Egyt museum irresponsibly damages Tut's mask, botch repair

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Egyt museum irresponsibly damages Tut's mask, botch repair

Post by Thanas »

Link
Cairo • The blue and gold braided beard on the burial mask of famed pharaoh Tutankhamun was hastily glued back on with epoxy, damaging the relic after it was knocked during cleaning, conservators at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo have said.

The museum is one of the city's main tourist sites, but in some areas, ancient wooden sarcophagi are unprotected from the public, while linen burial shrouds, mounted on walls, crumble from behind panels of glass. The vast majority of its rooms lack climate control and the roof has leaked in recent years. Tutankhamun's 3,300-year-old mask and other relics from his tomb are its top exhibits. [Note by Thanas: Sarcophagi are unprotected elsewhere too, for example in Rome. But those are stone sarcophagi. Still not good, but not qutie as bad]

Three of the museum's conservators reached by telephone on Wednesday gave differing accounts of when the incident occurred last year, and whether the beard was knocked off by accident while the mask's case was being cleaned, or was removed because it was loose.

They agree however that orders came from above to fix it quickly and that an inappropriate adhesive was used. All spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of professional reprisals.

"Unfortunately he used a very irreversible material — epoxy has a very high property for attaching and is used on metal or stone but I think it wasn't suitable for an outstanding object like Tutankhamun's golden mask," one conservator said.

"The mask should have been taken to the conservation lab but they were in a rush to get it displayed quickly again and used this quick drying, irreversible material," the conservator added.

The conservator said there is now a visible gap between the face and the beard. "Now you can see a layer of transparent yellow."

Another museum conservator, who was present at the time of the repair, said that epoxy had dried on the face of the boy king's mask and that a colleague used a spatula to remove it, leaving scratches. The first conservator, who inspects the artifact regularly, also saw the scratches and said it was clear that they had been made by a tool used to scrape off the epoxy.

Egypt's tourist industry, once a pillar of the economy, has yet to recover from nearly four years of tumult following a 2011 uprising that toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

Museums and the opening of new tombs are part of plans to revive the industry. But authorities have made no significant improvements to the Egyptian Museum since its construction in 1902, and plans to move the Tutankhamun exhibit to its new home in the Grand Egyptian Museum scheduled to open in 2018 have yet to be divulged.

Jackie Rodriguez, a tourist who witnessed the repair work on the beard in late August, provided a photo to The Associated Press showing a museum employee holding it in place as the glue sets.

"The whole job did look slapstick," she said. "It was disconcerting given the procedure occurred in front of a large crowd and seemingly without the proper tools."

Inside the Tutankhamun exhibit Thursday morning, the mask remained on display and adhesive could be seen filling a small gap between the chin and what is known as a "model beard" commonly worn by kings and gods.

Museum Director Mahmoud Halwagy said that no damage had occurred to the mask since he took over leadership of the museum last October.

"The mask is in a good condition of preservation but there is an obvious part of adhesive material very visible, this could have happened before," he said, adding that a committee of experts was investigating the incident and would release a report to the public at an unknown future date.

The burial mask, discovered by British archeologists Howard Carter and George Herbert in 1922, sparked worldwide interest in archaeology and ancient Egypt when it was unearthed along with Tutankhamun's nearly intact tomb.

"From the photos circulating among restorers I can see that the mask has been repaired, but you can't tell with what," Egyptologist Tom Hardwick said. "Everything of that age needs a bit more attention, so such a repair will be highly scrutinized."
So...if this is how they treat their top possession, what are they doing to the artifacts they have the public doesn't know about? Good thing we stopped shipping things back. More experts and more money is needed but the state doesn't have any nor do they care.

Looks like Germany will now send an expert from Mainz to fix the mistake, but still. How the fuck do you do this as an Egyptian?

EDIT: It appears that the mask was knocked off by workers in the museum who were cleaning there. THE FUCK?

Link of "repair"
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Egyt museum irresponsibly damages Tut's mask, botch repa

Post by Raw Shark »

I'm glad they used the word "slapstick," because I was picturing the Three Stooges doing this in my head from the word "spatula" onward.

LEFT GUY: Oh man, we are so screwed...

RIGHT GUY: Relax, dude. I've used this shit at my house. It'll hold it on like a motherfucker.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ewwww. In a similar (but far, far less historically significant) incident last year, the regalia for one of the "kingdoms" in the Society for Creative Anachronism was sent to its maker for cleaning and replating only for the poor guy to discover the hard way that someone had epoxied on a broken piece of one of the crowns at some point in the last few years. The plating solution dissolved the epoxy and plated the crowns in black. The cleaning job was atrocious and hugely expensive. You simply do not home-fix extremely valuable things with epoxy like that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Thanas wrote:Good thing we stopped shipping things back.
Did they ask for their artifacts back? If so, despite the rather obvious and correct concerns one might have about artifacts returning to such a troubled area, how is that allowed?

The artifacts are their property, if they want them back its their choice. Saying no even with valid points to not want to return them echos of the racist attitudes people have had towards natives in the past when mountains of artifacts were spirited away from their country of origin, these savages cannot be trusted with their own property so its up to Westerners to take upon the burden of protecting their shit. Its like some people saying the UN should annex Syrian archeological sites to protect them, violating borders and national sovereignty.

Don't get me wrong protecting archeological sites and artifacts is important, highly so, but I question whether such matters rate highly enough to more or less steal from nations and peoples?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Did they ask for their artifacts back? If so, despite the rather obvious and correct concerns one might have about artifacts returning to such a troubled area, how is that allowed?
There is a long-standing dispute between Germany and Egypt over various artifacts. Basically, it comes down to this - the Egyptians were offered a choice what they wanted when the things were dug up. The agreement was that half would go to Germany, half to Egypt. The Egyptians back then (1900-30) chose golden objects over objects of art. Now they recognize that some art (like Nefertiti) is much more important than gold and regret their choice. Now they just demand the whole things back.

This even went so far as to claim the Germans outright cheated and hid the bust in a tone. Too bad that being German everything was photographed and the photos show the bust clearly on display for the selection.

Due to the dispute German museums stopped loaning things to Egypt after it became clear that they planned to just take them and never return them.
The artifacts are their property, if they want them back its their choice.
a) They are not their property.
b) If anything this article makes a clear case on how even more artifacts should be taken and placed in the hand of experts. This shit would not fly in any western museum. Heck, it would not even fly in a first-semester course on artifacts. It would be one thing if this were an isolated incident, but Egypt's history (and that of the Middle East with the exception of Israel, Yemen and Jordan) is filled with the Government not giving a single shit. Heck, not even the Pyramids are adequately cared for, nor are museums protected.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:a) They are not their property.
Neither are they the property of their European colonial masters, whose white faces have occupied and ruled them for decades.
Thanas wrote:b) If anything this article makes a clear case on how even more artifacts should be taken and placed in the hand of experts. This shit would not fly in any western museum. Heck, it would not even fly in a first-semester course on artifacts. It would be one thing if this were an isolated incident, but Egypt's history (and that of the Middle East with the exception of Israel, Yemen and Jordan) is filled with the Government not giving a single shit. Heck, not even the Pyramids are adequately cared for, nor are museums protected.
Between a civilization destroying its heritage due to bad attitude towards history and being robbed of its heritage by its conquerors, what woud you choose?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Stas Bush wrote:Between a civilization destroying its heritage due to bad attitude towards history and being robbed of its heritage by its conquerors, what woud you choose?
By far the former, because at least it preserves the history and can be given back to the rightful owners should they ever reach a place where it could be expected they would care for their history properly. The other way means that history can be lost forever and then all anybody can do at a later date is wish some other action would have been taken. One outcome is bad from a certain point of view, but temporary, and the other is objectively bad forever.
Joun_Lord wrote:

The artifacts are their property, if they want them back its their choice. Saying no even with valid points to not want to return them echos of the racist attitudes people have had towards natives in the past when mountains of artifacts were spirited away from their country of origin, these savages cannot be trusted with their own property so its up to Westerners to take upon the burden of protecting their shit. Its like some people saying the UN should annex Syrian archeological sites to protect them, violating borders and national sovereignty.

Don't get me wrong protecting archeological sites and artifacts is important, highly so, but I question whether such matters rate highly enough to more or less steal from nations and peoples?
If they can't or won't do their duty in protecting these sites/artifacts and preserving them for future generations to study, they shouldn't have them. It's far better for them to be taken and preserved than to have something priceless be destroyed and lost for all time. If that means hurting some people's feelings along the way then so be it.

If it seems to harsh think about taking away a child's treasured possession for safe keeping and returning it when they are old enough to properly care for it. This is something that happens often and nobody bats an eye when we do it to children, so why bat an eye when we do it to a nation?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

If it seems to harsh think about taking away a child's treasured possession for safe keeping and returning it when they are old enough to properly care for it. This is something that happens often and nobody bats an eye when we do it to children, so why bat an eye when we do it to a nation?
Because we're not racist shitheads who compare other countries to children?
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

A country isn't a race.
Truth fears no trial.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ralin wrote:
Because we're not racist shitheads who compare other countries to children?
Nation doesn't equal race dipshit. Plus, this isn't somebody saying blacks are dumber than whites without proof, Egypt has already demonstrated that they only care about these artifacts because they bring in tourist dollars and beyond this incident is storing them poorly and all but ensuring that they won't last. Plus given their stupid religious views, unstable governments, and general lack of contribution to the world at large I don't think Egypt deserves to sit at the big kids table, let alone be treated as an equal by the west.

Also, why should they have the right to deny the world this history just because they happen to live where it happened?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Tanasinn wrote:A country isn't a race.
Last I checked Egypt is a nation state with an easily defined ethnic majority so what does this hair splitting achieve?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Nation doesn't equal race dipshit.
"I'm not racist against black people, I just don't like their stupid culture and all the crimes they keep committing."
Plus, this isn't somebody saying blacks are dumber than whites without proof
It's not racism if I can prove it.
Egypt has already demonstrated that they only care about these artifacts because they bring in tourist dollars and beyond this incident is storing them poorly and all but ensuring that they won't last.
Which is one hundred percent an internal matter of the Egyptian people. National pride and sovereignty trump your conception of artistic and historical value.
Plus given their stupid religious views, unstable governments, and general lack of contribution to the world at large I don't think Egypt deserves to sit at the big kids table, let alone be treated as an equal by the west.
So again, racist colonial propaganda of the sort that justified western imperialism in the first place.
Also, why should they have the right to deny the world this history just because they happen to live where it happened?
For exactly the same reason America can deny China or Mexico the ability to drill for oil in Alaska.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OK, drop the Racism argument. Get back on the main topic, or get out of the thread.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If an artifact is physically in Germany, and is being preserved carefully, and the Egyptians want it returned to Egypt but are NOT prepared to preserve it carefully, I think the Germans are justified in wanting the artifact to stay in their keeping. Especially if a lawful Egyptian government signed an agreement not at gunpoint about which artifacts they would choose to keep and (for example) chose to keep artifacts made of gold rather than keep precious artwork.

If the French chose to sign over control of the Mona Lisa to a bunch of Martians in exchange for a big pile of platinum bling, and a later French government wanted it returned while showing general incompetence at preserving their other paintings... I would not be very sympathetic to the future French government.

Conversely, if the Germans become flagrantly incompetent at preserving the artifacts in the future, or seem likely to become incompetent, while the Egyptians are more competent... the artifacts should go back to Egypt in that case.
Ralin wrote:
Egypt has already demonstrated that they only care about these artifacts because they bring in tourist dollars and beyond this incident is storing them poorly and all but ensuring that they won't last.
Which is one hundred percent an internal matter of the Egyptian people. National pride and sovereignty trump your conception of artistic and historical value.
This is actually a matter I think is still up for dispute. Does culture transcend nationalism or vice versa? The very idea of nationalism is one hell of a lot newer than the ancient Egyptian relics we're debating over. It is entirely possible that these artifacts will continue to exist long after 'nationalism' as we know it is obsolete as a political ideal.

Unless, of course, the artifacts are destroyed by nationalism. Might that be desirable?

I doubt it. Because... so far, history has not been very kind in how it judges nations that try to erase their own history, for the sake of political or religious agendas.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I had a reply, but will refrain from posting it in light of the mod warning.

That said, I think that this current discussion is on topic given that it's cropped up due to Egypt having shown no ability or desire to safe guard objects of great historical value, and in this case actively damaging them for short sighted reasons. It should be valid to ask where the rights of a single state end and the rights of the rest of the world begin with regards to things that literally cannot be replaced.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Neither are they the property of their European colonial masters, whose white faces have occupied and ruled them for decades.
Again, wrong. Egypt signed a free agreement with Germany which was very generous to them. They financed no digs, the financial risk was 100% German and they got the right to chose which ones they wanted to keep. It is very hard to find a more generous agreement. (I shall also note that the Egyptian state has never cared much for its heritage unless it could be used to prop up nationalism. This is a country where mummies were used for firewood well until the 1940s).
Between a civilization destroying its heritage due to bad attitude towards history and being robbed of its heritage by its conquerors, what woud you choose?
The latter, if the conquerors care more about protecting the heritage of the conquered. You ever wonder why so many ancient art works were protected at all? Because Rome spent massive sums once it had achieved political sovereignty in the east.
Simon_Jester wrote:Conversely, if the Germans become flagrantly incompetent at preserving the artifacts in the future, or seem likely to become incompetent, while the Egyptians are more competent... the artifacts should go back to Egypt in that case.
Indeed.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

This isn't like stealing stuff out of your colony at gunpoint anyway, Egypt was a colony for exactly five years, 1914 - 1919--and of Britain. Defeated and broken Weimar Germany hardly had any colonial power over independent Egypt with its own military in the 1920s and 30s. In fact, the Egyptians were waiting for an opportune time to ally with Germany to kick the British out of the canal come 1940. And they had an army to help with. Before 1914, Egypt was a component of the Ottoman Empire, again had its own army, and had some non-trivial latitude to say no to the British in the country--and the Germans weren't the British, but were instead suspicious rivals of Britain. Do you really think some Egyptian administration was unable to say no to German in the 1890s? The British, perhaps, but the Germans?

The colonial dichotomy is terrible because it ignores contextual individualized relations between states and creates a false supposition of white/nonwhite solidarities and oppressions in the period.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think that there could be an issue here with poverty and relatively low levels of education in Egypt- I suspect it's harder to find people in Egypt who are fully trained and competent to repair these artifacts, and to retain people of the sort who, through education, have learned to do the research on how to fix an item of irreplaceable and priceless nature.

In a country like Egypt today, it'd also be harder to keep corrupt clowns out of the leadership position... which would help explain the pressure from on high to 'fix it fast.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think that there could be an issue here with poverty and relatively low levels of education in Egypt- I suspect it's harder to find people in Egypt who are fully trained and competent to repair these artifacts, and to retain people of the sort who, through education, have learned to do the research on how to fix an item of irreplaceable and priceless nature.

In a country like Egypt today, it'd also be harder to keep corrupt clowns out of the leadership position... which would help explain the pressure from on high to 'fix it fast.'
They got educated people. For example, one of the greatest experts on the destruction of the Serapeum and the library is Egyptian. Problem is the leadership of the state does not care besides what makes them money and keeps the masses quiet. I am fully confident that if Egyptian experts were able to do things on their own with enough funding this would not have happened, nor would the antiquities in Egypt be in the state that they are in.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm not so much thinking of the historians as of the staff required to make a museum function as a museum. You need everyone to understand the significance of the artifacts. Because one ignorant clown whose response to "don't handle the artifact that way" is "lol whatever" can cause a lot of harm.

And, at the same time, at the top level you need a society with a stable, educated leadership that understands and shows some respect- rule by military dictators or theocrats isn't very good for this.

You touched on the 'misrule' aspect I mentioned second, but I think the first is also an issue. And the general lack of surplus funds in Egypt, combined with the misrule reducing funds to hire high quality personnel and increasing the pressure to use the artifacts as tourist traps, contributes a lot.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

For the record, I do not oppose historical relics being conserved by caretakers. I oppose the idea that taking something from a weaker nation in the past gives you any right to it in the present, or that the caretaker acquires property rights to the relics because he took good care of them. He is nothing but a caretaker, and that is all.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In this case, the Germans acquired many artifacts through what was as close to a fair and bilateral agreement as could possibly exist between a large state and a small state. As Duchess points out, Egypt was in no way a colonial dependent of Germany and could certainly have said "no" to them and gotten away with it.

It is also an open question where we draw the line between saying "X should keep the artifact as a caretaker, because given conditions in Y from which the artifact came, they cannot take care of it safely" and saying "X owns the artifact and Y doesn't." It's not an area where property is easily defined.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Stas Bush wrote:For the record, I do not oppose historical relics being conserved by caretakers. I oppose the idea that taking something from a weaker nation in the past gives you any right to it in the present, or that the caretaker acquires property rights to the relics because he took good care of them. He is nothing but a caretaker, and that is all.
Part of being a caretaker involves deciding who is competent to take reasonably good care of an artifact. All legal issues aside, if a priceless Egyptian artifact is being properly cared for in Berlin and Egypt wants it back so they can melt it down for it's metal content...then I think the Germans would have every right to hang on to it since giving it back to it's "rightful" owners would result in it's destruction. It's not like they're occupying part of Egypt with troops, they're hanging on to a piece of history that the entire world can benefit from.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Borgholio wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:For the record, I do not oppose historical relics being conserved by caretakers. I oppose the idea that taking something from a weaker nation in the past gives you any right to it in the present, or that the caretaker acquires property rights to the relics because he took good care of them. He is nothing but a caretaker, and that is all.
Part of being a caretaker involves deciding who is competent to take reasonably good care of an artifact.
Which is all well and good if you're a benevolent but it takes the biscuit that the 'caretaker' also gets to be the 'arbitrator' of who is and isn't competent and it shouldn't take a genius to point out the obvious flaw in such a scenario.

If you were the member of the British Museum's Board of Trustees for example you would first argue that stolen cultural artefacts were legally purchased. Then add that the people requesting their heritage back 'can not take care of them properly' and then argue (with a straight face no less) that more people could view them in London then that other place.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The accusation is fair- but a part of it IS undermined when the country that wants the artifacts back does things like break chunks off a burial mask and try to stick them back on with epoxy.