European parliament wants to break up google

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

European parliament wants to break up google

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/europ ... le-2014-11
The European Parliament Just Voted To Break Up Google

The European Parliament has passed a historic vote to break up US tech giant Google.

The EU doesn’t actually have the power to break up the company, but it does send a message to Google that the EU is unhappy with its business practises.

Legislators in Strasbourg voted 458 to 173 in favour of the proposal.

The European Parliament has never voted to break up a company before, making this a historic decision. The antitrust commission is concentrating on four areas of investigation:

The way Google displays its search services compared to its competitors.
How Google uses content from other websites.
Google’s dominance over advertising on search terms.
Restrictions that surround how advertisers can move their campaigns to other search engines.
There’s no specific mention of Google in the vote, but the decision makes it clear that the EU is unhappy with its search engine’s dominance. Google has been the subject of a four-year anti-trust investigation in Europe, which still hasn’t reached a conclusion.

It’s unlikely that Europe will try and separate Google’s search business from its other products, but the strong message could lead to a resolution in the anti-trust dispute. Google has suggested a series of concessions, but all have been rejected. If the dispute continues, Google could face a fine of up to $US5 billion.

In a statement released to the media, the draft bill’s authors explained the reasoning behind their decision:

In case the proceedings against Google carry on without any satisfying decisions and the current anti-competitive behaviour continues to exist, a regulation of the dominant online web search should be envisaged.

Google dominates the European search engine market, with 90% of web searches passing through Google Search. That’s a far bigger share of the market than the US, where Google accounts for 68% of searches.

The US company has already tried to work with European companies to try and ease their worries about its service.

In October, Google removed thumbnail images and snippets of text from news results belonging to a group of German newspapers. The publisher, Axel Springer, was angry that Google was reposting its content to enhance search results. But the German publishing group later scrapped its plan to reduce its Google results to headlines after traffic plummeted.

A letter published by Axel Springer chief executive Mathias Döpfner claimed that German publishers are “afraid of Google” because of its dominance.
This article explains better WHY someone wants to
Google Only Has Itself To Blame If Europe Succeeds In Breaking Up The Company

If Google gets broken up because it’s a monopoly, it will be mostly Google’s fault.

Today, the European Union took the first step in that extraordinary process: EU parliament members voted in favour of breaking up Google in order to end its monopoly in search. In Europe, 90% of search results come from Google.

To be clear: We are a long, long way from actually seeing any part of Google hived off into a competing entity. It probably won’t happen.

But the fact that regulatory bodies here are even considering it tells you just how many enemies Google has made over the years, and how obvious its monopoly is.

Google is more dominant in Europe than in the US, even though it is an American company with a towering stateside presence. Everyone admits that Google is a de facto monopoly. Peter Thiel, the libertarian tech investor, has said so. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer thinks Google is a monopoly. Yelp has lobbied the EU, arguing the same. The US FTC has investigated Google for monopoly practices, although it has concluded no significant antitrust action needs be taken.

Even Google chairman Eric Schmidt has admitted “we’re in that area.” Schmidt and Page once declined to testify to Congress on the topic of their monopoly status.

The fact that it monopolises search is not in itself a bad thing. Merely being a monopoly is not a transgression, even in Europe. (It’s often a sign of natural success.) Rather, EU antitrust law applies when companies abuse their monopoly to manipulate markets around them unfairly.

On that measure, Google has more than qualified for scrutiny over the way it distorts markets that have nothing to do with search.

(the next section is images, so I suggest you click on the article's link to read the article with images as it makes it more clear)

The best evidence for that came from Yelp and a coalition of companies it has formed who believe they are being screwed out of their natural, “organic” ranking in search results because Google simply dumps its own — often unhelpful — content on top of the “real” search ranking of which sites are best.

Yelp’s evidence was elegant and simple: It used Google’s own search API to create a browser extension that displayed Google search results without results that include promo boxes generated from Google+, the unpopular identity/social network product that Google launched to counter Facebook. The extension shows you the “real” result generated by Google’s algorithm, without the self-promotional fluff that Google layers on top of it.

(further images - click on link)

The difference is alarming. Hotel review sites like Tripadvisor — which have hundreds of reader reviews per hotel, and are thus good quality search results if you’re looking for hotels — get buried under Google’s own Google+ review boxes, in which only a handful of people have written reviews. It’s difficult to argue that Google is serving the “best” hotel results if its own algorithm is being crammed down under auto-generated promo boxes for Google’s own properties.

You should take this argument with a punch of salt: Yelp is an avowed enemy of Google.

Yet … it’s compelling. Yelp is not alone. Dozens of companies believe Google uses its search might to dictate terms in industries that Google itself does not compete in. Expedia, TripAdvisor, Microsoft and a bunch of smaller companies have complained that Google sets competition rules within their industries.

Even adultery website AshleyMadison has a case: It cannot advertise on certain Google properties, but Match.com can. Google doesn’t run dating sites, but it sets the rules through which they can advertise against each other.

Over the years, all these complainers have piled up into a veritable tidal wave of discontent against Google. The company, because it is so successful and so dominant, has created an army of enemies that want to see it brought down.

In Europe, they’re making progress.
So it seems to be arguing that

1. Google is using its monopoly to support its businesses in other fields unrelated to the one its having a monopoly in.

This looks similar to the browser wars when Microsoft tried to smuggle Internet explorer with Windows while competing with Netscape

2. Google seems to have some weird rules which limits other companies (in areas it supposedly doesn't compete in) advertising

I don't even know why they would have such limitations if Google doesn't compete with them. Can anyone explain. And what are the ramifications of the EU's decision. Because it seems likely there will be either a fine or some more negotiations.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: European parliament wants to break up google

Post by Purple »

My uneducated guess is that this will end in a nice little settlement where the EU gets to pad its recession emptied coffers whilst pretending to the moral high ground. And things will go on as before.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Purple wrote:My uneducated guess is that this will end in a nice little settlement where the EU gets to pad its recession emptied coffers whilst pretending to the moral high ground. And things will go on as before.
OR - The EU is taking anti-cartell regulations serius? Like they did with Microsoft?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

LaCroix wrote:
Purple wrote:My uneducated guess is that this will end in a nice little settlement where the EU gets to pad its recession emptied coffers whilst pretending to the moral high ground. And things will go on as before.
OR - The EU is taking anti-cartell regulations serius? Like they did with Microsoft?
My heart would love this to be true but my mind is too cynical to believe it until I see it happen.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Google Only Has Itself To Blame If Europe Succeeds In Breaking Up The Company
I don't believe that. The timing makes it hard to trust Europe's motives here - this feels less like a principled opposition to monopolistic power than an attempt to fuck over a company they think should be more helpful to their plans to censor the internet.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Purple wrote:My heart would love this to be true but my mind is too cynical to believe it until I see it happen.
Except it already happened to Microsoft, as was pointed out to you.

Anyway, the European Parliament doesn't have authority on this matter, the European Commission does. The Commission was probing Google for antitrust violations as far back as 2010. The parliamentary vote is a symbolic 'get on with it already' gesture.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

In other EU vs Google news:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -googlecom
EU to Google: expand 'right to be forgotten’ to Google.com
The US search company comes under pressure from European data regulators who say the ruling on visibility of search results should apply internationally

European data regulators are set to instruct Google to apply “right to be forgotten” search result deletions outside of Europe on Google.com.

The Article 29 cross-European panel of data protection watchdogs announced its guidance that search result removals should be carried out beyond local European domains such as google.co.uk, google.fr and google.de to prevent circumvention of the right to be forgotten law.

“De-listing decisions must be implemented in such a way that they guarantee the effective and complete protection of data subjects’ rights and that EU law cannot be circumvented,” Article 29 said in a statement. “Limiting de-listing to EU domains on the grounds that users tend to access search engines via their national domains cannot be considered a sufficient means to satisfactorily guarantee the rights of data subjects according to the ruling.”

‘De-listing should also be effective on all relevant .com domains’
The right to be forgotten ruling allows Europeans to apply to remove outdated information about them from search engine listings. Google has approximately a 90% market share of search in Europe, making it the primary focus of the rulings and watchdog attention.

Google’s initial implementation of the ruling requires users to fill out a form, which is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The search results may then be removed from a local European domain, but not from the US search giant’s main google.com domain or other non-European domains.

Since launching its webform for right to be forgotten requests in May, 174,266 requests have been filed for 602,479 links according to the company. Google has removed 352,450 links or 58.5% of the requested search results from across Europe.

France ranks top with 34,632 requests for 105,593 links, Germany second with 29,528 requests for 103,089 links and the UK third with 22,467 requests for 81,413 links.

Only searches that include a person’s name will provoke the search result blocks under the right to be forgotten ruling. Searches for the same article or website that do not include the name, instead relying on other keywords, will still show the search result.

Google also places a warning on named searches that “some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe”.

Article 29 considers this insufficient to satisfy the ruling stating that: “in practice, this means that in any case de-listing should also be effective on all relevant .com domains.”

“We haven’t yet seen the Article 29 Working Party’s guidelines, but we will study them carefully when they’re published,” a Google spokesman told the Guardian.

The Article 29 working group represents all the major data regulators across Europe and issues guidelines on pan-European regulatory issues. But it is down to the data regulators in the individual countries, including the UK’s Information commissioners office (Ico), to enforce the guidelines.

“We will use these guidelines, which we played a significant part in developing, as the basis for our own implementation of the judgment. This will reflect the specific requirements of the UK Data Protection Act,” said David Smith, Ico deputy commissioner and director of data protection in a statement to the Guardian. “In the coming weeks we will publish our own version of the guidelines and information for the public to help them understand when they can expect a search result based on their name to be delisted.”

“The internet brings an international element to our work, and in reality our powers are limited to enforcement against data controllers within our jurisdiction. Nevertheless, the effect of the judgement should not be easily circumvented, meaning that delisting should be effective on all relevant domains. This means that removing links to a .co.uk search engine, but not to a .com search engine that is readily accessible in the UK, is unlikely to be enough to do what the ruling requires,” Smith said.
That should be interesting, as removing items from .com would be changing results for non-EU users. Given google redirects to the regional pages (where they do alter the results), I imagine they'll argue that the EU has little say over what goes on .com.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

They keep that up and Google might just close all their European domains. Doubt it would happen, but I bet it gets threatened.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

InsaneTD wrote:They keep that up and Google might just close all their European domains. Doubt it would happen, but I bet it gets threatened.
That would be great. Now, if they took Amazon with them I´d ramp great up to awesome.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

How much revenue would Google lose anyway if they did close their European domains? Is Europe a more profitable location than the US? Intuitively I would have thought yes given the fact they have a bigger slice of the market in the EU than US and the two economies are pretty close in size in nominal terms.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

They'd still have a lot of European traffic to the "Google.com" domain, although it would make advertising with European partner sites much more complicated. As the article says, there's nothing the EU regulators could do about that except encouraging national-level regulators to censor Google, which would be unpopular.

If Google threatens to pull out of their European domains, the national-level regulators will probably back down.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

salm wrote:
InsaneTD wrote:They keep that up and Google might just close all their European domains. Doubt it would happen, but I bet it gets threatened.
That would be great. Now, if they took Amazon with them I´d ramp great up to awesome.
I second that. There is nothing more annoying than being redirected to a local domain instead of .com. That's one of the principal reasons why I am sticking with Yahoo.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

So, what do they do if Google decides to just give them the finger? It's a US company, so I don't see just how much authority they can hold over it. Realistically speaking, the only thing they can do to force Google into anything is block it entirely, and that would be... less than popular with the masses. And considering how many companies they keep buying out, and the diversity of what those companies do, I really doubt Google has any interest in splitting off any of the profitable portions.

Google does hold entirely more power than I'm comfortable with, and it isn't exactly comforting that their acquisitions are starting to make it look like they have aspirations for becoming Skynet. But as far as putting advertisements at the top of search results, or having their own stuff at the top... That's something I sort of expect. Ads are how you make money on the internet. And I'd be genuinely surprised for a company to not try and promote their own stuff.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Google must have infrastructure in Europe, so, seizure of local assets? Fines?

How did Google get such a massive market share in Europe anyway?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

InsaneTD wrote:Google must have infrastructure in Europe, so, seizure of local assets? Fines?

How did Google get such a massive market share in Europe anyway?
My guess would be because it's the default search engine for many browsers. And most people don't care what they use as long as it works.

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:So, what do they do if Google decides to just give them the finger? It's a US company, so I don't see just how much authority they can hold over it. Realistically speaking, the only thing they can do to force Google into anything is block it entirely, and that would be... less than popular with the masses.
Levy massive fine at them, then if they don't pay confiscate every single payment going from EU to Google to cover it?
And considering how many companies they keep buying out, and the diversity of what those companies do, I really doubt Google has any interest in splitting off any of the profitable portions.
Look up Bell System. If EU wants to do anything about Google monopoly, now is last time because that fucked up "free trade" agreement between EU and USA will give it even more power than SAFE HARBOR did.
InsaneTD wrote:How did Google get such a massive market share in Europe anyway?
Because SAFE HARBOR means US companies need to do jack shit about EU regulations and not only save a lot of money that way, they can exploit mined data to monetize it no EU company can?

EU IT market is basically US colony mined for profits save for a few entrenched local companies that sprung up before competition noticed and it will remain so until EU will get a dose of COMMUNI... I mean, equalizing regulations :?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Irbis wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:So, what do they do if Google decides to just give them the finger? It's a US company, so I don't see just how much authority they can hold over it. Realistically speaking, the only thing they can do to force Google into anything is block it entirely, and that would be... less than popular with the masses.
Levy massive fine at them, then if they don't pay confiscate every single payment going from EU to Google to cover it?
Google could then just pull all advertising out of everything Europe-related. Which would cripple the revenue of a shitton of websites, since Google largely has that market cornered. Unfortunately, Google has reached the point where it has its fingers in damn near everything. And it's got a big enough share of most of the stuff it has its fingers in to use much of that as bargaining chips. Odds are it would just pay any fines that anybody would consider throwing at them, though. Google pulls in unfathomable amounts of money.
And considering how many companies they keep buying out, and the diversity of what those companies do, I really doubt Google has any interest in splitting off any of the profitable portions.
Look up Bell System. If EU wants to do anything about Google monopoly, now is last time because that fucked up "free trade" agreement between EU and USA will give it even more power than SAFE HARBOR did.
That's... less than comforting.
InsaneTD wrote:How did Google get such a massive market share in Europe anyway?
Because SAFE HARBOR means US companies need to do jack shit about EU regulations and not only save a lot of money that way, they can exploit mined data to monetize it no EU company can?

EU IT market is basically US colony mined for profits save for a few entrenched local companies that sprung up before competition noticed and it will remain so until EU will get a dose of COMMUNI... I mean, equalizing regulations :?
Doesn't hurt that they managed to put together a search algorithm that seems to return results people like. And, as mentioned, most browsers default to Google as the home page anymore. And, of course, it can get more share because so many website search features are powered by Google.

Fortunate that Google is less malevolent than it could be, I guess.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Google could then just pull all advertising out of everything Europe-related. Which would cripple the revenue of a shitton of websites, since Google largely has that market cornered. Unfortunately, Google has reached the point where it has its fingers in damn near everything. And it's got a big enough share of most of the stuff it has its fingers in to use much of that as bargaining chips. Odds are it would just pay any fines that anybody would consider throwing at them, though. Google pulls in unfathomable amounts of money.
And? It would also mean no revenue for Google. I am strangely sure a lot of companies would love to pick up that advertising instead. Look at what China did - thrown enough red tape at Google to slow it down and allow local companies to grow big enough.
That's... less than comforting.
Yes. If the agreement comes to pass as it is now, Google will be able to sue EU for daring to fine them... :?
Doesn't hurt that they managed to put together a search algorithm that seems to return results people like. And, as mentioned, most browsers default to Google as the home page anymore. And, of course, it can get more share because so many website search features are powered by Google.
Thy default to Google because Google bought most of them, sometimes covertly. Frankly, I don't see it going away without some regulation similar to 'stop including IE' passed against Microsoft.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

It might also have something to do with the fact that Google has become the gold standard for How To Search Engine. Nobody uses Yahoo as a verb, and Bing just comes off as a desperate wannabe.

Google's far from perfect these days, but any honest discussion has to acknowledge that their primacy couldn't have grown without them dominating the search engine market by being better at it. Would I prefer a non-tracking search engine? Maybe, but Duck Duck Go tried that, and they keep feeding me German search results for shit, so...yeah. To a certain extent, there's some proof somewhere to be found amidst a sea of pudding.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

White Haven wrote:It might also have something to do with the fact that Google has become the gold standard for How To Search Engine.
But are they gold standard because they're good, or because their monopole lets them throw more money at the problem than the competition can?

You might as well have said AT&T provided better service than competitors, but it was better for all concerned to sit through a few years of reorganisation caused by breaking up the monopolist than let them continue as always.

By the way, your approach is US-centric. In China, people think Baidu, not Google, when it comes to searching web. In IT-world, you often are biggest just because you were first.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Google has been better since they were a half-assed startup, they were better when they were one peer among many, and they're better now even with big dick-wavers like Microsoft trying to make inroads. So I'm going to go with 'they're better.' :V
Truth fears no trial.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Are they really? By what objective measure have you measured this? I generally get the same results regardless of what search engine I use. Unless of course you consider localized searches to somehow be an advantage.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Amazingly, I didn't feel it necessary to mention Baidu in a discussion about the relative IT markets between the US and Europe. Dick.

And yes, they became big because they were better. Look at Google's early days, when Yahoo and Lycos and Dogpile shit like that were already big. Google beat the existing search engines senseless by being better than they were. They weren't first, and they couldn't leverage being bigger because they weren't big yet. Fuck, they were so broke that they home-built server chassis out of plywood to save money. Other search engines have at least closed the gap by now, but in the early days? Google made waves by actually getting shit done, and that's how they became big. Success that stems from actually being superior isn't a sin.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Considering Google casually dodges taxes over in Europe, I really doubt the EU is gonna bother. The US alone is a huge market and can make Google plenty of money. Not as much as being in Europe, too, but they still get lots and lots of money over here. The EU could hurt them, yeah, but in so doing would alienate far more websites than they care for. No Google adsense means less tailored ads for most websites. No tailored ads means fewer adclicks. Fewer adclicks means advertisers will reduce how much they pay per page view. People would be mad about that. And anyone with a GMail account would be mad that they have just lost access to it.

The EU could do something, it just is a question of if the consequences to all the people who love what Google is currently providing them would consider it worth it.
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Purple wrote:Are they really? By what objective measure have you measured this? I generally get the same results regardless of what search engine I use. Unless of course you consider localized searches to somehow be an advantage.
As someone who has been part of a comparison of Google, Yahoo, and Bing I can confirm that at least as of three years ago Google was the superior search engine.