Harvard class fails (1964) Literacy Test

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Harvard class fails (1964) Literacy Test

Post by Borgholio »

Trivial, just bend local space into continuous curvature. Say, a black hole might help :wink:
If we have ourselves a convenient and portable black hole, why not just use it to dispose of the racist douches who wrote this test? That'd be far more entertaining to watch. :)
First word beginning with "L". Meaning, "last". But can also be "literacy" I guess :P
Yes but it doesn't say to pull the letter from the sentence itself. They obviously expect one to find a letter in a number, of course. :-P
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Borgholio wrote:
Trivial, just bend local space into continuous curvature. Say, a black hole might help :wink:
If we have ourselves a convenient and portable black hole, why not just use it to dispose of the racist douches who wrote this test? That'd be far more entertaining to watch. :)

I think that at the time this test was in use Jim Crow laws would prevent using a black hole to dispose of white trash.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I think that at the time this test was in use Jim Crow laws would prevent using a black hole to dispose of white trash.
So they would have forcibly segregated the black holes and white holes?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:
So they would have forcibly segregated the black holes and white holes?
Precisely. Which means white trash get thrown into the backward parallel universe where they get ass-raped by their own shit every time they take a hard dump, to mix Star Trek: The Animated Series and Red Dwarf references. No objection.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

The debate about the definition of a line is exactly what is wrong with this test. There is common colloquial definition versus mathematical academic definition.
Difference in definitions of same word is common when you are looking at it from academic discipline to academic discipline or to colloquial use... or even the same academic discipline with different textbook authors providing their own definition.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The very fact that there's a debate going on illustrates explicitly why this test was so broken and unethical (apart from the whole denying voting rights upon the basis of race thing). Even if the person taking the test managed to complete it in time, all the examiner has to do is say it's wrong, and the definitions in question being used are completely changeable. A line can't be a circle, or can it?

It's a pretty good illustration of how to fuck people over in a surprisingly intelligent manner... but they're none the less fucked for it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.