole german speaking area (~100million people) we had 3 such occurrences, and only one got shot for it, after hurting officers. Others didn't even get shot after starting to shoot. Surprisingly, of these officers, none got "murdered by their own weapon". and only two out of five got injured. So much for 80%...

Every year in that same area, we have lots of armed assault on officers with axes, knives, and whatnot - situations where US police would routinely use firearms and shoot to kill - and still, our police only kills single-digit numbers of these attackers per year, and only fires usually less than a hundred, and rarely more than 300 bullets per year. And is having less cops killed while doing so.

Frankly, what they told you at your academy is the same bullshit as the "I feared for my life" excuse used by cops. In every other 1st world country, cops are held to higher standards in regard to firearm use.

I know, you are an US cop, and you don't like that fact that the rest of the world views it that way. I can sympathize with you. But it stays a fact, no matter how often you try to claim that in the opinion of the US police forces, they are doing it right while the rest of the world is doing it wrong, even though they are obviously not having any of those troubles you insist they should be having.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.